Goodell Wants Football In Olympics?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18810 Posts

Yay or Nay?

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#2 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

No. Try convincing NFL players to play in a tournament and risk their future for a gold medal. Not going to happen. And I don't see the owners allowing their property to risk injury and their SB chances simply to add another medal to the totals.

-

What country could possibly compete with them if miracles come true?

-

Goodell is just getting his "look at us" swag on. The more people talk about the NFL, the better in his book.

Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
nay. If anything, baseball should return as an Olympic sport.
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#4 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
Nay. We would absolutely crush every team in our path, it wouldn't even be fair.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50633 Posts
Nay. We would absolutely crush every team in our path, it wouldn't even be fair. monkeytoes61
This and it's too demanding physically.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PSP107
nay. If anything, baseball should return as an Olympic sport.Ring_of_fire
baseball was an olympic sport?
Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
No. Not like many people outside the US play it anyway. Would just be a 1 off game between the USA and Canada every 4 years.
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"]nay. If anything, baseball should return as an Olympic sport.PSP107
baseball was an olympic sport?

This is the first summer olympics without baseball.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
No one outside of the US even plays football, it's a joke as a global game. It will never happen. Goodell just wants people to talk about the NFL. Bring Baseball back, though.
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Yeah bring baseball back. And lets say, country X(not US) has this great QB, so what? What are possibilities that this same country would have a good enough O-line and/or defense to even compete with the US other than maybe Canada? This sounds like a free gold medal for the US.
DiIIasDonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DiIIasDonuts
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts
He probably wants it to do for football, what the dream team did for basketball, but yeah it's too physically demanding.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
At first I was okay with baseball and softball being kicked out but now that I know horse dancing and powerwalking are olympic events they should definitely be in.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PSP107
At first I was okay with baseball and softball being kicked out but now that I know horse dancing and powerwalking are olympic events they should definitely be in.JML897
Horse dancing and powerwalking?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Horse dancing is dressage, I'm not sure what the powerwalking one is technically called but they're not allowed to run
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

Horse dancing is dressage, I'm not sure what the powerwalking one is technically called but they're not allowed to runJML897

Race walking. It's actually kind of a fun Olympic sport in that it's so f*cking bizarre that your brain can't comprehend what it's seeing.

And Goodell is out of his mind. Unless Texas secedes they don't even have a third country to round out the podium.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#17 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

No. Try convincing NFL players to play in a tournament and risk their future for a gold medal. Not going to happen. And I don't see the owners allowing their property to risk injury and their SB chances simply to add another medal to the totals.

-

What country could possibly compete with them if miracles come true?

-

Goodell is just getting his "look at us" swag on. The more people talk about the NFL, the better in his book.

Namgis

Agreed....and just as others have said...there arent enough countries bisides the US and Canada that have a real interest in football. But if Russian athletes decided to start training for American football I'd be seriously worried!!!! lol

DiIIasDonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DiIIasDonuts
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]Horse dancing is dressage, I'm not sure what the powerwalking one is technically called but they're not allowed to runSlow_Show

Race walking. It's actually kind of a fun Olympic sport in that it's so f*cking bizarre that your brain can't comprehend what it's seeing.

And Goodell is out of his mind. Unless Texas secedes they don't even have a third country to round out the podium.

Samoa
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
No. He's already wasting time playing games overseas. The NFL needs to get this bum out of the leading role.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
They would need to make the Olympics 4 weeks long just for it to be feasible. No team is playing 5+ games in 2 weeks.
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
they'd just have to use college players or something. i don't see most nfl players willing to take the risk.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

No one outside of the US even plays football, it's a joke as a global game. It will never happen. Goodell just wants people to talk about the NFL. Bring Baseball back, though.-Halftime-

Baseball and women's softball need to be added back.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PSP107
they'd just have to use college players or something. i don't see most nfl players willing to take the risk. ChikaraShref
Why would college players risk it? Atleast NFL players are already paid.
The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
I'd be okay with a flag or two-hand touch version in the Olympics, but not the NFL version.
Avatar image for MorbidlyRecluse
MorbidlyRecluse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MorbidlyRecluse
Member since 2012 • 43 Posts
We would just dominate the world, the olympics need to bring back baseball.
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChikaraShref
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"]they'd just have to use college players or something. i don't see most nfl players willing to take the risk. PSP107

to increase their draft value. plus itd give the other countries a little bit of a chance at least.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PSP107
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"]they'd just have to use college players or something. i don't see most nfl players willing to take the risk. ChikaraShref

to increase their draft value. plus itd give the other countries a little bit of a chance at least.

They could get hurt. And a bunch of 19-22 yr olds will still dominate.
TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="PSP107"] Why would college players risk it? Atleast NFL players are already paid.PSP107

They already do. Just last year at the IFAF World Championship America beat Canada by 40+ points.
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ChikaraShref
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="PSP107"] Why would college players risk it? Atleast NFL players are already paid.PSP107

so could nba or nhl players, but they still do it
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"] to increase their draft value. plus itd give the other countries a little bit of a chance at least.ChikaraShref

The difference is, the whole world plays basketball and hockey. Name a country besides the US, Canada, or Samoa that is big on American Football. it'd be a 3 team tournament. It's stupid.
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChikaraShref
[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="PSP107"] They could get hurt. And a bunch of 19-22 yr olds will still dominate.

The difference is, the whole world plays basketball and hockey. Name a country besides the US, Canada, or Samoa that is big on American Football. it'd be a 3 team tournament. It's stupid.

i know there's not a lot right now, but i do think it'll start catching on a little more. That said, Australia Belgium Brazil Finland Germany Hungary India Israel Italy Japan Mexico New Zealand Norway Poland Serbia Spain UK It still has a long way to go, but its a start.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PSP107

[QUOTE="-Halftime-"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"] so could nba or nhl players, but they still do itChikaraShref

i know there's not a lot right now, but i do think it'll start catching on a little more. That said, Australia Belgium Brazil Finland Germany Hungary India Israel Italy Japan Mexico New Zealand Norway Poland Serbia Spain UK It still has a long way to go, but its a start.

Are just naming countries? because they don't care about american football.

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChikaraShref

[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="-Halftime-"] The difference is, the whole world plays basketball and hockey. Name a country besides the US, Canada, or Samoa that is big on American Football. it'd be a 3 team tournament. It's stupid.PSP107

they're ones that have a national league
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PSP107
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="PSP107"]

i know there's not a lot right now, but i do think it'll start catching on a little more. That said, Australia Belgium Brazil Finland Germany Hungary India Israel Italy Japan Mexico New Zealand Norway Poland Serbia Spain UK It still has a long way to go, but its a start.ChikaraShref

American football leagues outside of America and Canada?
monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#35 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="PSP107"] Are just naming countries? because they don't care about american football.PSP107

American football leagues outside of America and Canada?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football#Exportation_by_the_established_U.S._leagues_and_organizations Scroll down near the bottom, it describes the leagues found outside of America.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

Why not just give the U.S. the gold medal then? Seriously, what country could possibly stand a chance against NFL players?

Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
I do not see this ever happening.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chutebox
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"] to increase their draft value. plus itd give the other countries a little bit of a chance at least.ChikaraShref

Which sport has worse injuries? This is common sense man.
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ChikaraShref
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="PSP107"] They could get hurt. And a bunch of 19-22 yr olds will still dominate.

nhl gets a lot of bad injuries. and i'm surprised no one brought up the obvious. football is a weekly sport. even if you start well before the olympics beging, you really can't do it anywhere near the format. itd be like if they were to do mma.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chutebox
[QUOTE="ChikaraShref"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="ChikaraShref"] so could nba or nhl players, but they still do it

nhl gets a lot of bad injuries. and i'm surprised no one brought up the obvious. football is a weekly sport. even if you start well before the olympics beging, you really can't do it anywhere near the format. itd be like if they were to do mma.

It does, but not like NFL or at that frequency. And yes, the weekly thing too.
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
No, bad idea for so many reasons, Super Bowl trumps Olympic Gold, not enough participating countries, and not every nation plays football with the exact same rules, for example, in Canada, the field is longer and wider.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PSP107
No, bad idea for so many reasons, Super Bowl trumps Olympic Gold, not enough participating countries, and not every nation plays football with the exact same rules, for example, in Canada, the field is longer and wider.juden41
International Basketball has some diffrent rules from American style Basketball.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Fun fact: football DID appear in the Olympics, back in 1932. It was just a demo sport (no medals), they only played one game, and both teams were from the U.S.

BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
No, we would win everytime.
warriorsq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 warriorsq
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

Don't think it will ever happen. I'm 43 and still play in the UK amateur league and most if not all European countries have both youth and adult kitted plus flag leagues. Europe even has National team and club international compertitions.

juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
Plus, the Olympics already has enough sports. There is too much to keep track of.
razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

No one outside of the US even plays football, it's a joke as a global game. It will never happen. Goodell just wants people to talk about the NFL. Bring Baseball back, though.-Halftime-

We have a league and Britbowl, although its nowhere near the same calibur as the teams in the states, it still has a decent following here.Just wish more people in the UK would take notice, once im off my current shift pattern im gonna try out for Edinburgh if they are doing try-outs next series.

Its a lot more grassroots, but im sure that the UK could possibly field a team, same with Germany as im pretty sure they have a fairly good following not to mention their teams dominated NFL-E back in the day.

novelton111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 novelton111
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts
They would need to make the Olympics 4 weeks long just for it to be feasible. No team is playing 5+ games in 2 weeks.TheGrat1
you are absolutely right.but if it would happen, then we couldn't enjoy the olympics games. because we would bore about it.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PSP107
[QUOTE="TheGrat1"]They would need to make the Olympics 4 weeks long just for it to be feasible. No team is playing 5+ games in 2 weeks.novelton111
you are absolutely right.but if it would happen, then we couldn't enjoy the olympics games. because we would bore about it.

bore about it?