Is UFC a sport?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JdmdrifteR1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JdmdrifteR1
Member since 2004 • 1923 Posts
I'm tired of how everytime a big event is coming up for the UFC the boxing world tries to discount the UFC and try to say it's not a sport, it's savage,and the UFC stars can't match up or are not as skilled as boxers.  I think that's bull, it is a much more entertaining sport and they have far more stars than boxing, there are more stars coming in the future, and the stars in the UFC are a lot more likeable than boxing.  I've been looking forward to Chuck "the Iceman" Liddell vs Quinton "Rampage" Jackson a lot more than any bouts in boxing and the Mayweather/De la Hoya fight was a disappointment.  There are far too many belts in boxing and the heavyweight class is forgettable at best. 
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

YES! Mixed Martial Arts is definitely a sport. I'm tired of how big boxing fights (like Mayweather/De La Hoya) get talked about on ESPN all the time, but MMA is completely ignored. But, I do like how ESPN has been talking about MMA(specifically UFC) in the past week -- probably only because Sports Illustrated introduced MMA to ESPN.

BTW, the "savage/unsafe" part that people talk about is a load of crap. That would've definitely been true a decade ago when there weren't many restrictions, but today the UFC is just as safe as boxing.

JdmdrifteR1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JdmdrifteR1

I think that it's safer than boxing because of the 1KO rule, pretty good officiating and the fighter's good conditioning.  No one has died in the cage.

mitwoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mitwoman
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Just a small point, but I prefer saying that MMA (mixed martial arts) is the sport, while the UFC is a company that provides MMA(but this can be interpreted in different ways). Kind of like saying that football is sport while the NFL is an organization that displays the sport (in that case you have a multiple indepent owners). But I agree with everything else you mentioned
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
Yes its definately a sport and has just as much if not more skill involved than boxing in the run up to the UFC event in the UK we had Barry McGuigan come out saying it was trashy, dirty and undiginfied and some other crap which Bisping talked about on the UFC website and we had Frank Warren saying something like WWE wrestling poses as big of a threat to boxing as the UFC. Its like they are putting up a front before the death sort of thing and you cant blame them boxing has been stale for years luckily for them nothing was there to challenge it but now a sport which is much more diverse and exciting has got to the masses and can now challenge boxing and thats scaring the boxing world.
JdmdrifteR1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JdmdrifteR1
Just a small point, but I prefer saying that MMA (mixed martial arts) is the sport, while the UFC is a company that provides MMA(but this can be interpreted in different ways). Kind of like saying that football is sport while the NFL is an organization that displays the sport (in that case you have a multiple indepent owners). But I agree with everything else you mentionedmitwoman
i agree i probably should have put that i just got too caught up in my rant to realize that sooner
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

I think that it's safer than boxing because of the 1KO rule, pretty good officiating and the fighter's good conditioning. No one has died in the cage.

JdmdrifteR1

I heard that only one guy (Russian I think) has passed away in the ring, but he had some sort of problem beforehand.  Then again, I've also heard that deaths in the boxing ring happen every year too lol.  As for the main topic, yea I think any sort of physical activity is a sport, ESPECIALLY fighting.  The whole debate/argument of boxing vs MMA is interesting too.  Joe Rogan and this boxing promoter had a really heated debate on Sportscenter today.  It was sad that that was the most entertaining segment I've seen on SC for quite a while, but that's another story lol. 

KoFoNiO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 KoFoNiO
Member since 2006 • 938 Posts
If golf and Nascar are considered sports then I dont see how MMA/UFC can't be considered a sport.
Avatar image for deactivated-58e533ed44b01
deactivated-58e533ed44b01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-58e533ed44b01
Member since 2003 • 1747 Posts

Im not a fan of the sport, I dont like boxing so I dont like this either, I think they are both savage in the sense that its more personal (unlike other sports that have equipment) and Im not into seeing blood and face-to-face contact.

But as you can tell called it a sport, because its a competition not based on judges.

tmac200913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tmac200913
Member since 2006 • 16647 Posts
yup its a sport...
noIinteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 noIinteam
Member since 2004 • 1644 Posts
if you count golf as a sport then ufc is definatly is one.
-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Dionysus-
Member since 2006 • 1276 Posts
UFC is a sport, golf and Nascar are not.
Nightelf_Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nightelf_Angel
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts
UFC is a sport! Tomorrow they will another Event. the UFC 71. here is the fight card - http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=eventDetail.fightCard&eid=547 Main match is Ice man VS. Rampage? Who's your bet?
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
UFC is a sport, golf and Nascar are not.-Dionysus-
Golf is a sport, it takes talent and ability to do what those guys do on the PGA. Racing is too for the same reasons. Poker, on the other hand, is not.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts

Not a sport---MMA? Mixed martial arts? There's no "martial arts" involved in some/most of the fights.  It's just a basic brawl--two guys get close enough to each other and throw punches at each other until the other falls and he gets on top of him and beats his face in--yea, martial arts--NOT.

Jackson will beat liddell---liddell looks like he can't get his abs going---looks like a gut ab. :)

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

YES! Mixed Martial Arts is definitely a sport. I'm tired of how big boxing fights (like Mayweather/De La Hoya) get talked about on ESPN all the time, but MMA is completely ignored. But, I do like how ESPN has been talking about MMA(specifically UFC) in the past week -- probably only because Sports Illustrated introduced MMA to ESPN.

BTW, the "savage/unsafe" part that people talk about is a load of crap. That would've definitely been true a decade ago when there weren't many restrictions, but today the UFC is just as safe as boxing.

JML897

It's even safer than boxing, since they never had a death in the octagon.

Nene33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nene33
Member since 2007 • 7870 Posts

[QUOTE="-Dionysus-"]UFC is a sport, golf and Nascar are not.pundog
Golf is a sport, it takes talent and ability to do what those guys do on the PGA. Racing is too for the same reasons. Poker, on the other hand, is not.

Golf is a skill game, not a sport, Nascar is a sport(though it's a little to much about the entertainment), and poker is a skill game, so not a sport.

Sport requiers athleticism, all games that don't requier athleticism aren't sports.

-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Dionysus-
Member since 2006 • 1276 Posts

[QUOTE="-Dionysus-"]UFC is a sport, golf and Nascar are not.pundog
Golf is a sport, it takes talent and ability to do what those guys do on the PGA. Racing is too for the same reasons. Poker, on the other hand, is not.

Golf is a skill game, not a sport. I don't even consider Nascar either to be honest, I just consider it a form of entertainment.  

Jackal2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jackal2222
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts
UFC is not a sport its entertianment as it doesnt take skill to do. if UFC is a sport so is bar room brawling.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Sure it is a sport.  At the same time I've no more interest in UFC than I do boxing (little to none).
yellbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yellbell
Member since 2006 • 694 Posts
Yeah it is but not that fun to watch.
Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts
UFC is not a sport its entertianment as it doesnt take skill to do. if UFC is a sport so is bar room brawling.Jackal2222
doesn't take skill? come on.. do you know how hard those guys have to train and practice just to not get killed? and a bar fight could be a sport if you look at it that way i guess. You could be playing basketball in your backyard and it's still a sport.
kdt55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 kdt55
Member since 2004 • 2525 Posts
Anything can be a sport nowadays so yes its a sport. There was actually a topic on ESPN's "Around the Horn" that raised the question "Is poker a sport". Thats it, I'm declaring that scratching my a$s is a sport and I'm the Michael Jordan of that sport. My technique is like no other.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts

[QUOTE="pundog"][QUOTE="-Dionysus-"]UFC is a sport, golf and Nascar are not.Nene33

Golf is a skill game, not a sport, Nascar is a sport(though it's a little to much about the entertainment), and poker is a skill game, so not a sport.

Sport requiers athleticism, all games that don't requier athleticism aren't sports.

I used to think that way about golf until one day I was watching the Score (a Canadian all sports network) and they showed Vijay Singh's workout routine, and it was insane, and they talked about what Tiger does, which was even more impressive. The amount of work those pros do every day is rediculous.
LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts
If Poker is a freakin' sport than MMA is a sport. Fox Sports and ESPN give tons of coverage to freakin' Poker!!!!
LoserMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LoserMike
Member since 2003 • 4915 Posts

UFC is not a sport its entertianment as it doesnt take skill to do. if UFC is a sport so is bar room brawling.Jackal2222

Just like every sport MMA requires tons of training. Many fighters train 5 days a week, 8 hours day, just like work.

Many UFC fighters were amateur wrestlers when they were in High School and College. The two outlets for amatuer wrestlers are either Professional Wrestling or Mixed-Martial Arts. MMA requires the fighters to learn kickboxing, boxing, Muay Thai, Judo, Greco-Roman Wrestling, Freesytle Wrestling, Sambo, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. If you ever took the time to watch a UFC event you'll usually all the different disciplines. 

It's not a bar room brawl. Many of the fighters are skilled in their level of expertise. There are actually Olympic Medalists fighting in MMA. Usually on every UFC PPV there is one boring match that is very technical. If you're a fan of grappling, which the majority of new fans aren't, you'll see beauty in the sport like how people see beauty in the San Antonio  Spurs, it's boring but helps them win.

The majority of UFC fighters are college graduates, you can't say that about the majority of sports. Chuck Liddell who just got knocked out has a BA in Accounting, and averaged a 3.5 GPA.

JthRedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JthRedDragon
Member since 2003 • 1814 Posts

For those people saying its nothing more than a bar room brawl and takes no skill.  You couldn't possibly be more wrong.  Either you don't know anything about mma or you don't know anything about what "skill" actually is, but either way those men, AND woman that compete especially at the pro level are finely tuned athletes. 

And yes, for the record, some fights have basically ended up a striking duel, but not all of them, not even close.  And even those fights I have no doubt could've ended with a submission if either guy made even a tiny mistake.  Sorry, I respect everyone's opinion, but there's no possible way to see these guys train and simply dismiss them as barbarians with no skill. 

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

I would pay a thousand dollars to see you step into the octagon with matt hughes and then keep saying there's no skill involved.

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
if boxing is a sport then ufc is a sport. its a form of fighting. but ufc is all kinds of fighting in one match. boxing is just the fighting of fists. ufc u can have a ground game vs a kick boxer or whatever. ufc is up and coming. it brought in more money on ppvs in 06 then wwe. and boxing was 3rd out of the 3 in ppv money. boxing is a dieing breed no matter what people think. ufc is here to stay and 1-3 more years it will be mainstream and be getting special attention on bigger networks then spike tv.