Help settle a bet, er, .......debate....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

backinthekrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 backinthekrak
Member since 2005 • 756 Posts

Ok, so a friend of mine and I are arguing over something here & I can't find an answer on the net. The big question is......

Of the 4 major North American sports - NFL, NBA, MLB & NHL - what two franchises have played each other the most times? We are counting regular season, playoffs, everything. I figure it has to be either baseball or hockey teams since the leagues are older and they have longer seasons. If it's hockey, it has to be 2 of the original six teams obviously like Toronto-Montreal or Bruins - Red Wings. If it's baseball, it has to be 2 old teams from the same league like Yankees-Red Sox or Cubs-Cardinals. Whaddya think?

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
That's an interesting question. I think it has to be in MLB. Who I don't know.
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
That's an interesting question. I think it has to be in MLB. Who I don't know.duxup
I would have to think baseball as well, but hockey isn't out of the question. Hockey has been around since the late 1800's.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

[QUOTE="duxup"]That's an interesting question. I think it has to be in MLB. Who I don't know.cell_dweller
I would have to think baseball as well, but hockey isn't out of the question. Hockey has been around since the late 1800's.

Yeah Hockey is a possibility, I'm thinking Baseball would have played more games on average and so whatever teams would be involved would have had more chances to play each other. I'm not sure though, schedules have of course changed over the years and if there are a ton of teams that could lower the chances of the same teams meeting.

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
I'm not sure how baseball was structured, just before 61 they played 154 games a year. I assume they played teams in their division quite a bit though. I'm thinking that it has to be baseball, but it is a good question. It's got me interested now...
Zero-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Zero-Pirate
Member since 2003 • 2156 Posts
I would think it would be baseball. They play about double the games during the regular season compared to the NHL. So my guess would be Yankees and Red Sox.
phil315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 phil315
Member since 2007 • 132 Posts

Interesting question. Using this page: http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/head2head.shtml I found this:
SF/NY Giants v. LA/Bn Dodgers 2122
STL Cardinals v. Pit Pirates 2111
Chi Cubs v. STL Cardinals 2106
Chi Cubs v. Pit Pirates 2103
Bal Orioles v. NY Yankees 2040
Bos Red Sox v. Bal Orioles 2029
Bos Red Sox v. NY Yankees 2028

This was just some quick looking around, but I'd say those are probably the most. I'm not sure if these numbers include playoffs, but since these are mostly divisional rivalries, the number of playoff games is less significant until the wild card was invented in 94.

twopic58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 twopic58
Member since 2007 • 3710 Posts
Probably baseball.
duh555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 duh555
Member since 2006 • 864 Posts
has to be baseball, 162 games vs 82 and just the fact that baseball is an older sport than hockey