Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

LINK

The White House on Friday blocked a number of media outlets, including CNN and POLITICO, from an off-camera briefing with press secretary Sean Spicer, while allowing in a select group of journalists that included many conservative outlets.

The White House had earlier planned on having an on-camera gaggle with Spicer in the briefing room, but the administration later in the day changed it to a restricted off-camera gaggle in Spicer’s office.

The shift — a notable break from protocol — came as the White House is trying to contain fallout from reports that chief of staff Reince Priebus pressured the FBI to shoot down articles about frequent contact between Trump campaign officials and Russian intelligence officials.

Instead of hosting the typical briefing on camera in the briefing room — which in the first month has been regularly broadcast live on the major cable networks — the White House invited the pool, which on Friday consisted of Hearst Newspapers and CBS, into Spicer’s office, along with a select group of other outlets. Because of the presence of the pool, the information was still shared with the entire White House press corps.

The White House blocked: Politico, BBC, NYT, CNN, LA Times

Okay Trumpettes. I'm waiting. What's the excuse now?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

How to Build an Autocracy

Meanwhile, social media circulate ever-wilder rumors. Some people believe them; others don’t. It’s hard work to ascertain what is true.

Nobody’s repealed the First Amendment, of course, and Americans remain as free to speak their minds as ever—provided they can stomach seeing their timelines fill up with obscene abuse and angry threats from the pro-Trump troll armies that police Facebook and Twitter. Rather than deal with digital thugs, young people increasingly drift to less political media like Snapchat and Instagram.

Trump-critical media do continue to find elite audiences. Their investigations still win Pulitzer Prizes; their reporters accept invitations to anxious conferences about corruption, digital-journalism standards, the end of nato, and the rise of populist authoritarianism. Yet somehow all of this earnest effort feels less and less relevant to American politics. President Trump communicates with the people directly via his Twitter account, ushering his supporters toward favorable information at Fox News or Breitbart.

If you have an hour to donate to reading an article, I highly recommend this one.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Surely banning these press organizations won't result in any bad press, right?

Good fucking god, this administration is going by in dog years. A month of Trump feels like 5 years of W. Bush.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Wow... land of the free, hey?! Not so sure anymore. You guys gotta get rid of these clowns. Somehow.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

This is how dictatorships start. Maybe people weren't exaggerating about what a tyrant he would be after all. What's it been? Like four weeks?

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

CNN is pissed and doesn't hold back.

Loading Video...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@xdude85 said:

Surely banning these press organizations won't result in any bad press, right?

Good fucking god, this administration is going by in dog years. A month of Trump feels like 5 years of W. Bush.

Trump has done the impossible. I miss GWB.:(

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Wow... land of the free, hey?! Not so sure anymore. You guys gotta get rid of these clowns. Somehow.

Yeah. Guess I'm going to have to start calling my Rep and Senators. Others should do the same. They need to hear that the people aren't on board with this shit.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Drunk_PI

@mark1974 said:

This is how dictatorships start. Maybe people weren't exaggerating about what a tyrant he would be after all. What's it been? Like four weeks?

Hey hey careful now. Don't get Subzero so antsy about those comparisons.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

So the Trump administration now fits the Trump administrations own definition of a dictatorship.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/02/24/in-december-spicer-said-barring-media-access-is-what-a-dictatorship-does-today-he-barred-media-access/?utm_term=.210681257226

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

I lol'd

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@xdude85: In a best case scenerio, this explicit and public lack of access would cause CNN to calibrate their approach and, rather than seek official access, publicly state "We will not give in to demands to sugar coat coverage in exchange for access," and then proceed to operate without that official access.

Heaven knows CNN needs a new reputation anyway, but it will never happen.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Drunk_PI

@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

So suppression of the press is a good thing? Okay.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They're fake news.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FireEmblem_Man

@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

Whatever you say, you little ray of sunshine ;)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

He can't handle the truth.............

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Drunk_PI

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

So why is suppression of the press a good thing?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic

@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

The BBC was even banned. They don't want any press that might question them. Period. Sad day for democracy.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

Never said that suppression is a good thing, seems like you're coming on to me..... Maybe if WaPost, NYT, and CNN start being honest instead of making up stories and refusing to name "sources" of their claim that Trump works for Russia? Maybe they won't be barred? Not all press is barred, just those big ones that Trump deemed dishonest.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Drunk_PI

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@drunk_pi said:

Never said that suppression is a good thing, seems like you're coming on to me..... Maybe if WaPost, NYT, and CNN start being honest instead of making up stories and refusing to name "sources" of their claim that Trump works for Russia? Maybe they won't be barred? Not all press is barred, just those big ones that Trump deemed dishonest.

You're the one saying "lol."

What lies have they said and were they false? You're saying things but you're not backing it up with anything.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Dear god.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@drunk_pi said:

Literally the first rule of journalism is to NEVER reveal your sources. You are asking them to do something that no news agency, credible or otherwise, does lol. Nor do they "make up" stuff, as evidenced by the fact you couldn't even post one example.

The current administration's definition of "fake news" is anything they don't agree with or that works against them. The whole point of this strategy is to deflect from their own screw ups and the fact it's a month into the administration and they've achieved nothing. Trump and co. need someone to blame and the media is that target because his party controls all three branches of government, so you can't blame them. The media is enshrined in the constitution and if Trump has an issue with that that's his problem.

I'd wager this is just another deflection and they themselves created this news story to distract from other, more damaging news, that's broken today.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@drunk_pi said:

What lies have they said and were they false? You're saying things but you're not backing it up with anything.

He is just emulating his hero Trump. Backing things up with evidence was the old way of doing things, we have a dictator now. He said in the post above "Trump deemed dishonest". That's all the proof he needs.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FireEmblem_Man

@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@drunk_pi said:

Me saying "LOL" means I agree for barring the media? LOL

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@drunk_pi said:

Wow. Amazing that people actually buy his narrative. It's not fake news. It's news Trump doesn't like. There is a difference. As for sources.....the intelligence communities are the ones investigating. That should tell you right there that something exists. Trump barred the BBC. Seriously dude...the BBC.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattbbpl

@perfect_blue said:

The current administration's definition of "fake news" is anything they don't agree with or that works against them.

This is not merely the administration's definition. This is the Republican base's definition, and it's been in development a long time. They've been trained to distrust "the mainstream media" since at least McCain's campaign and arguably earlier.

And it's beginning to spread, both within that party and without. We need to stop this now before everyone wanders off into their own echo chambers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

This is not merely the administration's definition. This is the Republican base's definition, and it's been in development a long time. They've been trained to distrust "the mainstream media" since at least McCain's campaign and arguably earlier.

And it's beginning to spread, both within that party and without. We need to stop this now before everyone wanders off into their own echo chambers.

Oh yeah, for sure. Just pointing out it's the first time a US presidential administration is doing it so openly (at least in my lifetime, I know Nixon was similar to this).

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl

@perfect_blue said:
@mattbbpl said:

Oh yeah, for sure. Just pointing out it's the first time a US presidential administration is doing it so openly (at least in my lifetime, I know Nixon was similar to this).

Yeah, same here. I've never seen anything like this in the US.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

@perfect_blue said:
@mattbbpl said:

I don't think Nixon was this bad.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

If someone wont learn their place you have to make them.

Outlets want to make up news stories? They're going to learn that you don't get all access.

Between the bathroom bill and now this it's been a fantastic week for this administration.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

@Jaysonguy said:

Outlets want to make up news stories? They're going to learn that you don't get all access.

Between the bathroom bill and now this it's been a fantastic week for this administration.

This administration won't last their term.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@Jaysonguy said:

This administration won't last their term.

I've said it before, they're going 12 years.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Well that's fucked up.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19569 Posts

@Jaysonguy: I wouldn't be surprised if Trump holds office for the next 20 years, executing anyone who points out that his term has expired.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Just a reminder: This... isn't... normal!

And he must go!

Loading Video...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

How is not letting them into a press briefing a suppression? Has they been banned from going on air? have they been stopped for going all in on this story or any other story? Infact this just makes them even more angry and even more likely to keep digging for dirt.

But it´s fun to read this thread, some people clearly don't know how a free world works.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jacanuk

@Planeforger said:

@Jaysonguy: I wouldn't be surprised if Trump holds office for the next 20 years, executing anyone who points out that his term has expired.

And how do you see that happening? has the military started to roam the street? have the supreme court been killed?

But nice try :) perhaps try something that is actually possible and not a figment of the snowflakes mind.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Drunk_PI

@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

How is not letting them into a press briefing a suppression? Has they been banned from going on air? have they been stopped for going all in on this story or any other story? Infact this just makes them even more angry and even more likely to keep digging for dirt.

But it´s fun to read this thread, some people clearly don't know how a free world works.

You clearly lack an understanding how tyranny works. It doesn't begin with one giant leap. It's a step-by-step process. First it's not letting the media into the press briefing. Then it's calling the press "an enemy of the people" which Trump gleefully stated at CPAC. Then it will be something else that's worse but will result in the same response from apologists: "They're not being suppressed! You don't know how the free world works!"

Clearly you lack an understanding how the free world is suppose to work.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

You clearly lack an understanding how tyranny works. It doesn't begin with one giant leap. It's a step-by-step process. First it's not letting the media into the press briefing. Then it's calling the press "an enemy of the people" which Trump gleefully stated at CPAC. Then it will be something else that's worse but will result in the same response from apologists: "They're not being suppressed! You don't know how the free world works!"

You're clearly paranoid as Alex Jones

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Jacanuk

@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:
@drunk_pi said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

I lol'd

Clearly you need to take off that tin foil hat.

And again not letting some media into a press briefing is how the free world works,.

Media does not and will not have a carte blanche to go where they see fit, they have to abide by laws and rules like everyone else.

If you want to talk about supression, go check up on what happened to CNN in Venezuela, and until that happens here in the us , please take of that tin foil hat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

@R3FURBISHED: Trump is running an autocracy like a king. Oh CNN is fake news turn that off. Let me tweet my policies.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#42 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Can someone elaborate on the whole "off-camera briefing" - how different is it from the usual press briefings?

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Drunk_PI

@FireEmblem_Man said:

You're clearly paranoid as Alex Jones

Those are Trump's words, not mine.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Drunk_PI

@Jacanuk said:

And again not letting some media into a press briefing is how the free world works,.

Media does not and will not have a carte blanche to go where they see fit, they have to abide by laws and rules like everyone else.

If you want to talk about supression, go check up on what happened to CNN in Venezuela, and until that happens here in the us , please take of that tin foil hat.

Clearly you need to stop drinking that Trump Koolaid. Give an inch and suddenly they want a mile. lol laws and rules? wtf are you talking about? Don't criticize the president for being a corrupt asshole is a law? lol ok.

Also, look at Trump's tweet about the media and then tell me otherwise.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jacanuk

@drunk_pi said:
@Jacanuk said:

Clearly you need to stop drinking that Trump Koolaid. Give an inch and suddenly they want a mile. lol laws and rules? wtf are you talking about? Don't criticize the president for being a corrupt asshole is a law? lol ok.

Also, look at Trump's tweet about the media and then tell me otherwise.

And how did Trump stop CNN for reporting that Trump is a asshole or anything else?

Again all that happened was that a few select media was denied entry into a room where some idiot stood and said absolute nothing of value.

You really need to learn perspective.

And Trump calling a few media outlets fake news, is his right, is it presidential of course not and it´s funny as shit that an american president is actually using twitter like a teenager would.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Impeach this dude, and lets move on.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

LoL @ all the trumpets trying to directly justify this. Even Trump himself conceded that the leaks and anonymous sources were true. The major news outlets haven't made anything up. The only thing that ever came close was the face pissing dossier, and even now elements of that dossier [not the piss fetish parts] have been independently corroborated.

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

Good, eff those fake news spreading traitors! Glad Trump is ruling with an iron fist

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Good. That's what they get, bunch of crybabies.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Of what right does Trump have to step in between the people and the government and say, "I approve of X media, but not of Y, therefor X is going to be informed while Y isn't", thereby allowing X media (who he's deemed favorable to him) to get and spread their take on information out to the public but not of Y? In impeding citizens from their ability to choose whatever media they desire, privy to equality in exposure regardless of accuracy in actual truth, the media isn't the enemy of the people.....it is in effect Trump, his administration, and his followers that are. Who is Trump, a provable liar and con-man if there ever was one, one to act the determinant of truth? What a joke, as are his mindless, rabid sheep that advocate his bullshit. It is the people that determine what they wish to listen to, true or false. For anyone to even try to argue that what affords their ability to do so should be in any manner state-regulated stands antithetical to American values.

Republican or Democrat, this should be opposed vehemently on all sides. I think everyone defending this are the one who really needs to remove themselves from blind partisanship to learn some perspective. Anyone who supports this are not even real Americans; the term "American" in their case only extends so far as how it serves the party they support, and what a disgrace it is. A bunch of partisan traitors to this nation's values, they are nothing more, and they know it. The truly sad part is, they just don't care.