Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

Noticed no one had a thread for the new season, so why not start here

How's your team looking? Surprises so far?

Biggest surprise for me would have to be the Wolves not winning like a lot expected, and the Lakers winning more than expected so far (although injuries seem to be hurting them now)

Embid looks like a boss, Jamal Murray shows flashes of brilliance. Would love to see more of Jaylen Brown and Buddy Hield, season is still young though

Share your thoughts!

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

I've only recently started paying attention to basketball but so i know very little about the sport in general but i will say chicago is looking very inconsistent. Jimmy Butler was hyped quite a bit but i'm wondering if that was just our local media who thinks that. Meanwhile, Westbrook and Tompson are setting records and making headlines.

Then again, it was my understanding that Chicago was a big question mark anyway with the off season changes made.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PopGotcha

@amillionhp said:

I've only recently started paying attention to basketball but so i know very little about the sport in general but i will say chicago is looking very inconsistent. Jimmy Butler was hyped quite a bit but i'm wondering if that was just our local media who thinks that. Meanwhile, Westbrook and Tompson are setting records and making headlines.

Then again, it was my understanding that Chicago was a big question mark anyway with the off season changes made.

The reason why they are so inconsistent is they are a poor jump shooting team. In a league where the 3 is being shot at ridiculous numbers, Butler Wade and Rondo are below 30 percent (last I checked) usually when they have won, the team has shot well from deep. Cannan, Mirotic and McDermott are their best shooters.

Westbrook is in a whole league of his own. Did you see that stat about Thompsons 60 point game? Only held the ball for 88 seconds. That's absurd

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 amillionhp

@popgotcha: The few games i watched, Mirotic is a coin toss if he's good or bad. That isnt me paying attention to the stats or anything, it just looked that way. Doug just returned and i'm not sure if he'll make a huge difference or not. Rondo is well, i dont know what to expect. Again, i just started watching so i dont know about his performance from other teams and i honestly dont care about his fights and other issues but he hasnt even been shooting much.

I see our news media and other people make a big deal out of the fact that we beat Cleaveland and San Antonio but ....i dont think that means anything. Teams like that can approach these games with a different mindset knowing full well they will still secure enough wins for a playoff spot without necessarilly caring about the scoreboard.

Yeah i didnt watch the game where Clay destroyed Indiana but that 60 points is what i was talking about.

Do you think Rose is going to be a significant asset for New York now or do you think it'll be more of the same nonsense with him still? (He just missed a game due to back soreness)

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PopGotcha

@amillionhp: Rondo is the biggest ? mark. He has the abilty to set up so many mid range buckets, its just a matter if he wants to. Im really liking Wades season so far but. Bulls will make some noise come playoffs cause Defensively, the team is rock solid with experience.

Rose just needed his confidence back. Ive watched a few Knicks games this year, and each time he seems to be driving more and more to the bucket, with speed. He seems to be getting his lateral quickness back too, which is huge for Knicks fans. Porzingod will continue to grow and grow, and Melo can give you 30 pretty well any night. Exciting time for Knicks fans

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 amillionhp

@popgotcha: lol yeah exciting time for them indeed. Aquiring porzingus and rose. I'm assuming they're in better shape now than they've been in quite a while. Again, that is if rose stays healthy of course. I'm sure Melo is delighted to have more talent on the team now.

You know... i can remember the year Lebron moved to Cleaveland was the same year Melo was "considering" moving somewhere and he was supposedly considering chicago. Rose tried to help recruit him but melo just ended up resigning with the knicks anyway. Now rose and noah are both over there. Funny how that worked out.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PopGotcha

@amillionhp: they just need at least 75 games out of Rose, 70 odd out of Noah and they should be in a good spot for some playoffs action. Kyle Oquinn looks like a nice find too!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#8 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

The Raptors are doing good. Their roster is very good.

I feel bad for the Wolves. I think the Wolves will get 30 wins.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PopGotcha

@GameboyTroy: Raptors are the only genuine threat to the Cavs making the finals. Derozan and Lowry are just so good.

Wolves have been very average, but did we expect too much? Another year in the lottery honestly isn't a bad thing, any extra good young talent is a win I say. Don't be surprised if Rubio is gone by trade deadline but

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GameboyTroy

I think the Jazz might be a surprise team. They're 18-10. They're doing something good with their team.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PopGotcha

@GameboyTroy: Rudy Gobert becoming an elite stopper inside and huge veteran presence in JJ, Boris and GHill (even though his been out for a while) have helped greatly. Exum (fellow aussie) has been disappointing and looks to have lost confidence with Mack playing solid minutes. When Favours and Hill are back and healthy, expect this team to be an absolute beast defensively. Possible Exum for Nerlens Noel swap?

Madc0w1011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Madc0w1011
Member since 2016 • 39 Posts

Knicks want to do some good then get rid of Carmelo! I hate to say it but the guys straight booty in that offense. They could trade him for a couple up and comers and get that team on a role.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PopGotcha

@madc0w1011: Boston for 2 first round picks? We could all dream haha. Melo is at this point of his career he isn't going to change his game to suit a team. His a pure ISO scorer, and as good as he is, the league just isn't that kind of game anymore. The offense that passes and cuts or drive and dish seem to be the most effective.

Madc0w1011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Madc0w1011
Member since 2016 • 39 Posts

@popgotcha: @popgotcha: I somehow doubt Boston would want that trouble. He could thrive maybe in a Popovich or Van Gundy system depending on his level of commitment. I just can't see the Spurs giving up much to get him. But the Pistons may be a solid transition given the lack of effectiveness in Morris and Harris at the moment.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PopGotcha

@madc0w1011: Honestly Pop wouldn't want him. Just send him to Houston and let it fly I say!

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PopGotcha

Kyle Korver traded to Cavs! Thoughts on this?

Also Rondo unhappy with benching (he is such a locker room cancer in this stage of his career, good luck finding a new home Rajon)

Any other major news I missed out? Heard a whisper Jimmy Butler is on the trading block, but surely that cant be more than a rumor

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GameboyTroy

@popgotcha said:

Also Rondo unhappy with benching (he is such a locker room cancer in this stage of his career, good luck finding a new home Rajon)

Any other major news I missed out? Heard a whisper Jimmy Butler is on the trading block, but surely that cant be more than a rumor

The Cavs will score more points with Korver. He's another 3 point shooter for them.

The Bulls should keep him. He scored 42 points with 10 reb, 5 ast and 3 steals last night.

https://watch.nba.com/game/20170107/TORCHI

I don't know what to say about what Rondo is doing to locker rooms if I recall correctly he has a ring.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PopGotcha

@GameboyTroy said:
@popgotcha said:

The Cavs will score more points with Korver. He's another 3 point shooter for them.

The Bulls should keep him. He scored 42 points with 10 reb, 5 ast and 3 steals last night.

https://watch.nba.com/game/20170107/TORCHI

I don't know what to say about what Rondo is doing to locker rooms if I recall correctly he has a ring.

Rondo has a ring because he played with Pierce, Garnett and Allen. 3 hall of famers to set up would be one of the best jobs as point guard.

From what I have read in the news about him, he still thinks he is a starting caliber point guard. He simply isn't. He cant shoot from anywhere outside of the free throw line. His defense is still solid but you cant rely on that in todays game. And Carter Williams has better upside. If Rondo couldn't play for a top tier coach like Rick Carlsle at Dallas, then he wont play for anyone unless its on his terms

Bulls as an organization make some head scratching decisions. The only way I can see them trading Butler is if the GM decides finishing 5-8th in the east isn't good enough and start again.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GameboyTroy

Curry got dunked on in a dirty way.

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/819033138630311936

I'm glad the Raptors won that game against the Celtics tonight.

Loading Video...

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 amillionhp

@popgotcha: I really doubt they will let Jimmy go. Wasn't he one of the major reasons Wade decided to show up? The asking price would have to be astronomical, i don't think anyone would pay it. But at this point, it should be obvious Rondo needs to go.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PopGotcha

@amillionhp: If Rondo isn't moved by tradeline I'm willing to bet a lot of money that he will be playing in China. The guy just doesn't understand his not a starter anymore

That dunk on Curry was straight up nasty. Whiteside had a huge one in the same game too

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GameboyTroy

Here's a close up shot.

https://i.imgur.com/DsrrCEU.jpg

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@amillionhp said:

@popgotcha: I really doubt they will let Jimmy go. Wasn't he one of the major reasons Wade decided to show up?

lol, the only reason Wade came home because it was more money. Nobody else would have given him that much.

@GameboyTroy said:

Here's a close up shot.

https://i.imgur.com/DsrrCEU.jpg

lol@ Iguodala's reaction.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts
@PSP107 said:
@amillionhp said:

@popgotcha: I really doubt they will let Jimmy go. Wasn't he one of the major reasons Wade decided to show up?

lol, the only reason Wade came home because it was more money. Nobody else would have given him that much.

I find it very hard to believe that a man who's already made countless tens of millions of dollars in NBA salary over a decade+ long career, not to mention countless millions more from endorsements, would really make that big of a move based on NOTHING but a couple more millions. That's chump change to a guy that wealthy. I'm not saying it wasn't ONE OF the reasons, but there's absolutely no chance that it was the ONLY reason. Being fed up with Pat Riley, wanting to retire in his hometown, and wanting to play with a guy like Jimmy Butler, rather than waste away on a rebuilding team, almost certainly had more to do with it than, what, like 2 or 3 million bucks?

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PopGotcha

@the_bi99man said:
@PSP107 said:
@amillionhp said:

I find it very hard to believe that a man who's already made countless tens of millions of dollars in NBA salary over a decade+ long career, not to mention countless millions more from endorsements, would really make that big of a move based on NOTHING but a couple more millions. That's chump change to a guy that wealthy. I'm not saying it wasn't ONE OF the reasons, but there's absolutely no chance that it was the ONLY reason. Being fed up with Pat Riley, wanting to retire in his hometown, and wanting to play with a guy like Jimmy Butler, rather than waste away on a rebuilding team, almost certainly had more to do with it than, what, like 2 or 3 million bucks?

Its a crime that Riley didn't let him retire in Miami. Who knows, could have maybe slotted in at 6-8th in the east, send Wade out with a bang? Wade, dragic and Whiteside is a solid trio. Look how bad the team is without him (yes they have had injuries which doesn't help)

I hope they are just rumours, but what about the Love trade for Carmelo? If that happens im officially off the Cavs train and trusting the process (Philly with Embiid and Simmons, my aussie boy)

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@the_bi99man:

Wade has never been the highest paid player on his team. He sacrifice millions by taking less to allow James, Bosh, Dragic and Whiteside etc. to get money too.

Wade is clearly coasting. The guy is not really motivated. Jimmy Butler based on play should be paid more than Wade.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PopGotcha

So, New York crowd booing Carmelo (are they seriously the worst fans in the league?) and Boston looking for a trade for Vucevic (from Orlando)

Any other exciting news I missed out? Rondo pretty well quitting on the Bulls was also up there, but its not exciting when you expect it!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GameboyTroy

This is what is going on. The Knicks' situation is rough. The Heat and the 76ers are playing better. Love got injured for 6 weeks. The Jazz have a playoff spot.

http://www.nba.com/

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 amillionhp

Well now the rumor mill states Butler may be on the trading block, after its already been announced Bull's management gets to keep their jobs.... I don't care if we are somewhat closer to a possible championship by trading him because that would be assuming i trust Gar/Pax to properly manage money/draft picks anyway which they obviously can not.

Butler carries additional value not associated with being among the top 10 players. Considering Chicago's crime issues and Jimmy's background, i think its quite valuable to our youth for a player like that to be the centerpiece of the team. I understand that decisions like that shouldn't be made on things not connected with Basketball but still i don't think anyone from around here wants to see Jimmy leave.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PopGotcha

It would be crazy for the bulls to trade away Butler, but head office IMO is equal worst in the league with Orlando for signings and trades. Seriously, some stupid stuff. Only reason to move Jimmy is if you dedicate to a full scale blow up, build from the bottom.

KLove out for 6 weeks reaaaaaaaallly hurts the Cavs. Boston, Washington and Toronto are hot on their tales, especially now Ibaka is a Raptor, I can see the Cavs losing top spot!

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PopGotcha

Breaking: Per woj, Demarcus Cousins traded to New Orleans for Buddy Hield and 2 1st rounders! More details to come

Wowee

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GameboyTroy

@popgotcha said:

Breaking: Per woj, Demarcus Cousins traded to New Orleans for Buddy Hield and 2 1st rounders! More details to come

Wowee

This is huge! Cousins and Davis on the same team. The trade deadline is near.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Rockets got what it takes. With the injuries to GS and SA, they just might have a good shot.

danielgozun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35 danielgozun
Member since 2017 • 12 Posts

The other half of splash brother and its Klay thompson who is over shadow by steph but he is more pure shooter and can make a quick point if team needs it.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PopGotcha

Westbrook officially breaks Oscars record of 41 triple doubles with a mammoth performance including a game winning 3 on the buzzer to not only win the game, but also crush any hope Denver had of making the playoffs. Surely this man is the MVP. Surely... Right????

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GameboyTroy

@popgotcha: Westbrook has been playing beastly. He should win the MVP. Speaking of the playoffs here are the brackets right now.

http://stats.nba.com/playoffs/

Loading Video...

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 narlymech

I guess Westbrook should get MVP, but I'm a still a Rockets fan. Maybe they should give it to the series winner.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PopGotcha

@narlymech: Honestly I think Westbrook still has it. But going by todays performance, he is genuinely one of the worst ball hoggers the league has ever seen. That performance was embarrassing. Patrick Beverly outplayed him... Yes players can have one bad game here and there. But he does hog the ball. And he turns it over waaaaaay too much

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By amillionhp

Welp Chicago WAS shocking everyone with their sudden ability to get their shit together and win two games against Boston. But of course that took everyone actually performing well including Rondo, whom is as of now out indefinitely on a fractured thumb.... fun while it lasted i guess. Then again, with Thomas dealing with his personal issues, i don't know how much of that was really Chicago doing well or Boston doing poorly to begin with anyway.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 narlymech

Spurs are taking it to the Rockets. Oh well, Rockets had a good season...

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PopGotcha

@narlymech said:

James Harden turning up in elimination games like always. 6 T/O, fouled out, 2-10 shooting. Classic "fear the beard"

Hope the Spurs take Warriors to 6-7, they need at least some challenge before heading into the finals. I can see the Celts beating Wizards also, Cavs should breeze past Celts but

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50549 Posts

@popgotcha said:
@narlymech said:

James Harden turning up in elimination games like always. 6 T/O, fouled out, 2-10 shooting. Classic "fear the beard"

Hope the Spurs take Warriors to 6-7, they need at least some challenge before heading into the finals. I can see the Celts beating Wizards also, Cavs should breeze past Celts but

Don't you think Cavs should get a challenge? That conference is a complete joke lol

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

The season was kind of interesting.

Westbrook had the single most impressive season ive ever seen in my 30 years of basketball. Some of the Eastern teams are interesting.

But the POs are shit. We know who will be in the finals and who will win (Warriors) as long as they are healthy.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KOD

@Chutebox said:

Don't you think Cavs should get a challenge? That conference is a complete joke lol

I think the Wizards would actually have more success against the Cavs than the Celtics would. That said, at best this means Wizards get 2 but most likely 1. THAT said, the Warriors win in 5.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By KOD

@amillionhp said:

Welp Chicago WAS shocking everyone with their sudden ability to get their shit together and win two games against Boston. But of course that took everyone actually performing well including Rondo, whom is as of now out indefinitely on a fractured thumb.... fun while it lasted i guess. Then again, with Thomas dealing with his personal issues, i don't know how much of that was really Chicago doing well or Boston doing poorly to begin with anyway.

I had been telling people for years that Rondo didnt all the sudden fall off the map. He was simply on a Carlisle team that runs a system not reliant on a PG and then the Kings (not a whole lot to say after that). In a proper system he is one of the best PGs in the game and as found out with the Bulls, their last ditch effort for some reason (not sure why they didnt do this before) for the POs was to tell Rondo to have complete control running the offense. As a result had he not been injured they could have very easily won in 5, maybe even swept. Rondo's understanding of the floor, player positions and being able to read who is best to get the ball to and run plays for, is almost unmatched in the NBA today.

Im sure IT's sisters death had a lot to do with his mental state at the time, but the fact is that Bulls team with Rondo gluing them all together, was simply a better team IT mentally there or not. They had no answer to Butler. Wade was looking good. The Celtics bigs could not handle the Bulls bigs..... the Celtics really lucked out.

Both teams will have interesting off seasons though. The Bulls IMO were going to get rid of Rondo and Butler. Now, they might not. Depends on Rondo pretty much, if he stays than butler stays.

The Celtics will have a top 3 pick most likely (and like 3-5 franchise SF/SGs to pick from) plus i believe 55M in cap with 8 players signed.

@popgotcha said:

@narlymech: Honestly I think Westbrook still has it. But going by todays performance, he is genuinely one of the worst ball hoggers the league has ever seen. That performance was embarrassing. Patrick Beverly outplayed him... Yes players can have one bad game here and there. But he does hog the ball. And he turns it over waaaaaay too much

Nah, there's nothing ball hoggish about Westbrook. Not only did he average 10+ assists, but his teammates percentages and rates skyrocketed when he was on the floor. Which means he was good at recognizing what sets to run and distributing.

The simple fact of the matter is OKC lacks players who can create their own shot or even run plays. That said, if they manage to get a guy like Butler, PG13, Gordon, who can help Westbrook with these duties for 20% of the game, this is an instant contending team. They seem to have all the other pieces in place. High defense. 3D guys. Nearly unmatched big man depth. But even if they don't, Dipo and Dougie still have time to develop into that guy next season and both seem to have the skill set to do so. Grant might also, but i wouldnt count on it.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 narlymech

San Antonio blew a 25 point lead to GSW. That was their only shot.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 KOD

Celtics lost by 50 points........... this is seriously, the most boring playoffs ive ever seen.

We knew from day 1 who it was going to be in the finals and unlike the West, there is just zero competition in the East.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 narlymech

Yeah definitely has been a lackluster playoffs so far.

Who yall got to win the finals? Cavs or Warriors? I'm thinking the Warriors won't be denied this time.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GameboyTroy

The Warriors and the Cavs being in the NBA finals is too predictable. The Warriors could probably win it all too.