NFL: Chris Johnson Wants Pay above the top RBs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

link

I personally think this is ridiculous, and if he won't budge they might as well find a sucker team willing to give up draft picks and into his demands, and use the picks to get better elsewhere. The Titans are gonna suck for the next few years, and I know he's young but honestly, you don't even need an elite rushing game nowadays. The Packers won a Super Bowl ranked 24th in rushing yards (and weren't any better in ypc), while the Saints and Colts finished 28th and 29th respectively. The Colts even made the Super Bowl with the 32nd ranked running game in 09. 5 of the top 10 best rushing attacks (in both yards and ypc) missed the playoffs.
Now don't get me wrong, the running game isn't useless by any means, but it's more of a luxury than a necessity. Especially when you look at how much correlation to sucess there in the passing game (8 of the top 11 passing attacks in terms of rating made the playoffs, while 9 of the 11 worst didn't, and that number includes the 7-9 Seahawks), and Defense (8 of the 9 worst defenses in terms of PPGA missed the playoffs, while 8 of the 9 who allowed the least made it).

-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
He has the most rushing yards of anyone in the last 3 years. He's far and away their best player. And he's making measly money for the kind of production he puts up. The Titans are stupid. They should have had an agreement with him the moment the lockout ended. He has every right to hold out.
fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fsurb28
Member since 2008 • 1329 Posts

he deserves the money BUT business wise for that team it doesn't fit since they're not legit super bowl contenders, like some1 else said i would also trade him to fill other holes, this reminds me a lot when barry sanders was on a mediocre team, imagine the numbers he would put up if he was in new england

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

He deserves every penny he can squeeze from them.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

he deserves the money BUT business wise for that team it doesn't fit since they're not legit super bowl contenders, like some1 else said i would also trade him to fill other holes, this reminds me a lot when barry sanders was on a mediocre team, imagine the numbers he would put up if he was in new england

fsurb28

That is the perfect comparison. The man deserves his money, at least meet him halfway.

Plus, I have him as a keeper in my fantasy league. :(

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Pay the man.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
*Watches in horror as he goes to the Eagles.* :P
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
One of the best players in the game deserves to be payed like one.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 i5750at4Ghz
Member since 2010 • 5839 Posts

This is no longer a runningback league. He doesn't deserve the money at all. Runningbacks don't win games in the NFL anymore. Look at the last 10 SB winners. Not a single one had a pro bowl RB. Trade his ass for a high draft pick or a much needed QB.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
He should get paid but too bad that he plays for a terrible team.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Oleg_Huzwog

This is no longer a runningback league. He doesn't deserve the money at all. Runningbacks don't win games in the NFL anymore. Look at the last 10 SB winners. Not a single one had a pro bowl RB. Trade his ass for a high draft pick or a much needed QB.

i5750at4Ghz

They just used a high draft pick on a QB. They need a running game to gently ease him into the role. It's in the Titans' overall long-term best interests to have a strong running game in the short-term. They need to pay him.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts
you're the highest paid RB already. shut up and take your money.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ExoticAnimal
you're the highest paid RB already. shut up and take your money.starwarsjunky
How much is he making right now? I thought it was like 2 million or something around there?
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]you're the highest paid RB already. shut up and take your money.ExoticAnimal
How much is he making right now? I thought it was like 2 million or something around there?

According to the link, his salary going into this season is only $800k.

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ExoticAnimal

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"][QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]you're the highest paid RB already. shut up and take your money.Oleg_Huzwog

Perhaps he got some bonuses or something cuz i remember reading another article a while back saying that he made 2 million. I'll have to try and find it.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"] How much is he making right now? I thought it was like 2 million or something around there?ExoticAnimal

Perhaps he got some bonuses or something cuz i remember reading another article a while back saying that he made 2 million. I'll have to try and find it.

Last year's salary was upped from $1.5 million to $2.05 million. His contract was front-loaded; more money in the earlier years, less in the later.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"] How much is he making right now? I thought it was like 2 million or something around there?ExoticAnimal

That's true and not true. The Titans moved the escalators from the end of Johnson's contract to his 2010 salary to raise it from 550k to about 2 million instead of giving him a new contract. From the player's perspective, that's BS because Johnson's 2000 yard season could easily be the best year of his career and he should've been compensated for it. On the other hand, he made about 4 million in bonuses his first few years because of his performance. This year his base salary is 960,000. It's highly likely that includes several performance based bonuses, so he COULD make 2 million. CJ wants a contract that has 30-40 million GUARANTEED. This is where I have to side with management. That's is FAR too much for a running back. That is not the total contract, that is just the guaranteed money. So he's looking for a 5-6 year, 60-80 million dollar deal with 30-40 million guaranteed. Runningbacks are prone to getting injured, especially backs who carry the load like CJ. If CJ gets the max deal, that'll put the Titans in at 16 million a season for his services. Is that really worth it? If he gets that kind of contract, Peterson is in for HUGE payday as well.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

i5750at4Ghz
This!
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 starwarsjunky
he was only #4 last year in total yards, #7 in yards/game, #6 in TDs. what makes him think he's head and shoulders above everyone else?
fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fsurb28

man i can't believe some of these posts, let me see if i understand this, the guy produces year in and year out, he's the # 2 back in the league behind all day, but the guy doesn't deserve to be paid, am i missing something?

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 i5750at4Ghz

man i can't believe some of these posts, let me see if i understand this, the guy produces year in and year out, he's the # 2 back in the league behind all day, but the guy doesn't deserve to be paid, am i missing something?

fsurb28
Yeah I think you did. If they can't build a winning team around him at the price he's at now, how is giving him more money going to help? He's not helping to produce wins. At the end of the day you don't get paid for being good, you get paid for winning.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 starwarsjunky

fsurb28
paid at the top of his position? sure. at the top of the league? aka head and shoulders above other runningbacks? Nope.
fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fsurb28

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

i5750at4Ghz

Yeah I think you did. If they can't build a winning team around him at the price he's at now, how is giving him more money going to help? He's not helping to produce wins. At the end of the day you don't get paid for being good, you get paid for winning.

uhh, last time i checked it takes more than 1 guy to win, that's like saying the pats win because of brady so lets pay him, so it's his fault they can't build a team around him, if they or any other team isn't building to win they have no business being in business in the 1st place, so if i rush for 480 yards during the season and we win does that mean i get paid?

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fsurb28

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

starwarsjunky

paid at the top of his position? sure. at the top of the league? aka head and shoulders above other runningbacks? Nope.

did i just comprehend that right, 1st you said top of his position yes, then above other rb's nope, did he just change positions cause last i knew he was a rb

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 i5750at4Ghz

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"][QUOTE="fsurb28"]

fsurb28

uhh, last time i checked it takes more than 1 guy to win, that's like saying the pats win because of brady so lets pay him, so it's his fault they can't build a team around him, if they or any other team isn't building to win they have no business being in business in the 1st place, so if i rush for 480 yards during the season and we win does that mean i get paid?

Yea look at Addai.
starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"][QUOTE="fsurb28"]

fsurb28

did i just comprehend that right, 1st you said top of his position yes, then above other rb's nope, did he just change positions cause last i knew he was a rb

lol no, you didn't. there's a difference between being the highest paid rb and being paid a ton more than any of the other runningbacks ;)

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fsurb28

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] Yeah I think you did. If they can't build a winning team around him at the price he's at now, how is giving him more money going to help? He's not helping to produce wins. At the end of the day you don't get paid for being good, you get paid for winning. i5750at4Ghz

Yea look at Addai.

johnson is wayyy better than addai

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 i5750at4Ghz

fsurb28

Yea look at Addai.

I agree, but that wasn't the point.
fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fsurb28

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"] paid at the top of his position? sure. at the top of the league? aka head and shoulders above other runningbacks? Nope.starwarsjunky

lol no, you didn't. there's a difference between being the highest paid rb and being paid a ton more than any of the other runningbacks ;)

so by that analogy shouldn't brees, rodgers, etc be paid like brady, because if thats the case jeff saturday should be the highest paid center in the league and not kalil

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fsurb28

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] Yea look at Addai.i5750at4Ghz

i understand your point but all i'm saying is if i'm producing consistently i want to be compensated, i'm doing my part but if the gm can't build a team then he needs to go

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 starwarsjunky

[QUOTE="starwarsjunky"]

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

fsurb28

so by that analogy shouldn't brees, rodgers, etc be paid like brady, because if thats the case jeff saturday should be the highest paid center in the league and not kalil

yes, if they're similar in skill level, they should make at least somewhat close to what they are. and i'm sure their next contracts will reflect that.
i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 i5750at4Ghz

fsurb28

i understand your point but all i'm saying is if i'm producing consistently i want to be compensated, i'm doing my part but if the gm can't build a team then he needs to go

And he is. They simply are refusing to over pay him.
fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fsurb28

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

[QUOTE="i5750at4Ghz"] I agree, but that wasn't the point.i5750at4Ghz

i'm sorry but what they're giving him is a flat out joke, if he's going to be pimped like that then shouldn't brady get like no more than 12 mil a year, there's a big difference between these 2 but like i said it's not my job to build the team, i'm doing my part

fsurb28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fsurb28

1 more thing, if they don't want to give him what he deserves then trade him

i5750at4Ghz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 i5750at4Ghz

fsurb28

i'm sorry but what they're giving him is a flat out joke, if he's going to be pimped like that then shouldn't brady get like no more than 12 mil a year, there's a big difference between these 2 but like i said it's not my job to build the team, i'm doing my part

It's a QB/Defensive league. Hes a product of his position.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Master_Live

[QUOTE="fsurb28"]

i5750at4Ghz

At the end of the day you don't get paid for being good, you get paid for winning.

No you don't. See A-Rod at Texas, Michael Redd in Milwaukee or Albert Haynesworth in Washington. If not Robert Horry would had been one of the highest players ever. If

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Master_Live

1 more thing, if they don't want to give him what he deserves then trade him

fsurb28
Fact.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
All the garbage about the Titans not being able to with CJ is hilarious. It's not CJ's fault the team has no wide recievers, QB, or defense.