MonkeyStew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 MonkeyStew
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts

In all the Square games, which is you're favorite magic/ability system, which is your least favorite, and why?

It's a tough choice but I love the Element system in Chrono Cross. It's a lot like the Materia in FF VII, but all of the characters' innate color restricts them to a certain kind of element/magic. So it's not as open as say the Materia or License Board, but it still leaves you plenty of room to customize with the innate colors, the element levels, and amount of elements allowed to equip in each level.

My least favorite magic system goes to the Junctions, in FF VIII- (please don't call me a hater, I love this game :D). The reason is because 'junctioning' magic alter your stats- the concept for me is innovative and definately different, it just didn't work for me.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts
The job system from Final Fantasy V. I always thought that kicked butt.
Greg258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#3 Greg258
Member since 2008 • 1091 Posts

CHRONO CROSS!!! That's mine..

And I really like Final Fantasy X-2 system with the dress spheres, I thought that was cool.

Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

I love the Materia System (FFVII).

I love the Job System (FFV and FFT)

DrAwesomeMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 DrAwesomeMD
Member since 2007 • 17547 Posts
My favorites would be FFV, Tactics, and IX's.
pikastar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 pikastar
Member since 2006 • 3405 Posts

My favorite is Materia in FFVII.

Least favorite...hmmm...Junctions in FFVIII are a bit annoying at the moment, but I havent played much so far so Ill reserve judgement on it until later.

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#7 lightwarrior179
Member since 2006 • 3422 Posts

My favorite magic system was FFVI's Esper system. Not only was it the simplest magic system with literally zero learning curve but it also provided a lot of customising options.

I also consider FFVIII's Junction/Draw System to be one of my favorites. I found the ability to change the stats as a blessing in disguise as it removed the level-grinding (an old curse that JRPG's mostly had) and also enabled weaker members in the party to efficiently battle tougher enemies when junctioned with powerful magic.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#8 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
My favorite magic system would have to be Chrono Cross. My least favorite, even though I love the game, would be FFVIII.
MonkeyStew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 MonkeyStew
Member since 2007 • 525 Posts

I also consider FFVIII's Junction/Draw System to be one of my favorites. I found the ability to change the stats as a blessing in disguise as it removed the level-grinding (an old curse that JRPG's mostly had) and also enabled weaker members in the party to efficiently battle tougher enemies when junctioned with powerful magic.

lightwarrior179

Too true. The problem is finding all of that great magic across the globe.

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#10 lightwarrior179
Member since 2006 • 3422 Posts
[QUOTE="lightwarrior179"]

MonkeyStew

Too true. The problem is finding all of that great magic across the globe.

That's pretty true but then later on in the game you find most of the strong and important spells in the Islands closest to Heaven and Hell. 

rayza212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rayza212
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
I like the esper system from ff6. Although it allows every char in the game (minus Go-Go and Umaro) to learn every spell it also allows skill customization depending which esper is equipped when that char lvls. I also like the job system in ffTactics for a similer reason. I just like the power to build up my chars anyway I want to which also goes into the junction system of ff8 by having the strongest magic equipped to the stat you want highest... I think I just named 3 faves:)
rayza212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rayza212
Member since 2007 • 71 Posts
I forgot least favorite. Hmm.... This is a toughie. I think i would have to go with the ones from the ff legend series for GB where you have robot chars and monster chars and such. It was really confusing to me so I just kept everyone as humans.
Inditra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Inditra
Member since 2006 • 1653 Posts

I loved the Sphere Grid system from X. It was so simplistic and customizable.

I also liked the weapon system in IX.

Andr0medas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Andr0medas
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
My favorite is the job system from FFV and FFT. The ones I don't like that much are FFX's sphere grid and FFXII's license board.
Fantasy_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Fantasy_Gamer
Member since 2004 • 14159 Posts

My favorite is the job system from FFV and FFT. The ones I don't like that much are FFX's sphere grid and FFXII's license board.Andr0medas

Yeah. Those are great systems. :D

nim22ama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nim22ama
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

My favorite magic system was FFVI's Esper system.

Final Fantasy IX and X also had good systems. Final Fantasy V and Tactics also has good systems.

Other than the FF series, I liked the system in The Last Remnant even if it could be somewhat unpredictable.

ethersol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ethersol
Member since 2010 • 104 Posts

i think my favourites would have to be final fantasy ix, x and vii

the worst feeling system to me is definitely final fantasy viii D:

Avatar image for The_Judgemaster
The_Judgemaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Judgemaster
Member since 2006 • 142 Posts

Getting license before you can use something (equipment, spell, skill) is awesome in FFXII, but it would have been better if they included the penalty system in FFTA where if you use something that is not licensed to you, you will be penalized under law.

Otherwise, I think Materia System gives the most options for customization, as well as the Job System.

Mr__Fantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mr__Fantasy
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

hmm

im not sure if I have a favourite

but the one ifound easiest to use was the job system in tactics

the hardest one is probably ffx

ihad trouble finding lv key spheres 

magusat999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#20 magusat999
Member since 2005 • 881 Posts

The Materia system in FFVII was the most kick-arse to me. Mimic and KOTR for everyone!

My least favorite - whatever the heck they were doing in FFX, with one character (Puna) owning all of the Summons Creatures - gack!

I didn't care too much for the little mini-summons in FFXII and XIII, either.

I liked the gigantic cinematic summons in FFVIII and FFVII - but that boost thing was a drag, and the sluggishness of FFVIII's summons were irritating. I do like my summons BIG, though.Â