Worst call you've ever seen a ref make

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jimmygrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jimmygrace
Member since 2007 • 2405 Posts

With all the talk about that NBA ref fixing games I've started to think about phantom calls I've seen.One that really comes to mind was 2005 Panthers-Cowboys when we had the game won after Billy Cundiff the Cowboys kicker missed the kick but the ref called roughing the kicker on Peppers and replays showed he wasn't even touched not even the smallest bit of contact, nothing at all.

Whats the worst call you've ever seen a ref/umpire make?

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts

With all the talk about that NBA ref fixing games I've started to think about phantom calls I've seen.One that really comes to mind was 2005 Panthers-Cowboys when we had the game won after Billy Cundiff the Cowboys kicker missed the kick but the ref called roughing the kicker on Peppers and replays showed he wasn't even touched not even the smallest bit of contact, nothing at all.

jimmygrace
One that comes to mind is pass interference on Ellis Hobbs in the AFC Champ game last year.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#3 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Probably in 1998 WC qualifying, Germany vs Portugal. Highly anticipated matchup for both countries, both needed to win to move on. Early in the game, Portugal makes a substitution and takes out star Rui Costa, who is red-carded for taking too longto get off the field; ultimately costing Portugal the match.
jayo17ie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jayo17ie
Member since 2007 • 244 Posts

Probably when Roy Carroll dropped the ball about 4feet behind the line and scooped it out from Mendes' shot from the halfway , that was the most ridiculous non decision Ive ever seen.The whole stadium just stopped and the ref waved play on , however being a united fan I must say it wasnt over the lin :D

Avatar image for deactivated-614fa247a87ab
deactivated-614fa247a87ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 deactivated-614fa247a87ab
Member since 2003 • 1858 Posts
tim duncan getting ejected for laughing. what a joke.
sixringz1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sixringz1
Member since 2004 • 1116 Posts
the pass interference call against miami in the miami vs ohio state championship game. That call was made 30 seconds after the whistle blew
Avatar image for Knight_of_Malta
Knight_of_Malta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Knight_of_Malta
Member since 2005 • 4781 Posts
The Chile-Argentina match recently in the U20 WC is a good mention, and that mess Portugal-Holland in the 2006 WC.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

remember White Sox vs. Angels in the playoffs a couple years ago? The catcher Paul on the Angels caught the ball andthrew it to the mound because he thought the inning was over.The ball didn't hit the ground, the ump said it did, so Piersynzki made it to first, and ended up scoring the winning run w/ 2 outs.

HORRIBLE.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

Steelers vs. Colts in the 2005 NFL playoff

Polomalu intercepts the ball thrown by Peyton Manning, and while he rolls to the ground, he accidentely fumbles the ball. The play is reviewed, and they give the ball back to the colts, Polomalu Clearly intercepted the ball, the Ref was either blind? or wanted the Colts to win, The Colts were a missed Field Goal away from tying the game.

zarfbloot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zarfbloot
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts
Watch any Duke basketball game... that about sums it up.
jimmygrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jimmygrace

Watch any Duke basketball game... that about sums it up.
zarfbloot

Oh believe me I've been a die-hard Tar Heel fan for around 11 years, I know all about the refs kissing up to Coach K.

fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts

Probably when Roy Carroll dropped the ball about 4feet behind the line and scooped it out from Mendes' shot from the halfway , that was the most ridiculous non decision Ive ever seen.The whole stadium just stopped and the ref waved play on , however being a united fan I must say it wasnt over the lin :D

jayo17ie

Yea that was a terrible decision the ref would of had to of been looking the other way not to see it was over the line and even then the linesman should of seen it but surprise surprise it goes in Man Utd's favour at Old Trafford.

KabalCage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KabalCage
Member since 2003 • 755 Posts
There were loads of awful calls in the Miami vs Dallas NBA finals. The worst was probably when DWade punches Dirk and then the ref called the foul on Dirk. It was total ridiculous and insane. Hopefully after this the NBA will stop giving the "Wade Treatment" and "Superstar Treatment"; it just isn't fair to anyone else.
HurricaneHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HurricaneHugo
Member since 2002 • 40807 Posts

Game 1 of the 1998 World Series between the Padres and the Yankees.

The game was tied 5-5 in the 7th inning with the bases loaded, the count was 2-2, Mark Langston delivers a clear strike, but the umpire says ball. Next pitch Tino Martinez hits a grand slam homerun. And the rest is history...

Refs kiss up to the Yankees..

romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
hands down, it has to be the 5th down. not that i'm complaining...
jimmygrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jimmygrace

hands down, it has to be the 5th down. not that i'm complaining...romocop33

LMAO I completely forgot about that.That was so hilarious.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-614fa247a87ab

[QUOTE="romocop33"]hands down, it has to be the 5th down. not that i'm complaining...jimmygrace

enlighten me. what exactly was the 5th down? i vaguely remember something about a team getting an extra down and the refs not noticing. is that what it was?

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
[QUOTE="jimmygrace"]

[QUOTE="romocop33"]hands down, it has to be the 5th down. not that i'm complaining...jt222_us

enlighten me. what exactly was the 5th down? i vaguely remember something about a team getting an extra down and the refs not noticing. is that what it was?

type "5th down" into google and click on the first result.
TD7007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 TD7007
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts
that testaverde touchdown where his helmet wasnt even in the endzone and the ref said it was a touchdown...i think thats the one that brough the replay system back
umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
Pass interference against Darrel Jackson when his TD should of been good in the Seattle-Pittsburgh superbowl game.
numismatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 numismatic
Member since 2005 • 775 Posts
we need to get robots to start officiating games
Avatar image for Powerhitter0418
Powerhitter0418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Powerhitter0418
Member since 2006 • 1950 Posts

Pass interference against Darrel Jackson when his TD should of been good in the Seattle-Pittsburgh superbowl game.umcommon

Yeah, the Refs were petty biased in that game. They just got wrapped up in the whole Jermaine Bettis story.

zarfbloot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 zarfbloot
Member since 2004 • 4557 Posts

[QUOTE="umcommon"]Pass interference against Darrel Jackson when his TD should of been good in the Seattle-Pittsburgh superbowl game.Powerhitter0418

Yeah, the Refs were petty biased in that game. They just got wrapped up in the whole Jermaine Bettis story.

Actually he did push off and heres 4 pictures that can prove it (they're actually pretty big so Ill just post the link) http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/718/1551/1600/super_bowl_pushoff1.jpg it was a very light pushoff that could've gone either way, maybe if he didn't do it right in front of an offical...

To be honest the only bad call in that game was the Hasselbeck tackle the others were just close calls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-614fa247a87ab
who else thinks they need instant replay in the mlb and nba? some of the officiating lately has been horrible. i have to admit though, what that baseball coach did for that minor league team a couple of months ago was funny. he was crawling on the mound and throwing the bases. i forgot what team it was.
Steelers_86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Steelers_86
Member since 2003 • 2268 Posts
Florida at Auburn 2006.... leak's arm was moving forward.... with the ball....for god's sake... it wasnt a fumble...and thats all i can say without exploding into a firey rage
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts

Every Giants game.

Jareally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Jareally
Member since 2007 • 339 Posts

2005 nfl season divisional afc playoffs,

pats vs broncos, pass interference on asante samuel when ashley lelie had alot more contact.

nolzwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nolzwin
Member since 2005 • 362 Posts
i dont remember who the other team was but it was a divisional playoff game (i think) in o.t. on the coin toss jerome bettis of the pittsburg steelers called heads during the toss and somehow the ref says ..."he calls tails !" how the heck do you screw that up ?
geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts

Florida at Auburn 2006.... leak's arm was moving forward.... with the ball....for god's sake... it wasnt a fumble...and thats all i can say without exploding into a firey rageSteelers_86

It looked good from my seat in the stadium :P. But I think you guys managed to recover and finish the season nicely.

Airsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Airsoul
Member since 2005 • 3155 Posts
tim duncan getting ejected for laughing. what a joke.jt222_us
Lol, he laughed twice while he was on the bench, Vsing the Mavs! Lol, Duncan was laughing while getting out of the court. Lol.
Airsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Airsoul
Member since 2005 • 3155 Posts
we need to get robots to start officiating games numismatic
What would happen if the ball hit the robot hard? Hahha, I see that, everytime replacing robots during games. At the end it will cost more than paying the refs.
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts
[QUOTE="jimmygrace"]

bunchofpixels

One that comes to mind is pass interference on Ellis Hobbs in the AFC Champ game last year.

that was a good call if its the one im thinking of...he jumped up not even looking for the ball...he just wanted to obstruct reggie wayne's vision

worst call ive seen? mavs vs heat...dwayne wade took a jump shot, and then fell down after he landed wrong. Nobody was even within 5 feet of him, and they called a foul, giving him a free 2 points. Also the one where Wade punched Dirk in the face and Dirk got a blocking foul.

BadAndy642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 BadAndy642
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

i dont remember who the other team was but it was a divisional playoff game (i think) in o.t. on the coin toss jerome bettis of the pittsburg steelers called heads during the toss and somehow the ref says ..."he calls tails !" how the heck do you screw that up ?nolzwin

It was a regular season game between the Steelers and the Lions. Pittsburgh was 7-5 at the time and was in the hunt for a wild card spot that year. And the game started a downward spiral for them and they finished theseason at 7-9. I watched that game live on tv.

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DXGreat1_HGL
Member since 2003 • 7543 Posts

i dont remember who the other team was but it was a divisional playoff game (i think) in o.t. on the coin toss jerome bettis of the pittsburg steelers called heads during the toss and somehow the ref says ..."he calls tails !" how the heck do you screw that up ?nolzwin

It wasn't a playoff game, it was a Thanksgiving game vs Detroit

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DXGreat1_HGL
The Steelers - Colts divisional game on the play before where the Steeler safety clearly interfered with the Colt receiver and nothing was called. All in all the officiating was pretty much Steeler biased during the whole playoffs.
pacomontoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 pacomontoya
Member since 2005 • 123 Posts
Oklahoma vs Oregon game last year. Two really bad calls. And of course, the coin toss where Bettis called it in the air and they said he said it different. Sad.
BobC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BobC
Member since 2003 • 6259 Posts
NOT calling Michael Jordan for pushing off on Bryon Russell in that Finals game against the Jazz. The was the most obvious, blatant offensive foul in the history of the game, and because it's Jordan, the refs swallowed their whistles. Gross.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

Oklahoma vs Oregon game last year. Two really bad calls. And of course, the coin toss where Bettis called it in the air and they said he said it different. Sad.pacomontoya

yeah, those were prettybad.

dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dcowboys3315
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts
when the ref took away jason wittens first down in the playoffs against the seahawks. refs are only supposed to reverse that call if there is a shot going down the first down line and there wasnt.
Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#40 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts
I've seen my good share of bad calls in my basketball league, the worst is when the make up a call and then T you up for complaining about it. :roll:
hockeyruler12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 hockeyruler12
Member since 2005 • 8114 Posts

I've seen my good share of bad calls in my basketball league, the worst is when the make up a call and then T you up for complaining about it. :roll:Ghost_Warrior

i bet you ive had worse in my hockey league. USA hockey really screwed up when they added all the no-tolerance hooking and interference. The refs call everything.

But what really pissed me off is a couple games ago...when the play had stopped we were making a line change. So we were in the middle of changing our players. The other team was as well. The ref literally skated as fast as he could to the faceoff dot, dropped the puck, and called both teams for a bench minor (too many men).

GKinnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GKinnel
Member since 2004 • 667 Posts

The rule that the NFL made up on the spot against Al Davis in the AFC Divisional playoffs.. 2001 I believe..

THE MU@)#*$U@#)@*#$@)#*$IN' TUCK RULE!!!

!#*)&$%@)*#$&%@)#($*%@#$%*@&#$%@*()#$)%(@*#$)(%*@#$)(%@*#$%)@(#$*%@)#$(*%*&!!!!!!!!

I hate the Patriots more then I hate the Broncos for that #$*#)($*%#)($*%#)($%*#$)(%*#$.........

Andres001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Andres001
Member since 2005 • 601 Posts

Anytime the lakers play.......nuff said

DXGreat1_HGL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DXGreat1_HGL
Has anyone mentioned Don Dinkingers call in the 85 World Series? Though it didn't cost the Cardinals the series, it was a bad call...
Lii-Nombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lii-Nombre
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts
[QUOTE="jayo17ie"]

fordies

Yea that was a terrible decision the ref would of had to of been looking the other way not to see it was over the line and even then the linesman should of seen it but surprise surprise it goes in Man Utd's favour at Old Trafford.

Yeah that was pretty terrible. Have you ever seen that video when the goalie puts the ball down ready to kick it when the ballboy walks on and kicks the ball in the net. It counted! I'm not implying any sexist comment here but it was a female referee.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Anything that involves Canada and the IIHF/European refs.

The tuck rule 'nuff said.

The Mo Pete "slap" on Wince.

NBA leaving the bench rule.