danmccarthy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 danmccarthy2
Member since 2006 • 91 Posts

Hello Comrades, I wanted to get opionions for Square PS2 games that I haven't played. I'm a hardcore Squaresoft player and didn't play some of these games that seem like they were brought in by Enix, or I just wasn't familiar with the series they were in. The games that I'm asking about are:

Grandia III

Radiata Stories

Star Ocean: Until The End of Time

Front Mission 4

Dawn of Mana

workinRPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 workinRPG
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts

Got to be Star Ocean: "TILL" The End of Time

Good battle system, LOADS to do!! The game is a true hardcore game if you want to take it to the limit

11 different endings, 4 bonus dungeons(sphere 211 is MASSIVE), item creation system(hours of fun), Fighting arena(more hours of fun) plus much more!!!

Story is ok, i have seen much better

A MUST BUY for any JRPG fan, square, square-enix lover or not

Lady_Bahamut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lady_Bahamut
Member since 2007 • 1224 Posts
Grandia 2! Great sotry and music, not to mention one of the most enjoyable battle systems out there.
vornwrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 vornwrath
Member since 2007 • 478 Posts

Hello Comrades, I wanted to get opionions for Square PS2 games that I haven't played. I'm a hardcore Squaresoft player and didn't play some of these games that seem like they were brought in by Enix, or I just wasn't familiar with the series they were in. The games that I'm asking about are:

Grandia III

Radiata Stories

Front Mission 4

Dawn of Mana

danmccarthy2

Skip over Grandia 3 and just play Grandia 2

There is a plot twist in Star Ocean that will make you realise you just wasted 40 hours playing the game

There has not been a good Mana game since the PSone. Don't bother with Dawn

The other 2 are decent.

lo_Reaper_ol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lo_Reaper_ol
Member since 2007 • 4953 Posts
[QUOTE="danmccarthy2"]

Grandia III

Radiata Stories

Front Mission 4

Dawn of Mana

vornwrath

There is a plot twist in Star Ocean that will make you realise you just wasted 40 hours playing the game

The other 2 are decent.

Blunt, as always. :lol:

SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 SymonDezyn
Member since 2006 • 4927 Posts
I can only give an opinion on the first three but I would play any one of them over again. Depends on what you're looking for. I remember being really nostalgic over Radiata Stories, it has a nice feel to it, though the battle system is a bit simple.
vornwrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 vornwrath
[QUOTE="vornwrath"][QUOTE="danmccarthy2"]

Grandia III

Radiata Stories

Front Mission 4

Dawn of Mana

lo_Reaper_ol

The other 2 are decent.

I prefer to not dance around.
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SymonDezyn
[QUOTE="lo_Reaper_ol"][QUOTE="vornwrath"][QUOTE="danmccarthy2"]

Grandia III

Radiata Stories

Front Mission 4

Dawn of Mana

vornwrath

The other 2 are decent.

LOL, a good quality to have :)

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts
The Front Mission series has pretty much been underrated, but Front Mission 4 was awesome. It's a turn-base strategy game with mechs with some difficulty to it.
SymonDezyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SymonDezyn

The Front Mission series has pretty much been underrated, but Front Mission 4 was awesome. It's a turn-base strategy game with mechs with some difficulty to it.NeoGen85

LOL, visual reference above :)

vornwrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 vornwrath
[QUOTE="vornwrath"][QUOTE="lo_Reaper_ol"][QUOTE="vornwrath"][QUOTE="danmccarthy2"]

Grandia III

Radiata Stories

Front Mission 4

Dawn of Mana

SymonDezyn

The other 2 are decent.

LOL, a good quality to have :)

It tends to get on peoples nerves sometimes
danmccarthy2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 danmccarthy2
Member since 2006 • 91 Posts

Should I play any of the previous Star Ocean games? Thanks for all the input.

shewolf1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 shewolf1961
Member since 2003 • 3878 Posts

danmccarthy2

SO3 is a game unto itself and the first ones need not be played. I loved SO3 from start to finish.:D It's in my top 3 favorite rpgs.;)

vornwrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vornwrath

danmccarthy2
Yes. Both 1 and 2 are good games. Play them instead of 3
Dude_The_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dude_The_Man
Member since 2006 • 852 Posts
I have played all five and own the last three on your list. SO3, Grandia 3, FM 4 in order would be how I would rank them. Dawn of Mana and Radiata Stories wouldn't even rank as I didn't enjoy either. SO3 AND SO2 shouldn't be missed period. They are both pure gold. Grandia 3 wasn't as good as it should have been but was definately worth playing for the combat system if nothing else. FM 4 was another FM game what can I say? LoL. If you like Front Mission you'll like 4. Dawn of Mana was just a complete disappointment all around. It did nothing right at all IMHO. Radiata was just boring and when it wasn't boring it was broken. Thats my opinion for what its worth. If nothing else play the Star Oceans eventually as if you do not you will really miss out on some great games. :(
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

Grandia III

Radiata Stories

Front Mission 4

Dawn of Mana

danmccarthy2

Grandia III - improved battle system, but the story is quite disappointing... it grows on you very slowly and when you're about to start to get excited with it, you just suddenly go to the final dungeon. Grandia 1 is still the king of Grandia games, followed by Grandia II. Grandia III is like Grandia Xtreme, but with a little more story. The main feature of Grandia III are 2-disc game with full voice overs and lots of cut-scenes. Of course, Parallel Trippers is still the ugliest. :P

Radiata Stories - has a little simplistic battle system, but you'll love it. Recruit about 40 characters and do some fun quests. Cute graphics, too. ^__^

Star Ocean: Till The End of Time - fast-paced battle for a SO game... i think the game focuses a lot on the battles. Earn all battle trophies (BT) and go insane. lol The thing i liked with the game is whenever you go to another screen or room, it loads up quite fast as compared to most games of its genre. This is my least favorite SO... I mean, it is not one of my favorites. :P

Front Mission 4 - i love the series since the SNES days. lots of customization, but it is a little easy. it's good you can speed up the battles. Front Mission 3 is my favorite. Front Mission series is not for everyone, though. It's just not your usuall SRPG.

Dawn of Mana - it has quite a colorful world. you cannot mistake it to be a mana game, but i do not like the battle system and the camera... reminds me of kingdom hearts series. Seiken Densetsu 3 and Secret of Mana are still my faves in the series.

My ranking on the above games (1 being the highest):

1. Front Mission 4
2. Radiata Stories
3. Grandia 3
4. Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
5. Dawn of Mana

kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4