48 - 0 - My thoughts on the big fight

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gamegents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamegents
Member since 2015 • 32 Posts

http://www.gamegents.com/2015/05/06/48-0/

Just my thoughts on last saturdays big fight! Tell me what you think!

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

My thoughts are what do you think about Canelo vs Kirkland and Figueroa vs Burns today?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Post your thoughts here, I'm on mobile and cant click on the link

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#4 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38030 Posts

No, he isn't the greatest. He is an extremely talented, great boxer. But there is a reason his father was riding him in between rounds to do more. And that is what holds Mayweather back in the opinions of Boxing press as far as best EVER. He is content to do enough to win. The great ones, Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali etc when landing a right hand at will as Mayweather was doing would step up the pressure, press their advantage and close the show. Floyd never does because it would put him at a little more risk of getting hit. He has been in the sport 19 years and is 48-0. Ray Robinson was 46-0 3 years into his career. He didn't lose a second fight until he was 110-1. There is no comparison between the two fighters. The sport was tougher and the fighters had to fight a lot more often because they didn't make the money they do today.

Gamegents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gamegents

@cainetao11: Floyd knocked people out when he was younger his defensive style has grown since he has got into his thirties. He outboxes his opponents now that's what he has done for a while. Sugar Ray was amazing you are correct and he beat alot of great fighters but he also fought some bums on his way to that record. Pound for Pound Floyd is the best to me.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cainetao11

@gamegents said:

@cainetao11: Floyd knocked people out when he was younger his defensive style has grown since he has got into his thirties. He outboxes his opponents now that's what he has done for a while. Sugar Ray was amazing you are correct and he beat alot of great fighters but he also fought some bums on his way to that record. Pound for Pound Floyd is the best to me.

The "bums" Robinson beat were tougher than the crap Mayweather has fought. You act like all Floyd has done is beat great fighters in their prime. Most of the fighters the boxing press believed had the stuff to beat him, he waited to fight. Shane Mosley was 38 when they fought, Delahoya 35. 48 fights and you think Mayweather has fought world class competition the whole way? How old are you? How long have you been watching boxing?

Want to see a better Defensive fighter? Pernell Whitaker: Undisputed Lightweight and then Welterweight champion. He didn't clinch much like Floyd and he could stand right in front of someone and make them miss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkC9OCd03eo

And for further reading:

Sugar Ray Robinson (born Walker Smith Jr.; May 3, 1921 – April 12, 1989) was an American professional boxer. Frequently cited as the greatest boxer of all time, Robinson's performances in the welterweight and middleweight divisions prompted sportswriters to create "pound for pound" rankings, where they compared fighters regardless of weight. He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1990.

Robinson was 85–0 as an amateur with 69 of those victories coming by way of knockout, 40 in the first round. He turned professional in 1940 at the age of 19 and by 1951 had a professional record of 128–1–2 with 84 knockouts. From 1943 to 1951 Robinson went on a 91 fight unbeaten streak, the third longest in professional boxing history.[1][2] Robinson held the world welterweight title from 1946 to 1951, and won the world middleweight title in the latter year.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Floyd sucks, Manny was injured and the whole fight was a farce.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

No, he isn't the greatest. He is an extremely talented, great boxer. But there is a reason his father was riding him in between rounds to do more. And that is what holds Mayweather back in the opinions of Boxing press as far as best EVER. He is content to do enough to win. The great ones, Sugar Ray Robinson, Ali etc when landing a right hand at will as Mayweather was doing would step up the pressure, press their advantage and close the show. Floyd never does because it would put him at a little more risk of getting hit. He has been in the sport 19 years and is 48-0. Ray Robinson was 46-0 3 years into his career. He didn't lose a second fight until he was 110-1. There is no comparison between the two fighters. The sport was tougher and the fighters had to fight a lot more often because they didn't make the money they do today.

I insist, no boxer has the obligation to knock anybody out, if they win on points it's just as valid a win. He doesn't want to risk getting hit more when he's comfortable defending and countering through the rounds. Records don't mean shit, it's the names of the people you've defeated on your record that count, and Mayweather has faced plenty of great boxers. The Best Ever or whatever is all subjective, and personally I don't think he is, but he's most certainly up there with the Sugar Rays, Ali, Jones Jr and the likes.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cainetao11

@ianhh6 said:
@cainetao11 said:

I insist, no boxer has the obligation to knock anybody out, if they win on points it's just as valid a win. He doesn't want to risk getting hit more when he's comfortable defending and countering through the rounds. Records don't mean shit, it's the names of the people you've defeated on your record that count, and Mayweather has faced plenty of great boxers. The Best Ever or whatever is all subjective, and personally I don't think he is, but he's most certainly up there with the Sugar Rays, Ali, Jones Jr and the likes.

And that's where we differ. See here in Floyd's day there are 17 different weight classes, and at least 3 belts in each. That's over 50 possible champions. Back in Robinsons day? 8 weight divisions, one belt in each. 8 champions. A lot harder to fight championship level competition than today when there are so many so called champs and yet Robinson beat Sammy Angott the lightweight champ in '41; Marty Servo a soon to be champ, and Fritzie Zivic another future champion in Robinson's second year as a pro. The level of competition cant be compared and the sport is no where near as tough. Then he captured the welterweight title From Tommy Bell and defended it against Kid Gavilan who would become one of the greatest champions of all time after Robinson took the middle weight title. Robinsons record when challenging for his first title was 73-1-1. Floyd is a talented, great boxer. But no, he isn't in this guys class as I am only scratching the surface of champions he fought.

No a boxer doesn't have the obligation to KO anyone, but to sit back and coast when even your trainer is imploring you to step it up? Not many long time fight fans and purists can respect a guy not even trying.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Catalli  Moderator

@cainetao11 said:

And that's where we differ. See here in Floyd's day there are 17 different weight classes, and at least 3 belts in each. That's over 50 possible champions. Back in Robinsons day? 8 weight divisions, one belt in each. 8 champions. A lot harder to fight championship level competition than today when there are so many so called champs and yet Robinson beat Sammy Angott the lightweight champ in '41; Marty Servo a soon to be champ, and Fritzie Zivic another future champion in Robinson's second year as a pro. The level of competition cant be compared and the sport is no where near as tough. Then he captured the welterweight title From Tommy Bell and defended it against Kid Gavilan who would become one of the greatest champions of all time after Robinson took the middle weight title. Robinsons record when challenging for his first title was 73-1-1. Floyd is a talented, great boxer. But no, he isn't in this guys class as I am only scratching the surface of champions he fought.

No a boxer doesn't have the obligation to KO anyone, but to sit back and coast when even your trainer is imploring you to step it up? Not many long time fight fans and purists can respect a guy not even trying.

The belts thing is a good point, but either way, can you name anybody in the weights he's rated at who would have a chance of beating him? It's not like he's only stuck to one weight class. He defeated Cotto and Canelo Alvarez, and besides Pacquiao I can't think of anybody else who would have a decent shot of beating him...

Also, the fact that he isn't even trying should be a statement to his class. I'm not saying he's better than Ray Robinson, such a discussion is near pointless, and much more so if discussing him vs Ali, but to not consider him a boxing Great is foolish, no matter how much of a dick he is.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cainetao11

@ianhh6 said:
@cainetao11 said:

The belts thing is a good point, but either way, can you name anybody in the weights he's rated at who would have a chance of beating him? It's not like he's only stuck to one weight class. He defeated Cotto and Canelo Alvarez, and besides Pacquiao I can't think of anybody else who would have a decent shot of beating him...

Also, the fact that he isn't even trying should be a statement to his class. I'm not saying he's better than Ray Robinson, such a discussion is near pointless, and much more so if discussing him vs Ali, but to not consider him a boxing Great is foolish, no matter how much of a dick he is.

And I believe I have said he is a great boxer. Oh he had to try against Pac but it was try to stay safe and get by on his jab and occasional lead right, which Pac and his corner need to take the blame on. Why they ever thought they could beat Mayweather with a punch average of 35 per round is absurd. The reason Pac is believed to have the goods to beat him is hand speed and he was known for 70-100 punches per round thrown. But that was in 2009. I guess he cant do that anymore and he cant out box Floyd imo.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18791 Posts

@thehig1:

Pretty selfish of the TC not posting his/her thoughts here. Im not clicking the link.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Catalli  Moderator

@cainetao11: I was one of the ones who thought Pac's speed could beat Floyd... Even if he isn't in his prime, his speed is amazing. Guess I was wrong, he needed more to beat that Michigan Shell.

Gamegents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gamegents

@PSP107: What would you like to know?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PSP107

@gamegents: "What would you like to know?"

You should just post your thoughts here.

Gamegents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gamegents

@PSP107: My thoughts are in the article are you upset I posted a link instead of just posting the text?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PSP107

@gamegents:

No I'm not upset. I clicked on your thread and I expected your thoughts of the fight in here.

Are you upset about that?

Gamegents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gamegents

@PSP107: My thoughts are clearly stated in the article.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PSP107

@gamegents:

Just admit your agenda.

Gamegents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gamegents

To create discussion based on my thoughts on the Floyd Pac fight?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107

@gamegents: "To create discussion based on my thoughts on the Floyd Pac fight?"

lol, why do people have to click your link to see your thoughts? Like I said, you could have easily posted your thoughts here.

Gamegents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gamegents

@PSP107: I posted my article to create discussion. I wrote my thoughts down in the article.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PSP107

@gamegents:

You should of put everything in here.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@ianhh6 said:
@cainetao11 said:

And I believe I have said he is a great boxer. Oh he had to try against Pac but it was try to stay safe and get by on his jab and occasional lead right, which Pac and his corner need to take the blame on. Why they ever thought they could beat Mayweather with a punch average of 35 per round is absurd. The reason Pac is believed to have the goods to beat him is hand speed and he was known for 70-100 punches per round thrown. But that was in 2009. I guess he cant do that anymore and he cant out box Floyd imo.

Mayweather is a phony and he just picks the easiest fights. I 100% agree with every thing you have said. There was a reason why Mayweather chose to fight Pac well past his prime- it's because if he fought him 5 years ago he would have been wrecked. Mayweather going down as one of the greats of all time? Don't make me laugh, he might be able to fool everyone else, but he certainly doesn't fool me. I also noticed during the "big fight" that there were a lot of fouls that were just never called on Mayweather. Boxing really has gotten ridiculous. Holding an opponent and maintaining a clinch is a foul. There were many times when he got Manny in damn headlock, where was the ref and what the hell was he thinking? Also it is against boxing regulations to push your opponent around the ring, something that Mayweather did throughout the fight. I also noticed a few low blows. I am sure you caught all of this because you have some seriously knowledge about the sport, but I just can't believe these fouls were not called. Also, I know I am not the only one that thought the fight was a lot closer than it was actually portrayed. I was thinking more along the lines of a split decision or even possibly a split draw- there was no way Mayweather won that many rounds. All I saw during the fight was Mayweather fouling Manny and him getting warnings on top of warnings. He also did not seem to throw as many punches that landed. I re-watched the fight a 2nd time and I saw Manny landing about the same amount of punches. Was it rigged? I don't know if I would say that, but I watched it with a group of about 30 people and out of those 30 people I would say about 25 saw what I saw and agreed. I also found it odd that the announcers acted like it was a land slide victory when it clearly wasn't. Definitely not the best day for boxing...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 cainetao11

@Mighty-Lu-Bu: No doubt a black eye for the sport. Fouls, clinching, skipping.......yes a man who plead guilty to beating a woman was skipping away from another man in a boxing ring. Best ever? Please.