Pats going after Miami's Wes Welker

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
Evidently the Patriots are offering Wes Welker of the Miami Dolphins $38.5 million over 7 years to come play for them.  He is only garaunteed 10 mil. but if the Dolphins matched the offer they would have to pay the full amount at the end of the contract (poison pill by NE).  The Pats must give Miami a 2nd round pick in the draft.

You can look at this 2 ways.  A 3rd WR for a 2nd round pick is a steal or as a few fans see it, its like trading a consistent player for a raffle ticket.

The Patriots have also signed Sammy Morris (special teams/back up RB) from Miami.

I myself don't want to see him go, he was my favorite offensive player on the 'fins. :(
peacebringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#2 peacebringer
Member since 2006 • 3371 Posts
Pats are chasing the title they tryed to do it the cheap way the last 2 years and it isn't working and this year they really are stacking there chips and ready to go all in.(and they have a straight flush)
badaboom187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 badaboom187
Member since 2005 • 6917 Posts
wow...Pats are going to be back in the SB again this year
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 familyguy77
Member since 2005 • 2238 Posts

wow...Pats are going to be back in the SB again this yearbadaboom187

I think they got a really good shot, but I wouldn't crown them just yet.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts
The Patriots are pretty aggressive this year in the free agency, they are normally not like this.
PatsFanVince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#6 PatsFanVince
Member since 2006 • 290 Posts
I agree I wouldn't just crown them yet but as I said before as long as they sign some good free agents and draft good they could make another run at it.  I'm actually glad there spending this money this time around instead of letting players like Branch go so its been a interesting offseason so far.  Welker has good hands and runs good routes they probably figure why spend a round 2 pick on a unproven wide receiver they can just get one here.  In some ways hes like Branch, same height, same weight I think he'll be a good player for us.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
Evidently the Patriots are offering Wes Welker of the Miami Dolphins $38.5 million over 7 years to come play for them.  He is only garaunteed 10 mil. but if the Dolphins matched the offer they would have to pay the full amount at the end of the contract (poison pill by NE).  The Pats must give Miami a 2nd round pick in the draft.

You can look at this 2 ways.  A 3rd WR for a 2nd round pick is a steal or as a few fans see it, its like trading a consistent player for a raffle ticket.

The Patriots have also signed Sammy Morris (special teams/back up RB) from Miami.

I myself don't want to see him go, he was my favorite offensive player on the 'fins. :(
cametall
Not only is Welker a WR, KR, and PR, but he is also a backup place kicker. I'm thinking he could actually be the #2 WR in NE.
nickmag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nickmag
Member since 2006 • 6710 Posts
A hell of a lot of money for a KR and a 3rd WR :?
dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
I agree I wouldn't just crown them yet but as I said before as long as they sign some good free agents and draft good they could make another run at it. I'm actually glad there spending this money this time around instead of letting players like Branch go so its been a interesting offseason so far. Welker has good hands and runs good routes they probably figure why spend a round 2 pick on a unproven wide receiver they can just get one here. In some ways hes like Branch, same height, same weight I think he'll be a good player for us.PatsFanVince

I agree. There is no need for the Patriots to use up one of their 1st or 2nd round draft picks on a WR, considering we already drafted Chad Jackson, who will mold into an excellent reciever. Plus, WR corps including doug gabriel, chad jackson, Wes Welker, and Reche Caldwell is not all that bad. There are better ways for the Pats to use those early round draft picks like improving their secondary for example. Unless of course, an excellent WR that should have been drafted in the top 15 drops into Pat's lap.
bunchofpixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bunchofpixels
Member since 2003 • 7049 Posts
[QUOTE="PatsFanVince"]I agree I wouldn't just crown them yet but as I said before as long as they sign some good free agents and draft good they could make another run at it. I'm actually glad there spending this money this time around instead of letting players like Branch go so its been a interesting offseason so far. Welker has good hands and runs good routes they probably figure why spend a round 2 pick on a unproven wide receiver they can just get one here. In some ways hes like Branch, same height, same weight I think he'll be a good player for us.dkhw

I agree. There is no need for the Patriots to use up one of their 1st or 2nd round draft picks on a WR, considering we already drafted Chad Jackson, who will mold into an excellent reciever. Plus, WR corps including doug gabriel, chad jackson, Wes Welker, and Reche Caldwell is not all that bad. There are better ways for the Pats to use those early round draft picks like improving their secondary for example. Unless of course, an excellent WR that should have been drafted in the top 15 drops into Pat's lap.

Doug Gabriel was released last season and is now back with the Raiders. Chad Jackson tore his ACL in the AFC Championship and wont be back till mid season.