Six weeks into the season, bigger shock? DEN or TEN?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Mister__Awesome
Mister__Awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Mister__Awesome
Member since 2009 • 2439 Posts

We are already heading into Week 7 and the best regular season team from last year (13-3)the Tennessee Titans are winless (0-6) and are looking like the worst team in the AFC. Many can say injuries decimated the Titans, while that is true, great teams find a way to plug in players and continue forward. (There is a reasons why you pick and draft backups, the coach must be able to prep them too.)

On the other hand; arguably the worse team last year down the stretch en route to missing the playoffs after leading by 3 games with 3 games left thus becoming the first team in NFL history to lose all three to miss the playoffs; The Denver Broncos are an impressive 6-0 beating a tough Patriots team in Overtime and traveling to San Diego and beating the Chargers in their last two games.

Both teams are going into their BYE on completely different tracks from last year. Titans offseason mainly consisted of losing Haynesworth to WAS. While, the Broncos were all over the place in the off-season, Jay Cutler unprofessionally was a nuisance to the team and demanded a trade and recieved one to Chicago in exchange for most noticably Kyle Orton. They picked up Brian Dawkins and improved their defense tremendously. Brandon Marshall was also a nuisance and disgruntled and wanted either a new contract or a trade (Didn't get either).

Anyways, the question is, What is the bigger shock?

1. Tennessee Titans, best record last year 13-3, now 0-6 and a horrible looking team, losing 59-0 to the Patriots (Oh yea :P)
  2. Denver Broncos, 8-8 last year worst team down the stretch as well, now 6-0

Plead your case.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

Denver no doubt. I thought they might be 0-6 at this point. I didn't exactly predict 0-16 for the Titans but at the same time I thought they'd be alot worse than last year

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I'll say Denver .... I figured bad things were going to happen to the Titans after all of the trash talk they did and thestomping on the Terrible Towell.

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
Denver, without a doubt.
justhat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 justhat1
Member since 2009 • 458 Posts

the titans because the have the same team as last year

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
We've already won 75% of our total wins last year.
Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

Easily TEN.

Denver has a great o-line and receivers, so it's easy for an efficent, careful QB to handle the offense. The defense is a huge surprise, but I think it is smoke and mirrors. It's not that crazy they are doing well.

About the only thing Tennessee has going for it right now is a great head coach, an elite offensive line and Chris Johnson. This offense lacks big play ability, and the defense is a nigtmare. It's not just losing Albert Haynesworth either: the linebackers are really bad(Keith Bullick got old fast), and the secondary has been ravaged with injuries. And because the team lost Haynesworth, Kyle VandenBosch has been double and triple teamed all season, so there goes the pass rush.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Denver. I know a lot of people were predicting Tennessee to run away with the division, but I never envisioned them being a lock to win. I thought they were going to do better than they have been doing, but I didn't expect it to be easy for them.

Denver, on the other hand, I expected to at least struggle a little more with their wins. I never have bought into the philosophy of receivers making the QB, and I still don't as I think Orton is an exception, I didn't trust their run game, and I didn't expect their defense to make such a turnaround especially against the run, although Dawkins certainly solidified their pass D. I think the biggest surprise with Denver, though, is Kyle Orton. I expected him to be decent, but 7th in the league in passing, almost 1,500 yards, 244 yards a game, 9 touchdowns, 1 interception, and a passer rating of 100? No way did I think he would have come close to that. That just reinforces my belief that we need a new offensive mind in Chicago, preferrably replacing our current cordinator.

filipino_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 filipino_boy
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

The Broncos. As a fan, no way in my wildest homer fantasy could I have imagined this start. We weren't even sure if Orton would be our starting QB when he first got here. And after that first game in the preseason? Yikes...

Now it looks like we're a for sure playoff team by winning the AFC West, because I don't think this team will collapse like last year's did. Solid offense, great defense, great coaching.... I haven't been this excited since our 13-3 2005 season.

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

Denver. I know a lot of people were predicting Tennessee to run away with the division, but I never envisioned them being a lock to win. I thought they were going to do better than they have been doing, but I didn't expect it to be easy for them.

Denver, on the other hand, I expected to at least struggle a little more with their wins. I never have bought into the philosophy of receivers making the QB, and I still don't as I think Orton is an exception, I didn't trust their run game, and I didn't expect their defense to make such a turnaround especially against the run, although Dawkins certainly solidified their pass D. I think the biggest surprise with Denver, though, is Kyle Orton. I expected him to be decent, but 7th in the league in passing, almost 1,500 yards, 244 yards a game, 9 touchdowns, 1 interception, and a passer rating of 100? No way did I think he would have come close to that. That just reinforces my belief that we need a new offensive mind in Chicago, preferrably replacing our current cordinator.

theone86

With the Broncos offensive line and receivers, you can really plug any decent QB in and succeed. I am not saying that JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn would be doing the same thing, but it is a lot easier on the QB when he has lightyears to find an open receiver and talent at the skill positions. Thier tackles, Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris, are just awesome, and with the 4 headed monster of Marshall/Royal/Stokely/Scheffler, he has the kind of weapons that other QB's would kill for.

But trust me, this defense will not keep this up. It's smoke and mirrors on that side of the ball except for Elvis Dummerville, who is the real deal. But I think the Broncos will be able to score with the best all year as long as they stay healthy.

LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts

Tennessee. I did not expect them to be as good as last season, but they should not be playing as poorly as they are. Denver is a surprise, but I did not think they were going to be a terrible team.

filipino_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 filipino_boy
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

But trust me, this defense will not keep this up. It's smoke and mirrors on that side of the ball except for Elvis Dummerville, who is the real deal. But I think the Broncos will be able to score with the best all year as long as they stay healthy.

heysharpshooter

Champ Bailey would like to have a word with you. If I weren't a Bronco fan, I would've been skeptical about our defense too. But Mike Nolan and this defense are the real deal. They are the strength of this team. Ten second half points given up the entire year? That's some great adjustments thanks to some great coaching.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21709 Posts

Denver for sure. What happened to the big nickel Nowin? :|

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I have to go with TEN by a long shot. Surprise teams looking good always happens. I don't often see a good team like TEN hit the bottom so far and hard and stay there.
Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#15 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

Losing Haynesworth was huge, but I didn't think it would be that bad in Tennessee.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I have to go with TEN by a long shot. Surprise teams looking good always happens. I don't often see a good team like TEN hit the bottom so far and hard and stay there. duxup

Agreed. Surprised teams always show up every season. However I don't think recently I've seen a number 1 seed go from 13-3 to 0-6 and lose 59-0.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

[QUOTE="duxup"]I have to go with TEN by a long shot. Surprise teams looking good always happens. I don't often see a good team like TEN hit the bottom so far and hard and stay there. Seabas989

Agreed. Surprised teams always show up every season. However I don't think recently I've seen a number 1 seed go from 13-3 to 0-6 and lose 59-0.

Yeah I mean they've given up. Mentally they've cracked it seems. Usually, even fallen teams can win some games or show some semblance of what they were. DAMN..
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

heysharpshooter

With the Broncos offensive line and receivers, you can really plug any decent QB in and succeed. I am not saying that JaMarcus Russell or Brady Quinn would be doing the same thing, but it is a lot easier on the QB when he has lightyears to find an open receiver and talent at the skill positions. Thier tackles, Ryan Clady and Ryan Harris, are just awesome, and with the 4 headed monster of Marshall/Royal/Stokely/Scheffler, he has the kind of weapons that other QB's would kill for.

Orton's 20th in the league in number of sacks (20 QB's have been sacked more than him, 20 because of a tie otherwise it'd be 19) and 8th in sack rate, only 7 QB's get sacked at a higher rate. Why I don't believe the receivers are making a huge difference is because there have been other QBs with good receivers who don't get things done, Brady Quinn off the top of my head. The protection has been decent, the receivers are good no doubt, but I personally think being under the tutelage of Mc Daniels has helped him the most.

bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
This is a really good poll. I'm going to go with Denver because I thought they were going to be contenders for #1 overall pick next year.
MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

Tennessee..from a good year last year to getting the number 1 pick this year

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Ten, i knew they were a fluke but to come out 0-6?
chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts
Denver...definately
Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

For me the bigger surprise in Denver. Before the season I figured Tennessee wouldnt do very good. Go 7-9 or 8-8 but they are 0-6 so I guess I was being to generous.

Last year Tenessee was succesful cuz they could get ahaed and then shut down the other team. This year they cant do either of those things. 59-0 GO PATS

BigGhost_AJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 BigGhost_AJT
Member since 2004 • 928 Posts

Tennessee by far. How does a team go from 13 wins and amongst the class of the AFC to looking like one of the worst in the span of 8 months. What the hell happened there?

Denver is surprising as well but we've seen bad teams turn it around numerous times in recent years. Miami did it just last year. So nothing terribly new there though they do deserve credit. For my money though Tennessee's turn for the worst is most shocking...baffling even.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

TEN. Although 6-0 was a surprise for DEN, 0-6 is a bigger surprise by TEN.

Ceneb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ceneb
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts
The Titans for sure, coming off a huge season and then going 0 - 6 isn't good at all. I knew the Broncos had talent, did I think they would go 6 - 0? No, but I had definite doubt in something like the Titans going 0 - 6.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Denver, I thought they would be failing miserably this season. So far they're doing pretty good for themselves. I have a bias hate for Titans, so it kind of gives a smile on my face.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

I'll say Denver. I thought they would be really bad, with a rookie coach, all after having all those problems in the offseason with Cutler and Marshall. Plus, I didn't think Kyle Orton was very good, just average, but he has only 1 INT this year, and they've had to beat some good teams in the past couple weeks to get to 6-0. I thought Tennessee would still be good and even though they lost Albert Haynesworth, they still had all their main pieces from last year.

Gundamforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gundamforce
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

I would say Tennessee. It's pretty shocking that they were 13-3 last year, to being so far winless this season. Although as a Chargers fan, Denver shocking the nfl is a huge kick in the balls to me.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Its a good argument for both, but I mean in no way did I expect Tenn to be 0-6.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The Broncos. As a fan, no way in my wildest homer fantasy could I have imagined this start. We weren't even sure if Orton would be our starting QB when he first got here. And after that first game in the preseason? Yikes...

Now it looks like we're a for sure playoff team by winning the AFC West, because I don't think this team will collapse like last year's did. Solid offense, great defense, great coaching.... I haven't been this excited since our 13-3 2005 season.

filipino_boy

I was about to just give up when Denver got Orton, I mean I'm glad Cutler is finally out of here but I was hoping we would get Cassel or someone else, never thought we woulda went with Orton.

I love the new coaching staff, so glad Mike Shanahan is gone (sorry but I did not like the guy).

Also Dumervil is a beast.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Ugh, I hate byes! :x Short week though. No school on Friday. Can't wait to play Baltimore.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
My Madden Franchise mode had Tennessee at undefeated for damn near the whole season. :lol: