Hyrule4EVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 Hyrule4EVER
Member since 2009 • 632 Posts

Y'know, we always assume Sonic will never be accepted on any of the podiums as Game of the year. Whether it be crappy plugs like Spike or respected but artsy awards like the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences, Sonic remains the underdog. But that suits him, he doesn't need a medal to prove he's cool.

But still I feel injustice has been done, what about those clasic Sonic games made before Game awards came into being? Well, I'm gonna rectify that problem with a little time travel back to the early nineties, and we're taking the game awards with us! (uh oh)

But first, some rules. With the exception of the prized GOTY award, these awards are for console games only. No Amiga's allowed! Also, for the sake of clarification, I'm going to follow NA release dates and titles.

The envelope please...

1991:

Best Sega Genesis game:

Sonic the hedgehog

Best New Character:

Sonic the hedgehog

Special Achievement in platforming innovation:

Sonic the hedgehog (before sonic, "platformers" was a literal term indeed)

GOTY:

Nominated!  ...but lost to Civilization/Final Fantasy II/Another World/Neverwinter Nights/Super Mario World (take your pick)

1992:

Best Sega Genesis game:

Sonic 2

Best New Character:

Miles Tails Prower

GOTY:

Nominated again!  ...but lost to Ultima VII/Wolfenstein 3D/Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis/Mortal Kombat/Flashback (again, take your pick)

1993:

Most innovative game:

Sonic CD ...was going to win, but then a game called StarFox came out.

Best Sega CD game:

Take a guess

1994:

Special Achievement for Technical Innovation:

Sonic & Knuckles (Lock on technology)

Best Sega Genesis Game:

Sonic 3

Best New Character:

Earthworm Jim... wait, what?

GOTY:

Sonic 3! Wahoo!

(Note: the other possible contenders were Master of Orion, Wing Commander III, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid and Final Fantasy III.)

And because some Video Game Awards can't be taken seriously...

The Super Sonic Spike VGA Awards!:

Most Anticipated Game:

Sonic Adventure

Most Anticipated Game:

Sonic Adventure 2

Most Anticipated Game:

Sonic Mega Collection

Most Anticipated Game:

Sonic Next Gen...

I think you see where I'm going with this.

So yeah, while it can be contested as to whether or not it would win GOTY in the nineties (the results above are just my opinion on how it would turn out), I think Sonic would have more then just a fighting chance.

Sonic back then was GOTY material, and he can still be now. But the real question is, will he? (and more importantly, how?)

We'll see.Â