Game Informer Reviews APF 2K8

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

So GI gave APF 2K8 an 8 out of 10. They said the gameplay picks up where 2k5 left off and adds some cool stuff like collar tackles and other things but they did leave some of the issues that the previous game had gameplay-wise(doesn't say what they are). They do say it has solid gameplay but it basically gets ripped like Madden 06 did because it doesn't have much to do. You get to play one season with no trading or free agency (but your players can get hurt so hopefully your pros don't get hurt) but once the season is over it's over. You also do get online play but there is no drafting so you could play someone with the exact same team. They do say it is worth getting if you like football at all so... I'm keeping my pre-order and can't wait to try it out! I will try to scan the mag if I can. There is another review of it (the different take) and they gave it a 7.5 because of the lack of an in depth experience. They do both mention that they don't think the game hurts from not having NFL teams but they do think it hurts from not having more details on the league you are playing in. Either way it sounds like a solid game of football. It also has the standard 4 players offline but it actually has up to 8 online! Hopefully Madden does the same!

On a side note, NCAA was rated and got an 8 as well but the second opinion gave it an 8.25 so... sounds like football is getting closer and closer to being perfect in the next gen! Can't wait to see what Madden gets (since it usually does a touch better than NCAA)!

schox5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2 schox5
Member since 2005 • 971 Posts

That is a good score, I cant wait to see what Gamespot gives it.

nygiants1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 nygiants1080
Member since 2004 • 9413 Posts
It sounds like it is made for more online play right now than SP play.
andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts

That is great news man, exactly what I was expecting

I knew this game might not be 9 material but an 8 and above have met my expectations for its first game on the 360

I'm pretty sure gamespot will give it a 8.0 or 8.5

thanks for the info Nickdastick

shaggyaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 shaggyaz
Member since 2004 • 2279 Posts
sounds good,I havent been this excited about a football game since 2k5,cant wait tp play it
AndyTSJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 AndyTSJ
Member since 2003 • 157 Posts
I'm looking forward to having an alternative simulation style of football game to play. An 8 out of 10 at this stage is good enough for me.
haterex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 haterex
Member since 2004 • 2410 Posts
8 outta 10 is pretty good...
rappid_rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rappid_rabbit
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts

Also sports 60fps for the 360 rather than 30fps for the PS3. Thats a sell point for the 360...Free Online Play for PS3 owners though....

However most Xbox owners have a Live membership (especially sports game lovers) and dont mind the fee so its kind of moot for them...Will be picking up the 360 version.

cheezlarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cheezlarson
Member since 2005 • 219 Posts

You have a significantly better chance at winning the lottery than having the exact same team as somebody in APF 2K8. Sure a lot of people will have Jerry Rice on their team, but then again a lot of people play as the Patriots in Madden.

mazing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 mazing87
Member since 2004 • 3881 Posts

I am not sure how the point system works for GI or any other critic but for APF 2K8 to have an 8 with a not so stellar online is very good. I would think that excellent online play is always considered in today's games.It would have been atleast .3 to a full 1 point that APF 2K8 could have received if online was deeper. As I stated before, APF is for the football purists while Madden is for younger gamers who only know of today's athletes. But in all honesty, as a football purist, I would want to do much more than play with legends, customize uniforms, and play online. This is where Madden has a huge advantage with their Superstar and franchise modes.

I can't wait for Madden to be released

nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

Honestly APF is a solid game and I think it is better than NCAA (judging from the demo) but, it does make me pumped for Madden to come out because you can tell it's 2K Sports' first next gen football game. The game is solid but suffers from the same stuff that Madden 06 did. Next year will be a much better game but it's still a very solid outing and I love playing as the old school guys.

But yeah, I can't wait for Madden to come out now!

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I've played a few games on APF2k8, and I think it's definitely in the 8-range. If it was deeper, it'd be mid-high 9s IMO. The gameplay is awesome; for the most part, it's like NFL 2k5, but some aspects are changed(a new, more challenging kicking system for one thing). I loved 2k5's gameplay, so I really can't complain there. On a side note, the AI is definitely smarter than 2k5, which is a good thing. It's obviously still not perfect, but I'd say it's above average.

One thing that disappointed me a little is that you can only do single-team (offline) season modes. My brother and I usually make a season where both of us have a team, so this kinda bummed me.

I'd say the graphics are slightly better than Madden 07. The player models(and grass) in Madden are a little better(although I do like how not everyone is on roids in apf2k8 ) than apf. But, APF's animations blow Madden's out of the water.

From my experience, the announcers in apf2k8 mostly use the same lines from ESPN NFL 2k5. I was hoping for everything to be different from them, so I was(very slightly) disappointed. They're still better than anything Madden has to offer.

I haven't tried online yet, so I'm a little excited to start that.

All-Pro Football 2k8 is an excellent game. Anyone who loved NFL 2k5 will like this game. Most people probably don't want to spend $60 on it, and I understand that -- but I am happy I did.

psyko7144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 psyko7144
Member since 2005 • 632 Posts

I've played a few games on APF2k8, and I think it's definitely in the 8-range. If it was deeper, it'd be mid-high 9s IMO. The gameplay is awesome; for the most part, it's like NFL 2k5, but some aspects are changed(a new, more challenging kicking system for one thing). I loved 2k5's gameplay, so I really can't complain there. On a side note, the AI is definitely smarter than 2k5, which is a good thing. It's obviously still not perfect, but I'd say it's above average.

One thing that disappointed me a little is that you can only do single-team (offline) season modes. My brother and I usually make a season where both of us have a team, so this kinda bummed me.

I'd say the graphics are slightly better than Madden 07. The player models(and grass) in Madden are a little better(although I do like how not everyone is on roids in apf2k8) than apf. But, APF's animations blow Madden's out of the water.

From my experience, the announcers in apf2k8 mostly use the same lines from ESPN NFL 2k5. I was hoping for everything to be different from them, so I was(very slightly) disappointed. They're still better than anything Madden has to offer.

I haven't tried online yet, so I'm a little excited to start that.

All-Pro Football 2k8 is an excellent game. Anyone who loved NFL 2k5 will like this game. Most people probably don't want to spend $60 on it, and I understand that -- but I am happy I did.

JML897

1up gave it a 6.5

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

1up gave it a 6.5

psyko7144

So? If every review mag/site gave the game mediocre reviews, it wouldn't change my opinion. I really like the game.