How come my PS3 can only play in 480P Resolution?? I have an HDTV...and HDMI..

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AllTimeHigh
Member since 2010 • 596 Posts

I keep trying to change the display to 1080P but it keeps going back to 480P. I have a 1080P HDTV and HDMI cable connected...and it's only showing in 480P. Why is this? I have a 360 which uses the same TV and cable, and it works in 1080P...what's the problem here?

ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#2 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

I keep trying to change the display to 1080P but it keeps going back to 480P. I have a 1080P HDTV and HDMI cable connected...and it's only showing in 480P. Why is this? I have a 360 which uses the same TV and cable, and it works in 1080P...what's the problem here?

AllTimeHigh

Have you tried going to display settings and changing the output to HDMI?

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

ThePerro

Yes, that's exactly what I did. But still 480p

Rutzfuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Rutzfuz
Member since 2010 • 1202 Posts

You needto have a HDMI cable and plug it in.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

AllTimeHigh

Make sure check all the boxes including 720P, 1080i/P, ans 1080P in the display settings....

deathxxshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deathxxshark
Member since 2006 • 541 Posts
Make sure the ONLY video cable coming out of your PS3 is the hdmi cable. Unplug all analog video cables. I remember a while back someone on the forums was having trouble because he had analog AV and hdmi plugged in at the same time.
AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AllTimeHigh

Make sure the ONLY video cable coming out of your PS3 is the hdmi cable. Unplug all analog video cables. I remember a while back someone on the forums was having trouble because he had analog AV and hdmi plugged in at the same time.deathxxshark

Yeah, My PS3 only has the HDMI cable on it and nothing else.

deathxxshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deathxxshark

Can you try another hdtv? It will tell us if the problem is the ps3 or your tv.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

[QUOTE="ThePerro"]

Dogswithguns

Make sure check all the boxes including 720P, 1080i/P, ans 1080P in the display settings....

I did all that. Did everything I could and still 480P. Maybe it's my HDMI Cable? Idk....cause it works perfectly fine on my 360. Damn...never thought that getting a game system would cause so many problems. Never had these problems before.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AllTimeHigh

Can you try another hdtv?deathxxshark

I don't have another one. I only have one HDTV.

deathxxshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deathxxshark

Try bringing your ps3 over to a friend's house with an hdtv whenever you have time. Does the SAME hdmi cable give 1080 on your xbox?

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AllTimeHigh

Try bringing your ps3 over to a friend's house with an hdtv whenever you have time. Does the SAME hdmi cable give 1080 on your xbox?

deathxxshark

Yup. The same HDMI cable is plugged into my xbox. And it displays in 1080P.

deathxxshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deathxxshark
Must be something up with the ps3 then.. Or maybe the xbox likes your hdmi cable more.. Do you know what hdmi version your cable is? (1.3a, 1.3b, 1.3c, 1.4). 1.3c is recommended if you're not using 3D (3D requires 1.4). My hdmi cable is version 1.3c and it displays 1080p with my ps3. I guess it could be possible that if your cable is 1.3a or 1.3b, the xbox will still be good with it, but the ps3 wont.
FFVIIROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 FFVIIROCKS
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts

Thats really bizzare. Mine works just fine, alls i do is go into display setting then choose set up display...then i choose that im running through an hdmi, then it give me multiple boxes. 480p 720p 1080i and 1080p. I only check 480p 720p and 1080p (not 1080i....would rather play in 720p then 1080i) and it works like a charm

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AllTimeHigh

Also, when I go to the resolution select screen, the 480P box is grayed out and I can't unselect it for some reason.

deathxxshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deathxxshark

Also, when I go to the resolution select screen, the 480P box is grayed out and I can't unselect it for some reason.

AllTimeHigh
I believe it should be like that.
AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AllTimeHigh

Idk what type of HDMI cable I have...it doesn't even say the model on the box. I mean like idk if it's 1.0 or 1.3C or whatever else there is. All I know is that it's a Dynex HDMI cable that I got from Best Buy.

deathxxshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deathxxshark

Any hdmi cable bought from best buy should have the newest specifications (albeit overpriced imho).. idk. Its probably be a problem on your ps3. The only way to be sure though is to try another hdtv and another cable as those are the only other factors.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AllTimeHigh

Any hdmi cable bought from best buy should have the newest specifications (albeit overpriced imho).. idk. Its probably be a problem on your ps3. The only way to be sure though is to try another hdtv and another cable as those are the only other factors.

deathxxshark

I guess I'll just go to Best Buy and buy another HDMI Cable then....I'll get the PS3 specific ones this time. Never knew there were specific HDMI cables for PS3 until now...

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="deathxxshark"]

AllTimeHigh

Since when can an xbox accept a generic HDMI cable?

ImprovedMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ImprovedMind
Member since 2010 • 738 Posts

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

[QUOTE="deathxxshark"]

Fightingfan

2007. Every single one made since then can. A little behind with the times are we?

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AllTimeHigh

Do you guys think if I used a HDMI cable specifically made for the PS3, it'll fix my problem? I need to know before I go out and buy it...but then again, I'm out of options right now so I basically have to buy it.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

ImprovedMind

2007. Every single one made since then can. A little behind with the times are we?

Then why do I have to use a dongle for TOSLINK on my fat xbox?

ImprovedMind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ImprovedMind
Member since 2010 • 738 Posts

Do you guys think if I used a HDMI cable specifically made for the PS3, it'll fix my problem? I need to know before I go out and buy it...but then again, I'm out of options right now so I basically have to buy it.

AllTimeHigh
There is no such thing as an HDMI cable made for the PS3. I had all kinds of trouble getting my PS3 to work with my television sets, but it just spontaneously started working one day.
kenchen23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kenchen23
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

any hdmi cable should work. i got 5 hdmi cable from monoprice.com for 3 bucks each and theyre fine. have you try auto?

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

ImprovedMind

There is no such thing as an HDMI cable made for the PS3. I had all kinds of trouble getting my PS3 to work with my television sets, but it just spontaneously started working one day.

Same problems as mine? Display problems or something else? And I have a pretty new TV that I got a year ago. The brand is called Insignia and it's one of the best quality HDTV's out there. It would make absolutely NO sense for my PS3 to not work with it. It HAS to be my cable....or at least i hope it's my cable. I'm buying an HDMI cable for PS3 tomorrow. I just searched online and there's actually an HDMI cable for the PS3. It's called Sony - HDMI Cable / USB 2.0 Cable Pack for PlayStation 3.

Sorry the font is so big. I copied and pasted and it turned out to be like that. I copied it straight from the Best Buy website. And it's gotten good reviews, so I'm pretty sure it'll work. It says it's a 1080p compatible and my TV is 1080P so it HAS to work....if it doesn't, then I'm selling my PS3.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

[QUOTE="deathxxshark"]

AllTimeHigh

I guess I'll just go to Best Buy and buy another HDMI Cable then....I'll get the PS3 specific ones this time. Never knew there were specific HDMI cables for PS3 until now...

I wouldn't do that (yet). There is no special HDMI cable that the PS3 requires, I have a $5 one from amazon that works perfectly. If you have a working HDMi it should be fine.

From what you were saying about the "how come I can't uncheck the 480P box" it sounds more like maybe some of your settings are messed up. Make sure that your PS3 is set to AUTOMATICALLY detect the resolution and that ALL resolutions are checked (including the 480P which cannot be unchecked). There is no reason to UNcheck anything, just let the PS3 choose the best resolution. If you uncheck 720P or 1080i then the only option is 480P or 1080P, but many games do not support 1080P upscaling. So if you have the other resolutions unchecked it will of course go down to 480P because that is what you are telling your PS3 that your TV supports. Probably half PS3 games are 720P and do not support the PS3 upscaling to 1080P, so this means that if you only check 480P and 1080P that at least half of PS3 games with this setting would choose 480P resolution.

So like i said, just let the PS3 choose the optimal resolution automatically. It will either be 720P or 1080P. Don't worry if a game comes out as 720P as that is the games native resolution anyway, so it will look exactly the same whether the PS3 scales it to 1080P or the TV scales it to 1080P.

Avatar image for deactivated-61898903867d0
deactivated-61898903867d0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-61898903867d0
Member since 2003 • 545 Posts

[QUOTE="ImprovedMind"][QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

AllTimeHigh

Same problems as mine? Display problems or something else? And I have a pretty new TV that I got a year ago. The brand is called Insignia and it's one of the best quality HDTV's out there. It would make absolutely NO sense for my PS3 to not work with it. It HAS to be my cable....or at least i hope it's my cable. I'm buying an HDMI cable for PS3 tomorrow. I just searched online and there's actually an HDMI cable for the PS3. It's called Sony - HDMI Cable / USB 2.0 Cable Pack for PlayStation 3.

Sorry the font is so big. I copied and pasted and it turned out to be like that. I copied it straight from the Best Buy website. And it's gotten good reviews, so I'm pretty sure it'll work. It says it's a 1080p compatible and my TV is 1080P so it HAS to work....if it doesn't, then I'm selling my PS3.

Have you tried a different HDMI socket on your TV?

And also try doing the PS3 display reset by holding down the power button for 5 seconds?

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

[QUOTE="deathxxshark"]

2Chalupas

I wouldn't do that (yet). There is no special HDMI cable that the PS3 requires, I have a $5 one from amazon that works perfectly. If you have a working HDMi it should be fine.

From what you were saying about the "how come I can't uncheck the 480P box" it sounds more like maybe some of your settings are messed up. Make sure that your PS3 is set to AUTOMATICALLY detect the resolution and that ALL resolutions are checked (including the 480P which cannot be unchecked). There is no reason to UNcheck anything, just let the PS3 choose the best resolution. If you uncheck 720P or 1080i then the only option is 480P or 1080P, but many games do not support 1080P upscaling. So if you have the other resolutions unchecked it will of course go down to 480P because that is what you are telling your PS3 that your TV supports. Probably half PS3 games are 720P and do not support the PS3 upscaling to 1080P. This does not really matter anyway, as if you have 1080P TV it will most certainly do the work to upscale 720P to fit the 1080P screen). So like i said, just let the PS3 choose the optimal resolution automatically, if you tried to manually put in the resolutions then that could be what is causing it to go down to 480P.

I tried to do it automatically, and it still goes down to 480P. It's basically telling me that 480P is the highest resolution it can go. Which makes absolutely no sense because my TV is a 1080P tv...but then again my HDMI cable was made in 2007. So I guess I need to buy a newer one that was made this year...

theslugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 theslugs
Member since 2010 • 305 Posts

Make sure your tv is setup with the right options as well since it is possible that the tv is preventing your wanted resolution from being an option.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

[QUOTE="ImprovedMind"] There is no such thing as an HDMI cable made for the PS3. I had all kinds of trouble getting my PS3 to work with my television sets, but it just spontaneously started working one day. stlab

Have you tried a different HDMI socket on your TV?

And also try doing the PS3 display reset by holding down the power button for 5 seconds?

Haven't tried using a different HDMI socket but I doubt it's gonna change anything. Or maybe it will. I'll try that, thanks. If it doesn't work, I'll just buy the Sony HDMI Cable which costs freakin $60....but it's worth a try. That's the only option I have...and if that doesn't work, then I'm selling my PS3. I'm not gonna play games in low quality 480P. Defeats the whole purpose of getting a PS3.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AllTimeHigh

Make sure your tv is setup with the right options as well since it is possible that the tv is preventing your wanted resolution from being an option.

theslugs

I guess so...but then wouldn't that mean that my 360 won't be able to display in 1080P? Cause I have a 360 with the same HDMI cable hooked up and it shows in 1080P. Crystal clear display.

theslugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 theslugs
Member since 2010 • 305 Posts

[QUOTE="theslugs"]

AllTimeHigh

I guess so...but then wouldn't that mean that my 360 won't be able to display in 1080P? Cause I have a 360 with the same HDMI cable hooked up and it shows in 1080P. Crystal clear display.

true true, i completely missed what was right in front of me. But since you're almost at spending money or selling the system i'd run through them just in case. I dont know your tv but it might recognize what is plugged in and remember settings? maybe, maybe not?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-61898903867d0

[QUOTE="theslugs"]

AllTimeHigh

have you tried doing the PS3 display reset by holding down the power button for 5 seconds(let go when you hear the 2 beeps)?

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

[QUOTE="theslugs"]

stlab

have you tried doing the PS3 display reset by holding down the power button for 5 seconds(let go when you hear the 2 beeps)?

No, I have not. I'll try that now.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Can you give us the model of your tv? It should have a sticker somewhere on the back or under a little flip cover on the front or side.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
Well you can get a new HDMI cable. But there is absolutely no reason to get a $60 cable. I have a $5 cable from Amazon that works fine. I have seen generic cables go bad though. The one on my blu ray player (amazon brand) all of a sudden started having all kinds of snowy artifacts while playing (probably about 3 months old), but when I swapped the cable out everything worked fine again. I've tried a few different brands. The one I use for my PS3 are the "Fanatic Digital" ones that look almost like a blue nylon jump rope. When I got them they were sold as "BlueRigger" but based on the pictures on amazon they look more like the ones sold as fanatic digital now, I don't know what's up with that. They're definitely generic cables though...
AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AllTimeHigh

I tried resetting but I'm staring at a blank screen. Nothing's showing up....Is this normal?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-61898903867d0

I tried resetting but I'm staring at a blank screen. Nothing's showing up....Is this normal?

AllTimeHigh

No its not normal, which PS3 do you have FAT or SLIM?

Which cables you got plugged into PS3? That sounds like it doesn't know which cable to select.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

stlab

No its not normal, which PS3 do you have FAT or SLIM?

Which cables you got plugged into PS3? That sounds like it doesn't know which cable to select.

Idk which PS3, I have. I think it's slim. I got the new one. I got an HDMI Cable plugged into the PS3....and nothing's showing up. It's a blank screen. Damn...too many problems. First display problems now there is no display. Shows absolutely nothing.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AllTimeHigh

I actually tried resetting the display settings when my Video Output cables weren't even connected. I think that's the reason why my screen is blank. It screwed it up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-61898903867d0

I actually tried resetting the display settings when my Video Output cables weren't even connected. I think that's the reason why my screen is blank. It screwed it up.

AllTimeHigh

Try reset again with only HDMI and power cable plugged in.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

stlab

I tried..and still no display shows up. But the weird thing is that I just unplugged the HDMI cables and replaced it with low quality composite cables and the display showed up....so my HDMI cable is messed up??? If it is, then how the heck did it work when I first started up the system?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-61898903867d0

[QUOTE="stlab"]

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

AllTimeHigh

I tried..and still no display shows up. But the weird thing is that I just unplugged the HDMI cables and replaced it with low quality composite cables and the display showed up....so my HDMI cable is messed up??? If it is, then how the heck did it work when I first started up the system?

With the PS3 and your TV on, Plug in your HDMI cable, DONT unplug your composite cable, go to display settings - Select HDMI output and Resolution 720p, 1080p etc then change your TV channel. If its successful, you can then unplug your composite cable.

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

[QUOTE="stlab"]

stlab

With the PS3 and your TV on, Plug in your HDMI cable, DONT unplug your composite cable, go to display settings - Select HDMI output and Resolution 720p, 1080p etc then change your TV channel. If its successful, you can then unplug your composite cable.

Didn't work...I think my HDMI cables don't work well with the PS3. My HDMI cable is almost 4 years old. I guess I'll just have to buy the Sony HDMI cables...hopefully that'll work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-61898903867d0

[QUOTE="stlab"]

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

AllTimeHigh

Didn't work...I think my HDMI cables don't work well with the PS3. My HDMI cable is almost 4 years old. I guess I'll just have to buy the Sony HDMI cables...hopefully that'll work.

With everything you've done definately sounds like the HDMI cable, hopefully the Sony lead will work or even try getting one that specifically says HDMI 1.3. Good Luck :)

AllTimeHigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AllTimeHigh

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

[QUOTE="stlab"]

stlab

With everything you've done definately sounds like the HDMI cable, hopefully the Sony lead will work or even try getting one that specifically says HDMI 1.3. Good Luck :)

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it :) I'll come back tomorrow with the latest "News". Lol. Oh and btw, which HDMI cables do you use? And what kind of TV do you have?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-61898903867d0

[QUOTE="stlab"]

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

AllTimeHigh

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it :) I'll come back tomorrow with the latest "News". Lol. Oh and btw, which HDMI cables do you use? And what kind of TV do you have?

Your welcome :) Ive got a Panasonic 40inch 1080p LCD and Im using a Phillips HDMI cable 1.3 similar to this one - http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Philips-SWV2432W-27-6Ft-Hdmi-Cable-6339535.html

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts

[QUOTE="stlab"]

[QUOTE="AllTimeHigh"]

AllTimeHigh

"Sony" HDMI cables are a rip off, do yourself a favor and get one off of Amazon. I got this a year a go and it's worked fine for me.