10 years on: The Xbox 360's greatest legacy...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DressYouUp
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts

...is the PS4.

The similarities between the two consoles is pretty astounding; it's like Sony used Microsoft's strategy as a blueprint for their own console.

The only difference is that the online infrastructure for the 360 worked.

Do you agree?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Considering the 360's blueprint was the PS2, it's all just a big cycle.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@SolidTy said:

could you elaborate on that, considering that the xbox and 360 were completely online focused machines. If you consider a machine that plays games with a controller a ps2 architect, then I think you missed a few systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I absolutely agree that the PS4's blueprint was the Xbox 360.

I do not agree with nor understand the reasoning behind SolidTy's comment about the PS2 being the Xbox 360's blueprint. If any console was the blueprint for the Xbox and the Xbox 360, it was the Dreamcast. The one thing that most defined the Xbox 360 was online gaming, which the Dreamcast laid the groundwork for; the PS2 did not contribute anything to online gaming. Microsoft also made the Xbox 360 easy to program for like the Dreamcast was; the PS2 was said to be difficult to program for. And the Xbox controller was most inspired by the Dreamcast controller.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@storm_of_swords said:

I absolutely agree that the PS4's blueprint was the Xbox 360.

I do not agree with nor understand the reasoning behind SolidTy's comment about the PS2 being the Xbox 360's blueprint. If any console was the blueprint for the Xbox and the Xbox 360, it was the Dreamcast. The one thing that most defined the Xbox 360 was online gaming, which the Dreamcast laid the groundwork for; the PS2 did not contribute anything to online gaming. Microsoft also made the Xbox 360 easy to program for like the Dreamcast was; the PS2 was said to be difficult to program for. And the Xbox controller was most inspired by the Dreamcast controller.

I kind of agree.

The only way I see the PS2 being similar is that it was a jack of all trades system, which is what the 360 was.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178833 Posts

@DressYouUp said:

...is the PS4.

The similarities between the two consoles is pretty astounding; it's like Sony used Microsoft's strategy as a blueprint for their own console.

The only difference is that the online infrastructure for the 360 worked.

Do you agree?

And the inspiration for MS was Sega.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@waahahah said:
@SolidTy said:

could you elaborate on that, considering that the xbox and 360 were completely online focused machines. If you consider a machine that plays games with a controller a ps2 architect, then I think you missed a few systems.

No, I can't go backwards into 2005-2007 arguments to regurgitate older arguments. I don't have the time to draw comparisons and debate that position again. If you don't agree, that's fine...I honestly don't care. It was discussed and a general agreement was made then. Obviously there are differences, as there are every gen, but the blueprint is there (earlier launch, DVD based, two analog setup, many peripherals sold separately, etc). The PS2 was a milk machine in terms of accessories as was the 360 by comparison. The original Xbox and PS3 however, were sold with things that came right out of the box. Obviously elements of Sega's Dreamcast are part of the modern DNA as well, but eh, whatevs.

For the record, I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 and Intellivision before Nintendo's NES ever existed. My observations are based over a long period of hardware I own.

I'm also known as a major collector and I don't trade in consoles for decades, but again to each their own.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I don't get the OP much.

If it wasn't the 360, the PS4 won't be great? What does that say about the Xbone? Or the PS3?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#9  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19511 Posts

@SolidTy said:

The blueprint for the Xbox & 360 was Sega, not Sony.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

Well i would of picked RROD or when MS decided to drop core in 2009 to chase the Wii's pot of gold with Kinect(lol).

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#12 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

Xbox's legacy will forever be trojan-horsing a PC disguised as a console. And TC is right, PS4 followed that new paradigm to greater success than even MS could. WiiU is the last real console. Console devs and gamers just want an easy to use PC built around a gamepad. Exclusives pretty much mean jack shit anymore.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yea, it's pretty crazy just how much influence the 360 had on the industry. One of the most important consoles ever.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@SolidTy said:
@waahahah said:
@SolidTy said:

No, I can't go backwards into 2005-2007 arguments to regurgitate older arguments. I don't have the time to draw comparisons and debate that position again. If you don't agree, that's fine...I honestly don't care. It was discussed and a general agreement was made then. Obviously there are differences, as there are every gen, but the blueprint is there (earlier launch, DVD based, two analog setup, many peripherals sold separately, etc). The PS2 was a milk machine in terms of accessories as was the 360 by comparison. The original Xbox and PS3 however, were sold with things that came right out of the box. Obviously elements of Sega's Dreamcast are part of the modern DNA as well, but eh, whatevs.

For the record, I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 and Intellivision before Nintendo's NES ever existed. My observations are based over a long period of hardware I own.

I'm also known as a major collector and I don't trade in consoles for decades, but again to each their own.

You're assertion that 360's blueprint is ps2 frankly is stupid, and pointless. Consoles are consoles and they are all going to be like other consoles because of that. Its pushed heavily online gaming to consoles. PS2 was much more about the single player or local MP experience. PS3 however went after the online market. Xbox 360 was all about making developers happy, especially smaller developers with live arcade. PS4 is following in that indie market chase and friendly to developers, and creating services to charge people for.

The xbox 360 was never a milk machine with accessories, it came fully functional out of box with nothing else needed. Maybe duracell and energizer walked away with a good accessory market... but xbox was all about services from the beginning and pushing online gaming. Other than being consoles, there really isn't much similarities with the xbox brand with ps2, but ps3/ps4... alot. The 1 major accessory they had was even in response to the wii's success. There aren't any accessories that are really needed though for any of the xbox's consoles (one/360/original), apart from a battery pack, getting some rechargeable batteries, or just stocking up on AA batteries. M$ is really one of the first developer focused hardware makers, up until M$ came in it didn't seem like companies like sony cared how hard it would be to make games for their system.

Where did M$ get its console blueprint from? Probably PC.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I agree, i also disagree with @Solidty , the PS2 and 360 have nowhere near the similarities the 360 and PS4 have. I suspect that general agreement that was reached was a case of "me, myself and i".

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Blueprint for success are games. People wonder why Xbone is x'boned.

Total current PS4 games = 816

Total current Xbone games = 495

*^wiki

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@waahahah: yea, Idk where people are getting the Sony and Sega connections. The Xbox brand pretty much took almost all it's cues from PC.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jag85

The Sony connection is, for the most part, not true... except for the EyeToy, which definitely inspired the Kinect. But other than that, the Xbox owes little else to the PS2.

But the Sega connection is undeniable. Almost everything, from the way its online service was handled on consoles, to the way its controllers looked and felt, was clearly based on Sega. Sure, online gaming obviously started on PC, but it was Sega that created the blueprint for how to implement online gaming on consoles. Also, Microsoft had hands-on experience with the Dreamcast, since they created a custom version of Windows CE for it, so the Dreamcast was like a testing ground for their own console. At one point, Sega and Microsoft were even considering Xbox backwards-compatibility with the Dreamcast, which would've made the Xbox like a Dreamcast 2.

DressYouUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DressYouUp
Member since 2007 • 579 Posts

Yeah, strong connection to SEGA in the early days of Xbox. Dreamcast even had Windows CE on it.

Didn't the President of SEGA ask Microsoft to buy them out before he died?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jag85

@DressYouUp said:

Yeah, strong connection to SEGA in the early days of Xbox. Dreamcast even had Windows CE on it.

Didn't the President of SEGA ask Microsoft to buy them out before he died?

Not sure about that, but Microsoft were definitely considering a Sega buyout:

Microsoft mulled Sega buyout before deciding company "didn't have enough muscle to stop Sony"

Microsoft was hoping that Sega would become their video game division, but after seeing Sega repeatedly fail against Sony, the plans fell through and Microsoft instead decided to enter the industry with their own console to take on Sony. And the rest is history.