Madden 13 Demo - Thoughts/Impressions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

So over the last few days my cousins and I have played a good amount of the Madden 13 demo and so far, we are very impressed. The new Infinity Engine works very well and really adds a lot to the game. What do you guys think about the demo and the Infinity Engine so far?

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
Good madden game, horrible football game. Still waiting for them to surpass the realism of the 2k series.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
What do I think? I think the NFL should let the free market work. Bring 2K back.
Major_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Major_Snake
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

Please don't get into that 2k thing again. There are numerous threads about that already. And yes I did prefer 2k games over Madden but WHATEVER.

Anywho. I think the demo was hit and miss. The tackling and presentation is great. But the new engine had me laughing at some weird somersaults and weird motions. One time, a player did a front flip while picking up a fumble and immediately running for the defensive touchdown, all in one swift motion, but he was ruled down by contact. Just little things here and there.

I need to get used to running up the middle, because all the time I ran into or tripped over one of my linemen and was immediated dropped.

But it does feel good when the animations are going right.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
I like it so far. Looks to be the best yet. The presentation is good, the tackling and running/passing games are better. I am looking forward to what the merged careers look like. The kinect support should be better, meaning I shouldn't have to yell in order for it to hear me.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nickdastick

Please don't get into that 2k thing again. There are numerous threads about that already. And yes I did prefer 2k games over Madden but WHATEVER.

Anywho. I think the demo was hit and miss. The tackling and presentation is great. But the new engine had me laughing at some weird somersaults and weird motions. One time, a player did a front flip while picking up a fumble and immediately running for the defensive touchdown, all in one swift motion, but he was ruled down by contact. Just little things here and there.

I need to get used to running up the middle, because all the time I ran into or tripped over one of my linemen and was immediated dropped.

Major_Snake

I agree with you on all fronts (especially the one in bold, c'mon guys, it's getting old, we know, we know, 2k5 FTW, but right now, nothing doing with that so please try to stick to the topic at hand or just don't comment). I have also seen some interesting things happen, but for the most part, it's few and far between in comparison. If you remember, FIFA 12 had a new collision engine and it did well, but also had some VERY funny things happen. It still made the game much better overall though and FIFA 13 is already fixing most (if not all) of the issues it was having due to that. So hopefully the mess ups are minimal and then next year they can be ironed out even more if not completely.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts

[QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

nickdastick

I agree with you on all fronts (especially the one in bold, c'mon guys, it's getting old, we know, we know, 2k5 FTW, but right now, nothing doing with that so please try to stick to the topic at hand or just don't comment). I have also seen some interesting things happen, but for the most part, it's few and far between in comparison. If you remember, FIFA 12 had a new collision engine and it did well, but also had some VERY funny things happen. It still made the game much better overall though and FIFA 13 is already fixing most (if not all) of the issues it was having due to that. So hopefully the mess ups are minimal and then next year they can be ironed out even more if not completely.

Going to take alot more than physic to fix Madden. It's broken on a fundamental level. At least they are trying to fix it now though. Just feels like too little too late.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
I've played like 3 games and I've seen noticeable improvements in the engine and I mostly like it. As far as realism goes, there's still some to be desired but that's what sliders are for I guess. Jim Nantz & Phil Simms is also a great improvement. Last couple of years of commentating were simply awful. It doesn't seem like this commentary will blow your mind, but it's at least somewhat intelligent this year. I'll probably buy this one sooner or later esp since CJ is on the cover, but not at full price. Likely on Black Friday.
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
still feels like the same old thing to me, physics still nowhere near where they should be. gonna stick to NFL 2k5 with updated rosters
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#11 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
I wish instant replay were in the demo, I can't go back and see if the same problems are still there. Still, seems like a vast improvement so far.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nickdastick

I wish instant replay were in the demo, I can't go back and see if the same problems are still there. Still, seems like a vast improvement so far.monkeytoes61

Yeah, I don't know why they couldn't squeeze replay into that huge of a demo. I want it simply so I can look at the way the players collide and such. Especially since the instant replays they show are at the very very end of the play so you normally don't get to see anything worthwhile.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Everything feels heavier than usual. Especially if you're coming right off from playing a lot of NCAA.
ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 ohjtbehaaave
Member since 2002 • 2114 Posts

The running and passing is solid... but the games biggest flaw is the physics and tackling. 90% of the tackles in Madden look nothing like an actual football tackle. Guys just get hit and explode like a grenade went off or a small defender stops a bruising heavier RB in his tracks and knocks him backwards. UNrealisitc. You never see a defender's arms involved in making a tackle. How about if a Linebacker reaches out with his ARMS and grabs some jersey.... or wraps up the ball carrier at the waste and legs and takes them down like most tackles in an NFL game? Then there's players falling down and flopping around like rag dolls after plays. It just seems unpolished and unfinished to me. I know it's a broken record by now... but EA needs to scrap this engine and go with a physics engine like Euphoria in the Backbreaker game. And I don't even like BB.... but there's just no comparison between the tackling and physics engine in BB to Madden. It blows Madden away.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#15 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
It's why I still play Backbreaker. The game lacks any interesting features. Every player looks exactly the same, barren franchise mode. But, at least there aren't any suction cup blocks and tackles, no magically teleporting WRs/DBs making ridiculous interceptions, no LBs jumping ten feet in the air to pick off passes. Backbreaker is an unfinished product, but the groundwork was there for an amazing football game (Natural Motion has made it clear that they are unlikely to ever make Backbreaker 2).
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nickdastick

It's why I still play Backbreaker. The game lacks any interesting features. Every player looks exactly the same, barren franchise mode. But, at least there aren't any suction cup blocks and tackles, no magically teleporting WRs/DBs making ridiculous interceptions, no LBs jumping ten feet in the air to pick off passes. Backbreaker is an unfinished product, but the groundwork was there for an amazing football game (Natural Motion has made it clear that they are unlikely to ever make Backbreaker 2).monkeytoes61

I'm still amazed that nobody has bought the rights to the Euphoria engine for a football game. It would have been smart for EA to do since it was already built and they could have just tweaked it to fit what they wanted. And that sucks to hear Backbreaker 2 will most likely never be created.

Yanks2740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Yanks2740
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts

[QUOTE="Major_Snake"]

nickdastick

and to add with this, the demo to game transition may actually bring some immediate fixes
Yanks2740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Yanks2740
Member since 2009 • 231 Posts

The running and passing is solid... but the games biggest flaw is the physics and tackling. 90% of the tackles in Madden look nothing like an actual football tackle. Guys just get hit and explode like a grenade went off or a small defender stops a bruising heavier RB in his tracks and knocks him backwards. UNrealisitc. You never see a defender's arms involved in making a tackle. How about if a Linebacker reaches out with his ARMS and grabs some jersey.... or wraps up the ball carrier at the waste and legs and takes them down like most tackles in an NFL game? Then there's players falling down and flopping around like rag dolls after plays. It just seems unpolished and unfinished to me. I know it's a broken record by now... but EA needs to scrap this engine and go with a physics engine like Euphoria in the Backbreaker game. And I don't even like BB.... but there's just no comparison between the tackling and physics engine in BB to Madden. It blows Madden away.

ohjtbehaaave
maybe its because a big chunk of nfl players are actually not wrapping guys up. Overlooking the Harbaugh teams which are very well coached defensively, lots of guys are just essentially trying to "Hit stick" the other side
DoseofDopeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DoseofDopeness
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Moss will be MVP is he plays the same way he did in the demo
BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts
I played the full game through the ea sports ticket early release schedule. Its a nice game but nothing really jaw dropping from madden 12. The passing is nice but other than that nothing really stood out. I'm passing on madden 13 this year. If EA would do a roster/rating download for madden 12 I would consider that. If you have a bunch of friends that are madden junkies then yes this game is a must buy since the new game modes look like a blast with a group of people with the connected career mode.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
The next time I buy a football game is when there is a competitor going against Madden.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

I haven't played any Madden's in about 4 year. The game was fun, but I probably wouldn't buy it.

Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts
I couldn't really tell if they fixed my biggest gripe at Madden 12, and that is defensive backs with their backs turned to the quarter back would turn and run towards the ball without ever being indicated to the pass being thrown on All-Madden. On All-Madden, I would throw tons of interceptions when throwing to the open receiver because of this. I probably won't buy this year, maybe next year.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nickdastick

I couldn't really tell if they fixed my biggest gripe at Madden 12, and that is defensive backs with their backs turned to the quarter back would turn and run towards the ball without ever being indicated to the pass being thrown on All-Madden. On All-Madden, I would throw tons of interceptions when throwing to the open receiver because of this. I probably won't buy this year, maybe next year.Nozizaki

I can honestly say I haven't had this happen to me once in all the games I've played on the demo on All-Pro (which is what I play it on). That is one thing they made sure to work on especially since they changed it to where the receivers have to be looking to catch the ball as well.