My top ten list of the all time Worst Sonic games....

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

User Lists: 0

#1 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

After Screwattack's list I was inspired to write my own top ten list of all the time worst Sonic games. Most of these I've played or at least know enough people who played them. Also I ahere to the rule of "Have to be able to play as Sonic" meaning Tails's Skypatrol and Shadow the Hedgehog will be left out but they both sucked as well. Here we go.

#10. Sonic Spinball (Game Gear) Take note this is the Game Gear version of this. The Genesis version wasn't that great but at least was servicable but the GG port was glitchy, hard to control and had terrible music, plus the game only had four levels and really with other Sonic games having Pinball physics, this should've been great but in the end, it was a rushed piece of work put out to make money off Sonic's populairity.

#9. Sonic R (Saturn) Believe it or not, this game has fans but I'm sorry you have to have more than five tracks to have a good racing game or the fun wears off. When this came out it was interesting for about five minutes but seeing as how a better 3D racer on a catridge (Mario Kart 64) made this look like nothing more than a half-assed Mario Kart knockoff and it brought about the dreaded Tails Doll curse! Aaaaaa!

#8. Sonic Drift (Game Gear) Possibly the first and most blatant Mario Kart knockoff. It makes sense that Sega would do the Mario Kart thing with Sonic but they only brought it out for the Game Gear? You only had four racers to choose from and the controls were terribly and courses were bland. SD2 offered a slight improvement but neither had people flocking to Sega's handheld.

#7. Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn/Genesis) The Sonic game with the stupidest premise. Sonic has to save a bunch of Flicky Birds by running around an isometictric 45 degree top down angle and had to destroy every enemy to move on. Sonic moved around like he was on riddalin. This was the exact moment the series began to go downhill. Sonic had a great triology on the Genesis but began his life on the Saturn horribly. Plus it wasn't even and exclusive to the Saturn.

#6. Sonic Blast (Game Gear) Also titled "Squeeze the last drop of life out of the dying Game Gear," released along side 3D Blast, Sonic Blast was the only game where Knuckles was playable and Sonic and Knuckles were fully rendered in 3D but on the GG, they looked horrible and were twice as big as the backgrounds. The levels were short and uninspired and the final boss was insanely hard.

#5. Sonic Shuffle (Dreamcast) Sonic once again tried to knockoff a Mario game and horribly. Imagine Mario party with a stupid story and long long long load times. Also characters moved around the board by shuffling cards making it possible to beat a board without playing a single mini game which is the point of party games. While SA1 and 2 got ported, Shuffle died with the Dreamcast thank God.

#4. Sonic Jam (Game.com) It is actually considered the worst Sonic game but it was on a system that few people heard of or owned so it doesn't matter but it was still awful. Tiger's Game.com was meant to compete with the Gameboy in terms of a black and white handheld game. Somehow Sega got suckered into making games for it and we got an ugly black and white mess of a game that for the most part is forgotten.

#3. Sonic Labyrinth (Game Gear) Oh no! Dr. Robotnick has cursed Sonic with a set of shoes that make him slow, at least that's what the back of the box said in order to justify Sonic walking slowly through a boring maze game collecting keys. Imagine if Sonic and Marble Maddess had an ugly, retarded child. That's Sonic Labyrinth. I'd also like to point out how bad Sonic's games on Sega's handheld were considering nowadays his best games are on handhelds.

#2. Sonic the Hedeghog: Genesis (GBA) Just a practice in the unessicary. I mean you can play the original game on the VC, Xbox Live, Gametap, as well as one of the many Mega collections out there. Did we really need this crummy port? Sure you could save and do the spin dash in the original Sonic but the game was so horribly glitchy that it now resides in bargain bins along with games based on "That's so Raven" and "Hannah Montanna" and those are still more playable.

#1. Sonic the Hedgehog (360/PS3) I have to make this #1. Sure those others are worse but Sonic Next Gen was like the Holocaust for Sonic fans because we all died inside after playing it. Playing Sonic Next Gen, you get the same feeling watching "Shindler's List" you ask yourself "how could something so horrible be unleashed on mankind?" Poised to be Sonic's return to glory, the game was an unfinished mess of bad controls, glitches, load times and furry undertones. It's gotten more attention than it ever deserves but because of all the broken promises and shattered dreams it brought, I had to give it the top spot.

Please read what I wrote about each game before complaining back and feel free to do your own top ten list. I will also do a top ten best list later.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#2 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
If you want to see mine check my blog post.
haga11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 haga11111
Member since 2007 • 8876 Posts
Well, I mostly agree with both of your lists. I wish I could un-download Sonic 3d Blast from my Wi. I hate it. I noticed that sonic pinball party wasn't on either of your lists. I guess it's ok... But it's not good. I'm gonna go play sonic 3 now.
xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I can't say I agree with Sonic the Hedgehog 360/PS3. I have it, and have beaten the whole thing and I personally think it's not that bad, but it's not incredible either. To me it's a decent game that gets hated too much.

Sonic the hedgehog 360/PS3 is like the Holocaust? Wow, that is pretty harsh.

SonicBoom344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 SonicBoom344
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts
I'm still deciding about getting Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). I liked all the other Sonic Adventures, and this looks like it plays similar. I don't see what's wrong with it but most reviews say it is absolutely horrible.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#6 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

I'm still deciding about getting Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). I liked all the other Sonic Adventures, and this looks like it plays similar. I don't see what's wrong with it but most reviews say it is absolutely horrible.SonicBoom344

Well you can get the game real cheap now at about $20 (less if used) but here's all the problems that plagued it.

Long load times: There's a load screen between every scene in the game, start a town mission, finish a town mission, leave a city, between cutscenes, before boss fights, before stage results, after stage results, even those who loved the game complained of too many load screens.

Sloppy controls: The controls in Sonic 06 are actually WORSE than the other 3D Sonic games. It actually makes you wish you were playing Shadow's game. I died five times playing the store demo. I smashed a crate and fell off the cliff. I tried to jump while grinding to get through a ring and fell off into a pit. Really Sonic needs to be able to grab ledges. That alone would save a ton of cheap deaths.

Bad camera: Something that's plagued every 3D Sonic game from the original adventure and seems 10x worse like in the snowboarding level the camera angle abruptly changes direction causing you to veer off of cliffs.

Glitches, glitches glitches: A sign that this game is unfinished is that it's terribly glitchy at times. There's a stage where Shadow is driving a hovercraft and if you don't start just right, he crashes and dies. Throughout the cities people flicker in and out and the dub work isn't that good. There are times where characters mouths are moving and nothing is coming out.

Boring city quests: They brought back the hub areas of Sonic Adventure and put in some sidequests which would've been fun but the quests presented aren't that interesting or fun and full of load screens. Plus the city design is awful. It's totally devoid of life. In Twighlight Princess (a game on a less powerfull system) Hyrule Town is full of life with various people walking all over the place. Sonic should have colorful cities populated by people and anthropomorphs like himself. And the people look very last gen.

Lame Friends: Where originally we were told that we'd only play as Sonic, Shadow and Silver, you end up playing as Tails, Knuckles, Rouge, Blaze and Omega, and some of these guys control terribly. Don't even try to get Tails to fly and instead of rolling up in a ball to attack, he throws this stupid ring box that doesn't even work. Who thought that was a good idea? Silver is the most playable but even he can't throw boxes very far with his mind powers.

Lame Story: The story is bad even by Sonic standards mainly because someone had the idea that Sonic and a human girl should have a romantic relationship. First of all that's a slap in the face to Amy because Sonic always acted like he didn't want a relationship at all and secondly it's just creepy and the sort of thing that only appeals to furries.

If you want to pick it up, at least it's dirt cheap now but you've been warned.

haga11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 haga11111
If I had a 360/PS3, I'd rent it... also, you are wrong. Sonic and the Secret Rings, one of Sonic's 3D games, doesn't have bad camera issues, like you said all 3D Sonics did.
Avatar image for deactivated-59be76f5a5388
deactivated-59be76f5a5388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 deactivated-59be76f5a5388
Member since 2006 • 11372 Posts

If I had a 360/PS3, I'd rent it... also, you are wrong. Sonic and the Secret Rings, one of Sonic's 3D games, doesn't have bad camera issues, like you said all 3D Sonics did.haga11111

Actually, it does have a slightly bad camera. You can't see what's going on behind you.

haga11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 haga11111

[QUOTE="haga11111"]If I had a 360/PS3, I'd rent it... also, you are wrong. Sonic and the Secret Rings, one of Sonic's 3D games, doesn't have bad camera issues, like you said all 3D Sonics did.Hyper_Hedgehog

Actually, it does have a slightly bad camera. You can't see what's going on behind you.

true. you only can when it switches angle, but then you can't see in ffront of you, which is only bad when there are obstacles ahead.
Avatar image for deactivated-59be76f5a5388
deactivated-59be76f5a5388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 deactivated-59be76f5a5388
Member since 2006 • 11372 Posts
[QUOTE="Hyper_Hedgehog"]

[QUOTE="haga11111"]If I had a 360/PS3, I'd rent it... also, you are wrong. Sonic and the Secret Rings, one of Sonic's 3D games, doesn't have bad camera issues, like you said all 3D Sonics did.haga11111

true. you only can when it switches angle, but then you can't see in ffront of you, which is only bad when there are obstacles ahead.

Still, it has the best camera of 3D Sonic.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#11 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
[QUOTE="haga11111"][QUOTE="Hyper_Hedgehog"]

[QUOTE="haga11111"]If I had a 360/PS3, I'd rent it... also, you are wrong. Sonic and the Secret Rings, one of Sonic's 3D games, doesn't have bad camera issues, like you said all 3D Sonics did.Hyper_Hedgehog

Still, it has the best camera of 3D Sonic.

So true