Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 sonictrainer
Member since 2008 • 15187 Posts

From the Game Industry International Website:

"Sega Europe has handed the publishing and distribution rights to the next three Sonic the Hedgehog titles exclusively to Nintendo.

The move follows Sega's continued focus on the PC market with hits like Football Manager, Total War and Company of Heroes - and compliments Nintendo's portfolio of family-friendly titles. The deal includes Sonic Lost World, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games and one other game to be revealed at a later date.

Sega have chosen to exclusively partner with Nintendo to distribute or publish the next three Sonic the Hedgehog titles throughout Europe and Australia," Jurgen Post, COO of Sega Europe, confirmed to GamesIndustry International.

The deal is an extension of the publishing duties Nintendo has taken on for previous Olympic Games titles. Sega US will still publish Lost World in the region.

"This is a strategic partnership that does not affect our existing distribution network across these territories and with whom we are looking forward to working with on the upcoming releases of Total War: Rome II and Company of Heroes 2," he added.

Sega now has three main pillars of business after a restructuring process that took place last year. As well as the PC business, the company is also building its mobile and digital efforts, sidelining the more traditional boxed console market."

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
I'd love to know what else inspired this. Sure, it could just be them thinking it economically viable, I just want to know why that is...
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sonictrainer

There's also a SEGA blog about the partnership: SEGA and Nintendo Enter Exclusive Partnership for Sonic the Hedgehog

"SEGA® of America Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced details of an exclusive partnership with Nintendo of America Inc. and Nintendo of Europe GmbH for the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise. The new agreement will make Nintendo consoles the number one destination for Sonic gaming over the next three titles. The first two titles of the deal were announced today via Nintendo Direct, and details of the third Sonic title will be revealed at a later date.

Sonic the Hedgehog has performed incredibly well on Nintendo platforms and this exclusive partnership is a natural fit for the next evolution of Sonic games commented Jurgen Post COO SEGA Europe Ltd.  The Wii U and Nintendo 3DS are ideal platforms to showcase Sonic and we are looking forward to working with Nintendo on these three exciting adventures.

Sonic the Hedgehog first appeared as a videogame character in June 1991 and instantly became an icon for a generation of gamers.  Defined by his super-fast speed and cool attitude, in the years since he first raced on to videogame consoles Sonic has become a true global phenomenon with over 75 million videogames and smartphone apps sold worldwide. SEGAs iconic blue blur has also gone on to enjoy incredible success in many licensed areas, such as toys, apparel, comics and animation. 

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#4 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

Now we can listen to the internet whine and complain about how Sonic's a WiiU exclusive and how they can't play it. You know the same BS we listened to when Bayonetta 2 was announced as a WiiU exclusive.

PC/360/PS3 fanboy whining commences in 3...2...1

Soniczero1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Soniczero1993
Member since 2005 • 35070 Posts

Good thing I have a 3DS. O>O

Oh, were you not expecting to hear that? 

barren167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 barren167
Member since 2011 • 2606 Posts
I have a PC. I discovered game modding. MINECRAFT modding. Also Sonic Generations modding, just 'cause. There is no turning back. /dramatic rendition
sonicphc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 sonicphc
Member since 2005 • 7779 Posts
Hmm. There aren't enough exclusives out for WiiU/3DS to convince me to buy either right now... but Sonic's a start. Now all they have to do is release a new Trauma Center for the WiiU and I'll (probably) be sold. Or maybe I just need to move somewhere where the rent's cheaper and public transportation is a convenient to work. Then the 3DS becomes a possibility... Or I just steal a friend's 3DS and return it a month later. Hmm, I'm liking that option...
sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sonictrainer
Does anyone here actually own a Wii-U?
white_kunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 white_kunoichi
Member since 2010 • 4741 Posts

Does anyone here actually own a Wii-U?sonictrainer
*points to herself* Yep.

sonictrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sonictrainer
Some people are speculating that the third Sonic game will be a Mario Kart/Sonic All Stars Racing Crossover.
kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#11 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

I haven't gotten one yet though I plan to, like most waiting for a few more games to come out for it but this fall should bring me this, Rayman Legends, Wind Waker HD and then I'll probably get one by that time. right now I still got a backlog of other stuff to play plus I may be moving to a new house and I'd like to get settled before I do that.

Avatar image for -SpikyBlueHero-
-SpikyBlueHero-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 -SpikyBlueHero-
Member since 2007 • 2176 Posts

Ha, that's the golden question, isn't it? :P

As far as the Wii U version is concerned, I wonder how much post-release discussion we'll have going on here when only one or two people own a Wii U and have bought the game at launch. I have a hunch the 3DS version will dominate the forum, which is kinda ironic seeing as the Wii U SKU is what most of us will probably be talking about prior to release. The home consoles always seem to push the handhelds under the rug in terms of media coverage, too. :P

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#13 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
I will sometime later this year when I've got the money for it, does that count?