Golf: Augusta National adds 2 female members, first in history.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Augusta adds female members

Good, now I can watch The Masters again.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Hey cool thanks for joining the 20th century, Augusta
BatCrazedJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BatCrazedJoker
Member since 2012 • 1611 Posts
That's good news to hear that they finally caught up to the rest of the world.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

I think it's hilarious that Martha Burk is claiming some credit for this. No, Martha, you didn't do squat. Your protest was a decade ago, and nobody cared. Augusta National said they'd do things on their own terms, "not at the point of a bayonet", and that's exactly what they did.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

Good to hear, i've always though it was a stupid policy, and waslegitimately angered when I heard they wouldn't let IBM's CEO join despite the fact that hey'd given membership to every other previous corporate sponsor CEO.

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

Good to hear, i've always though it was a stupid policy, and waslegitimately angered when I heard they wouldn't let IBM's CEO join despite the fact that hey'd given membership to every other previous corporate sponsor CEO.

Boston_Boyy

Yeah, I wonder if they are going to give her membership now. I read the article espn.com had on it a couple months ago. Hopefully they do since she obviously deserves it.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
Never cared, still don't care. Why should the public need to have a say on what a group of people want to have in their PRIVATE club?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Never cared, still don't care. Why should the public need to have a say on what a group of people want to have in their PRIVATE club?ice144
??? That doesn't mean the public can't have opinions about that private club. My opinion is that the rule was really stupid and something that I'd expect a 5-year-old to make about his treehouse.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ice144
[QUOTE="ice144"]Never cared, still don't care. Why should the public need to have a say on what a group of people want to have in their PRIVATE club?JML897
??? That doesn't mean the public can't have opinions about that private club. My opinion is that the rule was really stupid and something that I'd expect a 5-year-old to make about his treehouse.

I just don't like the fact that it seems that they were forced into this because of the public media. Let them do what they want.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JML897

D'aww I feel so bad for the exclusive golf club that the public got fed up with their childish rule. The fact that it lasted this long is ridiculous.

Augusta didn't let in their first black member until 1990. Could you imagine if they didn't allow any black members until now? There would have been a huge, understandable outrage. Sponsors, players, and the media would have boycotted Augusta. I don't see why this was any different.

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ice144

D'aww I feel so bad for the exclusive golf club that the public got fed up with their childish rule. The fact that it lasted this long is ridiculous.

Augusta didn't let in their first black member until 1990. Could you imagine if they didn't allow any black members until now? There would have been a huge, understandable outrage. Sponsors, players, and the media would have boycotted Augusta. I don't see why this was any different.

JML897
I guess. At the end of the day i just don't care, and don't understand why the media cared about how a group of millionaires wanted their private club to be. I don't see people attacking the boy scouts club or fraternities. Maybe their mistake was that they didnt call it the men's augusta national golf club.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JML897

There have been a lot of people complaining about the Boy Scouts lately

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"][QUOTE="ice144"]Never cared, still don't care. Why should the public need to have a say on what a group of people want to have in their PRIVATE club?ice144

I just don't like the fact that it seems that they were forced into this because of the public media. Let them do what they want.

They weren't forced. The public had no say in the matter. They did what they wanted, when they wanted. If it was due to them succumbing to public pressure, it would've happened years ago.