1 TB PS4 to be revealed at Gamescom?

• 67 results
#51 Edited by Heil68 (46655 posts) -

Makes sense that HD capacity is increased as the gen progresses. I'll stick with 500 and always have room for games.

#52 Posted by Soethi6 (175 posts) -

PS4 offers here in Germany are already starting at 350 bucks. Even with a game you are at about 400-410.

#53 Posted by david61983 (264 posts) -

I'm waiting until Black Friday to pick up a PS4. What are the chances that we see a $350 holiday bundle with a couple games? Like Killzone and Knack.

#54 Posted by Caseytappy (2173 posts) -

It´s only logical that they go for a 1 TB as 3.5 inch 500 GB drives will be fased out in the rest of the world by that time .

That updated revision will probably run cooler and use less energy also .

#55 Edited by Boddicker (3016 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@Boddicker said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Why?

I'd rather a console give me the option of buying my own harddrive and using it in conjunction with my console (either via USB or internally mounted).

Just out of curiosity how do external HD's usually hook up? USB port?

As far as I know that's the only way (the original PS3 IIRC was going to have something like Firewire as well, but they removed it because of cost overruns).

An internal SATA HDD is needed for game installations (putting them on a USB device defeats the purpose of installing them), but any kind of music, photo or game save data can easily be stored externally (which also makes it very easy to move around).

If that's true couldn't a firmware update fix that problem? Has Sony said why they won't allow external HD's?

#56 Posted by coasterguy65 (6218 posts) -

There really should have been a 1TB HDD in the PS4 from the beginning, considering pretty much every game comes with a 20GB+ install.

#57 Posted by Legend002 (7490 posts) -

Meh. My quad is currently on 2TB.

#58 Posted by Boddicker (3016 posts) -

@david61983 said:

I'm waiting until Black Friday to pick up a PS4. What are the chances that we see a $350 holiday bundle with a couple games? Like Killzone and Knack.

I question if I'll have the patience to get up super early on Black Friday to grab a deal. I guess it will depend on how good the deal and if it's bundled with shit games (very likely) or not.

#59 Posted by clr84651 (5541 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@clr84651: me and another X1 owner feel different. Show me this list of "what counts". I can bring anything on my HDD to his house, and play it lolololololol

It's what is built in to a console SKU that is referred to as what it is. 500 GB SKU 1TB SKU etc. You would call your X1 a 500GB with an add on HDD.

It's not called a 2.5 TB X1 as there's no such thing, only 500GB X1s and 500GB PS4s.

#60 Posted by clr84651 (5541 posts) -

@regnaston said:
@clr84651 said:
@cainetao11 said:

Already have a 2.5 TB xbox one thanks to the june update allowing me to plug my external in. Hope Sony does it. I'll get that PS4 instead of the standard

That's not a 2.5 TB X1. That's a 500GB X1. Built in is what counts.

The external drives give us the ability to run games off them, so in essence it performs the exact same duties as the Internal without cracking the case.

As for performance degradation of USB 3.0 vs SATA as shown up thread, the differences are very marginal.

I have been running all my games off the external drive since the update, and I notice no difference in load times

I understand this, as I have done add ons as well. It is The HDD capacity that the SKU is sold at that is referred to though. X1 500GB with 1 TB external. Not a 1.5 TB X1 as there's no such model SKU sold.

#61 Posted by gago-gago (9850 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if they took out features and just changed HDD space, that's what Sony's been known for recently.

#62 Edited by cainetao11 (19033 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

@cainetao11 said:

@clr84651: me and another X1 owner feel different. Show me this list of "what counts". I can bring anything on my HDD to his house, and play it lolololololol

It's what is built in to a console SKU that is referred to as what it is. 500 GB SKU 1TB SKU etc. You would call your X1 a 500GB with an add on HDD.

It's not called a 2.5 TB X1 as there's no such thing, only 500GB X1s and 500GB PS4s.

It is the fact that I own my console that says I can call it whatever I want. There is no rule of "what counts" as you originally called this. If you, even after buying something, feel you must refer to it as what someone or thing lays it out to you, well enjoy.

#63 Posted by lostrib (41812 posts) -

@cainetao11: you should call it a 2500 GB X1

#64 Posted by cainetao11 (19033 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@cainetao11: you should call it a 2500 GB X1

Stenciling that on it NOW.

#65 Posted by clr84651 (5541 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@clr84651 said:

@cainetao11 said:

It is the fact that I own my console that says I can call it whatever I want. There is no rule of "what counts" as you originally called this. If you, even after buying something, feel you must refer to it as what someone or thing lays it out to you, well enjoy.

A system is called by how it's manufactured. A later add on doesn't change that.

#66 Edited by cainetao11 (19033 posts) -

@clr84651:

The things I own are called whatever I want to call them.

#67 Posted by Boddicker (3016 posts) -

@gago-gago said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they took out features and just changed HDD space, that's what Sony's been known for recently.

True, but what would they possibly remove? Backwards compatibility is already out and the PS4 only has 2 USB ports.

The old fat PS3's eventually had their backwards compatibility removed with the slim line and nobody really gave a shit after a month or two. Collectors still have all their old systems. I dimly remember the fat PS3's having 4 USB's but I'm probably wrong.

It's going to be a long while before I part with my PS3.

#68 Posted by Boddicker (3016 posts) -

Well............there wasn't a big reveal of the new 1 TB PS4 at Gamescom.

But you know a new PS4 SKU is coming this holiday season. We know they're replacing the WiFi antenna and improving the Bluetooth; we just don't know the size of the HD yet. Shrinking the die is looking doubtful for this SKU.