1 TB PS4 to be revealed at Gamescom?

• 67 results
#1 Edited by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

Strong rumor

When Sony began applying for a new SKU back in May it seemed they were only going to change the Wi-Fi antenna and improve the Bluetooth, but now it seems the new SKU will boast a 1 TB HD as well.

The CUH-1001A is the current PS4 launched last year. The CUH-1001X is the new PS4 waiting on the FCC for approval. The "X" symbolizes a change in HD size. The new SKU supposedly will be sold Q4 2014 and will likely come as a bundle to keep up the sales momentum.

#2 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9518 posts) -

bundle it with a game and/or a year of PSN+ for $399 and you got my money

I refuse to buy a plain PS4 (just the console with a DS4, but nothing else for $399).

I had plenty of chances of buying a PS4, I almost pre-order the Destiny bundle (but then i found out it was $450, not $399). Im still waiting for a good PS4 bundle to come along.

#3 Posted by mikhail (1139 posts) -

The PS4 should have had a 1TB hard drive to begin with, not the 500gb 5400rpm garbage that Sony decided to include with it. I mean, come on Sony, at least give people 7200rpm drives. 5400rpm is budget laptop grade nonsense.

#4 Posted by BldgIrsh (1647 posts) -

If its 50$ more... Then that's fine. But if it'll be 500$ for this ps4. It would be cheaper to get an external hard drive.

#5 Posted by bobbetybob (19183 posts) -
@bldgirsh said:

If its 50$ more... Then that's fine. But if it'll be 500$ for this ps4. It would be cheaper to get an external hard drive.

Well it would be if the PS4 actually supported them.

#6 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9518 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

Sony would be shooting them selves in the foot if they raise the price, especially now that the PS4 has been making them profit and the holiday season is coming up.

#7 Posted by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

It'll probably come bundled with Diablo 3: Ultimate Death edition for $450, and I would think there's a strong likelihood of it being sold alone. That seems to be the only game worth a half a crap coming out till 2015 and it would match the Destiny bundle pricing.

#8 Posted by Shewgenja (8473 posts) -

I refuse to buy a plain PS4 (just the console with a DS4, but nothing else for $399).

I had plenty of chances of buying a PS4, I almost pre-order the Destiny bundle (but then i found out it was $450, not $399). Im still waiting for a good PS4 bundle to come along.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Destiny bundle come with the voucher for both DLCs. That would make it a real good deal, actually.

#9 Posted by TwistedShade (3151 posts) -

Just bought a PS4 in early August too....I hope this isn't $400/$450 or I'll be crushed.

#10 Posted by BldgIrsh (1647 posts) -
#11 Posted by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

Just bought a PS4 in early August too....I hope this isn't $400/$450 or I'll be crushed.

Unless you keep a shitload of games on your HD or prefer to go digital I wouldn't worry. I was holding out for the holiday season 2014 because I knew Sony would do something like this.

#12 Edited by Alcapello (793 posts) -

Day 1.

#13 Edited by cainetao11 (16907 posts) -

Already have a 2.5 TB xbox one thanks to the june update allowing me to plug my external in. Hope Sony does it. I'll get that PS4 instead of the standard

#14 Posted by cainetao11 (16907 posts) -

@mikhail said:

The PS4 should have had a 1TB hard drive to begin with, not the 500gb 5400rpm garbage that Sony decided to include with it. I mean, come on Sony, at least give people 7200rpm drives. 5400rpm is budget laptop grade nonsense.

Did you not know that they cut costs where they could to be $400?

#15 Posted by yokofox33 (29373 posts) -

400 bucks for a 1TB system is a solid deal. Throw in a year of PS+ or a digital game download and it gets even sweeter.

#16 Posted by Snugenz (11818 posts) -

What good is more space without games to fill it.

#17 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3900 posts) -

i would rather they offer 250gb cheaper version. i am patient enough to wait 2min while a game installs

#18 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (921 posts) -

Oh damn, i already have 1 tb in my PS4, that was the first thing i did after i bought it.

#19 Posted by Shewgenja (8473 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

Sony would be shooting them selves in the foot if they raise the price, especially now that the PS4 has been making them profit and the holiday season is coming up.

That may actually be precisely why they are doing it. If they are expecting to have shortages of stock for the holiday season, then they might as well extend the profit margin per unit by making a pricier SKU. They may even phase out the 500GB SKU after the holiday season and then drop the price back down to $400 after a month or two..

Might be shady, but it would be a great way to mint some coin since the console demand is the way it is.

#20 Edited by edwardecl (2125 posts) -

I'd prefer they did a PS4 without a hard drive at all and let you buy your own... not everybody wants a 500GB or 1TB drive why not do a basic model without one.

#21 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2770 posts) -

@edwardecl: Most games require some use of the hard drive. So these games just flat out wouldn't work on the basic model. This was actually an issue last generation and I highly doubt we will see a "basic" model from Sony or Microsoft ever again.

#22 Posted by regnaston (235 posts) -

Already have a 2.5 TB xbox one thanks to the june update allowing me to plug my external in. Hope Sony does it. I'll get that PS4 instead of the standard

You're beating me.. I only have 2.3 (1.8 TB external + 500GB Internal)

#23 Edited by edwardecl (2125 posts) -
@GoldenElementXL said:

@edwardecl: Most games require some use of the hard drive. So these games just flat out wouldn't work on the basic model. This was actually an issue last generation and I highly doubt we will see a "basic" model from Sony or Microsoft ever again.

I know that, just write on the box "HDD 500GB or above required". A lot of people buy a PS4 and swap the drive out for a bigger one, why not have an option for that with a lower price PS4.

And the PS3 always came with a HDD, it's was only the Xbox360 that didn't.

#24 Posted by cainetao11 (16907 posts) -

@regnaston: sure is nice though huh? Can plug a second one in also.

#25 Posted by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

I take my hat off to you.

I can't imagine ever needing that much space. Usually I'll get a game, keep it for 2-3 months, then trade it in for store credit. Very few games I keep. Hell, the 500gb PS4 would probably do me just fine.

Right now I have 4-5 games on my 120gb PS3 slim. I have paid for several more digitally, but I took them off in preparation of Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

#26 Edited by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

i would rather they offer 250gb cheaper version. i am patient enough to wait 2min while a game installs

You realize the cost difference between 500 GB and 1 TB HD is like $20?

#27 Posted by Couth_ (10016 posts) -

Would be expected if MS and Sony just added GBs in lieu of actually lowering the price - which sucks

#28 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25600 posts) -

I think I could get through a generation with 1TB. 500GB is a joke.

Improve the shitty DS4 battery life by the end of the year and I have few reasons to hold out on a purchase.

#29 Posted by RR360DD (11619 posts) -

how exciting... not

#30 Posted by RimacBugatti (1192 posts) -

@Boddicker: I only wish they would exchange the HDD for a SSD or atleast a hybrid.

#31 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (1994 posts) -

Strong rumor

When Sony began applying for a new SKU back in May it seemed they were only going to change the Wi-Fi antenna and improve the Bluetooth, but now it seems the new SKU will boast a 1 TB HD as well.

The CUH-1001A is the current PS4 launched last year. The CUH-1001X is the new PS4 waiting on the FCC for approval. The "X" symbolizes a change in HD size. The new SKU supposedly will be sold Q4 2014 and will likely come as a bundle to keep up the sales momentum.

$499 PS4 SKU incoming!! They will not sell this for $399!

#32 Edited by farrell2k (5809 posts) -

I cannot believe everyone here getting console boners over another 500gb that they will probably never even use...

#33 Edited by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

Strong rumor

$499 PS4 SKU incoming!! They will not sell this for $399!

*facepalm*

The difference in price between 500 GB and 1 TB HD is about $20ish.

They'll probably bundle it with a game or include a free year of PS+ and maybe even some cash to spend online.

#34 Posted by stereointegrity (10701 posts) -

@mikhail said:

price of a 1tb for millions of production units adds up...that was what sony said when they decided to leave the camera out in favor of an HDD.....and thats how they kept the price to under 400

#35 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (688 posts) -

Hmmmm....I want one.

#36 Posted by clr84651 (5365 posts) -

That's not a 2.5 TB X1. That's a 500GB X1. Built in is what counts.

#37 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5794 posts) -

Meh I think 500GB is enough for me... I don't really keep a lot of games installed anyway.

#38 Posted by regnaston (235 posts) -

@cainetao11:

Yeah I like the feature. The two external drive feature is very cool as well (have not tried it yet :D )

#39 Posted by regnaston (235 posts) -
@clr84651 said:
@cainetao11 said:

That's not a 2.5 TB X1. That's a 500GB X1. Built in is what counts.

The external drives give us the ability to run games off them, so in essence it performs the exact same duties as the Internal without cracking the case.

As for performance degradation of USB 3.0 vs SATA as shown up thread, the differences are very marginal.

I have been running all my games off the external drive since the update, and I notice no difference in load times

#40 Posted by cainetao11 (16907 posts) -

@clr84651: me and another X1 owner feel different. Show me this list of "what counts". I can bring anything on my HDD to his house, and play it lolololololol

#41 Posted by cainetao11 (16907 posts) -

@regnaston:

Yeah I like the feature. The two external drive feature is very cool as well (have not tried it yet :D )

check out that guy, loll.

"it doesn't count" ............lol guess our games wont work now

#42 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9518 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Destiny bundle come with the voucher for both DLCs. That would make it a real good deal, actually.

not when you dont really care much for the game Destiny and was only considering cuz the PS4 is white in that bundle

#43 Edited by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

@Shewgenja said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

not when you dont really care much for the game Destiny and was only considering cuz the PS4 is white in that bundle

I hope they come out with 2-3 colors for the 1 TB PS4 this holiday season. I'm so tired of black.

#44 Edited by foxhound_fox (87748 posts) -

Why?

I'd rather a console give me the option of buying my own harddrive and using it in conjunction with my console (either via USB or internally mounted).

#45 Posted by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

Why?

I'd rather a console give me the option of buying my own harddrive and using it in conjunction with my console (either via USB or internally mounted).

Just out of curiosity how do external HD's usually hook up? USB port?

#46 Posted by foxhound_fox (87748 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Why?

As far as I know that's the only way (the original PS3 IIRC was going to have something like Firewire as well, but they removed it because of cost overruns).

An internal SATA HDD is needed for game installations (putting them on a USB device defeats the purpose of installing them), but any kind of music, photo or game save data can easily be stored externally (which also makes it very easy to move around).

#47 Posted by littlestreakier (2902 posts) -

Knew this would happen. Still didn't stop me from buying a PS4 last year. After last gen with the Xbox 360 and PS3 this was expected.

I bought the 20GB Pro Xbox 360 at launch then the 250GB slim version when it was released. Bought the 40GB PS3 also.

I don't think HDD space should be a deciding factor or something to be sad about. This is just my opinion but being able to play a game you want without having to wait for the "right" bundle is more important to me.

#48 Posted by regnaston (235 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Why?

As far as I know that's the only way (the original PS3 IIRC was going to have something like Firewire as well, but they removed it because of cost overruns).

An internal SATA HDD is needed for game installations (putting them on a USB device defeats the purpose of installing them), but any kind of music, photo or game save data can easily be stored externally (which also makes it very easy to move around).

The XB1 allows games to be installed on the external drive. The only thing I have on the internal drive is the OS

#49 Edited by Gue1 (9507 posts) -

I don't nor intend to buy any triple A games digitally, so this is pointless to me. I want BC or something that is actually useful without having to pay for a new subscription to have access to the feature.

#50 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2870 posts) -

Hopefully they just do what they did with the PS3 after the initial 20-60gb versions and just replace the previous model. Increase the storage and just have a single SKU, rather than the smart phone routine of charging $100 more for $10 worth of storage.