GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GravityX
Member since 2013 • 865 Posts

The primary factor in deciding which next generation console is better, is apparently the 1080p equation.

But I ask at what cost?

Many games are suffering in textures and assets to achieve what has become the "buzz" word of this generation.

And to make it fair, I will only compare the consoles to each other.

Hermits we know you are the leet, so please sideline it.

I present examples:

And bonus round:

Can you picked out the 1080P PS4 image?

So do we want to say your game is 1080p or do want a quality image. Not trying to inflame anyone, but us gamers should be expecting more from both console makers.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50494 Posts

Darker =/= better.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Just wait for dat DX12

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

That seems more so a lighting, and texture streaming issue than just lower resolution textures. The XO images have more range of values from black to light than the PS4 images.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

ALL FALSE AND CHERRY PICKED SCREENS

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GravityX

@lostrib said:

Just wait for dat DX12

pfft..PS4 is getting Mantle...that is going to make the PS4 sing, not sold on DirectX 12 yet.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib

@GravityX: isn't mantle just for PC to replicate low level access as seen on consoles. Not sure if people on PC are even sold on Mantle yet

PinkieWinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PinkieWinkie
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

Dont know what you are trying to prove, every multiplat is factually better on PS4 besides Strider and Thief, you can cherry pick your screens all you want though.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

"at any what cost" ?

Sorry, what language is that supposed to be?

I'm not actually interested in whatever this thread is about, I'm just confused by the title.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 scatteh316

@PinkieWinkie said:

Dont know what you are trying to prove, every multiplat is factually better on PS4 besides Strider and Thief, you can cherry pick your screens all you want though.

Thief on PS4 has more graphical effects so technically it's superior on PS4...

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GravityX

@PinkieWinkie said:

Not cherry picking anything. These are the same instances in games, one at 1080p and they other at a lower resolution. However some of the 1080p picks look flatter, blurrier or missing detail all together.

Seems like corners are being cut to achieve 1080p.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 scatteh316

@GravityX said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

Not cherry picking anything. These are the same instances in games, one at 1080p and they other at a lower resolution. However some of the 1080p picks look flatter, blurrier or missing detail all together.

You are cherry picking screens and I'll tell you why in capitals so it sinks in..

IF THIS DIFFERENCE WERE TRUE THERE WOULD BE A HUNDRED THREADS MADE BY LEMMINGS POINTING IT OUT AND BASHING COWS OVER IT, BUT INSTEAD ITS JUST YOU BEING A LITTLE TROLL AND CHERRY PICKING SCREENS TO TRY AND FLAME PS4 FOR A DIFFERENCE WHICH DOES NOT EXIST.

AND ALSO EVERY PROFESSIONAL COMPARISON SITES SAYS PS4 VERSIONS ARE BETTER.

SO TROLL ALONG LITTLE ONE

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GravityX

@Dire_Weasel said:

"at any what cost" ?

Sorry, what language is that supposed to be?

I'm not actually interested in whatever this thread is about, I'm just confused by the title.

Thank you sir.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@scatteh316 said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

Thief on PS4 has more graphical effects so technically it's superior on PS4...

Compared to the XB1? Because it wasn't superior than the PC version, which included tessellation and other various features. It was also really easy to get a smooth 60fps as long as you didn't turn on the super sampling AA.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib

@scatteh316: lol, Mad

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GravityX

@scatteh316 said:

@GravityX said:

@PinkieWinkie said:

You are cherry picking screens and I'll tell you why in capitals so it sinks in..

IF THIS DIFFERENCE WERE TRUE THERE WOULD BE A HUNDRED THREADS MADE BY LEMMINGS POINTING IT OUT AND BASHING COWS OVER IT, BUT INSTEAD ITS JUST YOU BEING A LITTLE TROLL AND CHERRY PICKING SCREENS TO TRY AND FLAME PS4 FOR A DIFFERENCE WHICH DOES NOT EXIST.

AND ALSO EVERY PROFESSIONAL COMPARISON SITES SAYS PS4 VERSIONS ARE BETTER.

SO TROLL ALONG LITTLE ONE

Maybe we can start recognizing what is occurring here and stop putting our heads in the sand. Stop ignoring what you see. Also these professionals are nothing more than people like me and you, stop putting them on a pedestal.

And no one has answered the bonus question.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

xbone needs more crushed blacks and sharpness

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

So I wrote out a long post but I guess TC was editing the OP while it sent which is annoying. Never mind.

Main point was...ironically people here are accusing you of cherry picking your screens and if you are it's pretty funny because, for Need For Speed: Rivals, you've posted some screens that are in favour of PS4. Both versions are 1080p but because the Xbone struggles with it it has to compromise by losing certain graphical effects, that includes depth of field....which is what the screen is showing lol.

The comparisons of multiplats I've seen show PS4 a lot closer to the PC version than the Xbone so I'm fine with the whole 1080p thing.

Edit: Also this is a stealth Xbone scaler is rad thread lol. Bringing back the over sharpened textures and crushed blacks. Feels like 2013 again.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 misterpmedia

@magicalclick said:

@misterpmedia:

I haven't watch the vid. But, for blurry depth of field graphics, wouldn't it make sense to render it low resolution and blur it?

Ask the developers? All I know is some effects are left out of the Xbone version because it struggled with 1080p. I think most titles that are multiplat and 1080p on both the xbone had some sort of graphical omission.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

So I wrote out a long post but I guess TC was editing the OP while it sent which is annoying. Never mind.

Main point was...ironically people here are accusing you of cherry picking your screens and if you are it's pretty funny because, for Need For Speed: Rivals, you've posted some screens that are in favour of PS4. Both versions are 1080p but because the Xbone struggles with it it has to compromise by losing certain graphical effects, that includes depth of field....which is what the screen is showing lol.

The comparisons of multiplats I've seen show PS4 a lot closer to the PC version than the Xbone so I'm fine with the whole 1080p thing.

Edit: Also this is a stealth Xbone scaler is rad thread lol. Bringing back the over sharpened textures and crushed blacks. Feels like 2013 again.

Poor misterp.

a tip...... always copy before making a post.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By misterpmedia

@misterpmedia said:

@magicalclick said:

@misterpmedia:

I haven't watch the vid. But, for blurry depth of field graphics, wouldn't it make sense to render it low resolution and blur it?

@lbjkurono23 lol :(, cheer me up.

Scipio8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Scipio8
Member since 2013 • 937 Posts

Sony is mandating 1080p at any cost. Too bad the PS4 is bottlenecked.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

This has already been discussed and not only do the PS4 versions of games run at higher res, they tend to run at a higher FPS with better effects, textures etc.

"Put simply, the assets and effects are identical for each next-gen platform, but the added pixel definition on PS4 spares it from the distracting edge-crawl on thin objects that proves to be an issue on the Microsoft side." .... "The PS4's strong performance lead is the real clincher though; a wide 10fps margin flaring up for most of our campaign mode tests." - Eurogamer on BF4

"It falls to resolution to define the better console release - and in this case the PS4's full 1080p native resolution gives it a clear edge." ... "PC is the best of the four, then, with PS4 coming closest to matching it, but from a gameplay perspective you can't go too far wrong with any of them." - Eurogamer on Trials Fusion

"But on the flipside, this is a beautiful game - one of the best-looking titles to appear on next-gen - and on the PlayStation 4 in particular, it's a lovely showcase for the capabilities of next-gen hardware." - Eurogamer on Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

"On that note it's clear that the PS4 game is the definitive release of Assassin's Creed 4 on the console formats." - Eurogamer on Assassins Creed 4

"Assessing all the options in the console space, it's undoubtedly the PS4 that has an edge over the rest in visual quality." - Eurogamer on Need for Speed Rivals

"Each next-gen console version has its strengths and weaknesses, but clearly it is the PS4 game that offers a superior experience overall." - Eurogamer on COD: Ghosts

fyi, BF4 isn't 1080p on either console.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lostrib

@Scipio8: so what's the One's excuse for sucking?

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

@misterpmedia:

Cheer you up?

How about this. Everything looks better with crunched blacks.

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GravityX

@Nonstop-Madness said:

This has already been discussed and not only do the PS4 versions of games run at higher res, they tend to run at a higher FPS with better effects, textures etc.

"Put simply, the assets and effects are identical for each next-gen platform, but the added pixel definition on PS4 spares it from the distracting edge-crawl on thin objects that proves to be an issue on the Microsoft side." .... "The PS4's strong performance lead is the real clincher though; a wide 10fps margin flaring up for most of our campaign mode tests." - Eurogamer on BF4

"It falls to resolution to define the better console release - and in this case the PS4's full 1080p native resolution gives it a clear edge." ... "PC is the best of the four, then, with PS4 coming closest to matching it, but from a gameplay perspective you can't go too far wrong with any of them." - Eurogamer on Trials Fusion

"But on the flipside, this is a beautiful game - one of the best-looking titles to appear on next-gen - and on the PlayStation 4 in particular, it's a lovely showcase for the capabilities of next-gen hardware." - Eurogamer on Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

"On that note it's clear that the PS4 game is the definitive release of Assassin's Creed 4 on the console formats." - Eurogamer on Assassins Creed 4

"Assessing all the options in the console space, it's undoubtedly the PS4 that has an edge over the rest in visual quality." - Eurogamer on Need for Speed Rivals

"Each next-gen console version has its strengths and weaknesses, but clearly it is the PS4 game that offers a superior experience overall." - Eurogamer on COD: Ghosts

fyi, BF4 isn't 1080p on either console.

Obviously these "professionals" need to do a better job and they need to stop "phoning it in".

We need to demand better, they're doing all of us a disservice. But we need to get out of our own way and stop being so defensive.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Stop making threads.

Especially when you don't even have the balls to come back to the last one that you got laughed out of.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By misterpmedia

@lbjkurono23 said:

@misterpmedia:

Cheer you up?

How about this. Everything looks better with crunched blacks.

crushed how? Like smushing grapes with your feet to make wine?

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@lostrib said:

@GravityX: isn't mantle just for PC to replicate low level access as seen on consoles. Not sure if people on PC are even sold on Mantle yet

Yep and the PS4 doesn't need it but some how some xbox fanboys don't know it and actually believe that Mantle is coming to PS4..lol

@GravityX said:

Maybe we can start recognizing what is occurring here and stop putting our heads in the sand. Stop ignoring what you see. Also these professionals are nothing more than people like me and you, stop putting them on a pedestal.

So basically what your saying is don't believe DF believe me,because here the footage that you posted (which is from DF) look like the xbox one look better.

So we should ignore the horrible screen tearing,frame drops,pixel crawl and 40% lower resolution in Trials,ignore the 40% lower resolution,screen tearing,10 FPS slower and bad AA on BF4,we should ignore the 100% difference in resolution in Ghost,also ignore 100% resolution advantage in MGS5 + extra effects like dynamic skies.

What about Tomb Raider up to 30FPS faster,while having better effects,better textures,1080p cut scenes instead of the 900p the xbox one version has,or even Need for Speed which has HABO while the xbox one lack it..lol

Man stop crying...lol

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GravityX

@tormentos said:

@lostrib said:

Yep and the PS4 doesn't need it but some how some xbox fanboys don't know it and actually believe that Mantle is coming to PS4..lol

@GravityX said:

So basically what your saying is don't believe DF believe me,because here the footage that you posted (which is from DF) look like the xbox one look better.

So we should ignore the horrible screen tearing,frame drops,pixel crawl and 40% lower resolution in Trials,ignore the 40% lower resolution,screen tearing,10 FPS slower and bad AA on BF4,we should ignore the 100% difference in resolution in Ghost,also ignore 100% resolution advantage in MGS5 + extra effects like dynamic skies.

What about Tomb Raider up to 30FPS faster,while having better effects,better textures,1080p cut scenes instead of the 900p the xbox one version has,or even Need for Speed which has HABO while the xbox one lack it..lol

Man stop crying...lol

I'm glad you are here Tormenster,

I need your expert opinion. Why do you think stuff like this occurring. Do you think corners are being cut, just so Sony can slap 1080p on the box?

Why the lack of detail? Is it a streaming issue, is it a CPU bottleneck? Could PRT help?

LanceX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LanceX2
Member since 2014 • 312 Posts

......guys he actually is making a valid point. your all just dumb cows.

Maybe the game has better FPS ETC but if XO is getting better textures whats the point?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23824 Posts

@lostrib said:

Nope not sold... Mantle is PC only PS4 has no need for it.

Mantle gains only work when your cpu bound where the Mantle's less cpu overhead allows the cpu to use those freed cpu cycles to go to the other jobs speeding things up in general and or allowing more cpu cycles to feed the gpu. Problem is that with intel based cpu which are much faster then AMD cpu's clock per clock can bulldozer right through direct x's overhead and dont see any real gains from mantle.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lostrib

@lancex2 said:

......guys he actually is making a valid point. your all just dumb cows.

Maybe the game has better FPS ETC but if XO is getting better textures whats the point?

depending on the game, I would give better textures for higher FPS, and for native res

Indicud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Indicud
Member since 2013 • 745 Posts

TC got owned in his other thread and made this one because he's bitter.

And to answer TC, PS4 screens look better. I'll also take 60fps over some games like Tomb Raider that can't even hit above 30

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11120 Posts

I would rather player a game in low settings @ 1080p than to play a game in ultra settings @ 480p...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

If it was me i'd go 1080p at any cost. Prefer having shittier textures/lighting than nice textures impossible to even noticed with a vaseline layer on your screen, add in a sea of jaggies and we have the definition of fuglyness

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

Nice thread! Its good to see some positives for X1 on this site rather than the constant bashing by cows...

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12181 Posts

Those fers at Eurogamer must have eye problems! Hahahahah

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

1080p is the 720p of last generation.

This is why visual fidelity should not be the sole focus in gaming, as it prevents a game developer from creating a meaningful and lasting gamingexperience.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@GravityX said:

I'm glad you are here Tormenster,

I need your expert opinion. Why do you think stuff like this occurring. Do you think corners are being cut, just so Sony can slap 1080p on the box?

Why the lack of detail? Is it a streaming issue, is it a CPU bottleneck? Could PRT help?

That is a streaming issue texture fail to load well and give you wash out look or something totally absent,for example if you have a wall with an X the whole X may not even appear if you have streaming problems.

See on top of the motorcycle.? The line is blur on the PS4 that is a streaming issue the textures hasn't load.

It has nothing to do with PRT or the CPU.

cantloginnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 cantloginnow
Member since 2013 • 381 Posts

Yeah...1080p looks like crap on the ps4 but you know delusional Cows and their mob mentality.They'll cling to that number and they'll all scream together.Sadly,youre wasting your time TC,good thread though.

Indicud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Indicud
Member since 2013 • 745 Posts

@cantloginnow: TC you created an alt to back you up?

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

There is an issue with the PS4API+OpenGL wrapper. They mentioned this in Theif, I saw examples of this in Infamous, and here it is again in Trials. Im sure they are working on the issue.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I take the higher resolution.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I'll take the better looking game running smooth. Also I'll be the first to answer the picture question, I'm guessing the left one is 1080p but I know I am wrong because that's how things turn out.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

First off I am no Cow or Lem. I see there are people claiming that TC is cherry picking screen shots of Trials Fusion to prove his point. Can any one find a pic of a PS4 screen that looks better than the Xbox One version? I know we can't trust compressed youtube videos but isn't it strange how every comparison looks better on Xbox One?

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Jeez, I'm gonna be looking at 4k tvs later this summer.

1080p? sold that tv off last fall :P

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@dxmcat: If you are looking to buy a 4K tv in the summer and sold your 1080p tv last fall what are you currently using? And what are you going to be using a 4k tv for? I know gaming ain't it.