9 year old forbidden to pitch in league for being "Too Good"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080825/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bby_too_good_to_pitch;_ylt=AvmLwF41ZRIGwkxqxRbh2hSs0NUE

This is downright stupid. You don't stop people from doing something they're too good at. Should Wayne be banned from the NHL for being too good?

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

"When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left,"

Sounds like that team needs a lesson in sportsmanship.

Anyway if it is meant to be a league for beginners I don't have a problem with them telling a player he needs to find another league.

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
if that's the case they need to bump him up to a new league
borts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 borts
Member since 2008 • 213 Posts

Honestly this would be different if a pro was banned for being to good. That 9-year-old can go up to play with the 10 and 11 year olds or what ever but players like Wayne can't be promoted out of the NHL. But that doesn't mean i don't think the rule is dumb because it is a dumb rule. This isn't like the the 6'1 13-year-old girl who was banned from the boys league after averaging 30 PPGs, and like 7 blocks or what ever that crazy stat was. Because that one honestly has no arguments for her not to be able to play in the Boys league. The parents said "my boy plays defiantly while against her" i laughed when i saw that your boys play different because there being dominated by a girl.

RushMetallica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 RushMetallica
Member since 2007 • 4501 Posts
There are arguments to both sides, but I think he should try to join a better league but still his age group. If he stays, the other kids might not have fun, but if he go's and joins an older league, he might feel alone because I'm guessing alot of the kids won't like that someone younger than them is better or as good as them.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
If there is a higher-skilled league he should go to that. Still, banning him like that wasn't the right move either, as a nine-year old may not fully understand why he was punished for pitching well, something he was supposed to do.
borts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 borts
If there is a higher-skilled league he should go to that. Still, banning him like that wasn't the right move either, as a nine-year old may not fully understand why he was punished for pitching well, something he was supposed to do.Cube_of_MooN
But should a 9-year-old be punished for being to good? I mean really were not talking about a teen were talking about a 9-year-old.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
[QUOTE="Cube_of_MooN"]If there is a higher-skilled league he should go to that. Still, banning him like that wasn't the right move either, as a nine-year old may not fully understand why he was punished for pitching well, something he was supposed to do.borts
But should a 9-year-old be punished for being to good? I mean really were not talking about a teen were talking about a 9-year-old.

Which is why I said banning him wasn't right.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

[QUOTE="Cube_of_MooN"]If there is a higher-skilled league he should go to that. Still, banning him like that wasn't the right move either, as a nine-year old may not fully understand why he was punished for pitching well, something he was supposed to do.borts

I don't know about punished, but dude should be playing up to his skill level and not spending time pounding away at kids just picking up the game.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts

Yeah as said previously, if he can play up he should. I think I played up, but I don't remember being that good; it was just playing up makes you better for when you no longer "play up".

Do you think I said "play up" enough times in those two sentences?

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 feryl06
Member since 2006 • 4955 Posts
banning someone playing within the rules is ridiculous. So he plays well---other parents need to stop coddling their kids. It wasn't a safety issue before, but now that it's a controversy, parents are concerned about his pitching? Give me a break. They should implement a rule next season about pitching speeds if this is the case, but otherwise, let him finish out the season.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
While both sides seem to be handling this poorly, the kid should be playing in either a competitive league or at a higher age level, not against a bunch of beginners who are going to have trouble hitting regardless of the pitcher's ability. Hooray for another case of parents ruining the game for their kids?
mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#13 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts
Let the kid pitch against kids his own age if thats what he wants and feels comfortable with regardless of how good he can pitch.
NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts
At the least the kid is playing outside! I hardly ever see any kids play outside in my neighborhood. And then there are some school system who take away recess? Sorry for my rant. I wonder if his mother new he could pitch that fast? If so she should have started him in a more experienced league. But, since it sounds like their season is almost over, I would say let him finish even if a kid does go and home cry because he was hit by a baseball.
HurricaneHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HurricaneHugo
Member since 2002 • 40807 Posts
It's a begineers league, he should move up...
borts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 borts
Wow did anyone see John Kruk and who ever that ass sportscenter anchor is (forgot his name but he's a white guy with black hair and does the 6 PM eastern tme sportscenter i've never liked the guy as an anchor) anyway they were really debating because when the pitcher was sent up to pitch the other team forfited. John Kruk who was right in my opinion basiclly said (with out saying it in these words) the other team was being little babies and he made a great point about if there a player that's to hard to get out why didn't a team forfit right there. Then the other sportscenter anchor was all well if he's not making the game fun for the opposing teams why should he be in the league. But the guy's arguement really didn't make much sense.
Avatar image for baseballboy6411
baseballboy6411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 baseballboy6411
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts
That means Kobe has stop playing.
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts

That's just a serious case of bad sportsmanship. He's a KID. You're punishing a kid because he's too good? How immature. You know what, in a way it's a good thing because I bet that because of this that there will be scouts all over him in a few years when he gets older. Then he could get drafter high then get banned from the MLB for being "too good"... :roll:

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#19 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts
He should be bumped up to a league that is more fitting for his skill.
feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 feryl06
Why should he be bumped? If he's playing within the rules of the league, let him play where he wants to play. He probably has his friends there, so why should he be punished for having a gift? I still say let him finish out the season and then implement a new rule on how fast a pitcher can throw. This league is an embarassment.
sullivan352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sullivan352
Member since 2008 • 501 Posts
On espn they said he had great control of his pitches, but in the videos they showed he couldnt get the ball over the plate. IN that case that hes just winging the ball as hard as he can at 8 and 9 year olds he will hurt someone. But Isnt the season almost over already, just move him up next year.
KingOfJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 KingOfJersey
Member since 2007 • 285 Posts
So what if he's "too good" he has a right to pad his stats up against kids his age.
HurricaneHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HurricaneHugo

It's a begineer's league though, and he's clearly not a begineer.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DJ_Magneto
Member since 2008 • 4675 Posts
He's 9. Did you hear what he said? He said that he was sad that it was his fault that no one could play. Way to screw with a kid's head, parents.
Hillbilly_BOB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hillbilly_BOB
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts

i wouldnt want my son batting against him, he might throw to hard an hurt my little Bobby

borts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 borts

i wouldnt want my son batting against him, he might throw to hard an hurt my little Bobby

Hillbilly_BOB
You are being sarcastic right.
BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#27 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts
I saw that yesterday and this issue is flat out stupid. An 9 year old boy is being punished for being too good? There are people saying that he should move up and other group are saying that it'll destroy him. Whatever happen to practice and being better player than the next person? Parents and that league need to grow up.
borts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 borts
Really the other coach was being a baby the only reason he was banned in the first place is because the coach of the other team refused to let his players play aganist that kid. That's the only reason he's getting thrown out of the league. If the other coach had been like every other coach before him and said okay kids try your hardest aganist this kid none of this would have ever happened.
Hillbilly_BOB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hillbilly_BOB
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts
yea im scared of my son gettitng hurt by a baseball, but the thing is my son will get mad an hurt that little boy!
balindos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 balindos
Member since 2003 • 2424 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080825/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bby_too_good_to_pitch;_ylt=AvmLwF41ZRIGwkxqxRbh2hSs0NUE

This is downright stupid. You don't stop people from doing something they're too good at. Should Wayne be banned from the NHL for being too good?

CJL13

This isnt new at all. When I played basketball in my Jr leagues, people who were better were moved up to play with the older kids and were not allowed to play with kids their age. I dont think at age 9 you would want a kid making other kids looking extremely silly when moving up would only make him better than wasting his time with lesser opponents.

borts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 borts
Honestly i do hope the parents win there lawsuit and the league is shut down this is an injustice to great players everywhere.
balindos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 balindos

Honestly i do hope the parents win there lawsuit and the league is shut down this is an injustice to great players everywhere.borts

What an american response. If things dont go my way I will bring the law into it. The law has nothing to do with this at all. I cant believe that we will waste tax dollars because a kid cant play little league. Thats stupid, just put him in a higher league. Maybe if this country was like other countries this kid would be signed up to a club team where they would put him at the highest level he can play.

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

[QUOTE="borts"][QUOTE="Cube_of_MooN"]If there is a higher-skilled league he should go to that. Still, banning him like that wasn't the right move either, as a nine-year old may not fully understand why he was punished for pitching well, something he was supposed to do.duxup

I don't know about punished, but dude should be playing up to his skill level and not spending time pounding away at kids just picking up the game.

Yeah, he obviously needs to move up and play in a 11-12 year old league.

choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 choffy
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts

A 9-year old beginner league? Something sounds fishy...

Anyways, this isn't right. It just sends the wrong message. So God blessed this kid with an amazing gift; why punish him for it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3e2de3956ce
deactivated-5f3e2de3956ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 deactivated-5f3e2de3956ce
Member since 2004 • 2175 Posts

Anyway if it is meant to be a league for beginners I don't have a problem with them telling a player he needs to find another league.

duxup

The kid is nine years old! At nine years of age, the kid is not going to find another league than his local one.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DJ_Magneto
I've heard some other interesting things about this story. The 9 year old's team was undefeated at the time. 8 - 0. Apparently the head person in charge of this league owns the second place team. It was this owner that disbanded the first place team and ultimately banned the 9 year old. Hmm, now his team is in 1st place. One thing I thought was rediculous was that the parents who banned this kid wanted him to play in a league of older kids where their skill levels were more "equal." So it's ok for this little 9 year old to play with older bigger kids and potentially get hurt, but it's not ok for this one kid to play against their own kids?
borts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 borts
I've heard some other interesting things about this story. The 9 year old's team was undefeated at the time. 8 - 0. Apparently the head person in charge of this league owns the second place team. It was this owner that disbanded the first place team and ultimately banned the 9 year old. Hmm, now his team is in 1st place. One thing I thought was rediculous was that the parents who banned this kid wanted him to play in a league of older kids where their skill levels were more "equal." So it's ok for this little 9 year old to play with older bigger kids and potentially get hurt, but it's not ok for this one kid to play against their own kids?DJ_Magneto
Wow if that's true the guy should defintly be banned from little league baseball.
HurricaneHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HurricaneHugo

One thing I thought was rediculous was that the parents who banned this kid wanted him to play in a league of older kids where their skill levels were more "equal." So it's ok for this little 9 year old to play with older bigger kids and potentially get hurt, but it's not ok for this one kid to play against their own kids?DJ_Magneto

Why would he get hurt...baseball is not a contact sport.

feryl06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 feryl06
Welcome to america. If you can file a lawsuit for hot coffee, you can file a lawsuit for anything. Get over it. Use the law if you can, why not?

[QUOTE="borts"]Honestly i do hope the parents win there lawsuit and the league is shut down this is an injustice to great players everywhere.balindos

What an american response. If things dont go my way I will bring the law into it. The law has nothing to do with this at all. I cant believe that we will waste tax dollars because a kid cant play little league. Thats stupid, just put him in a higher league. Maybe if this country was like other countries this kid would be signed up to a club team where they would put him at the highest level he can play.

DJ_Magneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DJ_Magneto

[QUOTE="DJ_Magneto"]One thing I thought was rediculous was that the parents who banned this kid wanted him to play in a league of older kids where their skill levels were more "equal." So it's ok for this little 9 year old to play with older bigger kids and potentially get hurt, but it's not ok for this one kid to play against their own kids?HurricaneHugo

Why would he get hurt...baseball is not a contact sport.

The whole issue was centered around the parents thinking that the 9 year old not only was "too good" but that an errant 40 mph throw by him would hit and hurt one of their own kids. So they want to send this little 9 year old up with older and bigger kids where they can easily hurt him with an errant pitch maybe even faster than that. Or maybe they hit a ball hard enough that comes right back at him and he's not quick enough to get his glove up and he gets knocked out. He could easily get hurt. Saying that baseball is not a so called "contact sport" doesn't mean that you couldn't get hurt.
balindos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 balindos
Welcome to america. If you can file a lawsuit for hot coffee, you can file a lawsuit for anything. Get over it. Use the law if you can, why not? [QUOTE="balindos"]

[QUOTE="borts"]Honestly i do hope the parents win there lawsuit and the league is shut down this is an injustice to great players everywhere.feryl06

Sad that people have forgotten how to handle their own problems instead of having the law do it for them.

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#42 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
let hte kid play. if it means playing in a old leauge, then so be it.
Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts
well its not fair to either side, its not fair to the kids who have no shot of hitting him to have to stand up there and bat, they should move the kid up to play with bigger kids.