You think old school Sonic games should be remade?

Thug2Wasteland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Thug2Wasteland
Member since 2005 • 1051 Posts

Considering the fact sonic gotten medicore for the past few years, sonic's real sucess came from his old days. Some fans actually like the new games, but if your a true blure die hard fan: then you should go for old school. Games that are meant to be remade with some new aspects like "sonic the hedgehog 1991" as well as "sonic the hedgehog 2" should all be remade. With a remake, sonic is able to do homing attack as well as playable chars from the death egg saga. Anyways...if it was meant to be a remake then it should look like this...

First Screenshot 

Second Screenshot 

Notice that sega is not even behind of this rumor "sonic 2 hd" is developed by sonic retro a good wewbsite for good programmers, i believe sega ought to learn  thing or 2 about them. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
No. The classic games are great as they are. There's no reason to introdoce new characters and attacks, and updating the graphics makes a poor reason for a remake.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts

I think they could use some graphical enhancing. Put them on DS. That'd be cool.

But not throw in stuff to wreck it (*cough* SONIC GENESIS *cough*).

Thug2Wasteland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thug2Wasteland
Technically true, no new charcters are needed to be in a remake, but new graphical updates seem to be but a good optional with the same BG level but a new level design take a look at new super mario bros they did a good reamake.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#5 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
New Super Mario Bros. was NOT a remake. It was a totally new game. Again, NOT a remake. Just wanna straighten things out.
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Oh, that's a tricky one. Remaking them, on one hand, would be some nice fanservice. On the other, it takes out some of the nostalgia factor. Also, with all the re-releasing Sega does of the series, it probably wouldn't sell to well. From a software developer standpoint (yay real world experience), I know I personally wouldn't want to do it as part of a company in trouble in this economy. There are much more potentially profitable things to be doing, that would probably get done MUCH faster since the developers would be interested in creating something new rather than editing/rewriting legacy code. (Oh, God, legacy code SUCKS....) In the long run, I'd probably have to say no, then
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#7 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts

no. leave them alone. you alter, you alienate. simple as that.

oh and I doubt SEGA will learn anything from the Sonic Retro team. If they see that it's going down, SEGA will issue a cease and knockitoff order.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#8 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
No way leave the old school games as they are SEGA would probably end up wrecking them if they did that.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#9 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

I hate remakes. They're lazy. All you do is take an existing game that's more than likely already available for download on VC. XBLA and PSN. If you're going to remake something, don't remake something everyone has already played, remake something that didn't get a chance the first time like Klonoa for the Wii but even that's pushing it. For me, it was nice as I didn't play it the first time around. But everyone's played Sonic 2, not to mention there's a gazillion Sega collections out there where you can play it, it's downloadable on the VC , XBLA and Gametap.

No what a lot of us want Sega to do is make Sonic the Hedgehog 4 in the vein of Megaman 9. A downloadable old school sidescroller with new levels (they can use some of the lost levels of Sonic 2). No stupid gimmicks like werehogs, swords or guns. No annoying friends butting in aside from maybe Tails or Knuckles and even then, that should be optional. No long, drawn out, poorly done cutscenes with bad voice acting a pointless story we don't care about. Just Sonic running fast in 2D. If they don't want the retro graphics, that's fine.

Avatar image for -SpikyBlueHero-
-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 -SpikyBlueHero-
Member since 2007 • 2176 Posts

I think they could use some graphical enhancing. Put them on DS. That'd be cool.

But not throw in stuff to wreck it (*cough* SONIC GENESIS *cough*).Cloud_765

I've been waiting for a "Sonic Mega Collection DS" of sorts, actually, seeing as a true portable Sonic compilation hasn't been released yet. But, knowing SEGA, they'd most likely omit Sonic 3 and S&K as almost always is the case with the other Mega Drive compilations. If something of that nature would surface, HOPEFULLY (caps), SEGA had learnt from that StH Genesis blunder.

As for the remaking of Sonic 2, if Sonic Retro wants to tackle the project, by any means, we should support them. After all, once it's finished, all of us should be able to play it for free. However, I agree with Chocolate in that if SEGA itself would shoulder something like this, the end result could be ugly. Fifteen years later, somehow, SEGA's still having difficulty (or just downright apathy) in porting Mega Drive games, so I'd want that problem resolved first before any "remake" business takes place.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kbaily

For those who think old Sonic games should be remade, may I present Spikey's review of Sonic Genesis. Such wonderful, horrible crap.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?topic_id=26608945&union_id=4363

I'm still looking forward to your Sonic Jam for the Game.com review Spikey.

Avatar image for -SpikyBlueHero-
-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 -SpikyBlueHero-
Member since 2007 • 2176 Posts

If it means I'm required to spend more "quality" time with that game, I'mcertainly not looking forward to it, that's for sure. ;)

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 157

#13 loopy_101
Member since 2005 • 28044 Posts
Only as HD versions like with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix.
LuigiRulze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 LuigiRulze
Member since 2009 • 847 Posts
Totally like Cloud said throw in some new graphics and put it on the DS
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#15 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I hate most remakes Super Mario Bros 3 is an exception with updated graphics,a save system on the Super Mario All Stars and Super Mario Advance 4.

Most remakes end up bad which is why they should be left alone.

Thug2Wasteland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thug2Wasteland

I hate most remakes Super Mario Bros 3 is an exception with updated graphics,a save system on the Super Mario All Stars and Super Mario Advance 4.

Most remakes end up bad which is why they should be left alone.

chocolate1325
What if nintendo did a partnership with sega, most likley i think it will be good
Thug2Wasteland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Thug2Wasteland

For those who think old Sonic games should be remade, may I present Spikey's review of Sonic Genesis. Such wonderful, horrible crap.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/read_article.php?topic_id=26608945&union_id=4363

I'm still looking forward to your Sonic Jam for the Game.com review Spikey.

kbaily
That's emulation (when you put a game into a different console and or handheld), when i mean the word "remake" I totally mean a total graphic update, and maybe some extra levels just sonic, no new charcter crap, most likley sega nor some people get the point in the word "remake"
Avatar image for RidersInThe-Sky
RidersInThe-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 RidersInThe-Sky
Member since 2008 • 918 Posts
Remakes are unnecessary, easy to make filler meant to remind you that nothing good is currently coming out of a franchise so all that needs to be done is repaint the old. The only remakes that work are the ones that improve on the build of an original that no longer stands the test of time (ex.= Nights into Dreams (Japan only)(PS2), Klonoa (Wii), Conker: Live and Reloaded (Xbox) Prince of Persia Classic (360)). If a game is heralded as a classic but out of date than bringing it into the 21st century can be cool. Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 and CD however, control perfectly, are well designed and look no worse than a low-end GBA game, so how could they possibly benefit from being remade other than an unnecessary graphical touch up? All it'll do is divert time, money, and energy that could have gone into making something decent for the first time in 3 years.
drewski4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#19 drewski4u
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts

Hey, Xbox Live remade those old school sonic games!

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kbaily

Hey, Xbox Live remade those old school sonic games!

drewski4u

Those are remakes. Those are downloadable ports with a coating of HD glossed over.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#21 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts
yeah. essentially it's just a rom run through the 2xKai filter. The same one that almost all emulators use to eliminate visible pixels. There's nothing HD about it.