Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

Considering that Paul Ryan has had a heavy hand in this it's hardly surprising that this repeal makes little fiscal sense, hurts the poor, and helps the rich. Yet for some reason, that's the plan republicans want to move forward with.

Here are the bullet points which I encourage you to read about more in depth within the article.

• The proposal defunds Planned Parenthood.
  • The bill effectively shuts down private health insurance coverage for abortion.
  • The individual and employer mandates are eliminated.
  • Essential health benefit rules are repealed.
  • Income-based premium subsidies would be replaced by age-based subsidies
  • The Medicaid expansion is killed.
  • All of Obamacare’s taxes are repealed, another boon for the rich.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-obamacare-repeal-20170306-story.html

I'm supposed to put something here, but frankly I'm just disgusted.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

Considering that Paul Ryan has had a heavy hand in this it's hardly surprising that this makes little fiscal sense, hurts the poor, and helps the rich. Yet for some reason, that's the plan republicans want to move forward with.

The last 8 years in a nutshell.

Ironically enough, the Freedom Caucus members in the House say they'll vote against it because it doesn't go far enough.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

There are people who rely on the ACA who voted for Trump, and that's the depressing part.

Let this be a reminder: If you think both parties are the same, you're a fucking idiot.

From what I understand, this plan isn't popular with some of the GOP congresspersons.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

Are we done pretending that this situation of corrupt politicians not even beginning to represent us, will be resolved peacefully?

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Planned Parenthood does so many great things, it is a shame it is such a political lightening rod.

_____

From The Atlantic:

In all, the American Health Care Act is roughly a repeal of the Obamacare mandates, a steep rollback of current and future federal commitments to covering people via Medicaid, a replacement of the existing tax credit with one that’s less generous for low-income people but still applies to middle-class people, and a repeal of most of the revenue-generating taxes of the ACA. At first glance, it appears that the most likely result nationally would be a net loss of coverage and a decrease in insurance affordability for many people who are the most vulnerable, but at least some of that effect might be offset by some enhanced state Medicaid payment capabilities and the stability fund. For now, it’s on to markup and the CBO.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R3FURBISHED

CNN wrote up a pretty great article, to help make all of this more easily understood.

• Lower-income folks could be left uninsured.
  • Older Americans could have to pay more.
  • The sick could get coverage, but it could be more limited.
  • Younger Americans could get cheaper plans.
  • The healthy could buy less expensive policies.
  • Higher-income Americans could pay fewer taxes, get more tax benefits.
  • Insurance companies could get a big tax break.
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7256 Posts

It hurts my head knowing these were the same people screaming "DEATH PANNEL" seven years ago.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Drunk_PI

@judaspete said:

It hurts my head knowing these were the same people screaming "DEATH PANNEL" seven years ago.

Some still do.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

Of course it will hurt the poor and help the rich, that is the Republican MO, their raison d'etre.

@R3FURBISHED said:

Planned Parenthood does so many great things, it is a shame it is such a political lightening rod.

_____

From The Atlantic:

In all, the American Health Care Act is roughly a repeal of the Obamacare mandates, a steep rollback of current and future federal commitments to covering people via Medicaid, a replacement of the existing tax credit with one that’s less generous for low-income people but still applies to middle-class people, and a repeal of most of the revenue-generating taxes of the ACA. At first glance, it appears that the most likely result nationally would be a net loss of coverage and a decrease in insurance affordability for many people who are the most vulnerable, but at least some of that effect might be offset by some enhanced state Medicaid payment capabilities and the stability fund. For now, it’s on to markup and the CBO.

Trump is also holding PP hostage; he is saying he will grant them funding if they promise not to do abortions. The man is such a damn coward, it sickens me. He claims to be for LGBTQ, but then he wants to leave it for the states to decide (fail)....and now he claims to be for women's rights, but he is withholding important healthcare from them because of something small like abortions (less than 12% of their services).

@drunk_pi said:

There are people who rely on the ACA who voted for Trump, and that's the depressing part.

Let this be a reminder: If you think both parties are the same, you're a fucking idiot.

From what I understand, this plan isn't popular with some of the GOP congresspersons.

Yeah, remember Caitlyn Jenner a couple weeks ago? Acting all indignant about the bathrooms, like "I can't believe Trump did this!". "Call me" she said to Trump via Twitter. You dumbass, Trump is not going to call you. You're transgender and a Republican.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7256 Posts

@drunk_pi said:
@judaspete said:

Some still do.

And they manage to keep a strait face while doing it. I almost have to respect the bastards for being able pull that off.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R3FURBISHED

@mrbojangles25 said:

Of course it will hurt the poor and help the rich, that is the Republican MO, their raison d'etre.

@R3FURBISHED said:

_____

From The Atlantic:

Trump is also holding PP hostage; he is saying he will grant them funding if they promise not to do abortions. The man is such a damn coward, it sickens me. He claims to be for LGBTQ, but then he wants to leave it for the states to decide (fail)....and now he claims to be for women's rights, but he is withholding important healthcare from them because of something small like abortions (less than 12% of their services).

It's a religion thing, even though no public funds go to funding the abortions that Planned Parenthood provide, it is a highly decisive issues which people wholly associate with PP (granted, they are the largest providers of abortions in the US)

Either way, this thing will probably not pass the Senate -- at least from what I'm reading on day 1.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I'm sure everyone sees the abortion part and it's an issue to worry about but this one will effect you directly

Do you get insurance from your employer? Then you were smart enough not to vote for Trump or any Republican right? Because that would have totally been against your best interest and cost you a hell of a lot of money soon won't it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

30% surcharge if you cancel your healthcare and want it back again. hahahaha the GOP lol

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

That's sad, the mostly poor white people voting for Trump screwed themselves over.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts
@mark1974 said:

I'm sure everyone sees the abortion part and it's an issue to worry about but this one will effect you directly

Do you get insurance from your employer? Then you were smart enough not to vote for Trump or any Republican right? Because that would have totally been against your best interest and cost you a hell of a lot of money soon won't it.

Ah the employers must love this.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

So mandate gone, which was crucial for funding the ACA. Then they removed the cap of x3 spending on eldery vs. young, now increased to x5 lol. But then they allow a 30% surcharge if you drop it and want coverage back? They're essentially providing incentives for people to NEVER get insurance again if they had to drop it due to money problems (or employment). The thought of eliminating the Medicaid expansion is borderline idiotic considering how much it lowers future costs of health coverage. I can't wait for the CBO to tear this apart.

This is what people thought was going to happen. There are absolutely no cost saving implementations, just maneuvers to push costs off of the young and healthy onto the old and sick; from the wealthy to the poor (subsidies now altered).

Trump promised insurance for EVERYONE and lower premiums, and he promised to do both. This plan will do neither. Will his supporters hold him to that promise?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Any tax cut is always going to be a boon for the rich. They pay the most in taxes so it always adds up that way. A tax cut is useless for someone who pays no taxes.

As for the repeal plan, it is awful. I think they are going to hurt businesses, far more than help them. The advantage of the current system is it allows more fluidity in employment. People aren't tied to their jobs for fear of losing insurance and so can move around.

Medicaid cuts also bad as medicaid actually provides some of the cheapest health care in country. Those people will still get health care - at ER's, etc - but now the hospitals and providers will eat more of the cost.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Thousands of innocents will die thanks to this.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@HoolaHoopMan said:

So mandate gone, which was crucial for funding the ACA. Then they removed the cap of x3 spending on eldery vs. young, now increased to x5 lol. But then they allow a 30% surcharge if you drop it and want coverage back? They're essentially providing incentives for people to NEVER get insurance again if they had to drop it due to money problems (or employment). The thought of eliminating the Medicaid expansion is borderline idiotic considering how much it lowers future costs of health coverage. I can't wait for the CBO to tear this apart.

This is what people thought was going to happen. There are absolutely no cost saving implementations, just maneuvers to push costs off of the young and healthy onto the old and sick; from the wealthy to the poor (subsidies now altered).

Trump promised insurance for EVERYONE and lower premiums, and he promised to do both. This plan will do neither. Will his supporters hold him to that promise?

Of course they won't, Trump can do no wrong.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By R3FURBISHED

If anyone wants anymore information how this Republicare/Trumpcare/Ryancare will not be signed into law: AARP Comes out against House Health Bill

"This bill would weaken Medicare's fiscal sustainability, dramatically increase health care costs for Americans aged 50-64 and put at risk the health care of millions of children and adults with disabilities, and poor seniors who depend on the Medicaid program for long-term services and supports and other benefits," said the letter, signed by Joyce A. Rogers, a senior vice president at AARP.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44555 Posts

the Republicans must have upgraded their motivation reel for extra motivation; I don't know how it could have topped the last one...

Loading Video...

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

The best thing the Republicans is to do nothing and let Obamacare take is course.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mattbbpl

@JimB: All they have to do is repeal the darn thing. They've been telling us for nearly a decade now that the law is a disaster.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JimB

@mattbbpl said:

@JimB: All they have to do is repeal the darn thing. They've been telling us for nearly a decade now that the law is a disaster.

It is a disaster, and once they touch it they will own it and will be blamed for every thing that goes wrong in healthcare and the Democratic involvement will be forgotten and glossed over like the Democrats and their treatment of minorities.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

Don't worry once the insurance company lobbyist get involved it will look the same as Obamacare. Gotta love corporate welfare.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HoolaHoopMan

Spice and Trump have already started targeting the CBO a head of their review. Bets on the CBO being 'fake new' or 'fake math'?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Spice and Trump have already started targeting the CBO a head of their review. Bets on the CBO being 'fake new' or 'fake math'?

The CBO has changed, but I don't think I've seen anything substantial under the new dynamic scoring methods (i.e. everything pays for itself :-P). Under those rules don't they give two estimates, one with dynamic scoring and one without?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Terrible new plan. Going to screw people over. Medical care should NEVER be a luxury.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

The CBO has changed, but I don't think I've seen anything substantial under the new dynamic scoring methods (i.e. everything pays for itself :-P). Under those rules don't they give two estimates, one with dynamic scoring and one without?

I have no idea. What changed in their methodology recently?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Link

It's a more aggressive methodology used to blunt the projected costs of tax increases and the like. For example, "tax cuts spur economic growth, which according the Laffer Curve will cause government revenue to increase rather than decrease."

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattbbpl

@JimB said:
@mattbbpl said:

It is a disaster, and once they touch it they will own it and will be blamed for every thing that goes wrong in healthcare and the Democratic involvement will be forgotten and glossed over like the Democrats and their treatment of minorities.

That logic doesn't fly. If the system is worse with the ACA, then repeal it and become heroes.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I thought Trump was going to give healthcare to everyone and have a healthcare so great, that it would make our heads spin.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

All they had to do was work with Obama when it first got brought to the table instead of waiting til it implodes in everyone faces then begin pointing fingers....

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JimB

@tocool340 said:
@mattbbpl said:

All they had to do was work with Obama when it first got brought to the table instead of waiting til it implodes in everyone faces then begin pointing fingers....

They tried to work with Obama even presented him ideas a special meeting Obama called with the GOP leadership and all Obama did at the meeting was insult Eric Cantor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@Gaming-Planet said:

I thought Trump was going to give healthcare to everyone and have a healthcare so great, that it would make our heads spin.

Trump is a liar and a charlatan who after almost two months in office has 0 accomplishments to speak of.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JimB

@mattbbpl said:
@JimB said:
@mattbbpl said:

That logic doesn't fly. If the system is worse with the ACA, then repeal it and become heroes.

The Democrats have (Chuck Schummer ) if the Republicans touch it they own it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic

@perfect_blue said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

Trump is a liar and a charlatan who after almost two months in office has 0 accomplishments to speak of.

Well he has gotten Americans involved in protesting his ass.....

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

George Soros has.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

George Soros has.

Only a fool believes that........people are pissed. Period.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

George Soros has.

LOL thanks for showing everyone you're a moron.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

George Soros has.

What are they pissed about? When ask most of them don't know. I wish somebody would say why they are pissed. George Soros gave millions of dollars to support these demonstrations.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JimB

@perfect_blue said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@perfect_blue said:
@Gaming-Planet said:

George Soros has.

LOL thanks for showing everyone you're a moron.

Maybe you should take your head out of your ass and read the news about George Soros giving millions of dollars for these protests.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@JimB said:

Maybe you should take your head out of your ass and read the news about George Soros giving millions of dollars for these protests.

More conspiracy theory drivel. You are a fool and a prime example of all that's wrong in modern American political discourse.

You've also ignored other people telling you that Flynn wasn't tapped.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@mattbbpl said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

Link

It's a more aggressive methodology used to blunt the projected costs of tax increases and the like. For example, "tax cuts spur economic growth, which according the Laffer Curve will cause government revenue to increase rather than decrease."

Isn't that more in line with recent economic thinking? That huge tax increases won't rake in generous amount of revenue due to economic growth. It definitely does not align with normal conservative rhetoric.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic

@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@perfect_blue said:

George Soros has.

What are they pissed about? When ask most of them don't know. I wish somebody would say why they are pissed. George Soros gave millions of dollars to support these demonstrations.

They don't want the ACA repealed without a plan to continue health coverage for those in need of it......they don't like his swamp filled cabinet.....they don't like his disrespect.....his xenophobia......his lack of experience.....his ties to Russia.....his lies....his conspiracy theories.....his economic plans.....his waste of taxpayer money......the fact that he's constantly on vacation......his treatment of women and minorities.....his attempt to thwart the free press......free speech.....I could go on.....but in short I'll sum it up......he sucks....and he's an embarrassment to the US.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Drunk_PI

@perfect_blue said:
@JimB said:

More conspiracy theory drivel. You are a fool and a prime example of all that's wrong in modern American political discourse.

You've also ignored other people telling you that Flynn wasn't tapped.

IT WAAS GEORGE SOROS!!! INFOWARS!!! FACTS!! ALXE JJONES!!!!!11111111

Why do you hate America?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mattbbpl

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Isn't that more in line with recent economic thinking? That huge tax increases won't rake in generous amount of revenue due to economic growth. It definitely does not align with normal conservative rhetoric.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your context, but I think you misunderstood either me or the article. Dynamic scoring allows for GREATER assumptions about the growth impact of tax cuts, not lesser.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@JimB said:

Do you really think that most people don't know what they dislike about this? Id take this a step further and actually say that not only do they know what they are talking about, but quite a few would be able to take you to school on these topics.

I have been to two town halls and one demonstration over the past few months and have yet to get my Soros check. No one i know who was there got a Soros check and of course the reason for this is because this is absolute nonsense from a far right wing base that had to defend Fox News acting as a wing of the republican party.

@JimB said:

Im going to go ahead and take a shot in the dark and say that the only..........ONLY place you read this stuff is super far right wing blogs and sites (BB, Hannity, Beck, etc.) now i feel very confident in saying this becasue these are the only places that tout this nonsense and when they do they never provide ANYTHING other than their completely made up opinion. We know the things he has funded, hes never been shy about this subject. What most people on these right wing sites tend to do is find someone he has had some previous relationship with who is involved with some other group, and that "some other group" then supports or will simply speak in favor (which is one funny example i saw on freedomthought.com or something) and because these are dense people on the defensive who cannot defend their acts, this is the equation that gets them to Soros is funding everything.

Whats really hilarious is how even if we pretend Soros is guilty of everything you and the lunatic right wants to suggest, it would still only be a fraction of the corrupted, corporate funding within the "side" youre choosing to favor.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JimB

@kod said:
@JimB said:

Do you really think that most people don't know what they dislike about this? Id take this a step further and actually say that not only do they know what they are talking about, but quite a few would be able to take you to school on these topics.

I have been to two town halls and one demonstration over the past few months and have yet to get my Soros check. No one i know who was there got a Soros check and of course the reason for this is because this is absolute nonsense from a far right wing base that had to defend Fox News acting as a wing of the republican party.

@JimB said:

Im going to go ahead and take a shot in the dark and say that the only..........ONLY place you read this stuff is super far right wing blogs and sites (BB, Hannity, Beck, etc.) now i feel very confident in saying this becasue these are the only places that tout this nonsense and when they do they never provide ANYTHING other than their completely made up opinion. We know the things he has funded, hes never been shy about this subject. What most people on these right wing sites tend to do is find someone he has had some previous relationship with who is involved with some other group, and that "some other group" then supports or will simply speak in favor (which is one funny example i saw on freedomthought.com or something) and because these are dense people on the defensive who cannot defend their acts, this is the equation that gets them to Soros is funding everything.

Whats really hilarious is how even if we pretend Soros is guilty of everything you and the lunatic right wants to suggest, it would still only be a fraction of the corrupted, corporate funding within the "side" youre choosing to favor.

Soros gave $287,000,000 for "Day With Out Women" protest alone. You won't find this on any mainstream media outlets because that is not news they will share. It goes against their agenda. You have to read and check numerous sites to try and get the news about what is going on in the world. The media is about money and what ever they feel their readership is, that is the content you will see. You have to spend time to find out what is going on. There is the story and the back story. There are two sides to every story and the truth is some where in the middle. You have to look for it and not take everything on face value. We had a protest a day without women the back story George Soros funded a large part of the protest. Another story Ben Carson said in a speech slaves came to this country as immigrants which caused outrage with the NAACP and Samuel L. Jackson. In December 2015, Former President Obama said the same thing and no out cry from anyone. Both were black me the difference one was conservative and one was a liberal.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 JimB

@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@JimB said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

George Soros has.

They don't want the ACA repealed without a plan to continue health coverage for those in need of it......they don't like his swamp filled cabinet.....they don't like his disrespect.....his xenophobia......his lack of experience.....his ties to Russia.....his lies....his conspiracy theories.....his economic plans.....his waste of taxpayer money......the fact that he's constantly on vacation......his treatment of women and minorities.....his attempt to thwart the free press......free speech.....I could go on.....but in short I'll sum it up......he sucks....and he's an embarrassment to the US.

Is this them speaking or is it you?