chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

So I just got a Dreamcast (used) to play a couple of old games. I tried today to boot up Skies of Arcadia. The Dreamcast wouldn't boot from the first disc (stuck at black screen before title screen), but if I boot from the second disk, press to start a new game, then insert the first disk when it tells me to, it works fine. I also tried booting another game, which boots no problem.

Trying to figure out if this is an issue with the Dreamcast or the game. Anyone have any insights? Thanks!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Hm - could be smudges or scratches on the disc 1 preventing the boot from loading correctly. A pretty small scuff or smudge could cause a problem, in theory. The DC laser might be getting weak, too, which could cause disc read errors.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chessmaster1989
@xantufrog said:

Hm - could be smudges or scratches on the disc 1 preventing the boot from loading correctly. A pretty small scuff or smudge could cause a problem, in theory. The DC laser might be getting weak, too, which could cause disc read errors.

Thanks. Going to see if I can find another DC to test it on. If it is a problem with the DC laser, anything can be done or do I just have to get another one?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xantufrog  Moderator

You can actually replace the lasers on these things pretty cheap. I am not sure about DC but I know on ps2 you can also adjust the laser distance which can compensate for its laser weakening. So there's hope if you discover it's your system

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chessmaster1989
@xantufrog said:

You can actually replace the lasers on these things pretty cheap. I am not sure about DC but I know on ps2 you can also adjust the laser distance which can compensate for its laser weakening. So there's hope if you discover it's your system

That's good to know. I tried Arcadia on a different Dreamcast and got the same problem, so I'm guessing it's a disk issue. Probably just going to see if I can get a new disk 1, if not I'll just keep going with the current work-around.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xantufrog  Moderator

Cool - it's not a burned copy, is it? Because then it could just be the poor quality of the burn

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chessmaster1989

No, not a burned copy, rather a copy I bought used (can't really return it since I waited a bit before actually playing it, my mistake I guess)

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xantufrog  Moderator

ugh, I bought a sack (literally) of DC games once from some dude - I was so excited by my "score", but half of them wouldn't read because of disc errors. They were visibly scratched, though

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178808 Posts

@xantufrog said:

ugh, I bought a sack (literally) of DC games once from some dude - I was so excited by my "score", but half of them wouldn't read because of disc errors. They were visibly scratched, though

That sucks. At least some of them worked....