odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts

I find the characters in ff games as of lately to be not nearly as interesting as the past ff characters.  When I first saw Terra, Edgar, or Setzer in ff6 I wanted to know more about them right of the bat because I found them to be interesting.  In FF7 the same applies to cloud, sephiroth, vincent, red 13, and cid.  In ff8 I took a great interest in squall, zell, seifer, and that girl that is the main bad guy in ff8.  With ff9 I took no interest at all in the characters and had no desire to learn about their story or anything about them.  With ffx Tidus was kind of interesting but even then I didn't find him nearly as interesting as characters from the past ff games.  With FFXII I'm kind of coming across the same thing with the characters they stike me as dull and boring people.  The guy with the white hair and knight armor in FFXII seems interesting but I think he is the bad guy.  I don't really think the main character in FFXII will be that interesting.  Based on what I've come across in the past is right away when I saw a cloud, squall, terra or a character of that sort, I was interested in learning about them and their story but as of lately I don't feel nearly as interested in ff characters.

softcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 softcloud
Member since 2003 • 275 Posts
I can't boast about knowing enough of FFXII to give an honest opinion, but I'll somewhat agree for FFX and FFIX ... In FFX I was intregued by Jeckt (spelling?) and Auron ... but the other characters just gave me all the details up front, leaving no mystery or desire to know more. That made them come off as sorta bland. Mind you, the gameplay, graphics and story was fun, but the characters left alot to be desired. Also, Tidus had me intregued at some points too. You are right though, FFVI, FFVII and FFVIII had great characters. The type where each has there own little story going on. FFVII had sidequests that involved each character, Namely Yuffy, Vincent, Barret, Red 13 (Nanaki), Aeris .... come to think of it, they EACH really did have their own stories and sidequests. God that game was awesome!! lol (Sorry, temporary burst of nostalgia! lol) Tifa = you learn more about her at the bar in midgar and then again in her home town Barret = Leader of Avalanche and again in his run down hometown Red 13 = In his home town and from his grandpa Yuffy = In her hometown and martial arts master Vincent = From that girl whose name starts with L, think he is somewhat connected to Sephiroth but I can't remember Cloud = DUH! The whole story Aeris = The whole first half at least Cid = AGAIN in his home town Caitsith (man it's been a while lol) = From the tower in midgar, from the goldsaucer Wow, why don't they build such in depth storylines nowadays? FFX had hometowns for each character too, but it really didn't pull you in. How can they improve on this feature? Am I stupid for hoping they could? Am I naive thinking that they sacrificed deep compelling storylines for graphics and fast paced action? When can we have the best of both worlds? (On a side note, maybe bringing the best of both worlds would finaly unite the "devided final fantasy fans".) Ah ... one can only hope.
Master_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Master_Odin
Member since 2005 • 4932 Posts
Of course, in FFX, the characters might be revealed in the beginning (story wise), but that doesn't make up an entire character. Another important quality a character must have is the fact that you can't guess what they're going to do or they've got some solid lines. Of course, if they're lacking any 2 of the 3, then yes, they are in fact, quite boring to me.
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts
The most interesting FF characters in my experience were Kain(FFIV), Every character in FFVI, and Vivi(FFIX). That's it.
ShinAkuma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ShinAkuma777
Member since 2006 • 3602 Posts

i will agree that the characters are getting less interesting but i think they will be interesting in XII because of all the new things and how long it took to make the game even though the main guy kinda reminds me of zidane o and vivi rules

personally i want to know more about the girl who has the bunny suite type armor on in XII fran

yuffiestrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 yuffiestrife
Member since 2006 • 352 Posts
i been loseing interest in ff charters since number 8
GMAN32X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 GMAN32X
Member since 2004 • 1815 Posts
I have to agree with you guys on this one. I think character development has become a lost artform since FFVIII, with the move toward environments and unique battle systems taking center stage over everything else.
LightThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 LightThief
Member since 2006 • 367 Posts
I only liked a couple of the charcaters in VIII, I liked IX a lot... And I hated everyone in X. I only really like Tidus and not b/c of his character but because of his moveset. I am losing hope. We'll see about XII but XIII looks really cool.