Who would you rather take....Champ Bailey Or Nate Clements?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts

If you were an NFL owner and you had the choice to either get Champ Bailey or Nate Clements (no one else, just out of the two) who would you pick after the season they had in 2006?

(Don't count the contract just the player you'd prefer because of there skill)

I'd take Champ Bailey over Clements any day. Champ Bailey has two more years experience than Clements and only one year older. Champ also is coming over his best season which includued a total of 10 interceptions. Bailey is as close to a shutdown corner as there is and makes interceptions in the clutch (in the red zone). Bailey has soild tackling skill and he seems to have entered his own level of play at cornerback being widely considered the best cornerback in the NFL.

Chuck_NORR1S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chuck_NORR1S
Member since 2006 • 62 Posts
i would deff. take champ bailey or nate clements. champ bailey is just overall better than clements.
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
lol.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nygiants1080

lol.romocop33

The reason I made this thread is because SrLynx was saying Nate Clements is better than Bailey. Here is the little conversation:

[QUOTE="nygiants1080"][QUOTE="SrLynx"] Oh really! Care to elaborate more on that? Nate Clements = complete (physical) CB where as Champ Bailey = Cover Corner. In the NFL teams prefer a physical CBs.SrLynx
Really? Because I guarntee that almost all NFL teams would rather have Bailey than Clements...

Sure they would! You keep telling your self that.

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25419628&page=2

romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 romocop33

[QUOTE="romocop33"]lol.nygiants1080

The reason I made this thread is because SrLynx was saying Nate Clements is better than Bailey. Here is the little conversation:

[QUOTE="nygiants1080"][QUOTE="SrLynx"] Oh really! Care to elaborate more on that? Nate Clements = complete (physical) CB where as Champ Bailey = Cover Corner. In the NFL teams prefer a physical CBs.SrLynx
Really? Because I guarntee that almost all NFL teams would rather have Bailey than Clements...

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25419628&page=2

that's the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. i'm sure the only reason people are saying that is because they figure since he's the highest paid cb (actually, the highest paid defensive player of all time), he must be the best. clements couldn't hold champ's jock strap.
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts
this thread's pointless...
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts

Champ is the best in the league and its not even close.  The better question is Boss Bailey or Nate Clements.

Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts

Champ is the best in the league and its not even close.  The better question is Boss Bailey or Nate Clements.

bunchofpixels

DeAngelo Hall, Ronde Barber, Chris McAllister are not close?

And the reason I say this thread is pointless is this topic has just been stirred up by Clements huge contract. Just because a player will be getting paid more, doesn't mean that player is better than the player that is making less.

PatsFanVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 PatsFanVince
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts
Comparing these two is like a insult to Champ Baily the guy just makes big plays and is a great corner.  Deangelo Hall? The same guy that gets burned week in week out he shouldn't even be in a top 10 discussion but just my opinion.
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
Bailey in a heartbeat. The only going for Clements is his age
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nygiants1080
Again, the only reason im comparing the two is because of some clown that thought Clements was better than Bailey. I know that Clements isn't even on of the top 5 DBs in the league
Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

Again, the only reason im comparing the two is because of some clown that thought Clements was better than Bailey. I know that Clements isn't even on of the top 5 DBs in the leaguenygiants1080

He's definetily a top 5 corner.......but Bailey is BY FAR the best in the league. Every team that plays the Broncos create gameplans that consist of avoiding throws to his side altogether. And when they actually DO throw to his side, it's either incomplete or intercepted.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nygiants1080

[QUOTE="nygiants1080"]Again, the only reason im comparing the two is because of some clown that thought Clements was better than Bailey. I know that Clements isn't even on of the top 5 DBs in the leagueMiyomatic

He's definetily a top 5 corner.......but Bailey is BY FAR the best in the league. Every team that plays the Broncos create gameplans that consist of avoiding throws to his side altogether. And when they actually DO throw to his side, it's either incomplete or intercepted.

I said Defensive Back. That includes FS and SS.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts
Champ Bailey of course. Sadly, he wasn't on the market so the niners took what they could get. 
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
Nate Clements isn't even in the top 5 CBs in the league. Champ Bailey is 10,000 times better than Clements. 
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts
Nate Clements isn't even better than Asante Samuel, let alone the best in the business, Champ Bailey. The 49ers may end up regretting this blockbuster deal. He wasn't worth that much, they'd better pray he lives up to their lofty expectations...
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Renegade_Fury
Nate Clements isn't even better than Asante Samuel, let alone the best in the business, Champ Bailey. The 49ers may end up regretting this blockbuster deal. He wasn't worth that much, they'd better pray he lives up to their lofty expectations...Eman5805

Why would we regret it? It's not like we're paying him 8 million a year and it isn't like we didn't have much money to blow either. The fact is our secondary was atrocious, and Clements and Lewis will both dramatically improve that area for us. You also can't forget the salary cap inflation so the increase of money spending won't be uncommon in the upcoming years.
haloraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 haloraider
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts

[QUOTE="Eman5805"]Nate Clements isn't even better than Asante Samuel, let alone the best in the business, Champ Bailey. The 49ers may end up regretting this blockbuster deal. He wasn't worth that much, they'd better pray he lives up to their lofty expectations...Renegade_Fury

Why would we regret it? It's not like we're paying him 8 million a year and it isn't like we didn't have much money to blow either. The fact is our secondary was atrocious, and Clements and Lewis will both dramatically improve that area for us. You also can't forget the salary cap inflation so the increase of money spending won't be uncommon in the upcoming years.

There is not question that the Niners will have a vastly improved secondary with Clements. However, between Nate, and Bailey, I would pick Bailey.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"][QUOTE="Eman5805"]Nate Clements isn't even better than Asante Samuel, let alone the best in the business, Champ Bailey. The 49ers may end up regretting this blockbuster deal. He wasn't worth that much, they'd better pray he lives up to their lofty expectations...haloraider

There is not question that the Niners will have a vastly improved secondary with Clements. However, between Nate, and Bailey, I would pick Bailey.

Well duh who wouldn't pick Bailey? :P It's just that Clements was the best on the board, and in general it's usually harder to find a good CB.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nygiants1080
Well duh who wouldn't pick Bailey? :P It's just that Clements was the best on the board, and in general it's usually harder to find a good CB.Renegade_Fury
SrLynx
Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
Champ Bailey...duh.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nygiants1080
Champ Bailey...duh.Flaming_Ape
Im so glad people are making responses like this. This is proving my point that SrLynx didn't know what he was talking about and from now on we can all agree that his opinion is almost worthless.
SrLynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SrLynx
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts

If you were an NFL owner and you had the choice to either get Champ Bailey or Nate Clements (no one else, just out of the two) who would you pick after the season they had in 2006?

(Don't count the contract just the player you'd prefer because of there skill)

I'd take Champ Bailey over Clements any day. Champ Bailey has two more years experience than Clements and only one year older. Champ also is coming over his best season which includued a total of 10 interceptions. Bailey is as close to a shutdown corner as there is and makes interceptions in the clutch (in the red zone). Bailey has soild tackling skill and he seems to have entered his own level of play at cornerback being widely considered the best cornerback in the NFL.

nygiants1080
Heh a personal thread on the 2 DBs huh?! Again, Nate Clements = physical (CB) vs Champ Bailey = Cover (CB). The NFL prefers a physical CB who will not only play the pass but can provide solid run support when needed. Career Stats: Nate Clements (7th yr)...432(tkls), 1.5(sacks), 23(ints), 61(passes def), 5(TD), 13 (FF) Champ Bailey (9th yr)...559(tkls), 1(sack), 39(ints), 97(passes def), 4(TD), 5(FF) The difference is quite clear and emminent of what type of CB they are. We have many creating a fuss such as yourself denouncing whether or not Nate is deserving of that contract. If a CB (which of course Nate did) can hold Marvin Harrison to a meager 2 catches an entire game then that is more than saying something. Anyone who is questioning Nate's skill should have been looking at his progression up until now he is Very Good. Granted, C. Bailey is thee best in Pass Coverage, with such terrifying speed, agility, jump and excellent hands he has redefined the art of Covering WRs. But, Champs weakness lies in in a quick 5yrd hitch route which was done by the Great T.O (lmao..91yds and change) and Hines Ward. Sorry but until Champ Bailey can cover T.O only then we can crown him as thee best.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nygiants1080
The difference is quite clear and emminent of what type of CB they are. We have many creating a fuss such as yourself denouncing whether or not Nate is deserving of that contract. If a CB (which of course Nate did) can hold Marvin Harrison to a meager 2 catches an entire game then that is more than saying something. Anyone who is questioning Nate's skill should have been looking at his progression up until now he is Very Good. Granted, C. Bailey is thee best in Pass Coverage, with such terrifying speed, agility, jump and excellent hands he has redefined the art of Covering WRs. But, Champs weakness lies in in a quick 5yrd hitch route which was done by the Great T.O (lmao..91yds and change) and Hines Ward. Sorry but until Champ Bailey can cover T.O only then we can crown him as thee best. SrLynx
It has nothing to do with teh contract, it has to do with who is better and who isn't. Bailey is better than Clements. And if your going to judge Champ by one play in his carrer than your an idiot. Sorry.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

[QUOTE="romocop33"]lol.nygiants1080

The reason I made this thread is because SrLynx was saying Nate Clements is better than Bailey. Here is the little conversation:

That is hilarious! I think Nate is good but he is not even close to Champ! Very few guys are. I am glad Nate is on the Niners though since it's my team but I would take Champ over Nate any day of the week! Since Nate got that contract Champ should get TWICE as much for his next one! That's how good he is.

killax98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killax98
Member since 2006 • 294 Posts
champ no question you throw to his side youre done

but nate is SEVERELY underated he shut down ocho cinco, harrison, pretty much everybody he just dosent get the game changing pick that makes ppl fear champ but he may do that game changing FF...., hes physical and shut down, and he gets 4 picks per year
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 familyguy77
Member since 2005 • 2238 Posts
Champ... No question.
SrLynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SrLynx
[QUOTE="SrLynx"]The difference is quite clear and emminent of what type of CB they are. We have many creating a fuss such as yourself denouncing whether or not Nate is deserving of that contract. If a CB (which of course Nate did) can hold Marvin Harrison to a meager 2 catches an entire game then that is more than saying something. Anyone who is questioning Nate's skill should have been looking at his progression up until now he is Very Good. Granted, C. Bailey is thee best in Pass Coverage, with such terrifying speed, agility, jump and excellent hands he has redefined the art of Covering WRs. But, Champs weakness lies in in a quick 5yrd hitch route which was done by the Great T.O (lmao..91yds and change) and Hines Ward. Sorry but until Champ Bailey can cover T.O only then we can crown him as thee best. nygiants1080
It has nothing to do with teh contract, it has to do with who is better and who isn't. Bailey is better than Clements. And if your going to judge Champ by one play in his carrer than your an idiot. Sorry.

I see no point in continuing this ongoing discussion of who is better than who if your going to call someone an idiot, maybe the idiot (who is you) should have read my response properly which clearly stated T.O AND Hines Ward who racked up over 170yds+ and 2TDs on Chump Bailey during the 2006 season. You sir, are a fool.
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nygiants1080

I see no point in continuing this ongoing discussion of who is better than who if your going to call someone an idiot, maybe the idiot (who is you) should have read my response properly which clearly stated T.O AND Hines Ward who racked up over 170yds+ and 2TDs on Chump Bailey during the 2006 season. You sir, are a fool.SrLynx

The Broncos never played the Cowboys in 2006, also the Broncos played the Steelers once and Hines didn't score a touchdown...get your facts right before you talk.

So do you want to admit your wrong now? Or are you going to continue making a fool of yourself?

Spedmunds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Spedmunds
Member since 2005 • 157 Posts
Bailey hands down, no contest, You can't even argue about clements. SrLynx....man lie down before you hurt yourself you can't argue about Clements being better because of one game. Peyton Manning threw 3 INTs one game so does that make Matt Hasselback a better QB? i don't think so bucko
raghavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 raghavan
Member since 2003 • 3416 Posts

Bailey, of course. Id rank clements anywhere from 4-7.

And will people stop saying clements made 80 million? I even made a thread about this. Clements will see 43.5 million dollars over 6 years. Clements is NOT the highest paid defensive player, because he will NEVER see 80 million.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nygiants1080

And will people stop saying clements made 80 million? I even made a thread about this. Clements will see 43.5 million dollars over 6 years.Clements is NOT the highest paid defensive player, because he will NEVER see 80 million.raghavan

"The 49ers rewarded Clements, the top player in the ESPN.com ratings of the league's unrestricted free agents, with an eight-year, $80 million contract that includes $22 million in guarantees.By virtually any standard used to assess NFL contracts by those in the industry, the pact makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in league history."

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2786253

Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts
Aight **** it, let's just say Clements inked the richest deal for a defender in history, regardless of if he actually recieves it or not. And that prompts me to say the 49ers just overpaid him cuz he, to me, hasn't proven himself to be worth more than Champ Bailey. This really may screw over the Patriots cuz Asante Samuel sees this happening and thinking how it should be him getting this deal(and by all rights, he would be cuz he's a better, younger CB than Clements). That's just how I feel about it...
PatsFanVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#34 PatsFanVince
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts
Personally I'd take Clements over Samuel because Samuel was on a contract year now I want to see him come back next year and play even better and then maybe they can dish out some money to him but until then this past year to me was just a very good one nothing else.  People also forgetting in the playoffs both Hobbs and Samuel played tremendous from my point of view.  As for this discussion... theres no point in discussing whos better.
SrLynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SrLynx

[QUOTE="SrLynx"] I see no point in continuing this ongoing discussion of who is better than who if your going to call someone an idiot, maybe the idiot (who is you) should have read my response properly which clearly stated T.O AND Hines Ward who racked up over 170yds+ and 2TDs on Chump Bailey during the 2006 season. You sir, are a fool.nygiants1080

The Broncos never played the Cowboys in 2006, also the Broncos played the Steelers once and Hines didn't score a touchdown...get your facts right before you talk.

So do you want to admit your wrong now? Or are you going to continue making a fool of yourself?

I never said the Broncos played the Cowboys in 2006..point out where i stated that...once again you are the fool. Admittedly, i did made an error with the stats posted for Hines Ward should have been (7 recs, 127 yds).
raghavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 raghavan

[QUOTE="raghavan"]And will people stop saying clements made 80 million? I even made a thread about this. Clements will see 43.5 million dollars over 6 years.Clements is NOT the highest paid defensive player, because he will NEVER see 80 million.nygiants1080

"The 49ers rewarded Clements, the top player in the ESPN.com ratings of the league's unrestricted free agents, with an eight-year, $80 million contract that includes $22 million in guarantees.By virtually any standard used to assess NFL contracts by those in the industry, the pact makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in league history."

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2786253

Answer the question. Do you think he will get the 80 mil? Dont be naive. This is a well structured contract. He gets the title, but he aint gettin the money. It looks superfically rich but he wont get the money and thats what counts, because he will not be paid 36.5 million in the last 2 years as the contract is structured, even if he becomes the best CB of all time. My whole point is he gets the title of richest player, but he really isnt.

raghavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 raghavan

Aight **** it, let's just say Clements inked the richest deal for a defender in history, regardless of if he actually recieves it or not. And that prompts me to say the 49ers just overpaid him cuz he, to me, hasn't proven himself to be worth more than Champ Bailey. This really may screw over the Patriots cuz Asante Samuel sees this happening and thinking how it should be him getting this deal(and by all rights, he would be cuz he's a better, younger CB than Clements). That's just how I feel about it... Eman5805

No doubt about it, they did overpay him. He is getting 22 mil guaranteed, about 7 more than my liking, and thats what makes me anxious. But its not nearly as bad as it seems.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nygiants1080

I never said the Broncos played the Cowboys in 2006..point out where i stated that...once again you are the fool. Admittedly, i did made an error with the stats posted for Hines Ward should have been (7 recs, 127 yds).SrLynx

"...read my response properly which clearly stated T.O AND Hines Ward who racked up over 170yds+ and 2TDs on Chump Bailey during the 2006 season."

By using the word "and" it includes Terrell Owens. So the way you typed it made it say that T.O. and Hines Ward played against him.

romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 romocop33
champ had about 8 picks when the other team was in the red zone last year, and a good 7 of them were at the 2 yard line or closer. dude is clutch.
firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
The answer is easily Champ Bailey. There is no such thing as a shut down corner in todays NFL, but he would be the closest to it. Look at the facts. Even the game's best QB, Peyton, won't throw his way just cause it isn't worth the risk. Bailey is amazing.
PowerEchidna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PowerEchidna
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

Bailey, no brainer.

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
The answer is easily Champ Bailey. There is no such thing as a shut down corner in todays NFL, but he would be the closest to it. Look at the facts. Even the game's best QB, Peyton, won't throw his way just cause it isn't worth the risk. Bailey is amazing.firefox59

Well, the reason is because the rules have changed, but Bailey is a bonafide shut down corner, he cuts the secondary in half.