MLB: Dan Uggla traded to Braves

This topic is locked from further discussion.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5814146

I'm an embarrassed Marlins fan right now. It's not that we traded him (we offered him a very fair contract extension), but it's that we traded him within the division to a rival. For pretty much nothing. Infante is a utility guy and Dunn is a reliever.

AWFUL.

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

Good lord, what a steal.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Braves getting better.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 yokofox33

This might be a long read, and most of you won't care, but now that I've read more into the facts I'm glad Uggla is gone. There is no doubt he performed awesome for the Marlins, but he was demanding way too much money. He is 30 years old and was commanding a 5 year, 71 million dollar contract. That's roughly 14 million dollars a year. He'd be 35 at the end of that contract. He's a streaky hitter with exceptional power and no defense. The Marlins offered him 4/48 and were reported to go beyond that to keep him. He refused.

Also, 71 is an arbitrary number that has no meaning. Why did he ask for 71? To literally "one up" Hanley Ramirez who got a 6 year/70 million dollar contract from the Marlins. There had been tension between those two for awhile. His whole purpose of demanding 71 was to have the one up on Hanley. Immature move. Say what you will about Hanley, but the fact is he has a 70 million dollar contract. You can't change that. Uggla just wanted to have it better than him.

When he was traded Uggla also made a d**k comment. He said he was "saddened" to leave the Marlins, but way more excited to join the Braves. The Marlins were the team that drafted him in the Rule V draft. They were the ones who gave him an opportunity to play in the bigs. He could still be stuck in the minors to this day if it weren't for the Marlins.

While I'm upset we traded him to a division rival (and got almost nothing), I'm happy he's gone. He cleary didn't want to play for the Marlins and he only would have stayed just to have the "one up" on Hanley Ramirez.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#5 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
Braves needed power, so that's good. Uggla has also single-handedly defeated the Braves in the past, so him being off the Marlins' team may automatically result in a few more wins for the Braves.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Got robbed yes, but i don't care for middle infielders that can't field.
N0madic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N0madic
Member since 2010 • 99 Posts
holy we got uggla? haha yessssssssssss!!!
CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Yea, I don't know what the Marlins were thinking....
Avatar image for marchmadness1012
marchmadness1012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 marchmadness1012
Member since 2003 • 3122 Posts

I don't get the Braves, they get fleeced in the Escobar deal and then do this to the Marlins. Two completely opposite deals

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#10 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

I don't get the Braves, they get fleeced in the Escobar deal and then do this to the Marlins. Two completely opposite deals

marchmadness1012
Escobar was traded away because of his attitude and nothing else. Bobby was tired of him, as were many of the Braves players.
JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JohnBean42
Member since 2008 • 2810 Posts

That's a steal.

I wonder, yokofox33, do you think trading Maybin was a good move? Especially when he's so young?

PoeticTheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PoeticTheory
Member since 2010 • 673 Posts
That's a good trade for the Braves, it will be interesting to see how it will work out next season.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 X360PS3AMD05
It's for only one year....................so good for the Braves, if you're going to have a 2B that sabotages your chances, might as well have one that can hit. For the Marlins, well maybe it wasn't so bad, they couldn't afford the guy and they will be ok if their 2 WS titles indicate anything.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 yokofox33

That's a steal.

I wonder, yokofox33, do you think trading Maybin was a good move? Especially when he's so young?

JohnBean42

Maybin was very ineffective during his time in Florida, and the team really needed bullpen help. Mujica and Webb are really good, so it was a great trade considering how poorly Maybin was playing.

The Marlins are also considered to be one of the frontrunners to land Justin Upton, so that would solve the CF issue immediately if they do somehow get him.

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="JohnBean42"]

That's a steal.

yokofox33

Maybin was very ineffective during his time in Florida, and the team really needed bullpen help. Mujica and Webb are really good, so it was a great trade considering how poorly Maybin was playing.

The Marlins are also considered to be one of the frontrunners to land Justin Upton, so that would solve the CF issue immediately if they do somehow get him.

Ya I heard about Upton. That would solve it in a hurry. I was just wondering if those 2 moves were the start of another sort of fire sale for the Marlins.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 yokofox33

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

[QUOTE="JohnBean42"]

That's a steal.

JohnBean42

Ya I heard about Upton. That would solve it in a hurry. I was just wondering if those 2 moves were the start of another sort of fire sale for the Marlins.

Not a fire sale. The Marlins are trying to address their needs is all, which is the bullpen and pitching. They also have some money leftover to fill any needs they may have. Their defense is improved with the departure of Uggla and entrance of Infante, and they got a solid offensive catcher in Buck now. Although Uggla is an offensive powerhouse, you have to remember they'll have full seasons from Mike Stanton, Logan Morrison, Chris Coghlan, and hopefully a normal Hanley Ramirez season. Upton would instantly replace Uggla's offense.

Their needs are CF (if they don't get Upton), another solid SP, and a couple bench guys. They won't be a bad team at all.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 X360PS3AMD05
Solid offensive catcher? I heard Buck was horrible....
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yokofox33

Solid offensive catcher? I heard Buck was horrible....X360PS3AMD05

He had an OPS of .802 last year. Even if he OPS's like .770 next year, that's still an upgrade for the Marlins. That's "solid." I never said he was amazing.

His defense on the other hand...

JohnBean42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JohnBean42

[QUOTE="X360PS3AMD05"]Solid offensive catcher? I heard Buck was horrible....yokofox33

He had an OPS of .802 last year. Even if he OPS's like .770 next year, that's still an upgrade for the Marlins. That's "solid." I never said he was amazing.

His defense on the other hand...

Well, since I watched him all year with the Jays, he was solid offensively. It was his best year as a pro I believe. Hopefully he continues, I liked him, upset to see him go after 1 year. But time for Arencibiato get his shot.

His defense is pretty bad, but it got much better throughout the year and it was probably because of the young pitchers he was working with. He isn't great at catching guys stealing, but he is very quick from behind the plate. A .277 CS% isn't great, but it was 7th in the MLB.

He really helped out young pitchers all year though, he might be able to do the same with your guys. I've read that they're 'inconsistent'.