RPG_Ash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RPG_Ash
Member since 2005 • 294 Posts
I just bought FFX today and have a question about the Sphere Grid. I've played VII (of course - haha) and VIII, along with FFXI so although not new to the FF games, i'm new to this Sphere system in FFX. Might be an obvious answer but do i choose Standard or Expert as i've never played FFX before. Thanks.
Soulja_West

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Soulja_West
Member since 2003 • 15084 Posts
If you can beat FFVII you can beat FFX
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Disgaeamad
Member since 2005 • 19315 Posts
since you're new to FF you should go with the basic
tidus_swain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 tidus_swain
Member since 2003 • 10019 Posts
use expert its easier to use and helps you level easier and faster
RPG_Ash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RPG_Ash
If you can beat FFVII you can beat FFXSoulja_West
I forgot to say i had completed FFVII but only got 3/4 into FFVIII.
Avatar image for awesome_italian
awesome_italian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 awesome_italian
Member since 2005 • 1572 Posts
Standart? expert? somebody, explain please.
RPG_Ash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RPG_Ash

Instead of gaining experience levels as you win battles, you gain points that you then use on what's called the sphere grid. The sphere grid is like a large board-game map, though it looks more like a maze. At almost every step of the grid, you'll find points that raise attributes such as strength, hit points, magic power, agility, and more and other points that teach new spells and new special abilities.

GameSpot
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy10/review.html?page=2 That should explain it better than i can. Edit: "Expert" is an advanced Sphere Grid. More complex i guess.
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

The Standard sphere grid is meant to guide you by the hand through the board leading you in a logical manner along the path that would seem the wiset for that character. This means more paths are blocked to you and an obvious path is apparent.

The Expert sphere grid on the other hand gives you complete freedom over how you decide to level up your characters. (As I am sure you are aware the characters level up by gaining the ability to move a certain number of spheres on the grid and unlocking the abilities they pass with items mobs drop or you obtain). In this way you can choose which way you want to go and what abilities you would rather learn.

Personally I started with the standard sphere grid when I first rented the game. Upon reaching the thunder planes I decided I was in love with the series again and purchased the game and started again with the Expert sphere grid which was much more to my liking. I would like to point out though that no matter which grid you choose you will eventually be able to unlock all skills and cover the entire board with all your characters (like I did). For any help Ash I'd be glad to tell you what I know as I poured more hours into this game than any other Final Fantasy except XI.

staticjupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 staticjupiter
Member since 2005 • 2712 Posts

The Standard sphere grid is meant to guide you by the hand through the board leading you in a logical manner along the path that would seem the wiset for that character. This means more paths are blocked to you and an obvious path is apparent.

The Expert sphere grid on the other hand gives you complete freedom over how you decide to level up your characters. (As I am sure you are aware the characters level up by gaining the ability to move a certain number of spheres on the grid and unlocking the abilities they pass with items mobs drop or you obtain). In this way you can choose which way you want to go and what abilities you would rather learn.

Personally I started with the standard sphere grid when I first rented the game. Upon reaching the thunder planes I decided I was in love with the series again and purchased the game and started again with the Expert sphere grid which was much more to my liking. I would like to point out though that no matter which grid you choose you will eventually be able to unlock all skills and cover the entire board with all your characters (like I did). For any help Ash I'd be glad to tell you what I know as I poured more hours into this game than any other Final Fantasy except XI.

Arath_1

Yeh that pretty much sums up everything, good explanation.

LPfanatic102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 LPfanatic102
Member since 2005 • 477 Posts

Arath_1

Now THAT'S an explanation.

RPG_Ash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RPG_Ash
Thanks Arath. I'll be sure to ask you first if i get stuck. I just got Yuna and i've killed my first mob with a summon! YaY!
Avatar image for BreakDamageLimit
BreakDamageLimit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BreakDamageLimit
Member since 2003 • 6783 Posts
I have played through FFX a couple of times and filled the sphere grid completly (and used HP spheres earned from Iron Clad in the Monster Arena to fill in the empty spaces) but didn't know you could choose between a Standard and Expert Sphere Grid...was this added in later?  I've always been on the one that lets you choose where you're going from the start.
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Arath_1

I have played through FFX a couple of times and filled the sphere grid completly (and used HP spheres earned from Iron Clad in the Monster Arena to fill in the empty spaces) but didn't know you could choose between a Standard and Expert Sphere Grid...was this added in later?  I've always been on the one that lets you choose where you're going from the start.BreakDamageLimit

Whether this was added into Final Fantasy X: International (PAL) only I cannot say because I have never played the NTSC versions. In the PAL versions at least (which also include the Dark Aeons as optional bosses, which I know for a fact are not present in the NTSC version) the Standard and Advanced sphere grid are available for choice just after you choose new game. The sphere grid ALWAYS lets you choose where you want to go, the difference is in how much freedom and like I said eventually this isnt a problem, its basically for players who dont completely understand the mechanics and might not know which way is "best" for each character.

I hope you enjoy the game Ash it is excellent.  

awesome_italian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 awesome_italian
How do you find the dark aeons i keep hearing about? I can't seem to find any...
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Arath_1

How do you find the dark aeons i keep hearing about? I can't seem to find any... awesome_italian

You have to be near the end of the game (that is):

~Spoilers~

You have to have gone through Zanarkand and have the possibility of going anywhere with your airship, this should include the Omega ruins and the initials ruins you begin the game at (after your sucked in by sin). The Dark Aeons tend to reside in places where their regular forms where available. For example the first and easiest of the Dark Aeons is Dark Valefor who you can fight by going back to Besadi Island and going back to town. Dark Yojimbo can be found at the end of the cave right after the Calm Lands but before Mount Gagazet (just take a left to a new area and then head left again when Tidus is facing the screen there will be a cave entrance). You have to have the corresponding Aeon in order to fight its Dark Alternative. Once you have defeated every Dark Aeon you can fight Penance which is the hardest Dark Aeon and I never did defeat if, if memory serves he has over 13 million HP and 3 seperate body parts (each arm has a rough 1 to 2 million HP) which regenerate over time...

~Spoiler end~

awesome_italian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 awesome_italian

[QUOTE="awesome_italian"] How do you find the dark aeons i keep hearing about? I can't seem to find any... Arath_1

You have to be near the end of the game (that is):

~Spoilers~

You have to have gone through Zanarkand and have the possibility of going anywhere with your airship, this should include the Omega ruins and the initials ruins you begin the game at (after your sucked in by sin). The Dark Aeons tend to reside in places where their regular forms where available. For example the first and easiest of the Dark Aeons is Dark Valefor who you can fight by going back to Besadi Island and going back to town. Dark Yojimbo can be found at the end of the cave right after the Calm Lands but before Mount Gagazet (just take a left to a new area and then head left again when Tidus is facing the screen there will be a cave entrance). You have to have the corresponding Aeon in order to fight its Dark Alternative. Once you have defeated every Dark Aeon you can fight Penance which is the hardest Dark Aeon and I never did defeat if, if memory serves he has over 13 million HP and 3 seperate body parts (each arm has a rough 1 to 2 million HP) which regenerate over time...

~Spoiler end~

I've beaten the game several times, but never saw any of these aeons. Is there anything you have to do to start this sidequest? or is it just get the airship and go? I have the airship and most of the celestial weapons, but I still couldn't find them.
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arath_1

I've beaten the game several times, but never saw any of these aeons. Is there anything you have to do to start this sidequest? or is it just get the airship and go? I have the airship and most of the celestial weapons, but I still couldn't find them.awesome_italian

~Spoilers~

You have to FIND these Aeons each of them requires a different approach and can be found in different locations. The first is Valefor. All you have to do is return to Besaid Island go head towards the entrance to the village a summoner should stop you and he will summon Dark Valefor. You must have all Aeons as far as I know (this includes Anima and the Three Sisters) in order to activate them. Each Dark Aeon will appear under different conditions (some are triggered by NPCs others wait in specific locations like Dark Yojibo). I believe it could be a question of order, its hard for me to recall, so I tell you to start with Dark Valefor and then go and find Dark Ifrit (they get progressively tougher and mainly follow the order in which you obtained your innitial Aeons).

As a reminder you should have HP break and damage break. I stumbled across Dark Bahamut while searching Zanarkand and it took me a solid 6 hours of survival to kill him, using Auron to do a meager 20 thousand damage.

~Spoiler end~

staticjupiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 staticjupiter
Member since 2005 • 2712 Posts
Thos things are realli strong, i mean they have millions of health. The only way you can beat them is if you use Yojimbo and give him like 250,000 to do that attack which kills anything instantly.
awesome_italian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 awesome_italian

[QUOTE="awesome_italian"]I've beaten the game several times, but never saw any of these aeons. Is there anything you have to do to start this sidequest? or is it just get the airship and go? I have the airship and most of the celestial weapons, but I still couldn't find them.Arath_1

~Spoilers~

You have to FIND these Aeons each of them requires a different approach and can be found in different locations. The first is Valefor. All you have to do is return to Besaid Island go head towards the entrance to the village a summoner should stop you and he will summon Dark Valefor. You must have all Aeons as far as I know (this includes Anima and the Three Sisters) in order to activate them. Each Dark Aeon will appear under different conditions (some are triggered by NPCs others wait in specific locations like Dark Yojibo). I believe it could be a question of order, its hard for me to recall, so I tell you to start with Dark Valefor and then go and find Dark Ifrit (they get progressively tougher and mainly follow the order in which you obtained your innitial Aeons).

As a reminder you should have HP break and damage break. I stumbled across Dark Bahamut while searching Zanarkand and it took me a solid 6 hours of survival to kill him, using Auron to do a meager 20 thousand damage.

~Spoiler end~

Thanks. It's time to go kick some dark aeon butt! :P
mohmaaytah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 mohmaaytah
Member since 2003 • 2397 Posts

Actually there is a difference between Standard and Expert.

Standard has 859 nodes
Expert has 805 nodes.

It doesnt really mean much unless you want to stat-max everyone.

awesome_italian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 awesome_italian

Actually there is a difference between Standard and Expert.

Standard has 859 nodes
Expert has 805 nodes.

It doesnt really mean much unless you want to stat-max everyone.

mohmaaytah
I only know of one sphere grid... something's wrong here. Is there 2 versions or somethin? I never got to chose between standart or expert...
manhunt1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 manhunt1001
Member since 2004 • 2431 Posts
Every release of the game u can choose between standard and expert.
awesome_italian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 awesome_italian
[QUOTE="manhunt1001"]Every release of the game u can choose between standard and expert.

Where? Grr... I never saw it! It always just explained to me how to use it, then I was on my own. When in the game can you choose?
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Disgaeamad
Member since 2005 • 19315 Posts
at the start of the game