Trump administration will put steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada, Mexico and the EU

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Source

The Trump administration will put tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Canada, Mexico and the European Union, the latest action in a string of protectionist policies to crack down on alleged trade abuses.

The tariffs of 25 percent on steel imports and 10 percent on aluminum imports will take effect at midnight Thursday, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross told reporters. The U.S. gave those allies a reprieve from those duties, but the exemptions were set to expire Friday. The Trump administration will place quotas or volume limits on other countries such as South Korea, Argentina, Australia and Brazil instead of tariffs, he said.

Condemnation from U.S. allies poured in immediately Thursday. European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker called the tariffs "unjustified" and said the EU will introduce countermeasures in the coming hours. A spokesperson for the British government also said the U.K. is "deeply disappointed" in the move and added U.S. allies "should be permanently and fully exempted" from the tariffs. Mexico also said it would impose tariffs in response to the U.S. actions.

The Trump administration move is only its latest in a series of actions targeting foreign countries' trade practices. Trump has repeatedly promised to crack down on trade habits that he says harm American companies and sap U.S. jobs.

In a proclamation announcing the measures, Trump wrote that he agreed with Ross' "finding that steel mill articles are being imported into the United States in such quantities and under such circumstances as to threaten to impair the national security of the United States." American steel and aluminum producers have cheered the Trump administration's metals tariffs, and shares of companies such as U.S. Steel and AK Steel surged on Thursday.

Getty ImagesA worker stands over molten steel at the Salzgitter AG steelworks on March 7, 2017 in Salzgitter, Germany.

Meanwhile, the prospect of more protectionism led the Dow Jones industrial average and S&P 500 to hit their lows of Thursday following the news. The U.S. dollar also approached a session high against both the Canadian dollar and Mexican peso.

The actions come as the U.S. tries to strike a revised North American Free Trade Agreement deal with Canada and Mexico, and settle other trade concerns with the EU. It will increase tensions with allies even as the U.S. seeks help to address alleged trade abuses by China.

The Commerce secretary said the exemptions would end in part because NAFTA talks are "taking longer than we had hoped." Negotiations with Europe have "made some progress" but not gone far enough to warrant more relief from the tariffs, he added.

"We look forward to continued negotiations both with Canada and Mexico on the one hand, and with the European Commission on the other hand, because there are other issues that we also need to get resolved," Ross said.

In a subsequent interview with CNBC, he contended that retaliatory tariffs from U.S. allies would not have a significant effect on the U.S. economy.

The metals tariff decision comes as the Trump administration tries to negotiate a pact with China to avoid a potentially devastating trade war. On Tuesday, the White House said it would release a list buy mid-June of about $50 billion worth of Chinese goods on which the U.S. will impose a 25 percent tariff.

Trump's move to crack down on metals imports has received praise from pockets of both major political parties who argue foreign products have hurt the American steel and aluminum industries. Some free-trade lawmakers in Trump's Republican Party have opposed the actions.

In announcing the metals tariffs in March, the president argued trade trends "destroyed" U.S. steel and aluminum companies.

"People have no idea how badly our country has been treated by other countries. By people representing us who didn't have a clue," Trump said.

A trade team led by Ross met with EU economic officials on Wednesday, but those efforts apparently did not yield results results.

In a statement, Juncker said he is "concerned" by the U.S. decision and called the tariffs "unjustified and at odds with World Trade Organization rules." He said "overcapacity" in the steel sector is the issue, but denied the EU is the source of it.

"By targeting those who are not responsible for overcapacities, the US is playing into the hands of those who are responsible for the problem. The US now leaves us with no choice but to proceed with a WTO dispute settlement case and with the imposition of additional duties on a number of imports from the US," the statement said.

The EU has already prepared a list of U.S. products to target. Those American exports include bourbon, rice and motorcycles.

Mexico also said Thursday it will target a variety of U.S. products with equivalent measures. The country could target products such as fruit, cheeses and lamps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

What a clown. I look forward to seeing the US continue to eat itself alive because of this.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@perfect_blue said:

What a clown. I look forward to seeing the US continue to eat itself alive because of this.

Or they'll make a ton of money off of it.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@n64dd: That's no doubt the plan, but instead they'll get a trade war.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@n64dd: lol, good luck with that.

The mythological “forgotten men and women of America” who voted for Trump are going to be hurt by this most. Oh well, elections have consequences!

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@mandzilla said:

I don't think it's the plan because he is doing everything to make the rest of the world sound like they are the wrongdoers. He's looking for trouble.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mandzilla  Moderator

@KungfuKitten: Yup, he's picking a heck of a lot of fights at once which is risky. The US trade delegation is off to negotiate with China over the weekend, so maybe these tariffs on Canada, Mexico and the EU are meant as a warning to China? I believe this just gives China a stronger hand and more allies when the inevitable push back happens though.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38696 Posts

mmm my 401k has been loving all the unnecessary trade bullshit over the last 5 months....

oh wait.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:
@mandzilla said:

I don't think it's the plan because he is doing everything to make the rest of the world sound like they are the wrongdoers. He's looking for trouble.

In all fairness we've been shit on by everybody in trade as of lately.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deeliman
@n64dd said:
@KungfuKitten said:
@mandzilla said:

In all fairness we've been shit on by everybody in trade as of lately.

Surely though, the answer isn't starting trade wars with the entire world?

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator

@deeliman: Trump administration doesn't do diplomacy. Let them learn the hard way that you don't get everything to go your way by throwing all of your toys out of the pram.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#12 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41585 Posts

He's really trying to sabotage alliances, isn't he?

micky4889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By micky4889
Member since 2006 • 2668 Posts

All that needs to happen is for the EU, China, Mexico and Canada to get together and put organised strategic sanctions on the US and this trade war wont last long.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Start a trade war with your allies...

Genius.

Putin must be laughing his ass off.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Trump has no idea what makes america great. It's like the opposite of everything he stands for.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23063 Posts

@nintendoboy16: It's become a legit concern for me.

It's hard to believe anyone is this stupid. It's even harder to believe there are enough people this stupid in his administration that they can't stop his stupid policies from being actualized.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deeliman
@mattbbpl said:

It's hard to believe anyone is this stupid. It's even harder to believe there are enough people this stupid in his administration that they can't stop his stupid policies from being actualized.

But trade wars are so easy to win! Especially if you start 3 at the same time, America just never had a stable enough genius to do this before now.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127534 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

Perhaps they fear that they will be fired...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl

@horgen: That would imply they're knowingly selling their country out for personal gain. That doesn't seem much better to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Maybe Trump is a globalist after all. He's taking the bullet so that the rest of the world can unite. Quite a noble purpose.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 horgen  Moderator

@mattbbpl said:

@horgen: That would imply they're knowingly selling their country out for personal gain. That doesn't seem much better to me.

Aren't most politicians doing exactly that?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@korvus said:

Maybe Trump is a globalist after all. He's taking the bullet so that the rest of the world can unite. Quite a noble purpose.

It´s interesting you think the world can unite in a fight for unfair trade.

Sure, right now they may seem to stand together but the EU is not as united as you may think, especially not after the UK left and the EU has a lot of cash they need to find elsewhere and with countries not willing to give any more and Italy electing a EU hostile government.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#24 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts
@Jacanuk said:
@korvus said:

Sure, right now they may seem to stand together but the EU is not as united as you may think, especially not after the UK left and the EU has a lot of cash they need to find elsewhere and with countries not willing to give any more and Italy electing a EU hostile government.

Oh, I know the EU is not doing well....I live here, remember? Then again, the mood has been feeling a little cleaner lately. And yes, you would be right if this...trade war, was the only fight Trump was looking to pick.

Also, as far as fair trade goes, I find it interesting that you still think Trump will be your champion in this.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacanuk
@korvus said:
@Jacanuk said:
@korvus said:

Oh, I know the EU is not doing well....I live here, remember? Then again, the mood has been feeling a little cleaner lately. And yes, you would be right if this...trade war, was the only fight Trump was looking to pick.

Also, as far as fair trade goes, I find it interesting that you still think Trump will be your champion in this.

Ahh, right you are European.

And while I do not trust 100% in Trump, I do know that the way trade is done right now, it is not sustainable, the trade to Mexico and China 2 3rd world countries are done on terms only favourable to them.

Not to mention that we support slave & Child labour by supporting those 2 countries

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deeliman
@Jacanuk said:
@korvus said:
@Jacanuk said:
@korvus said:

Ahh, right you are European.

And while I do not trust 100% in Trump, I do know that the way trade is done right now, it is not sustainable, the trade to Mexico and China 2 3rd world countries are done on terms only favourable to them.

Not to mention that we support slave & Child labour by supporting those 2 countries

And what about the trade to EU then? Is that also unfavourable for you?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk
@deeliman said:

And what about the trade to EU then? Is that also unfavourable for you?

Considering the trade deficit, yes it is.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mattbbpl

@horgen: I... have to hope not? I'm not yet cynical enough to believe that most people take such a selfish approach to life or that most who find success/leadership roles do.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

As someone who works on the transportation side of the steel industry, I laugh at his audacity. The US barely makes its own steel anymore, so much is made in Canada and sent into the states for further processing.

The cost of American products is going to go up significantly as Canadian steel producers pass this tariff cost onto their customers.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Donnie is not going to pass as the worst president in history, he’s going to pass as the most stupid and inept president ever.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator

@mattbbpl said:

@horgen: I... have to hope not? I'm not yet cynical enough to believe that most people take such a selfish approach to life or that most who find success/leadership roles do.

I'm with you at that I hope it isn't the case.

@foxhound_fox said:

As someone who works on the transportation side of the steel industry, I laugh at his audacity. The US barely makes its own steel anymore, so much is made in Canada and sent into the states for further processing.

The cost of American products is going to go up significantly as Canadian steel producers pass this tariff cost onto their customers.

Bruh, they will produce American steel cheaper than the Canadian one. :P

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6968 Posts

@horgen said:
@mattbbpl said:

I'm with you at that I hope it isn't the case.

@foxhound_fox said:

Bruh, they will produce American steel cheaper than the Canadian one. :P

They probably can or at least on a competitive basis for steel; although the two countries roughly import and export the same amount to each other but in different steel product categories.

Aluminum is a different story as Canada is far more cost efficient than the US because of dirt cheap hydroelectric power in Quebec which is a primary input to making aluminium. There is no possible way that the US can compete in this sector.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 horgen  Moderator

@SUD123456 said:

They probably can or at least on a competitive basis for steel; although the two countries roughly import and export the same amount to each other but in different steel product categories.

Aluminum is a different story as Canada is far more cost efficient than the US because of dirt cheap hydroelectric power in Quebec which is a primary input to making aluminium. There is no possible way that the US can compete in this sector.

I wasn't entirely serious with my comment. Hence "bruh".

When you mention it, I completely forgot that cheap electric power makes a large difference when it comes to (certain types of) steel. It's the same thing in Norway as well. Also some suggestions for giving the same rate to bigger computer server parks to draw them to Norway as well.