Tie-breakers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Why do I keep hearing that if the Packers win today then they need to beat the Bears next week to make the playoffs? If they win today, shouldn't they have the head-to-head tie-breaker? That would mean the Packers make the playoffs with a win over the Bears OR a Giants loss to the Redskins. WTF?!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50615 Posts

Because right now (before the game is over) Giants have a better record than the Packers.

Btw, you guys lose next week and you're out because no way 'Skins taking down the Giants lol.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

Tampa Bay would also need to lose next week.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure you're right...if I was the Packers I'd much rather control my own destiny instead of watching the scoreboard though. (Plus the Giants losing to Washington doesn't seem that likely to me. It's a must-win for the Packers next week.)
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The-Apostle
With the way the Giants have imploded in the last couple weeks, I'm betting on the 'Skins. They spoiled the Jags playoff birth this week, so I can only hope. :D
Staceys_Mom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Staceys_Mom
Member since 2003 • 66 Posts

The NFL should rethink its playoff format,because there are a few good teams from the NFC that are going to miss the playoffs and a crap team from NFC west is going to get in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

With the way the Giants have imploded in the last couple weeks, I'm betting on the 'Skins. They spoiled the Jags playoff birth this week, so I can only hope. :DThe-Apostle
A man can dream.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

The NFL should rethink its playoff format,because there are a few good teams from the NFC that are going to miss the playoffs and a crap team from NFC west is going to get in.

Staceys_Mom

Yes and some of them make the Superbowl

Whoever wins a division should get to be in, let's not reward a team failing to win it's division

"Oh did you suck just not as much as a team out of your division? well come right in so you can lose right away"

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="Staceys_Mom"]

Jaysonguy

Yes and some of them make the Superbowl

Whoever wins a division should get to be in, let's not reward a team failing to win it's division

"Oh did you suck just not as much as a team out of your division? well come right in so you can lose right away"

I'm not trying to be funny but I legitimately don't understand this post. It sounds like the first half of your post is contradicting the second half.

(Do you really think the Rams/Seahawks deserve to be in the playoffs more than the Packers/Giants?)

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The-Apostle
I don't. Both the Packers AND the Giants deserve it far more than either the Rams OR the Seahawks. No team with a losing record should make the playoffs. And that'll happen if the Seahawks win next week.
Avatar image for No_Hablo_Ingles
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 No_Hablo_Ingles
Member since 2009 • 8448 Posts
Who brought up the idea of a team with a losing record in the playoffs months ago? Me. Everyone was saying, if you win your division you should get in... and I was like "best teams should get in." Now that either the Packers or Giants won't get in everyone is switching... except that Seahawks fan...
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The-Apostle
Actually, I've always felt that way. Also, If they want to keep all four division winners in both conferences in the playoffs, that's fine. However, they should eliminate the wild card and bye weeks all together by adding two other teams in both conferences. They could have a divisional round that lasts two weeks with the winners playing each other the week after. Then the championship games, and for the love of God the Superbowl BEFORE the Pro Bowl. The Divisional round in both conferences would look like this: #1 vs #8 #2 vs #7 #3 vs #6 #4 vs #5 I'm not sure who would play which week, but I do know that the highest seed, no matter what, would play the lowest seed.
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 No_Hablo_Ingles
I don't think adding 2 more teams would help at all. First- That would mean half the teams in the NFL make it... which is too much In my opinion. Secondly- That would still mean an under .500 team would go to the Playoffs this year My solution is simple; top 6 teams, regardless of location get in. There is no reason the Bucs shouldn't get in the Playoffs while the Seahawks or Rams do, because Seattle or St. Louis is more the the West then Tampa.
Staceys_Mom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Staceys_Mom
Member since 2003 • 66 Posts

The top 6 teams in the playoffs would be the best choice,that way an 11-5 team wouldn't have to sit out while a 7-9 team gets in because they play in a weak division.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The-Apostle
Yeah, you guys are right. The Rams and Seahawks should be kept out, and the Packers, Giants and Bucs should all have an equal shot at the playoffs with the top two of the three teams making it in. ;)
Avatar image for marchmadness1012
marchmadness1012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 marchmadness1012
Member since 2003 • 3122 Posts
Yeah, you guys are right. The Rams and Seahawks should be kept out, and the Packers, Giants and Bucs should all have an equal shot at the playoffs with the top two of the three teams making it in. ;)The-Apostle
Your view of this would be completely different if the Packers were the 7-9 team. Why even have divisions if the winner doesn't get in?
No_Hablo_Ingles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 No_Hablo_Ingles
[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Yeah, you guys are right. The Rams and Seahawks should be kept out, and the Packers, Giants and Bucs should all have an equal shot at the playoffs with the top two of the three teams making it in. ;)marchmadness1012
Your view of this would be completely different if the Packers were the 7-9 team. Why even have divisions if the winner doesn't get in?

How can they claim the Playoffs are the NFL's best teams if a team with a better record in the same conference doesn't get in?
CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

[QUOTE="The-Apostle"]Yeah, you guys are right. The Rams and Seahawks should be kept out, and the Packers, Giants and Bucs should all have an equal shot at the playoffs with the top two of the three teams making it in. ;)marchmadness1012

If you get a crappy division and you're a pretty good team, you'll get 6 wins at least.