Have American fans taken heed of the Raptors' turnaround?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 ZebethOrZebes
Member since 2004 • 5997 Posts
I'm a big Toronto sports fan, and on the local broadcasts, there is a lot of hype surrounding the Raptors. I must admit, I'm surprised that they have turned their franchise around so quickly (thank former Suns' GM Brian Colangelo for that); but I'm still not sure if they're the real deal. For instance, against Cleveland on wednesday, the Raps could have won, but fell apart in the dying moments. The Raptors are only 5 games behind Detroit for the conference lead, and are one of the top 4 seeds in the East.

But do American NBA fans think the Raptors are for real, or are you all still saying to yourselves "Barnagni who?"
nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts
I think they will make the playoffs, but won't go very far.
360wishlist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 360wishlist
Member since 2006 • 331 Posts
Make playoffs, but not better than Washington, Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland.
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 BobSacamento
Member since 2003 • 4340 Posts

i think they can make second round

and btw its Brian Colangelo, Jerry is his father

the raps played against the suns and mavericks this season, were winning for most of the game, and lost on both occasions by a half second buzzer beater

they are the real deal, and this is a team colangelo put together from scraps, next  year - CHAMPS

ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ZebethOrZebes

i think they can make second round

and btw its Brian Colangelo, Jerry is his father

the raps played against the suns and mavericks this season, were winning for most of the game, and lost on both occasions by a half second buzzer beater

they are the real deal, and this is a team colangelo put together from scraps, next  year - CHAMPS

BobSacamento
Heh, my bad. I always get their first names mixed up.
XxMa5icarxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 XxMa5icarxX
Member since 2004 • 6621 Posts
:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first place
Eman5805

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Eman5805
Member since 2004 • 4494 Posts
Impressive that's for sure. But, another team people need to keep their eye on is the Hornets. Tyson Chandler has been amazing recently. several straight double doubles. more than 10 straight games with 12 rebounds or more. The guy grabs offensive rebounds like nobodies business and can block shots like crazy too. They may not go far(I hope they do though) but they've got something brewin' in da NOLA. 8)
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ZebethOrZebes
:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeXxMa5icarxX
The Raptors pulled ahead of the Nets before they had their injury problems. P.S.: Raptors are 5 games ahead of the Nets and they're not even in a playoff spot right now.
XxMa5icarxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XxMa5icarxX
[QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeZebethOrZebes
The Raptors pulled ahead of the Nets before they had their injury problems. P.S.: Raptors are 5 games ahead of the Nets and they're not even in a playoff spot right now.

The Nets were ahead of the Raptors when befor nenad got his season ending injury.:|
JRoss17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 JRoss17
Member since 2005 • 5915 Posts
[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeXxMa5icarxX

The Nets were ahead of the Raptors when befor nenad got his season ending injury.:|

The nets are garbage.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts
They are a solid team this year (in the East) which mainly shows promise for next year. They will make the playoffs but will falter quickly there since they are young. Next year could be a big year for them though.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
They are in the same class as Washington and Cleveland in my opinion, not quite up there with Chicago, Detroit and a healthy Miami though... yet.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts
[QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeJRoss17

The nets are garbage.

I second that. The Nets are garbage! A team that is trying to get rid of Kidd and Carter should be taken out of the league! They should just get rid of RJ and pick up some good size!
PuddleMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PuddleMonkey
Member since 2006 • 412 Posts
They'll fall short just like most Canadian teams :)
romocop33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 romocop33
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
the raptors look like the real deal. the tj ford trade was brilliant and bosh is a beast. they could make it to the east finals, maybe even the nba finals.
kdt55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 kdt55
Member since 2004 • 2525 Posts
Every now and then...a team comes out of no where and surprises in the playoffs big time. I remember when the 8th seed Knicks went to the Finals against the Spurs (strike season). The Raptors are real nice,and the have just as much a chance as everyone else in the east except Detroit. I mean, the East is really bad..thats why anything can happen.
Jnf-Gangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jnf-Gangsta
Member since 2004 • 1547 Posts
[QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeJRoss17

The nets are garbage.

I agree. Raptors are good, not great, and that's how they'll stay: 4th seed
Xythos09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Xythos09
Member since 2005 • 2458 Posts
I had my doubts about the Raptors at the beginning of the season, but I also had doubts about my team, the Bulls, at the beginning as well. Toronto has been doing great lately. They're a pretty good team. I like them, especially as a rival team since a lot of my family members live in Ontario and are big basketball fans as well. I think they'll be seeded 3rd because they'll most likely come out on top in their division.
FurRabbit8877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FurRabbit8877
Member since 2004 • 646 Posts
They will make the playoff and get put out in the first round.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZebethOrZebes
the raptors look like the real deal. the tj ford trade was brilliant and bosh is a beast. they could make it to the east finals, maybe even the nba finals.romocop33
That's quite the stretch. Detroit and to a lesser extent Chicago has playoff experience, and that goes a long way. I think the Raptors are building something special in Toronto; but I don't think it'll pay off this year.
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts
They are in the same class as Washington and Cleveland in my opinion, not quite up there with Chicago, Detroit and a healthy Miami though... yet.UssjTrunks

:shock:
Miami will probably not even make the playoffs, so I don't understand why you're putting them with Detroit or Chicago. Both are much better teams on the offensive and defensive side of the ball.
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BobSacamento
Member since 2003 • 4340 Posts
[QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeXxMa5icarxX

hes right, the raptors were beating the nets before the injuries

nobodies gonna give them credit, 6 games above doesnt happen by fluke, we're like 20 games left and people still wonder if they are the "real deal"
silky_smooth8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 silky_smooth8
Member since 2003 • 3659 Posts
raps are making the playoffs
d12malu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 d12malu
Member since 2002 • 1023 Posts
Been following the Raptors b/c Chris Bosh played high school ball in my hometown. Glad to see him become an All-Star and Olympian. They are exciting to watch (during the rare times their games are broadcast down here). They also have a lot of nice side stories, like the continued strong play of TJ Ford, and the development of Barnagni. Any die-hard basketball fan, like myself, should have noticed the Raptor's strong play. In the weak East, there is no reason to not think that the Raptors could very well be a #2 seed. Upcoming trip to TX will bring them down to Earth a little but I think they will make a little run in the playoffs and next year will be even better.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ZebethOrZebes
Been following the Raptors b/c Chris Bosh played high school ball in my hometown. Glad to see him become an All-Star and Olympian. They are exciting to watch (during the rare times their games are broadcast down here). They also have a lot of nice side stories, like the continued strong play of TJ Ford, and the development of Barnagni. Any die-hard basketball fan, like myself, should have noticed the Raptor's strong play. In the weak East, there is no reason to not think that the Raptors could very well be a #2 seed. Upcoming trip to TX will bring them down to Earth a little but I think they will make a little run in the playoffs and next year will be even better.d12malu
San Antonio straight outplayed the Raptors, but Toronto straight outplayed the Rockets tonight. That was a great game. 106-90. No one on the Raptors stood out, but 6 players scored in double figures, and 3 players got 6 assists. The Raptors don't have the most talent in the East, but they've got good depth.
Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts
I'm glad they are doing well. I don't think they will keep their division lead over the Nets but i say they will beat out the Heat for the 7th or 8th spot.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZebethOrZebes
I'm glad they are doing well. I don't think they will keep their division lead over the Nets but i say they will beat out the Heat for the 7th or 8th spot.TheDarkDisciple
They've got a relatively easy schedule the rest of the way. Aside from 2 games at Washington and a game at Cleveland, and 2 games against Detroit, their schedule is mostly against sub 500 teams. Also, they've got one more game at home than on the road from here on out. The Raptors, like most NBA teams, play really well at home. And many of their road games are winnable. The likes of Boston, New York, Minnesota, Orlando, and Philly. http://www.nba.com/raptors/schedule/ They can climb the standings with a schedule like that.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts
[QUOTE="JRoss17"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placenickdastick

The nets are garbage.

I second that. The Nets are garbage! A team that is trying to get rid of Kidd and Carter should be taken out of the league! They should just get rid of RJ and pick up some good size!

You obviously aren't a raptors fan. You never had to put up with Carter quitting on the team when they started losing. Try and watch the next game NJ plays in Toronto, there's a reason Carter is boo'ed every time he gets within 10 feet of the ball. He may have talent but he's a whiny B****. I see the raptors either losing in the first round or making at least the conference finals. The raps are a team that are just realizing they are a good team and if they get the confidence boost of winning a playoff series, I'd watch my back if I was on the Pistons. On a related note, Jays are going all the way this year, all we need is a little luck for the raptors and the Leafs, Flames or 'Nucks to win the cup and we'll have the trifecta.
XxMa5icarxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XxMa5icarxX
[QUOTE="nickdastick"][QUOTE="JRoss17"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placepundog

The nets are garbage.

You obviously aren't a raptors fan. You never had to put up with Carter quitting on the team when they started losing. Try and watch the next game NJ plays in Toronto, there's a reason Carter is boo'ed every time he gets within 10 feet of the ball. He may have talent but he's a whiny B****. I see the raptors either losing in the first round or making at least the conference finals. The raps are a team that are just realizing they are a good team and if they get the confidence boost of winning a playoff series, I'd watch my back if I was on the Pistons. On a related note, Jays are going all the way this year, all we need is a little luck for the raptors and the Leafs, Flames or 'Nucks to win the cup and we'll have the trifecta.

Carter only whined as a Raptor cuz they sucked all the way yea i guess he the first player in sports history to complain bout his team:roll: Raptors are gonna choke and not win the Atlantic Dvision when RJ comes back there gonna go on a roll. Raptors winning going to the conference fnals...:lol: and Jays going all the way. They couldnt beat the Yankees and they stil have a crappy ass pitching staff so no.
ZebethOrZebes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZebethOrZebes
[QUOTE="pundog"][QUOTE="nickdastick"][QUOTE="JRoss17"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeXxMa5icarxX

The nets are garbage.

Carter only whined as a Raptor cuz they sucked all the way yea i guess he the first player in sports history to complain bout his team:roll: Raptors are gonna choke and not win the Atlantic Dvision when RJ comes back there gonna go on a roll. Raptors winning going to the conference fnals...:lol: and Jays going all the way. They couldnt beat the Yankees and they stil have a crappy ass pitching staff so no.

He quit on the team in the conference semi-finals. I guess you're unaware that on the day of game 7 against Philly; Carter went to his graduation ceremony in NC and then flew back to Philly and had a subpar game. Vince gave up on the Raps long before they hit the downturn. Also, the downturn was at least partially because Vince quit on the team. (No team is going to be any good if their superstar starts sulking.)
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pundog

Carter only whined as a Raptor cuz they sucked all the way yea i guess he the first player in sports history to complain bout his team:roll: Raptors are gonna choke and not win the Atlantic Dvision when RJ comes back there gonna go on a roll. Raptors winning going to the conference fnals...:lol: and Jays going all the way. They couldnt beat the Yankees and they stil have a crappy ass pitching staff so no.XxMa5icarxX

Anyone who quits their team, regardless of reason, is a little b****. You make a commitment (in this case signing a contract) you follow it through. Instead of doing what a superstar is supposed to do and lead their team (see: Steve Nash, Chris Bosh, Shaq, Gilbert Arenas and many others) Carter decided he didn't have to try. I hope he resigns with NJ just so you can see what happens when Jason Kidd leaves/retires. And have you even seen the Raptors this season, they are easily one of the top 4 teams in the east, the only team that is undeniably better than them in the east in Detroit. And don't use injuries as an excuse, a good team has enough depth to deal with injuries.

As for the Jays, yeah, Roy Halladay, AJ Burnett, Gustavo Chachin and BJ Ryan...real plugs. If Burnett and Chachin stayed healthy the Jays would have made the wildcard.

Jnf-Gangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jnf-Gangsta
Member since 2004 • 1547 Posts

[QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]Carter only whined as a Raptor cuz they sucked all the way yea i guess he the first player in sports history to complain bout his team:roll: Raptors are gonna choke and not win the Atlantic Dvision when RJ comes back there gonna go on a roll. Raptors winning going to the conference fnals...:lol: and Jays going all the way. They couldnt beat the Yankees and they stil have a crappy ass pitching staff so no.pundog

Anyone who quits their team, regardless of reason, is a little b****. You make a commitment (in this case signing a contract) you follow it through. Instead of doing what a superstar is supposed to do and lead their team (see: Steve Nash, Chris Bosh, Shaq, Gilbert Arenas and many others) Carter decided he didn't have to try. I hope he resigns with NJ just so you can see what happens when Jason Kidd leaves/retires. And have you even seen the Raptors this season, they are easily one of the top 4 teams in the east, the only team that is undeniably better than them in the east in Detroit. And don't use injuries as an excuse, a good team has enough depth to deal with injuries.

As for the Jays, yeah, Roy Halladay, AJ Burnett, Gustavo Chachin and BJ Ryan...real plugs. If Burnett and Chachin stayed healthy the Jays would have made the wildcard.

I agree.
frankpaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 frankpaladin
Member since 2003 • 99 Posts
[QUOTE="pundog"]

[QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]Carter only whined as a Raptor cuz they sucked all the way yea i guess he the first player in sports history to complain bout his team:roll: Raptors are gonna choke and not win the Atlantic Dvision when RJ comes back there gonna go on a roll. Raptors winning going to the conference fnals...:lol: and Jays going all the way. They couldnt beat the Yankees and they stil have a crappy ass pitching staff so no.Jnf-Gangsta

I agree.

For a team that last year had one of the worst point guard situation, now having guys like TJ Ford and Jose Calderon, it tells you how much Colangelo managed to turn around the depth of the team. I'm not sold completely on the Jays yet, but they do have the pitching depth to make a run for October.
Hitman_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Hitman_Dan
Member since 2006 • 1504 Posts
[QUOTE="pundog"][QUOTE="nickdastick"][QUOTE="JRoss17"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeXxMa5icarxX

The nets are garbage.

First off, the raptors didn't suck all they way, they made it to the playoffs 3 times when carter was on the team, and once they started losing, carter quit like a sore loser. His attitude is terrible and the trade for him was one of the most lopsided trades in nba history. Toronto has suffered a lot the past few years. Even if they don't make the playoffs this year, they'll be champs soon considering how young their roster is.
Avatar image for GEARSpartan0415
GEARSpartan0415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 GEARSpartan0415
Member since 2006 • 403 Posts

:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeXxMa5icarxX

yea i agree the only reason the nets arent the second seed is because they lost krstic and rj is out right now, btw im a nets fan too and i think that the raptors are just a good team and theyll make it to the playoffs (probably the 6 or 7 seed) but if they meet up with the nets, pistons, cavs, or wizards in t he playoffs there done

GEARSpartan0415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GEARSpartan0415

[QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]Carter only whined as a Raptor cuz they sucked all the way yea i guess he the first player in sports history to complain bout his team:roll: Raptors are gonna choke and not win the Atlantic Dvision when RJ comes back there gonna go on a roll. Raptors winning going to the conference fnals...:lol: and Jays going all the way. They couldnt beat the Yankees and they stil have a crappy ass pitching staff so no.pundog

the reason carter stopped trying was cuz of the managing of the team he felt that they were doing something wrong and the scott mitchell didnt like carter and carter didnt like scott mitchell and why r u blaming it on new jersey its not there fault carter stopped trying, toronto fans hate new jersey just cuz carter is having his best seasons as a net and not a raptor

GEARSpartan0415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GEARSpartan0415

[QUOTE="nickdastick"][QUOTE="JRoss17"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placepundog

The nets are garbage.

the raptors are garbage, and carter isnt the first to ask to leave his team you know i can name a bunch, iverson, mcgrady, garnett (he didnt get traded yet because minnesota couldnt make a deal), webber, rasheed wallace, pippen, and a lot more

vinsanity4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vinsanity4
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts

[QUOTE="pundog"][QUOTE="nickdastick"][QUOTE="JRoss17"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"][QUOTE="ZebethOrZebes"][QUOTE="XxMa5icarxX"]:lol: raptors being good in the atlantic divsion sure i can belive that since th eTeam they are ahead"NETS" is in injury mode irgh tnow. When RJ gets back raptors can say bye to first placeGEARSpartan0415

The nets are garbage.

the raptors are garbage, and carter isnt the first to ask to leave his team you know i can name a bunch, iverson, mcgrady, garnett (he didnt get traded yet because minnesota couldnt make a deal), webber, rasheed wallace, pippen, and a lot more

it doesn't matter if carter wasn't the first player to ask to leave his team, he is still a quitter and always will be end of story. anyways i have been a raptors fan my whole life and i'm glad that they actually have a real leader in bosh. they will probably finish 4th and could possibly get to the second round depending on who they play in the 1st.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pundog

the reason carter stopped trying was cuz of the managing of the team he felt that they were doing something wrong and the scott mitchell didnt like carter and carter didnt like scott mitchell and why r u blaming it on new jersey its not there fault carter stopped trying, toronto fans hate new jersey just cuz carter is having his best seasons as a net and not a raptorGEARSpartan0415

First of all its Sam Mitchell and since he's on of the frontrunner's to win coach of the year, you better learn it. There's a reason Mitchell didn't like Carter (or Raefer Alston for that matter) is because he isn't a team player, he turned his back on the team that not only had built itself around him but had given him his start in the NBA. Carter didn't like Mitchell because for once in his life Carter wasn't being treated like the Primadonna he really is, Mitchell demanded that Carter actually, you know, put some effort into his game.

Toronto fans don't hate NJ, they just hate Carter because he quit on what was supposed to be his team. Imagine if LaBron (in a very similar situation Carter was in when he was in Toronto) decided he didn't like what the Cav's management was doing so he just started taking jumpshots every time he touched the ball instead of dunking and could barely break 10 pts a game. Then he started complaining about how his knee/toe/ankle/finger/other body part hurt so he couldn't play. Then LaBron demands a trade and ends up on the Wizard's or something. Imagine what the Cav's fans would do when LaBron comes back.

MRCOOPER2786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MRCOOPER2786
Member since 2004 • 54 Posts
They will make the playoffs but it will be tough to beat the Pistons ,Washington or Cleveland but they are underrated.