Official MLB Offseason Thread.

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Top 10 offseason storylines: Trades, free agency, awards, more

Important team options.

Blue Jays interested in Gordon Beckham

Rangers to extend qualifying offer to Nelson Cruz

Yankees to extend qualifying offers to Robinson Cano, Hiroki Kuroda

MLB will test expanded replay in Arizona Fall League

Red Sox exercise $13 million option on Jon Lester

Rangers closer Joe Nathan declines $9M option

Atlanta Braves agree to two-year contract with pitching coach Roger McDowell

Brad Ausmus to replace Jim Leyland

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@Master_Live

Are you more of baseball guy then other sports?

Anyway, my White Sox signed some Cuban player for $65m. That's too much for an unproven player.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

@PSP107 said:

@Master_Live

Anyway, my White Sox signed some Cuban player for $65m. That's too much for an unproven player.

It's possible but I don't think they're going to regret it. Most everyone whose able to follow these sorts of things seems to believe he's a prospect to both Puig and Cespedes. I would however be more concerned about Japanese pitcher Mashiro Tanaka and his alleged $75-100M posting fee. If you use Darvish's contract as a template (6 years/$70M), then you're paying $20M out of pocket per year (though it doesn't count against the salary cap). It does however seem inevitable somebody is going to pay it, but I hope the Red Sox spend more wisely rather than reaching for an ace.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Master_Live

I love how teams aren't recycling the same old managers but actually giving opportunities to fresh faces.

@PSP107 said:

@Master_Live

Yes I am.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Seeing as I am not familiar with the man and more ignorant of baseball than I am assuming there are people here a lot more knowledgeable of baseball than I am, I am curious as to what people think of Brad Ausmus taking over the manager position for the Tigers.

Is this a good pick to replace Leyland? Should we have even higher hopes for the team with the new management next year?

So far it sounds pretty good to me based on what I am reading about the man on wikipedia, mainly because he is supposedly very gifted when it comes to handling pitchers, which I feel the Tigers need to work on their bullpen more than anything.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Master_Live

Well, he was a good catcher which is always good, a good catcher is basically a field general inside the diamond. He is also "open" to sabermetrics plus for whatever is worth (to me is significant) he went to Darthmouth. So he isn't dumb.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@Master_Live said:

Well, he was a good catcher which is always good, a good catcher is basically a field general inside the diamond. He is also "open" to sabermetrics plus for whatever is worth (to me is significant) he went to Darthmouth. So he isn't dumb.

So sounds like good news then? Good to hear!

Really curious to see what, if anything, he does about the bullpen situation. They really need to figure something out or they have no chance of taking a World Series win next year IMO.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Master_Live

Well that has been a problem for at least to years now but that falls under the purview of GM Dave Dombrowski. They need to assess whether they got good enough arms down in the minors to promote to the majors right away or if they have to sign free agents reliever which is never advisable since relievers performance are, in general, quite inconsistent from year to year.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LostProphetFLCL

@Master_Live said:

Well that has been a problem for at least to years now but that falls under the purview of GM Dave Dombrowski. They need to assess whether they got good enough arms down in the minors to promote to the majors right away or if they have to sign free agents reliever which is never advisable since relievers performance are, in general, quite inconsistent from year to year.

Yes they really need to figure something out. The fact that two of the Tigers losses against Boston came after the relief pitchers gave up freaking grand slams is absolutely unacceptable.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

Not surprised by some of the QO, both made and not made.

I hope Johnson comes back cheaper, and I'd like to take a run at Ruiz, Infante and Samardzija.

My pipe dream is Cano and trading for a big name pitcher. Some sites have said if the Jays have the cash and the fact we NEED to be better next season to save AA and Gibbons jobs, we could aggressively go after Cano. The strong presence of Dominicans like Reyes, Edwin, Bautista and Cabrera could be a selling point apparently.

Again, my dream offseason. I don't actually see Cano going anywhere.

Avatar image for Braun_Roid_Rage
Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Braun_Roid_Rage
Member since 2013 • 790 Posts

Wish the Rangers would dump that scrub ron washington.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#12 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Glad Jeter took a 'hometown discount'. 12 mill for one more kick at the can. Hope he's healthy when they make their trip West. I would love to see him play one last time.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

The Braves are getting a new stadium in 2017.......

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#14 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

@Ring_of_fire said:

This is shocking news straight up, considering that Turner Field is only 16 years old. But honestly, I've been wondering for some if this was going to happen. Why? Because the part of Atlanta that Turner Field is in is complete crap. It's poor, shockingly undeveloped, and underpopulated compared to the northern reaches of Fulton County. In traffic, it takes nearly an hour to get from the vastly more developed and more highly concentrated populations of counties like Gwinnett and Cobb. It's too much of a hassle for the majority of people around the Atlanta metro to get to the Ted. The public transportation even sucks. The new location has traffic problems of its own, but still not as bad as the south Atlanta slums. It's hard to say for sure if this will increase fan attendance, but I think this move will at least bring some hope. I wonder if they'll put a roof on to try and do something about summer day games.

Per ESPN: "A new ballpark in Cobb County would be closer to more of the affluent Atlanta suburbs."

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

@Ring_of_fire said:

Sweet, both the Braves and Falcons now are gettin stadiums in 17. The Ted is nice, but I understand ppls complaints about the area. Might get season tickets when I get out the service.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GamerForca

For the record, the Braves' stadium is actually located in the second poorest neighborhood of all MLB stadiums.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Master_Live

Wil Myers and Jose Fernandez won AL and NL Rookie of the Year

I agree with both picks.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts

@GamerForca said:

@Ring_of_fire said:

This is shocking news straight up, considering that Turner Field is only 16 years old. But honestly, I've been wondering for some if this was going to happen. Why? Because the part of Atlanta that Turner Field is in is complete crap. It's poor, shockingly undeveloped, and underpopulated compared to the northern reaches of Fulton County. In traffic, it takes nearly an hour to get from the vastly more developed and more highly concentrated populations of counties like Gwinnett and Cobb. It's too much of a hassle for the majority of people around the Atlanta metro to get to the Ted. The public transportation even sucks. The new location has traffic problems of its own, but still not as bad as the south Atlanta slums. It's hard to say for sure if this will increase fan attendance, but I think this move will at least bring some hope. I wonder if they'll put a roof on to try and do something about summer day games.

Per ESPN: "A new ballpark in Cobb County would be closer to more of the affluent Atlanta suburbs."

I'm more surprised the Braves were able to keep it quiet rather than the move itself. The move make sense, as they are moving to an area where there are more ticket sales are higher. No guarantee that it will drive up attendance though. I hear it will be around 42K, which even if it doesn't bring a ton more attendance, it will look like less of a problem. Braves averaged around 31K a game last season, 11K empty seats would look completely different than 29K.

I doubt there will be a roof, probably to keep the cost down.

I am curious to see what the stadium will look like.

36Ounces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 36Ounces
Member since 2006 • 2065 Posts

@Ring_of_fire: Yea dude it's crazy cuz I grew up about 15 min from the new site and haven't heard shit till the other day. Nobody from around there really knew. I think most season ticket holders live in the Cobb-Gwinnett area though.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GamerForca

Honestly, Gwinnett would've been ideal, if the Braves hadn't already made the stupid move of putting the AAA team there.

Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Braun_Roid_Rage

I feel bad for Jose being on the Marlins. Both are the right picks.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Master_Live

I agree with both choices.

Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Braun_Roid_Rage

Yu is my dude. The Rangers never give his ass any run support.

Cabrera's not a human. Props to him & McCutchen for the MVPs.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

Why they always wait so long to announce the award winners. NBA and I believe NFL as well announce their awards at the end of their respective regular season.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

Lol Angels https://twitter.com/markasaxon/status/387347540204470272

.Anyone know where Kimbrel is? http://imgur.com/EVHJppf

Baker http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2013/10/4/4801988/dusty-bakers-undoing

Leyland http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P9DHA2dJ7uQ

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/10/21/4862402/jim-leyland-retires-career-highlights-video-smoking

lol Mets http://richmacleod.tumblr.com/post/64871447971/notable-mets-twitter-troll-arrested

http://www.baseballnation.com/2013/10/25/5029232/gold-glove-announcement-al-nl

https://twitter.com/BrettAnderson49/status/394624673024970752/photo/1

https://twitter.com/nocoastoffense/status/394622773907034113

SDSU Halloween http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXfoANBjnCU#t=47

https://twitter.com/FOXSports1/status/395307284953178112/photo/1

https://twitter.com/thorn_john/status/396715307395334144

In the year of "42" only 1 African American player in WS http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-world-series-bud-selig-african-american-player-20131026,0,117671.story#axzz2iq6BGV1U

lol Yankees https://twitter.com/ToddRadom/status/398844600208461824

Congrats to the Red Sox http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2013/11/2/5051538/the-red-sox-the-2013-world-series-and-baseballs-soul

Satire about the Braves getting a new ballpark http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/11/11/5092546/a-desperate-trip-into-the-ruins-of-turner-field

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Master_Live

WOAH

Fielder to Texas.

Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Braun_Roid_Rage

@Master_Live said:

WOAH

Fielder to Texas.

Love it man. We'll be back next season mofos !

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I did not see that trade coming. I didn't think the Tigers would trade Fielder, nor did I think anyone would want to trade for Fielder with that huge salary.

Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Braun_Roid_Rage

@Toxic-Seahorse: Glad the Tigers are sending $ 30 mill. to Texas in the deal. Kinsler's contract was too big for him anyway imo. Ranger park is a sluggers park so he'll fit right in.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LostProphetFLCL

Very interesting trade. Like the idea of someone who can run being on the team. Fielder had been really falling off anyways and his attitude just seemed like he didn't care to try and play well and help the team.

I hear speculation that this move will free up salary space for us so we can hopefully afford to get Scherzer on a new contract.

Now if we can just go and get some relief pitching we will be set...

Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Braun_Roid_Rage

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Very interesting trade. Like the idea of someone who can run being on the team. Fielder had been really falling off anyways and his attitude just seemed like he didn't care to try and play well and help the team.

I hear speculation that this move will free up salary space for us so we can hopefully afford to get Scherzer on a new contract.

The trade was good for both of us really.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@Braun_Roid_Rage said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

The trade was good for both of us really.

If the Rangers are right in thinking that Fielder is going to start putting up his good numbers again then yeah, it will be good for both teams.

I just kind of question Fielders dedication at this point. Part of me feels like he doesn't put in as much effort as he should. I feel like if he puts some effort in he could get back to his beastly self.

Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Braun_Roid_Rage

The Rangers have the money so it's not a problem. Heard we might go after Cano next.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Master_Live

Freese to the Angels.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Master_Live

McCann to Yankees.

Cards give Jhonny Peralta 4-year deal

Well, I'm glad we don't a black hole at the catcher position but now McCann has the second highest average contract for a catcher behind Posey. Yet this kind of article The Yankees and McCann: A Perfect Match makes me giddy.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Boston_Boyy

Title should say 5-years/85M, but regardless I'm more than fine with not getting him at that price. I'd much rather spend that money reassembling last year's roster (sans Ellsbury), and shoring up our depth in the bullpen, outfield, and left side of the infield.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

hated that move. the yankees arent going to win a championship even if they picked up all the top free agents. they need to secure their future and this isnt helping

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Boston_Boyy

Hall of Fame ballot has been released. My personal thoughts are that Maddux, Thomas, and Biggio get in this year. Glavine winds up in a similar situation as Biggio did last year. Piazza sets himself up nicely for a year 3 induction. Schilling, Bagwell, and Raines all inch their way towards their eventual inductions. Bonds and Clemens see a modest gain in support, but only to a level where it may be just about maxed up for the foreseeable future. Mussina has a solid under the radar debut, that may allow him to get inducted in the future. Jack Morris sees a modest boost to around 70% but doesn't get inducted.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JohnBean42

Today has been crazy. JP Arencibia a free agent, Fister to the Nats last night, Dexter Fowler to the 'Stros. And now Ellsbury to the Yanks seems likely.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24325803/ellsbury-getting-close-to-a-sevenyear-deal-with-the-yankees

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Also, Saltalamacchia to the Marlins.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JohnBean42

@yokofox33: Oh ya. That was also surprising to me.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Boston_Boyy

AJ Pierzynski signed with the Red Sox as well, one year for $8.25M. I can live with that singing as long as other internal and external options are explored after this deal is up.

I'm going to miss Ellsbury, but there's no way we could have justified bringing him back for that much money. Some thoughts on the team going forward though. I am now expecting that a Rajai Davis or Nate McLouth type to be signed to a short-term deal in the near-future. If only to give us a clear, above replacement level option in centerfield if Bradley breaks down or starts as he did last year

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LostProphetFLCL

Don't forget, Tigers looking to close a deal with Joe Nathan.

Reaaallly hope this happens as we need a good closer more than anything right now.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

@JohnBean42: It's not all that surprising honestly. Salty didn't have many offers, the Marlins were in desperate need of a catcher, and he's actually from South Florida. The only surprising part is for how "cheap" we got him. Many marlins fans thought he was going to get 10+ a year from us because Loria is insane. 3/21 is a pretty fair deal.

Rumors are also swirling that we're going to go hard for Napoli, another South Florida native and good friends with Salty and Jeff Mathis.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#45 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

Really grateful for what Ellsubry did for the Red Sox since 07, but totally understandable why Boston let him walk (given the fact Boston offered him less than 120 million). Ellsbury is not worth 153 million to the Yankees. For a player of his caliber that relies on speed, Ellsbury will get older and lose that athletic ability much so like Crawford. Furthermore, he is injury prone. If he returns to his 2011 form, then the Yankees will prosper but I highly doubt that.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46  Edited By X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

Please let this mean the Yanks lose Cano and we can get Tanaka, the Yanks could end up being the Angels really fast. I hear the Yanks outdid their Pythag record by about 6 games last year..........................

;-/

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Master_Live

Joe Nathan joins Detroit Tigers

Mariners targeting Robinson Cano

Rockies' Carlos Gonzalez to man CF

Source: Marlins add Saltalamacchia

Rays get Ryan Hanigan, Heath Bell

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#48 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

Robbie Cano is a Seattle Mariner! I don't care if the deal may end up costing us in years 7-10, this is huge now. Brings a consistent bat to the Mariners, and could attract other high profile free agents. This owns.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Master_Live

The M's ain't that far from becoming a winning team. But yeah, this deal will become an albatross sooner than later. But that is that. I'm glad the Yanks played hardball and actually stood their ground. Lets see if we go after Infante or stay with Kelly Johnson.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JohnBean42

Interesting article here about dysfunction in the Mariners front office. I know Wedge resigned due to different visions or something but..wow.

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariners/2022420240_mariners08xml.html