Why can't people use comic book logic when they blame video games for all these shootings?

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 502 Posts

I'm a huge fanboy of both mediums, and love grindhouse styled boobs and carnage s**t. What I don't get is how conservatives and parents of young children never see that graphic novels can carry the same content. They think it's all for kids, no arguments. But when it comes to games, they don't want to complain until AFTER a tragedy strikes!

Funny how this s**t works. I know the 50s are over but comics got a LOT more hardcore stuff than back when. I work at a library, and it's the only branch in my city that gives M rated titles from Image and such their own separate shelf section. Everything else is tame Marvel and DC.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11681 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/political-gamers-909409192/

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sanghelle56

@RSM-HQ: Thanx I fixed it. Didn't know whether to originally put this in PGs or General

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11681 Posts

@sanghelle56: No problem.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127525 Posts

How are you going to blame the younger generations for it that way?

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sanghelle56

@horgen: ....Huh???

Um, I'm not blaming children for anything pertaining to this topic. :/ I was talking about their parents. If I sounded like I was referring to minors playing or reading anything, I didn't mean that.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

Parents probably don't take the time to see what is in their kid's comic books. Out of sight, out of mind. Every time they open the bedroom door to yell at little Jimmy, they more than likely see some form of FPS on the screen. Easy scapegoat.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127525 Posts

@sanghelle56 said:

@horgen: ....Huh???

Um, I'm not blaming children for anything pertaining to this topic. :/ I was talking about their parents. If I sounded like I was referring to minors playing or reading anything, I didn't mean that.

Not exactly what I meant. If comic books were a reason for violence, why didn't the boomer generation do something about it? By blaming videogames, you blame something only young people understand, and young people obviously doesn't know what is best for themselves (sarcasm on that last part).

angeldeb82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 angeldeb82
Member since 2005 • 1724 Posts

In other news, Universal Pictures has canceled the release of its film The Hunt (which had been slated to hit theaters on September 27) in the wake of these two shootings.

https://fox61.com/2019/08/10/universal-pictures-pulls-thriller-the-hunt-in-the-wake-of-two-mass-shootings/

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

LOL first it was Rock&Roll then it was TV and now it´s the evil games and now again evil games.

I feel like someone pulled us out of 2019 and right back into the late '90s, early 00´s.

No study has proven that there is a causation between games and violent behaviour.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e
Member since 2017 • 2335 Posts

@Jacanuk:

The difference today with games vs back then is that there is money to be made. I can see how people can make the statement towards games in todays social media/always connected/always hating age.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jacanuk
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

The difference today with games vs back then is that there is money to be made. I can see how people can make the statement towards games in todays social media/always connected/always hating age.

There was money to be made back then.

But it´s funny though that people are not blaming a platform that is much more likely to be a cause then games and that is Social media even though that, of course, is also not a real cause, it´s just a way for already violent people to get feedback from other violent people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@Jacanuk:

1. There was not the same money to be made back then. Not even close. The e-scene existed, but not anything like today. Streaming did not exist back then, and if it did, not like it is today.

2. Social media opens up new ways for people to be a-holes. Its sort of created the spineless a-hole. That is for certain a factor in violence.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jacanuk
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

1. There was not the same money to be made back then. Not even close. The e-scene existed, but not anything like today. Streaming did not exist back then, and if it did, not like it is today.

2. Social media opens up new ways for people to be a-holes. Its sort of created the spineless a-hole. That is for certain a factor in violence.

Well, inflation and all, the money-back then is not quite the same but back then it was still a fair amount.

As to Social Media sure it brings out the shitlords but it´s not the cause of the shitlords, it´s just a way for them to group up and find each other and feed of each other's shittiness.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@Jacanuk:

No the entire monetary platform for games has changed. Thats undeniable.

And social media has also changed the platform for violence. Its sort of made adults act below even what children do. Ironic it is called social media yet it has created quite the anti social bunch.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jacanuk
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

No the entire monetary platform for games has changed. Thats undeniable.

And social media has also changed the platform for violence. Its sort of made adults act below even what children do. Ironic it is called social media yet it has created quite the anti social bunch.

Well, sure today the money amount has increased a lot but how much is kinda off-topic for here. Let´s just agree that Games do not make sane people violent.

And ya Social media is something a certain guy downstairs has created and while it has some benefits, the negatives far far far outweigh the positives.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@Jacanuk:

The money is not only more but different, it is not just acquired through sport but it is also a competitive nature through social media streams. This is a prime platform for violence to occur.

I have zero social media accounts, except for the one instagram i can no longer access.......yet for some reason i have 5 with my name. Thats another story but another means to create violence. People try to provoke, etc. Its sad.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jacanuk
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

The money is not only more but different, it is not just acquired through sport but it is also a competitive nature through social media streams. This is a prime platform for violence to occur.

Sure you can find a correlation between social media streams and violence, but that is no more different than if you see two guys fight in the schoolyard and it attracts a crowd. Just watch an MMA fight and see how sick some in the crowd is.

Humans are humans and some humans have a tendency towards violence which is there no matter if they watch social media, play games or watch/read/listen to violent content.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@Jacanuk:

Im specifically referring to social media as it pertains to money streams. People in crowds at sporting events are not being paid. Theres a difference.

Can you imagine kids in school these days? Before bullys at least had balls, now kids can just toxify each other with phones. Its no doubt a concern.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jacanuk
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

Im specifically referring to social media as it pertains to money streams. People in crowds at sporting events are not being paid. Theres a difference.

Can you imagine kids in school these days? Before bullys at least had balls, now kids can just toxify each other with phones. Its no doubt a concern.

Yup, social media is toxic as .... and before at least you could get home and the bullies would not be able to keep up their shit, now most kids have a smart-phone and are online 24/7 which leads to bullying 24/7.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ea0704839e9e

@Jacanuk said:
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

Yup, social media is toxic as .... and before at least you could get home and the bullies would not be able to keep up their shit, now most kids have a smart-phone and are online 24/7 which leads to bullying 24/7.

And adults do it too. See what i mean now? Those people are possibly even in a majority and have zero right to comment on violence, or their thoughts on it should have the reaction of, "yeeeaaaahhhh, but you are basucally part of it."

Some peoples minds never mature into adulthood. These people should wear specual padded suits.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@heirren said:

@Jacanuk:

Sure you can find a correlation between social media streams and violence, but that is no more different than if you see two guys fight in the schoolyard and it attracts a crowd. Just watch an MMA fight and see how sick some in the crowd is.

Humans are humans and some humans have a tendency towards violence which is there no matter if they watch social media, play games or watch/read/listen to violent content.

What's toxic is allowing money to decide our policies.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jacanuk
@LJS9502_basic said:

Sure, but money and politics have been hand in hand ever since the dawn of human civilization discovered politics.

Money is power and power is politics.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Sure, but money and politics have been hand in hand ever since the dawn of human civilization discovered politics.

Money is power and power is politics.

And we can change that. Which is better than being an apologist and continuing on that path.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacanuk
@LJS9502_basic said:

And we can change that. Which is better than being an apologist and continuing on that path.

Good luck.

Because I don´t believe for a second anyone will get that changed.

Look at Sanders and AOC, both have already made a fair amount for themselves and it took AOC less than a month to be hit with the first questionable money issue among her inner circle.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

It's a distraction from actually shedding light on the issue because by doing so then people who have a political agenda or a economical gain from keeping this as they are will take a loss.

Nearly every country on the planet plays video games and don't experience even a fraction of the degree of mass shootings that the US does. Not to mention the studies over the years showing no correlation between violent behavior and video games. So much like Comics or Rock music didn't do it either, they won't bring about the destruction of the fabric of society.

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
GettingonwithGamingLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GettingonwithGamingLife
Member since 2017 • 277 Posts

Its probably easier to see what kids are playing on a screen than search through their books..but I get what your saying. Parents blame one thing over another when all stuff nowdays is full of it.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@Treflis said:

Nearly every country on the planet plays video games and don't experience even a fraction of the degree of mass shootings that the US does. Not to mention the studies over the years showing no correlation between violent behavior and video games. So much like Comics or Rock music didn't do it either, they won't bring about the destruction of the fabric of society.

How does one logically determine if a violent (insert media here) had any influence on someone who perpetrated violence? Do we ask them? Do we expect an irrational acting individual to suddenly act rationally when explaining influences and more importantly, do we believe the person?