is matt ryan the best rookie qb ever? good read, even for non ryan fans!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bytgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bytgames
Member since 2008 • 1030 Posts
flRyan playing like no rookie before him
By Mark Bradley | Sunday, November 23, 2008, 09:48 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

It was a moment in a game that was slipping away, and if this game slips away then maybe this improbably sunny season does, too. Third-and-10 at the Atlanta 45-yard line, Carolina having closed within 17-13, and here the Falcons looked at their rookie quarterback and said, "Make a play."

The play as designed fizzled on the launch site. The pocket collapsed and the rookie was forced to scramble to his left, away from his first read, and now he had a choice: He could keep running and come up short of the vital first down, or ...

Running left, he threw to his right. Michael Jenkins caught the ball and skittered for 19 precious yards, and five snaps later the Falcons had an 11-point lead. And right about here the realization struck:

In Matt Ryan, we are watching the greatest rookie quarterback ever.

Tom Brady threw three passes his rookie season; Brett Favre threw four. Bart Starr and Joe Montana each started one game as rookies. Troy Aikman had to be benched midway through, having gone 0-11 as a starter. Peyton Manning threw 28 interceptions his first season. John Elway completed 47.5 percent of his rookie passes, Terry Bradshaw 38.1 percent.

Joe Namath was 3-5-1 as a lavishly salaried - he was making $400,000 - rookie. Fran Tarkenton was 2-8 as a first-year starter; Johnny Unitas was 4-3, Bob Griese 3-7. Ben Roethlisberger was 13-0 as a rookie quarterback on a loaded Pittsburgh team but didn't start until Week 3. Sammy Baugh made All-Pro as a rookie but threw six more interceptions than touchdown passes. Bob Waterfield was league MVP as a rookie but started only four games. (Doubtless he got bonus points for being married to Jane Russell.)

Dan Marino is considered the gold standard of rookie quarterbacks, but his first start only came in Week 6, and he joined a team that had reached the Super Bowl the previous season. And now we consider Matt Ryan, who has started from Day 1 for a dilapidated team the Sporting News pegged to finish 1-15, who stands now as the chief reason the refurbished Falcons are 7-4.

He completed 17-of-27 passes for 259 yards against Carolina Sunday. He completed nine of his first 11 passes in staking the Falcons to a 17-0 lead. Said Roddy White, who ran under a 30-yard rainbow off a Ryan pump-and-go on the second snap Sunday: "Sometimes you luck up and get the guy. We got the guy."

Eleven games in, the Falcons have stopped waiting for Ryan to have a Rookie Moment. "He hasn't given me a reason to [expect one]," said Mike Mularkey, the offensive coordinator. And then, asked if Ryan has already absorbed the entire playbook and thereby given the Falcons license to call anything at any time, Mularkey said, "Yes."

We saw it again Sunday, same as we've seen it since August. We saw it in the fourth quarter, the Panthers having drawn within a field goal again, the Falcons facing third-and-11 at their 25 with eight minutes left. We saw Ryan drop back and step forward into a big rush and loft the ball down the right side for Douglas to snatch, and the 69-yard gain positioned the Falcons to bang home the clincher.

"I threw it on time, actually a little early," Ryan said. "He had man coverage, and I was hoping he'd roll his hips back toward me. But he was able to put his foot in the ground and stop [and make the catch]. It was a great play by Harry Douglas, not me."

That's typical Ryan. Everybody else makes the plays. He just carries out his assignments. But we on the periphery, having watched all along, know better. We know this rookie quarterback has made a difference in a way no other rookie quarterback - not Marino, not Roethlisberger, not anybody - ever has.
cvasquez311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 cvasquez311
Member since 2004 • 962 Posts

dude is a beast, seems like he is going to be a very good consitent QB, franchise even.  Just what ATL is looking for after everything that has happened to their franchise in past couple of years.

He's making this team a contender, and he's only going to get better too.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Highest paying contract in the future?
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
If he gets this team to the playoffs, then yes I will say that he is the greatest rookie QB of all time. The Falcons rely heavliy on that offense and he has done a great job of taking and learning that offense quickly. Plus he is in a very strong division which also is tough.
kcohen82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kcohen82
Member since 2005 • 130 Posts
he is certainly a very impressive rookie. Not only is he performing at a high level he is also making a team that was in the bottom 5 of the league last year contend for a playoff birth. Happy for the city of atlanta after the whole vick thing for them to have a new franchise qb.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts
He's made good decisions, the GM made good decisions (first getting Matt Ryan, then getting Michael Turner) and having some trade bait wit Deangelo Hall. He's not one to throw a lot of TD's but one that makes a lot of good decisions and few bad decisions. Matt wasn't on a holdout like a lot of first rounders do he got straight into camp and so far it's all paid off.
DarkElf2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 DarkElf2112
Member since 2008 • 892 Posts
Gotta put Roethlisberger into the all-time rookie conversation. I think he went 13-0 in the regular season his rookie year. Ryan's a stud no doubt but best rookie year ever? Let the year pan out first and end in a playoff berth before putting him up there with Marino.
SLYMAGIC123123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SLYMAGIC123123
Member since 2007 • 573 Posts
Im a huge Ravens fan and I support Joe Flacco 100% but Matt Ryan is the better rookie qb this year and even though I hate to admit i'll be very surprised if he does not get rookie of the year if he continues to play like he's played all year.
GiantChamps10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GiantChamps10
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
dan marino was the best rookie qb, and ben roethlisberger, but he looks like he is going to be very good
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts
best rookie qb ever is still Ben Roethlisberger
Avatar image for TakeDaLesunzFwd
TakeDaLesunzFwd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#11 TakeDaLesunzFwd
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Not the best ever but the best right now. He is a Philly area native. W00t!
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#12 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
don't know if he is the best, but hte guy is a freak adn the future of this sport.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts
If he plays as consistently as he has been playing then he should probably be considered the best Rookie QB ever.
afflictatrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 afflictatrophy
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts
well peyton manning took a 3 -13 team to a 13-3 team his rookie year, so he gets my vote :P
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
well peyton manning took a 3 -13 team to a 13-3 team his rookie year, so he gets my vote :Pafflictatrophy
???? Peyton's rookie year he went 3-13.
bytgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bytgames
Member since 2008 • 1030 Posts

[QUOTE="afflictatrophy"]well peyton manning took a 3 -13 team to a 13-3 team his rookie year, so he gets my vote :Pjfcundiff
???? Peyton's rookie year he went 3-13.

not only that but he threw 26 interceptions

freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts
Dan Marino. End of thread. ;)
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts

I admit that he is one of the best rookies QBs of the decade, but first year doesn't mean much. Ben Roethlisburger led the Steelers to a 15-1 Super Bowl bid in 2005 (I might have gotten the facts slightly wrong) (he's still great; the Steelers could go to the Super Bowl again, he's just not a prodigy); Carson Palmer looked unstoppable (look at him now). Matt Ryan is supported by a stellar defense, as well as two of the best running backs in the NFL, Michael Turner and Warrick Dunn.

Also, Troy Aikman's Cowboys started out something like 2-14. Look at what he became.

EmptyClip15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EmptyClip15

Dan Marino. End of thread. ;)freesafety13

Just going by stats, Ryan had a better rookie year then Marino.. Ryan deff has alot of potential, just hope he dont get the cover of madden or some other stupid career move..

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts

I admit that he is one of the best rookies QBs of the decade, but first year doesn't mean much. Ben Roethlisburger led the Steelers to a 15-1 Super Bowl bid in 2005 (I might have gotten the facts slightly wrong) (he's still great; the Steelers could go to the Super Bowl again, he's just not a prodigy); Carson Palmer looked unstoppable (look at him now). Matt Ryan is supported by a stellar defense, as well as two of the best running backs in the NFL, Michael Turner and Warrick Dunn.

Also, Troy Aikman's Cowboys started out something like 2-14. Look at what he became.

thequietguy
Not to Mention he has "Rowdy" Roddy White. That dude is a freakin BEAST.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I've always liked Matt Ryan since he was the starting QB at Boston College, so I am glad to hear and see that he is doing so well. I'm not sure how he ranks among rookie QB's, but he must be pretty high, considering how bad the team was last year and how it has totally turned around (with Michael Turner's help too, of course).
Mac_Ssx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mac_Ssx
I think he is a great qb coz I thought that falcons were not going to be close to playoffs this year but he proved me wrong.Now if the bengals could some how get him or pick up someone like him would make me happy for a long time.:D
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts
Im a huge Ravens fan and I support Joe Flacco 100% but Matt Ryan is the better rookie qb this year and even though I hate to admit i'll be very surprised if he does not get rookie of the year if he continues to play like he's played all year.SLYMAGIC123123
Huge Ravens fan also so i think exaclty what you think haha if anything i think the Matt Ryan and Flacco are on the same level just with different skills Flacco = bomb of an arm, he can scramble when needed and hes calm Matt Ryan= Pretty Clutch, good accuracy, good decision making
squitsquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 squitsquat
Member since 2005 • 1990 Posts
he has done a pretty good job with the offense but turner is more important to the falcons than ryan is.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts
Marino and Big Ben were better IMO. But I am happy it worked out for them because Vick screwed them over bad.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts
1) Dan Marino 2) Peyton Manning 3) Matt Ryan 4) Big Ben I'm looking at how they played, not how good their teams were. Big Ben was very good, but he didn't have to do much in that offense.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts

[QUOTE="freesafety13"]Dan Marino. End of thread. ;)EmptyClip15

Just going by stats, Ryan had a better rookie year then Marino.. Ryan deff has alot of potential, just hope he dont get the cover of madden or some other stupid career move..

Passing in the NFL has changed too much to compare stats. Marino was a pro bowler with those stats. Ryan's numbers are nowhere near pro bowl level by today's standards.
Avatar image for StealthySniper1
StealthySniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StealthySniper1
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

Gotta put Roethlisberger into the all-time rookie conversation. I think he went 13-0 in the regular season his rookie year. Ryan's a stud no doubt but best rookie year ever? Let the year pan out first and end in a playoff berth before putting him up there with Marino.DarkElf2112

No, not even close. Big Ben is good but he's overrated. The man was born on a good team with Parker,The Bus, Staley, Miller, good line, Ward, Burress

Defense : Porter, Smith, Farrior, Townsend and etc... Heck, they were 1st in points allowed. That defense was AMAZING. Ben is good but no Matt Ryan.

Matt Ryan had WR's that vick couldn't use. Matt Ryan didn't have a Parker, Bus or Staley or Burress or Ward and Heath Miller on his offense. Matt Ryan didn't have the offensive line Big Ben had, Matt Ryan had none of this. Matt Ryan came to a team that was the 3rd worse in the league, Big Ben came to a built team that somewhat struggled in 03 but my god in 02 and 01 (13-3 and championship game) they were a built team already.

I say Ryan is one of the best because the man had no steeler talent around him. The falcons were in pre mock drafts to finish worst in the top 5 for 09 drafts. Ryan manages games well, the falcons aren't even that good but they know how to play together as a team. Ryan took a crap Boston College and did something with them with nobody around him that was talented. Matt Ryan reminds me of Peyton Manning, he picked his number 1 target like Manning did with Harrison. Ryan was blessed to him a stud like Turner who was really a nobody. The man is now going to run 1,500 yards and has 15 rushing touchdowns.

I'm not bashing you, but you need to open your eyes how amazing the steelers were. When you go 15-1 and have the best defense, I mean look man, look at the big picture. I look at someone going to a crap team like Manning and Ryan and making something out of nothing. I have to say, the Falcons have an amazing coaching staff because.

White & Jenkins weren't doig anything, now they'r with Ryan

Turner was a nobody, he was onyl known as a back up and turned out to be one of the best in the league.

The Falcons stilld on't have that great of a defense, tehy're good but nothing like the 2004 Steelers defense.

OP, for a rookie. I have to say, for a rookie Matt Ryan with not the best talent has to be one of the best rookies at QB to ever play the game and do what he was brought in to do.

StealthySniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 StealthySniper1
DarkElf2112 don't get offended man, but I look at franchise rookies as someone being drafted to lead a team to greatness. In 01 and 02 the steelers were already great. The Falcons have been struggling for a while now.
Avatar image for Mystical_Crayon
Mystical_Crayon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mystical_Crayon
Member since 2005 • 334 Posts
I pretty much agree with everything that stealthsniper said.
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sunnystarz
if matt ryan and the falcons win the super bowl then maybe... ( they do have 1 in 12 chance ) but this award of best rookie qb ever is still big ben rothburger or whatever his name is
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sunnystarz
DarkElf2112 don't get offended man, but I look at franchise rookies as someone being drafted to lead a team to greatness. In 01 and 02 the steelers were already great. The Falcons have been struggling for a while now. StealthySniper1
The Steelers were 6-10 the year before Ben got there, and they went 15-1 in regular season....
StealthySniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StealthySniper1

[QUOTE="StealthySniper1"]DarkElf2112 don't get offended man, but I look at franchise rookies as someone being drafted to lead a team to greatness. In 01 and 02 the steelers were already great. The Falcons have been struggling for a while now. sunnystarz
The Steelers were 6-10 the year before Ben got there, and they went 15-1 in regular season....

OMG, are you freaking kidding?

2001 :

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2001.htm

13-3 and went to the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME and was the 3rd best defense and 7th best offense

2002 :

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/2002.htm

10-5-1 and went to the divisional playoff game and almost won...

2003 :

6-10 but people were hurt, also Maddox in 2003 did the same what Big Ben did in 2004. Big Ben had only 17 tds and 3000 yards in 2004 while Maddox had 18 passing touchdowns and 3,000 yards passing in 2004.

2004 that was the year that defense won them the superbowl.

Why do you people always give the QB credit? I still think Big Ben is a tad bit overrated,

2005 & 2007 and now 2008

2006 1st in points allowed

2007 2nd in points allowed (ben was very good this year)

2008 1st in points allowed

Ben Roe was drafted to a team that was a disappointment in 2003, doesn't mean that sucked in 2003. I guess the Jacksonville Jaguars suck and the Chargers suck because of their bad seasons this year. Jaguars went 12-4 in 2005 and fell apart in the last 3 games with leftwhich hurt off and on in 2006 (since a .500 record in 06. The Jaguars went 8-8 in 2006, they finally hired a new OC, brought new people in and had the new rooks, and veterans fill in spots in 2007. In 2007 w/starters they went 11-4 for meaningful games, in 2007 they beat the steelers 2x in their own home (pitts) and won both times in the snow, including a playoff win in their own home.

But, I guess the Jaguars suck in all... Doesn't take in affect they haven't had a losing season since 03, doesn't take account they have a talent run game and was NAILED by injuries on defense and mainly to that offensively line losing 4 starters out of 5 starters.. but I guess they weren't good because of a record. You can't say a team is bad because of 1 season mainly I'm talking about ALL TEAMS.. The Jaguars should bounce back, the Chargers should and many other teams that had key injuries will too. The steelers in 2004 was a prime example. In 2003 they had injury problems, you can't deny in 2001 going 13-3 and 2002 going back and winning in the playoffs were a bad football team. Look...

2001 13-3 (AFC Championship)

2002 10-5-1

2003 6-10

2004 15-1 (AFC Championship)

2005 11-5 (AFC championship & Superbowl Champions) Ben was meh that year just like 2004)

2006 8-8 the defense was meh in 2006

2007 10-6 with 1st defense and a playoff win just like the other seasons

2008 10-4 and a playoff spot.

That's how you determine a good football team. They mostly have good seasons and bite a few bad ones. In this case, they were already a BUILT FOOTBALL TEAM.

Facts never lie, Ben had a better team then Matt Ryan.

Matt Ryan was drafted to a team that was :

05 8-8

06 7-9 (showing you they got worse)

07 4-12

The Falcons never were 13-3 or 10-5-1 and had playoff wins in that 3 year gap. The Falcons got worse and worse. This season they were considered the heavy favorite of being crap with the Lions and Raiders.

You know what's funny? Russell was drafted in the 1st round. Has Walker as his WR and had Porter his WR, had Rhodes, Fargas and Mcfadden and a decent line and a decent TE. He has a better defense then the ATL Falcons and since Russell has been drafted :

07 4-12

08 3-11

Prior they were 2-14, 5-11 and 2-14...

That's a bad football team, that's how you determine a bad football team.

Look at the indy colts,

97 3-13

98 3-13

then Manning gets 1 year under his belt (I consider him one of the best ever to do this)

99 13-3...

That's how you determine a GOOD franchise QB.

UnamedThing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UnamedThing
Member since 2008 • 1761 Posts
Highest paying contract in the future?X360PS3AMD05
Possibly, but I would rather have Flaco.
Sk8nNotH8n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sk8nNotH8n
Member since 2006 • 1519 Posts

Matt Ryan is supported by a stellar defense, as well as two of the best running backs in the NFL, Michael Turner and Warrick Dunn.

thequietguy
Too bad Warrick Dunn plays for Tampa Bay and has played for them all year.
yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
Matt Ryan is a great quarterback rookie, but you're going to have to look to Matt Forte of the Bears as rival for that Rookie of the Year title. Without Forte, the Bears would never be where they are right now. Almost 1200 yards is a great start to your career. But it's going to be close and Matt Ryan has certainly earned the win if he gets it.
thequietguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 thequietguy
Member since 2008 • 2160 Posts

Lol, how long did the stats take you, StealthySniper1? Sooo long, who can argue with that?

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
He's a fantastic QB with what he's given.
Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#40 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
Matt Ryan is better than some starting QBs today!
StealthySniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StealthySniper1

Lol, how long did the stats take you, StealthySniper1? Sooo long, who can argue with that?

thequietguy

It's mainly facts, it's the fact Big Ben was given a team that was already good since 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007 and now 2008. Look at that pattern, you take 03 and that's their worst season. In 01,04,05 they went to 3 AFC championship games and won a superbowl. In those 8 seasons, they went .500 or better and 6 of them 6 playoff games (with wins) and 3 AFC championship. It bugs me when people take about things they don't know about. That's all, I had to spell it out for him.

People need to understand when you're drafted to a good team and did just as much as the guy in 03, it wasn't you that took the team to a 15-1 season. No doubt Ben is a very good QB, I just feel people give him too much credit for their wins. I feel that defense/run game won their games.

Then again, ignorant people thought highly of Garrard, I told people it was our defense and run game in 2007 and nobody listened. Our 2nd string did better then Garrard imo and was cut because Garrard only threw 3 ints that year, but nobody understood Garrard was on the only team that ran more then they passed for the NFL. It seems like everyone is getting the QB too much Credit and it somewhat bugs me a bit, the guy stats the steelers were 6-10, but it doesn't make them bad. Chargers and Jaguars are terrible in 08, do you think they'll be bad in 09? I don't, I think they'll bounce back from their injuries, this is the best example I can give you. Packers,Cowboys and etc.

You have to look more into the question, what Ryan is doing is unheard of, the man doesn't have the number 1 defense which Big Ben had in 04. Ryan doesn't have the better offense in the league, or a true run duo Big Ben had (actually had had a trio duo). Ryan didn't have a god like Offensive line (his line sucks still). They're going to draft line in 09 probably if they can get a good enough OG or C, this man has done something with far less. Now, his numbers with tds won't be AMAZING, but Ryan puts his teams into good positions. Ryan manages the game well, but NOW people are forgetting Michael Turner is letting this job BE so EASY for Ryan. Ryan has a Back that is scoring 15tds and is running like 1300-1500 yards ( I can't remember the exact total).

Long story short, nobody looks into it that much. Big Ben was fair his rookie season, he was good but Eli Manning and Rivers are far better Qb's that had to build their team up from nothing. Where as Ben R. didn't and that's a fact. That's all I'm saying.

P.S. I know alot about this league, I told people Garrard was overrated and I was laughed at for it. Look at Garrard now, he's terrible. He went from 18-3 to 14-13 ints and ruins the games. We might not have that run team since 98-07, but my god he finally proved he's crap. You put, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Rivers in that offense and we would be 12-3 right now, we had many games won but Garrard ruined them and threw stupid ints, couldn't complete passes. It was proof Garrard could only throw short screens and only do good if the run game was there. I was right, the man was a overrated, overpaid QB. His Offensive line is crap for run games (we're one of the best) but we're hurt with G,C,G,OT out, BUT they signed good passing blockers, Garrard has time and still can't do good. It's all about depth, you have to look indepth to understand this.

StealthySniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 StealthySniper1
Matt Ryan is better than some starting QBs today!Warriorboy1990
I agree with this, it's strange to watch him play. He might not be a Peyton Manning and have 26 tds and 3,700 yards passing his rookie season. But, Manning sucked with his INTS with 28 that year. But, you look at 99, Mannings 2nd year and he had 26 tds, 4,000 something yards and not as many tds and took his team 13-3 with only a running back change (basically same roster). Matt Ryan is amazing, he's going to be something special.