Kyle Busch tops Jimmie Johnson for his 7th Win of the Season

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts

JOLIET, Ill. (AP)—Kyle Busch passed Jimmie Johnson after a restart on the next-to-last lap Saturday night to win his seventh NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race of the season.

Johnson had gone by Busch with 17 laps remaining in the LifeLock.com 400. But on the restart after the ninth caution, Busch went high on the track at Chicagoland Speedway and got by Johnson and held on for yet another victory.

Busch has 14 victories this season, spanning NASCAR's three series. He won a Nationwide Series race on the same track Friday night.

And the 23-year-old Busch showed again why he leads the Sprint Cup points race this season with some great driving at the end.

"This is a dream season, man," Busch said.

Busch's biggest problem came after the race when he got stuck in the mud as he tried to do a celebratory drive through the infield grass.

Johnson, the two-time defending Sprint Cup champion, took second and Kevin Harvick, who entered the race in 13th in points, was third.

"I thought I had such a good car, I thought I'd get away from him on the restrart. If I could do it over again I'd play more defense on the restart," Johnson said.

Busch, the pole sitter, led for the first 43 laps, fell off the pace and then got back in front on the 121st lap and held it for 80 more. He led for a total of 165 laps, Johnson was in front for 15.

Carl Edwards took the lead from Busch with 64 laps left. But Edwards' lead was brief. He was forced to pit with a left front tire and moments later Busch was back in front.

Greg Biffle, who led for 43 laps, finished fourth. Tony Stewart, still looking for his first win this season, finished fifth. Stewart announced earlier this week that he would leave Joe Gibbs racing at the end of the season to become part owner and driver with a team that will be called Stewart-Haas Racing next season.

Saturday's race was also the first Sprint Cup race at Chicagoland to start in the late evening and end up at night.

source

This guy is seriously a beast! :o

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
^^^^ Yes he is. Plus he drives the coolest car in the race track. M&M's. :D
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

This is like the third time this season Stewart was a contender for the win and lost it through slower pit stops.

Still...story of the night was Reutimann finishing 14th. Not his best finish of the year but better than expected.

Red_sox_fans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Red_sox_fans
Member since 2008 • 466 Posts
The guy a few posts above me i think racing is a sport do to the fact that your frequently controlling a multi-ton stock car with a wheel that pretty much fights (go try one of those nascar simulation wheels it's ridulous while going 200MPH while not crashing.
Red_sox_fans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Red_sox_fans
Kyle Busch and Joey Logano are the next Jeff Gordon/Tony Stewart (or Jimmy Johnson) of NASCAR. Kyle Busch at 23 is already the best driver this season Joey Lagano won a nationwide series race at 18 and just a few weeks
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

racing isnt a sportwazzap1

I agree, but that's off topic.

-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts

racing isnt a sportwazzap1

That makes almost as sense as Golf not being a sport, either.

Thank you for posting in a topic that was dealing with a person winning an event, which sounds like a sport to me. But yeah, to RSF, I'll agree with Busch being the next "Jeff Gordon", or even "future of NASCAR." 7 wins already? This is just sick.

Elitemajik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Elitemajik
Member since 2002 • 333 Posts
kyle busch is the best since mid 90's jeff gordon. he might even be a little better
nascar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 nascar1
Member since 2005 • 2763 Posts

yeah kyle is definately on a role, he's racing like he's on a mission...we'll see if that team can continue the success they're having when it really counts?

i hope all the teams in the chase step it up and make it interesting & exciting?

guitarman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 guitarman89
Member since 2007 • 1485 Posts
Wow this guy is amazing. Let's see if he can keep it up when it matters most - when the Chase finally starts.
Red_sox_fans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Red_sox_fans
For the first time sense Earndhardts death i'm starting to follow NASCAR (like the points standings and races) do to the fact that there are some great young drivers (Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, Kurt Busch, Joey Loagno, etc)
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Irony: The driver Hendrick let go (Kyle Busch) starts getting compared to the driver you wanted him to emulate (Jeff Gordon).

It's like they did all the hard work except improve the people around him. Coy Gibbs provided that support, and Busch is here to stay. Not that I still won't complain that Stewart got relegated to Team 2 (rightfully so when your top athlete won't commit with your team during the final year of his contract).

Red_sox_fans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Red_sox_fans

Irony: The driver Hendrick let go (Kyle Busch) starts getting compared to the driver you wanted him to emulate (Jeff Gordon).

It's like they did all the hard work except improve the people around him. Coy Gibbs provided that support, and Busch is here to stay. Not that I still won't complain that Stewart got relegated to Team 2 (rightfully so when your top athlete won't commit with your team during the final year of his contract).

SirSpudly
I don't think Busch got a whole lot better i think Gibbs has got better cars which is ironic considering Hendrick motorsport and Chevy domnated last year and know there no where near as dominate
Painmaster212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Painmaster212
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

Well hes doing good this season but hes nowhere near what some of the other drivers are out there IMO and wont be to most till he has a cup or 2 under his belt

It sort of reminds me of what casey kanhe did back in 05 or 06 when he won like 6 races that year but when the chase came around he just kind of fell out of it. In the end we will see if the same happens to kyle bushe which i think it wont but i dont think he will win the cup this year though maybe in the top 5 but wont win it but thats just IMO