Trump campaign to federal workers: "Get a Loan, Just a bit of pain." Border wall bill gets less votes in Senate!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

So perhaps three news in one, because I don't want to make three threads.

• After being told that federal workers are resorting to food shelter, Trump's Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said "Well I know they are, and I don't understand why, they have access to loans."
  • Lara Trump said on video, "The shutdown is a little bit of pain for the workers, but its worth it for the future of this country!"
  • And finally the senate voted on two separate bills: one to open the government with border wall and one without border wall - without border wall won, but still failed - with 6 republicans defecting (they would need 12), - 1 democrat voted for the wall bill

Overall, I really don't understand how Trump think he'll pull this off without declaring a national emergency. Congress is beginning to defect, his campaign is screwing things up and his approval ratings are dropping like a fly.

Lara Trump a little bit of pain (vox)

Commerce Chairman take loans (NYT)

Senate vote border wall gets less (CNN)

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Why is it mostly just Republicans making these kind of gaffs while trying (and failing) to make the situation seem not as bad as it is?

Oh that's right, because most people blame them for this situation.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

@zaryia said:

Why is it mostly just Republicans making these kind of gaffs in failed attempts trying to make the situation seem not as bad as it is?

Oh thats' right, because most people blame them for this situation.

Yup, did you say that democrats would cave on my other thread? In my poll it got a lot more votes. I think at this point it's clear it will be republicans. The more time passes it appears that democrats are going to win.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17694 Posts

Seems Trumpy is having an emergency draft made up:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/24/politics/trump-border-wall-emergency-draft/index.html

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@MirkoS77: lol this is just getting dumb.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23058 Posts

@blackballs said:

• After being told that federal workers are resorting to food shelter, Trump's Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said "Well I know they are, and I don't understand why, they have access to loans."

This is the one I'm interested in addressing. We have got to stop electing people who A) have no personal experience as a median income American and B) exhibit no interest or capacity in understanding how those people live because they don't have the knowledge and experience necessary to form and enact effective policy.

This guy is ignorant AF about how consumers, laborers, and main street operate, and he's the Commerce Secretary? This is an embarrassment.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58521 Posts

Yeah I read this today. Just when I thought I was done being shocked by Trump and his cabinet, this douchebag says this. I cannot. Fracking. Believe it.

How out of touch do you have to be? First off, you have to qualify for a loan, apply for it, and all kinds of stuff....so you can't just "go out and get one".

Second, there's something called interest. So while you are more or less acting as a slave to your government job (or not working at all), not making this money you are 100% entitled to, let's say you do get a loan. And this loan has x % of interest. Now you're in the hole. So not only are you not making the money you should have, now you owe money on the money you shouldn't have to take out for! It's a completely ass-backwards strategy and, holy shit, I can't believe someone even suggested it at the political level.

If one of my friends or coworker was like "Just take out a loan" I'd roll my eyes, but this is a billionaire cabinet member of the Trump administration that said this. How does this asshole get so rich with a mind like that!?

I am reminded of Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development commenting on the cost of groceries, having literally no idea how us common folk go about things....

Loading Video...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23058 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah I read this today. Just when I thought I was done being shocked by Trump and his cabinet, this douchebag says this. I cannot. Fracking. Believe it.

How out of touch do you have to be? First off, you have to qualify for a loan, apply for it, and all kinds of stuff....so you can't just "go out and get one".

Second, there's something called interest. So while you are more or less acting as a slave to your government job (or not working at all), not making this money you are 100% entitled to, let's say you do get a loan. And this loan has x % of interest. Now you're in the hole. So not only are you not making the money you should have, now you owe money on the money you shouldn't have to take out for! It's a completely ass-backwards strategy and, holy shit, I can't believe someone even suggested it at the political level.

If one of my friends or coworker was like "Just take out a loan" I'd roll my eyes, but this is a billionaire cabinet member of the Trump administration that said this. How does this asshole get so rich with a mind like that!?

I am reminded of Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development commenting on the cost of groceries, having literally no idea how us common folk go about things....

It's a modern day, "Let them eat cake," moment.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

Am I the only one waiting for an revolution and see trump hanged like they did to Marie Antoinette

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

What else would you expect from a bunch of swamp dwellers.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127528 Posts

@mrbojangles25: 10 dollars for a banana sounds about right.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178877 Posts

Saw those comments yesterday. Disgusting and out of touch. We really don't need the very wealthy involved in running this country,

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Next suggestion is probably going to be " Just file for bankruptcy, it worked four times for Trump"

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

The Trump admin, looking out for the little guys. Can't get paid due to my negligence and incompetence? Take out a loan! The amount of tone deaf coverage this administration gets is staggering, yet there are plenty of poor rubes who support this con men.

kuriisenbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kuriisenbo
Member since 2020 • 2 Posts

@blackballs:

@blackballs said:

• Lara Trump said on video, "The shutdown is a little bit of pain for the workers, but its worth it for the future of this country!"
  • And finally the senate voted on two separate bills: one to open the government with border wall and one without border wall - without border wall won, but still failed - with 6 republicans defecting (they would need 12), - 1 democrat voted for the wall bill

Overall, I really don't understand how Trump think he'll pull this off without declaring a national emergency. Congress is beginning to defect, his campaign is screwing things up and his approval ratings are dropping like a fly.

Lara Trump a little bit of pain (vox)

Commerce Chairman take loans (NYT)

Senate vote border wall gets less (CNN)

Definitely some regulations must been established on this sense...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127528 Posts

Necro