dandymarsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 dandymarsh
Member since 2003 • 958 Posts
More of a census here. Are you a SEGA Sonic Fan or an Archie Sonic Fan? Bear in mind the key differences. SEGA Sonic is the Sonic you enjoy from the (good) games, also loosely related to the first 52 episodes of SonicX. Archie Sonic is the Sonic you enjoyed as you did on Sonic's Saturday morning cartoons. His "Adventures" and his time spent "Underground". NO Prejudice will be made, please. It's just a general survey of my curiosity. You may leave secret comments in font colour #212640. Inspired by this Joystiq Article: Sonic Universe #6: The Unofficial Sonic Fandom Test(I personally don't enjoy Sonic fighting it out with 2 or 3 girlfriends in the comic books. I'm a SEGA Sonic Fan.)
kjhg53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 kjhg53
Member since 2008 • 30455 Posts
I guess games cause I never have read the comics.
ChildOfGaming7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ChildOfGaming7
Member since 2008 • 1009 Posts
I'm kinda both. I like the games (when they don't annoy me) and the comics :)
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#4 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Though I watched my share of SatAM and occasionally thumbed through the comics, I don't really pick one over the other. Though I still think Sega could learn something from the comics in terms of story and we all agree that if Sega was smart they'd hire some comic writers to write the stories for their games, even with the lack of pivitol comic characters like Sally, they would still be able to write something more competent that what passes for story in most modern games.

Of course one downfall with liking the comics is, they're quite popular with the "furries" and it doesn't help when the artists tend to make characters like Sally and Bunnie a bit too "shapely" if you get my drift.

However I see that Silver has now been added to the Sonic comic universe, at least in this 30 year future spinoff when Sonic and Sally are married and Sonic's the king now. Though they must have weird hedgehog/squirell mutant children now. LOL Then again there's been plenty of cross species romance in the Sonic universe and as long as Sonic's not trying to bang a human, no one minds.

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts

I have to say the games. I mean the comics had even more forgettable characters than the games. I almost always forget that Antonio guy... thing... whatever. :|

As bad as some of the games are, I at least can get a thrillride from some of them, so I'll stick with the games. ;)

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#6 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

The other thing the comics and cartoons did that I wish the current games still did was Mobius. One reason people love games like Mario and Zelda and World of Warcraft is that they take place in fantastic fantasy worlds you can get lost in. Before Sonic Adventure changed everything to be more in sync with the Japanese origins, in the US and Europe, Sonic lived on planet Mobius, a cool world with art deco trees and checkered cliffs where Robotnick was the only human (save for Snively in the cartoons of course) and everyone else were talking animals. Mobius was a fun fantasy world you could get lost in.

Then came Sonic Adventure and Mobius was gone. Robotnick was Eggman. At least with Princess Toadstool becoming Princess Peach, most just assume that the Princess is going by her first name now with her full name being Princess Peach Toadstool, but the Japanese developers wanted smooth continutiy between the series in Japan and the US now so we're stuck with Eggman Though I did like his redesign to make him look more like a scientist as opposed to a giant balloon man. But this is where some of the problems started because suddenly everyone in the US and Europe were like "what happened to Mobius?" "Eggman?" "Why does Sonic's world look more realistic?" "What's with all the humans wandering around?"

And that brings me to my point is that I wish the games would just say that Sonic's world is Mobius. I hate this alternate reality Earth crap. Sonic looks stupid hanging around with humans (want proof? Sonic X). Now I'm not saying Sonic's world can have humans, we need some justification for Eggman's presence I guess, but I want Sonic's world to be more exotic like the Mushroom Kingdom or Hyrule or Azeroth where you have various races of creatures all about. If Sonic's going to run around a city hub world talking to people, I want more anthropomorphs wandering around. It's looks incongruous and sloppy to have a blue, talking hedgehog wanding around a city full of nothing but people and no one surprised. And if talking animals are commonplace in Sonic's world, don't you think some would be living in the cities and if not that, wouldn't there be a village or town where all the animal residents live?

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
That was one thing I liked about the changes they made. They made Eggman look... just more awesome. His redesign made him look more fearsome.
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts
I like both, although the comics explain things better than the games most of the time.
Avatar image for RidersInThe-Sky
RidersInThe-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 RidersInThe-Sky
Member since 2008 • 918 Posts

Comics all the way purely for the reason of consistency. Argue about quality all you may but what the comics have succeeded in over the games is being able to not consistently suck. The storylines are well thought out and the cast of characters, as large as they are, are well defined and don;t take the limelight away from the true protagonist of the series. Characters in the Archie continuity only act or appear when their pressence is actually called for. Most of the story arcs are intriguing and the action (especially with Tracey Yardley as the new artist) is very well drawn. It's like reading a stylish Saturday morning cartoon every month.

On the flip side, I no longer care about what comes out of the Video Game series. All I'm waiting for is for Bioware to finish the Chronicles story. Otherwise the games have been of sporadically low quality for about 4 years with no sign of improvement. The games are nothing but a cash-cow, the comics atleast maintain some form of quality control.

sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
I enjoyed the comics. They were decently written and tied in anything that came out of videogames as "plot cannon" pretty well without disrupting their own little universe. I speak in the past tense because I don't read them anymore as I'm a college student and have more important things to spend my money on (like food :-P ). Still, despite the comics being well written by people who seriously depend on good writing for their salaries, they don't provide and interactive, escapist form of entertainment I can get from playing a level in a videogame. Oh, on the Mobius node, I'll give Sonic X credit for one thing. (my younger brother has discovered it and has been watching reruns in order every Saturday, two at a time, in the room where I use my computer, in case you're wondering how I suddenly know so much about it recently). They did a really slick job of explaining the whole Robotnik in Mobius thing. Quoth Eggman, "Wait... that means that this alternate Earth world is the one I was BORN IN?" They nicely wrap up the conclusion to that plot twist in all the ridiculous sci-fi of the SA2 plotline.
ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 ktulu007
Member since 2004 • 41725 Posts
I enjoy both, with the exception of a lot of the newer games.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c35826ea3913
deactivated-5c35826ea3913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#12 deactivated-5c35826ea3913
Member since 2004 • 5298 Posts
I'm more of a game fan. I liked SatAM but never really read the comics. However, the poll option says "esp Sonic Adventure"...I don't like Sonic Adventure.
Avatar image for deactivated-59be76f5a5388
deactivated-59be76f5a5388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 deactivated-59be76f5a5388
Member since 2006 • 11372 Posts
I can't get the comics.
Bluegreen17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#14 Bluegreen17
Member since 2009 • 1061 Posts
I said the comics. I surreptitiously read them whenever I get the chance. I quite like the variety of characters.
Avatar image for Shadow_Olimar23
Shadow_Olimar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shadow_Olimar23
Member since 2005 • 1340 Posts

I'm neutral as I do enjoy the comics and I enjoy the games...

But right now...

I'm sliding toward the comics...

Avatar image for deactivated-5bcb8ec2e27a5
deactivated-5bcb8ec2e27a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#16 deactivated-5bcb8ec2e27a5
Member since 2008 • 886 Posts

I don't really care as long as it's good.

ktulu007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 ktulu007
Member since 2004 • 41725 Posts

But right now...

Shadow_Olimar23

Let me guess: Because of Sonic '06, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and the Black Knight, etc... 

Avatar image for Shadow_Olimar23
Shadow_Olimar23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shadow_Olimar23
Member since 2005 • 1340 Posts
[QUOTE="Shadow_Olimar23"]

But right now...

ktulu007

Let me guess: Because of Sonic '06, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic and the Black Knight, etc... 

Yes!

Avatar image for deactivated-58df4522915cb
deactivated-58df4522915cb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 deactivated-58df4522915cb
Member since 2007 • 5527 Posts
I hold a great deal of respect to the comics. mainly because they got me thru the 6th grade (long story). but i also like the games. if they made a game using the comics writers and the games producers it would be cool.