PS4 Midnight Release Concern

This topic is locked from further discussion.

3SidedSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 3SidedSquare
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

SO I have yet to preorder my PS4, but of course I will be doing so shortly.

I've never pre-ordered a new console at the GameStop and instead have taken to waiting at a Walmart for upwards of 12 hours on a console's release night. 

My concern is pretty simple: if I preorder the PS4 at GameStop is there a GUARANTEE that I can just waltz in at 12 AM and pick it up? Or would I still need to wait in line for 12 hours not knowing if they'll have enough?

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mep69
Member since 2008 • 1926 Posts

I've never understood why anyone would want to queue up till 12am just to get something. I just don't see the appeal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

If you pre-order it, I think by the time the console comes out you will know the details about whether or not your console will be there at launch.

However, you might still wait in line for a bit, it might not be an in-and-out deal.  My girlfriend pre-ordered a game and went to its midnight release once (I went along with her), and Gamestop kept us waiting for a few minutes while they were getting everything in order behind the counter.  Then, they announced that we could also pre-order this or that game and get some bonuses for doing so that night, made a little announcement about it.  So people were still making other transactions while they were picking up the games they'd pre-ordered, or finished paying the games off and then picked them up.

I will say that Gamestop holds all pre-orders for 48 hours after release, so if you should find that you can't make the midnight release, you could always just go on the next day or the day after that.

3SidedSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 3SidedSquare
Member since 2008 • 347 Posts

If you pre-order it, I think by the time the console comes out you will know the details about whether or not your console will be there at launch.

However, you might still wait in line for a bit, it might not be an in-and-out deal.  My girlfriend pre-ordered a game and went to its midnight release once (I went along with her), and Gamestop kept us waiting for a few minutes while they were getting everything in order behind the counter.  Then, they announced that we could also pre-order this or that game and get some bonuses for doing so that night, made a little announcement about it.  So people were still making other transactions while they were picking up the games they'd pre-ordered, or finished paying the games off and then picked them up.

I will say that Gamestop holds all pre-orders for 48 hours after release, so if you should find that you can't make the midnight release, you could always just go on the next day or the day after that.

Ovirew
Indeed. I'm hoping that it'll be pretty lax because I don't want to be anxious for months not knowing whether or not they'll get in enough systems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

I've never understood why anyone would want to queue up till 12am just to get something. I just don't see the appeal.

mep69
I know what you mean. I don't think most people would be so impatient that they couldn't wait until the next morning. And a lot of people, because of getting up early for work in the morning and whatnot, probably can't even do it. During that midnight release we went to, it brought some of the weirdos out of the woodwork also. We don't have a really big Gamestop here, but it's a nice store compared to the ones at the malls - I can't imagine how many people were probably waiting there at those ones, if they were open. That said, this is a system release... Maybe it deserves to be a bigger deal than a game release. I don't know if I would go wait outside of Gamestop late at night just to get my PS4 a few hours early. It might be worth it just for the energy of it all, though. Being surrounded by people who are just as excited about delving into the next generation of game consoles as you are. And then when you finally get the console, and get home and plug it in and try it out, you can say you are one of the first people in the world who are experiencing the PS4. And that's a pretty cool thought. Since I work second-shift most days, it might actually be do-able for someone like me. But I still don't know if I'd do it. Again, I could just go to Gamestop the next day. And since we don't have a solid release date yet, it's hard to say if there would be any other obligations for me around that time. I guess since it's late in the year, a lot of people will have sick time that they need to get used up. That might be a good time to do it!
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i would think because you put money down you should get one at midnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

i would think because you put money down you should get one at midnight

Flubbbs
Well the reason I pre-ordered a PS4 is because I know I want to be a PS4 owner, and I think it would be cool to experience it from the start. My definition of the 'start' isn't necessarily the moment it's available to the public, though. I don't think it would make me any less of a gamer to just go pick it up the next morning.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I pre oredered one 35 mins after it was possible. I will pick it up the first morning available, like about 10:30 am. 

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

mep69
mh mid night launches are ok, not for me anymore i did it a few times when i was younger, it was fun to be around people who were all as hype for the same product as you. i wouldnt say its to have it at midnight but the social experience rather. also sometimes you get free merch depending on where you go. nowadays i will jsut wait the extra day and have it shipped by amazon
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#10 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

Why stand in line with a bunch of strangers when you can have it delivered to your front door on launch day, pay no sales tax (depending on your state) and free S/H? :o

Amazon Prime FTW.

But you have fun standing in your line.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Midnight releases are dependent on each store's management and whether they want to host such an event.  For pre-orders, though, the point is to avoid the retail rush.  But if you demand it, they'll accomodate.

At this point I'd be surprised if your pre-order will be in the first shipment.  You may have to wait several weeks until the second shipment if you haven't got your order in.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

My concern is pretty simple: if I preorder the PS4 at GameStop is there a GUARANTEE that I can just waltz in at 12 AM and pick it up? Or would I still need to wait in line for 12 hours not knowing if they'll have enough?

3SidedSquare

The preorder supposedly gaurantees that you'll get one at launch, although you'll still have to wait in line for hours because you'll be one of a hundred or more people who also preordered. So no, you aren't going to just waltz in, get your PS4 and be on your merry way, but you should be able to get it after waiting in line.

The exception to this would be if they have production problems like the 360 did and Gamestop isn't given enough units to meet their preorders. The launch date is way too far off to know if that's going to happen yet, though.

-Byshop

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
I preordered mine on Amazon about 5 minutes after they put it up! I have guaranteed launch day delivery as well! I've done the whole midnight console release thing and while at times it has been fun, it can be a stressful situation as well. Plus, while I play video games like everyone on here, I am not as hardcore about it as I once was. I'd rather not stand in a line in 30 degree temperatures in order to maybe get 12 more hours of game play in!
TraXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TraXxX
Member since 2006 • 1820 Posts

Why don't you just pre-order it from Best Buy and have it shipped to you? That way you can completely avoid the midnight launch chaos.

samclockwise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 samclockwise
Member since 2011 • 76 Posts

I think there should not be a midnight release. Some of the people who preordered can't get out at midnight. They should still have a chance as every one else who has preorder it.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
One day after launch 1 of my 3 local gamestops was sold out of the first shipment. They only planned on 20 systems per store.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i think they would have a own part of the counter just for preorders and one for the ones that want to buy it there. Makes sense to me
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

I think there should not be a midnight release. Some of the people who preordered can't get out at midnight. They should still have a chance as every one else who has preorder it.

samclockwise
Just so you know a midnight release does not mean you're obligated to be there at midnight. You can still show up later that day and pick it up. I believe GS holds pre-orders for 24 hours before offering them to the public.
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I think it's 48 hours actually. Check the receipt it will say. I don't have mine handy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
I think it's 48 hours actually. Check the receipt it will say. I don't have mine handy.AutoPilotOn
Yes, it's 48 hours at Gamestop. If you pre-order, and Sony is able to produce enough consoles to meet your store's demands, then GS will hold onto your console for 48 hours until you come pick it up.
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

I've never pre-ordered a new console at the GameStop and instead have taken to waiting at a Walmart for upwards of 12 hours on a console's release night. 

3SidedSquare
umm.... why not just order it on amazon and do launch day delivery? UPS will drop it off on your doorstep that day and you never have to leave the house....
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator

umm.... why not just order it on amazon and do launch day delivery? UPS will drop it off on your doorstep that day and you never have to leave the house....Geminon

Umm.... because Amazon ran out of those so fast it made people's heads spin.

-Byshop 

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Geminon

[QUOTE="Geminon"]umm.... why not just order it on amazon and do launch day delivery? UPS will drop it off on your doorstep that day and you never have to leave the house....Byshop

Umm.... because Amazon ran out of those so fast it made people's heads spin.

-Byshop 

thats funny because you can go on there right now and order one. i just did a few hours ago. launch day delivery. no problem at all. http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Battlefield-Launch-Day-Bundle-4/dp/B00DE2W5XG/ref=sr_tr_sr_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554600&sr=8-2&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Killzone-Launch-Day-Bundle/dp/B00DE2W4PK/ref=sr_tr_sr_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-3&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Knack-Launch-Day-Bundle/dp/B00DE2W33I/ref=sr_tr_sr_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-4&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Watch-Dogs-Launch-Bundle-4/dp/B00DE2W5M2/ref=sr_tr_sr_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-5&keywords=playstation+4 any of those will get you a console on launch day. perhaps actually do some research before you try to sound like a smart ass.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

thats funny because you can go on there right now and order one. i just did a few hours ago. launch day delivery. no problem at all. http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Battlefield-Launch-Day-Bundle-4/dp/B00DE2W5XG/ref=sr_tr_sr_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554600&sr=8-2&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Killzone-Launch-Day-Bundle/dp/B00DE2W4PK/ref=sr_tr_sr_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-3&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Knack-Launch-Day-Bundle/dp/B00DE2W33I/ref=sr_tr_sr_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-4&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Watch-Dogs-Launch-Bundle-4/dp/B00DE2W5M2/ref=sr_tr_sr_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-5&keywords=playstation+4 any of those will get you a console on launch day. perhaps actually do some research before you try to sound like a smart ass.Geminon

From your own links:

ps4.JPG

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/ps4-launch-edition-pre-orders-sold-out-at-amazon/

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/amazon-already-out-launch-edition-playstation-4-6C10311394

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2013/06/15/sony-playstation-4-launch-edition-already-sold-out-at-amazon/

Multiple news outlets have reported on this already. The new "date" Amazon has for it's second wave is 12-31, which means you wouldn't get it until after Christmas.

-Byshop

xxchadxxchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 xxchadxxchad
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts

[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="Byshop"]

thats funny because you can go on there right now and order one. i just did a few hours ago. launch day delivery. no problem at all. http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Battlefield-Launch-Day-Bundle-4/dp/B00DE2W5XG/ref=sr_tr_sr_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554600&sr=8-2&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Killzone-Launch-Day-Bundle/dp/B00DE2W4PK/ref=sr_tr_sr_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-3&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Knack-Launch-Day-Bundle/dp/B00DE2W33I/ref=sr_tr_sr_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-4&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Watch-Dogs-Launch-Bundle-4/dp/B00DE2W5M2/ref=sr_tr_sr_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-5&keywords=playstation+4 any of those will get you a console on launch day. perhaps actually do some research before you try to sound like a smart ass.Byshop

From your own links:

ps4.JPG

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/06/ps4-launch-edition-pre-orders-sold-out-at-amazon/

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/amazon-already-out-launch-edition-playstation-4-6C10311394

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2013/06/15/sony-playstation-4-launch-edition-already-sold-out-at-amazon/

Multiple news outlets have reported on this already. The new "date" Amazon has for it's second wave is 12-31, which means you wouldn't get it until after Christmas.

-Byshop

I'm pretty sure that they put that date because they don't have a specific release date, as Sony hasn't announced it yet.

Avatar image for brownstephen259
brownstephen259

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 brownstephen259
Member since 2010 • 268 Posts

i think ill never go to an midnight release its just way crazy

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

I'm pretty sure that they put that date because they don't have a specific release date, as Sony hasn't announced it yet.

xxchadxxchad

That is a placeholder date, but Amazon was sending out emails to people who had ordered them quickly letting them know that they are getting "launch" PS4s. People who ordered them later haven't been getting those emails.

That being said, I -hope- that you can still get a launch PS4 from Amazon because I put in my own reservation, but the fact that multiple news organizations reported that they ran out almost a week ago makes one skeptical.

But who knows? There's too much conflicting data to know for sure, but that may change in the coming weeks.

-Byshop

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

3SidedSquare
You have to go early enough to get a good place in line, then you have to find out how many units that store received - usually by flagging down a manager. If they only get 20 and you're 21st in line, might as well go home. That's the problem with preordering from stores that aren't very good with handling preorders. I ordered from Amazon, and for the first time this century, I won't be waiting in line. I'm thrilled about this.
mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mep69
[QUOTE="mep69"]

Ovirew
I know what you mean. I don't think most people would be so impatient that they couldn't wait until the next morning. And a lot of people, because of getting up early for work in the morning and whatnot, probably can't even do it. During that midnight release we went to, it brought some of the weirdos out of the woodwork also. We don't have a really big Gamestop here, but it's a nice store compared to the ones at the malls - I can't imagine how many people were probably waiting there at those ones, if they were open. That said, this is a system release... Maybe it deserves to be a bigger deal than a game release. I don't know if I would go wait outside of Gamestop late at night just to get my PS4 a few hours early. It might be worth it just for the energy of it all, though. Being surrounded by people who are just as excited about delving into the next generation of game consoles as you are. And then when you finally get the console, and get home and plug it in and try it out, you can say you are one of the first people in the world who are experiencing the PS4. And that's a pretty cool thought. Since I work second-shift most days, it might actually be do-able for someone like me. But I still don't know if I'd do it. Again, I could just go to Gamestop the next day. And since we don't have a solid release date yet, it's hard to say if there would be any other obligations for me around that time. I guess since it's late in the year, a lot of people will have sick time that they need to get used up. That might be a good time to do it!

Ye, fair enough. But usually when I preorder a game online I end up getting it a few days earlier anyway. I'll wait and see, The Last of us made me Preorder a PS4 soo lets hope this is good :D Sony should thank Naughty Dog ;)
Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Geminon

[QUOTE="Geminon"][QUOTE="Byshop"]

thats funny because you can go on there right now and order one. i just did a few hours ago. launch day delivery. no problem at all. http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Battlefield-Launch-Day-Bundle-4/dp/B00DE2W5XG/ref=sr_tr_sr_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554600&sr=8-2&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Killzone-Launch-Day-Bundle/dp/B00DE2W4PK/ref=sr_tr_sr_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-3&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Knack-Launch-Day-Bundle/dp/B00DE2W33I/ref=sr_tr_sr_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-4&keywords=playstation+4 http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Watch-Dogs-Launch-Bundle-4/dp/B00DE2W5M2/ref=sr_tr_sr_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371554610&sr=8-5&keywords=playstation+4 any of those will get you a console on launch day. perhaps actually do some research before you try to sound like a smart ass.Byshop

From your own links:

ps4.JPG

-Byshop

you are ****ing hilarious... READ THE PAGE...

"Why is the release date still showing as 12/31/2013?

The manufacturer (Sony Computer Entertainment America) has not yet provided an official release date for the PlayStation 4. As soon as it is announced, we will update the detail page with the date. If you ordered either a Launch Edition or a Launch Bundle, your order will be eligible for Release-Date Delivery."

"Are the Launch Bundles eligible for Release-Date Delivery?
Yes. The Launch Bundles are eligible for Release-Date Delivery."

so much for your "multiple news outlets" bullshit. stop making things up. again, do your research before you try to sound like a smart ass.

MikeMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 MikeMoose
Member since 2005 • 3079 Posts

mep69

It's just the experience man. So much energy and mostly cool people. I've been to plenty of midnight releases with friends and had a blast at all of them.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Byshop  Moderator

you are ****ing hilarious... READ THE PAGE...

"Why is the release date still showing as 12/31/2013?

The manufacturer (Sony Computer Entertainment America) has not yet provided an official release date for the PlayStation 4. As soon as it is announced, we will update the detail page with the date. If you ordered either a Launch Edition or a Launch Bundle, your order will be eligible for Release-Date Delivery."

"Are the Launch Bundles eligible for Release-Date Delivery?
Yes. The Launch Bundles are eligible for Release-Date Delivery."

so much for your "multiple news outlets" bullshit. stop making things up. again, do your research before you try to sound like a smart ass.

Geminon

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=playstation+4+amazon+sold+out

Tell me what every news outlet on the first page says? Everyone has reported that Amazon ran out of their initial run of pre-orders (Forbes, NBC, and other news outlets nobody has every heard of). Nobody has reported that they got more pre-orders alloted to them for sale. The base PS4 Launch Edition on Amazon still shows as unavailable on the site. I ordered one already (not in the first run but after they supposedly ran out) and I haven't gotten a launch day confirmation email like the people who ordered earlier have, so we'll see. As much as you're may be acting like an obnoxious little j@ck@ass, I -hope- that you're right because obviously I'd like to get one sooner rather than later but I don't have a lot of confidence based on all the info to the contrary.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Byshop  Moderator

Ye, fair enough. But usually when I preorder a game online I end up getting it a few days earlier anyway. I'll wait and see, The Last of us made me Preorder a PS4 soo lets hope this is good :D Sony should thank Naughty Dog ;)mep69

The Last of Us isn't going to be on PS4, so why did you pre-order one because of it?

http://ps4daily.com/2013/03/the-last-of-us-playstation-4/

-Byshop

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mep69

[QUOTE="mep69"]Ye, fair enough. But usually when I preorder a game online I end up getting it a few days earlier anyway. I'll wait and see, The Last of us made me Preorder a PS4 soo lets hope this is good :D Sony should thank Naughty Dog ;)Byshop

The Last of Us isn't going to be on PS4, so why did you pre-order one because of it?

http://ps4daily.com/2013/03/the-last-of-us-playstation-4/

-Byshop

What ??? learn to read. "The Last of Us made me Preorder the PS4" meaning I have the Last of Us, I have a PS3 and I love Naughty Dog. Therefore I've preordered a PS4 in hope of getting more quality games from Naughty Dog. ¬_¬ some people.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Byshop  Moderator

What ??? learn to read. "The Last of Us made me Preorder the PS4" meaning I have the Last of Us, I have a PS3 and I love Naughty Dog. Therefore I've preordered a PS4 in hope of getting more quality games from Naughty Dog. ¬_¬ some people.mep69

LOL. I'm sure it made sense in your head, since you and you alone know what you meant. However, for the rest of us, we have to rely on the words that you type into your browser window. The connection between the game PS3 game "The Last of Us" and you wanting a PS4 is a tenuous one at best.

-Byshop

mep69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mep69

[QUOTE="mep69"]What ??? learn to read. "The Last of Us made me Preorder the PS4" meaning I have the Last of Us, I have a PS3 and I love Naughty Dog. Therefore I've preordered a PS4 in hope of getting more quality games from Naughty Dog. ¬_¬ some people.Byshop

LOL. I'm sure it made sense in your head, since you and you alone know what you meant. However, for the rest of us, we have to rely on the words that you type into your browser window. The connection between the game PS3 game "The Last of Us" and you wanting a PS4 is a tenuous one at best.

-Byshop

I like how you and you alone have taken the task of speaking for the whole of the Gamespot forums.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Byshop  Moderator

I like how you and you alone have taken the task of speaking for the whole of the Gamespot forums.mep69

You're absolutely right. I have presumptuously assumed that nobody else in this forum can read your mind over the internet, either. If anyone feels like I have overstepped my bounds by assuming you aren't psychic, please correct me.

-Byshop

bigt503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bigt503
Member since 2010 • 42 Posts

You should be concerned that you are thinking about standing in line at midnight with all the other lonely men. Is getting a new system asap so important that you are willing to risk get trampled by the troll people that live in basements and only see the outside world when big movies or games come out? No, order it online or wait a few days and walk into the store like a gentleman and pick it up.