the_unbroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 the_unbroken
Member since 2006 • 1886 Posts

This is something Ive have wanted to know for a while. Do you feel FF is and will be the top RPG in the next few years. And do you think they are the top now. Please note that I am talking about the recent games since SE was formed.

As far as fan base goes, I still feel that FF is still at the top, but the new versions will in no way be up to the caliber of earlier FF's, And there are also many other RPG's that have grown into massive games, For instance, The Suikoden series, Or even Dragon Quest (I know that both FF and DQ are from the same company, but this is about the games engeneral, not the company) And with these, and many more that I didn't mention, I cant really tell if FF will be at the top in a year or two, only time will tell I suppose.

SladeMcGowan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 SladeMcGowan
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts

Well, Final Fantsy is the third best selling franchise of all time, and I doubt that will change much in the next few years.  I've played the series ever since it began and have been and will always be a huge fan of the series no matter what direction the series takes.  So, to answer your question, yes Final Fantasy is still on top, or at least it is to me.

Cheers!

Jessica

Solace427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Solace427
Member since 2005 • 1845 Posts
on top in terms of best RPG? if so maybe...hard call id say but i wouldnt be surprised if it still is
kinetic-core

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 kinetic-core
Member since 2006 • 9423 Posts

Maybe the ranks will change every now and then, but SE has been fairly consistent in terms of quality delivery and assurance, much much unlike other games. It'll take something really drastic for FF to fall below anything else that's lower than them now. Maybe a really really good game from somewhere else, or a really really bad FF game from SE.

If not, FF can sit comfortably at the top for many years to come.

lordsettra12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 lordsettra12
Member since 2005 • 4213 Posts
Nah, the new FF games don't look so good to me...
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
At the moment I think they are still on top but hopefully they will get some real competition.  If they have competition I think it will put more pressure on them to make their games better.
Crusader_333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Crusader_333
Member since 2005 • 244 Posts
hmm..........yeah the great thing about Final Fantasy was that you knew they spent a hell of a lot of time to create.......But with the competition riding up and the more the demand for games they are cramping more and more in less and less time.........its losing its star quality it once had
HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts
i still think its on top because so many other games in the genre have gottan something from FF but only FF makes it right and to me the best
jordina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#10 jordina
Member since 2006 • 5410 Posts

can you tell me what the first and second best franchises are?

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
yes to me it is cause other rpgs look exactly the same and bring me a headache !
Master_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Odin
Member since 2005 • 4932 Posts
I believe that SE is still at the top of the RPG genre at this time. However, tons of smaller companies are now challenging that dominance. Such companies such as Atlas are producing quality games that are becoming as popular as Final Fantasy. Finally, if you remember, many of the extremely popular designers of SE games of the past, are now working for different companies and on different games (*cough* Lost Oblivion) This will help put companies into competition with SE as the designers of games such as Chrono Trigger, FFVI, FFVII are making games for different companies and I think we can look at them thinking that they will deliever a great game. Finally, you can't actually look at a Company and say that since FFX was good, so will say FFXIII. You've got to look at the designers of the games and look at their past creations to determine whether or not, Final Fantasy and Square-Enix are still on top.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
I think at the moment atlus and level 5 are two other big competitors.
inuyasha12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inuyasha12
Member since 2003 • 28053 Posts
I thank it will.
Dark_Kain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Dark_Kain
Member since 2004 • 1408 Posts
Financially and in terms of fanbase, Square Enix is on top and will be until they have an absolutely horrendus blunder. But if we are talking quality in terms of RPGs, I'd say that they are not on top. I would say Atlus has the highest quality RPGs at the moment and it looks like they will continue to for a little while.
manhunt1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 manhunt1001
Member since 2004 • 2431 Posts
In Europe the only RPG which even stands out too many people is Final Fantasy most are not even released here(we never even got Chrono Cross) and so it will most likely reign dominant for as long as the franchise stays on. The only thing i can think of beating it is Kingdom Hearts if that continues for years to come but it basically lost most of it's RPG roots in the second one.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

In Europe the only RPG which even stands out too many people is Final Fantasy most are not even released here(we never even got Chrono Cross) and so it will most likely reign dominant for as long as the franchise stays on. The only thing i can think of beating it is Kingdom Hearts if that continues for years to come but it basically lost most of it's RPG roots in the second one. manhunt1001

here too i think that help the franchise to sell alot , we never got dragon quest , grandia , chrono games nor shadow hearts .. ,many other good rpg titles aren't sold here .

final fantasy has the best quality of not only graphics , the game offers a better gameplay system if you don't mind turnbased , story and music , and most memorable characters ever

gamerrgurrl9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamerrgurrl9
Member since 2005 • 1982 Posts

It is the best now but I don't think it might stay that way.SE keeps changing it and I don't it will have a good effect in the long run.

SkyCastleDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SkyCastleDan
Member since 2006 • 2015 Posts

If Final Fantasy is to continue to reign on top of the RPG world, Square needs to recognize that originality is what got the series to where it is today. Creativity and heart are what made Final Fantasy VII the breakout game that it was for the series, while now a days, Square seems to rely only on style and cliches. While Final Fantasy XII seems to recognize the faults that have emerged, going back to a very FFIX look, Final Fantasy XIII is not looking very hopeful right now, and personally, looks kind of like a Star Ocean wannabe if you ask me....

Now Sony tried back in 2000 to breakdown the FF empire with Legend of Dragoon, an okay game that never got the job done because FF was still, at that time, pumping out original, heart-filled games. Now, with many of its fans (just look at this board for reference) starting to become frustrated with Square's latest efforts, Sony may have the opportunity to take FF down with a very well welcomed game in Japan by the title of Rogue Galaxy. This game is also coming out in October in North America and if FFXII does not suffice Square fan's demands, look out!

My prediction: Final Fantasy XII is a killer game but sells less than FFX in North America due to Square's other efforts (FFX-2, FFXI) being lesser games than their previously released FF titles. Rogue Galaxy sells well, offering an alternative to RPG gamers, but Square uses this to recognize that they need to start getting their act together and turns FFXIV into another breakout game for the series.

manhunt1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 manhunt1001
Member since 2004 • 2431 Posts
I guess another series I missed out was the Elder Scrolls series. Morrowind was a game which never really got my attention but sold loads, even to the extent where it got a "Game of the Year Edition", and really made way for Oblivion which has taken the gaming world by storm this year. People who had never even played an RPG where delighted by this game and it really stands out as the breakout hit for the Xbox 360. Only time will tell if the Elder Scrolls series evolves into something huge and as epic as there games.