Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

So this is an article from Gizmodo which covers the FCC chairman Ajit Pai has opted to remove the deadline for ISPs to collect information on literally everything it's customers do online. That deadline was March 2nd. Pai argued that this rule was unfair to ISPs as it should also include content providers like Google and Facebook as well as Time Warner and Comcast. That said as a consumer you can't get away from your ISP where as if you don't want facebook or google to collect your information you can simply use some other website.

Personally I think that the FCC should leave the current rule in place, and if they really want to work on content providers they should start on that next rather than get rid of a rule that works for one instance only to come up with a more sweeping rule for the entirety of the internet. It would mean more security for their rules which would have to be discussed tackled individually rather than meaning getting rid of everything at once should one large rule get defeated in court. Furthermore it's hard for me to see how the same rule should apply for two different entities that provide vastly different services. To be clear though I think that this is the very reason for the new direction of the FCC, as it will most likely lead to less influence and more power to ISPs.

What do you guys think on this?
http://gizmodo.com/fcc-picks-worst-day-possible-to-block-rules-protecting-1792720994

Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

I think I have a private business relationship with my ISP, a private (i.e. non-government) company. If I have a problem with how my ISP treats my data, I can either do business with another ISP, or not have an ISP at all.

Why is the government involved in this?

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

@collegeboy64 said:

I think I have a private business relationship with my ISP, a private (i.e. non-government) company. If I have a problem with how my ISP treats my data, I can either do business with another ISP, or not have an ISP at all.

Because the internet has been classified as a utility, and is increasingly becoming a necessity in most people's daily lives. Also, many people have only one ISP available to them, and few have more than two, both of which likely have the same privacy practices.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985f1128b98f
deactivated-5985f1128b98f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5985f1128b98f
Member since 2007 • 1914 Posts

@Serraph105 said:
@collegeboy64 said:

Because the internet has been classified as a utility, and is increasingly becoming a necessity in most people's daily lives. Also, many people have only one ISP available to them, and few have more than two, both of which likely have the same privacy practices.

Interesting. I was not aware that the internet is considered a utility.

As for being a necessity........hmmm......can't eat it, can't drink it and can't use it to get out of the rain. Not sure how necessary it is.

Seems like a case of people wanting big brother to protect them from their own lack of self control and discipline. The surest way to not have people find out you did something is to not do it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@collegeboy64 said:

As for being a necessity........hmmm......can't eat it, can't drink it and can't use it to get out of the rain. Not sure how necessary it is.

I bristle at calling it a necessity, but it is a necessity in order to acquire most jobs. That being said, we have a very efficient system of providing computer time/internet access to most people - the public library system.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl

@Serraph105: I think it's dumb and worth raising, but I can't get too worked up over it as I'm watching (with increasing horror) the machinations that make it clear they intend to overturn net neutrality.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@mattbbpl said:
@collegeboy64 said:

I bristle at calling it a necessity, but it is a necessity in order to acquire most jobs. That being said, we have a very efficient system of providing computer time/internet access to most people - the public library system.

Exactly. Taxes pay for such access, if people really need to be connected, that is the option, it does not have to go into someone's home.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl

@WhiteKnight77 said:
@mattbbpl said:
@collegeboy64 said:

Exactly. Taxes pay for such access, if people really need to be connected, that is the option, it does not have to go into someone's home.

The only qualm I have is that local libraries around here are ALWAYS under attack. People use them as a (valid) reason for why such things aren't necessary, and then try to cut them despite touting them just a month prior.

They're kind of the poster child for political doublespeak, in my experience.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@collegeboy64 said:

In a perfect world ya, you would take your business elsewhere. In the real world, however, you often don't have any other options as these companies make sure they are not competing with each other so they can make the most money.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 horgen
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@collegeboy64 said:
@Serraph105 said:
@collegeboy64 said:

Interesting. I was not aware that the internet is considered a utility.

Seems like a case of people wanting big brother to protect them from their own lack of self control and discipline. The surest way to not have people find out you did something is to not do it.

Well lets see. Granted not a US resident, but I guess US will come along as well.

My taxes are done online, unless I went online, used their (Norway's answer to IRS) and specifically told them that I still want my taxes done the old way. I want to apply for a job? Well better do it online because no one is accepting anything else. There is also some information sent out by the government that I think is no longer sent out on paper to my regular mailbox, only a digital one.

It's really a matter of time before it becomes a necessity if it isn't already.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

if an ISP wants to be a content provider and track everything their customers do, then BE A CONTENT PROVIDER.

if an ISP is an ISP, BE AN ISP

stop trying to do both.

my power company doesn't give a shit what i do with the electricity they sell me. their charge is to just sell it to me. should we allow them to install meters and limiters in my home so that only if a own a samsung fridge will it cool my drinks sufficiently? can they limit the electricity sent to a GE refrigerator?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

So this is an article from Gizmodo which covers the FCC chairman Ajit Pai has opted to remove the deadline for ISPs to collect information on literally everything it's customers do online. That deadline was March 2nd. Pai argued that this rule was unfair to ISPs as it should also include content providers like Google and Facebook as well as Time Warner and Comcast. That said as a consumer you can't get away from your ISP where as if you don't want facebook or google to collect your information you can simply use some other website.

Personally I think that the FCC should leave the current rule in place, and if they really want to work on content providers they should start on that next rather than get rid of a rule that works for one instance only to come up with a more sweeping rule for the entirety of the internet. It would mean more security for their rules which would have to be discussed tackled individually rather than meaning getting rid of everything at once should one large rule get defeated in court. Furthermore it's hard for me to see how the same rule should apply for two different entities that provide vastly different services. To be clear though I think that this is the very reason for the new direction of the FCC, as it will most likely lead to less influence and more power to ISPs.

What do you guys think on this?

http://gizmodo.com/fcc-picks-worst-day-possible-to-block-rules-protecting-1792720994

I see the former ISP lobbyist is not being slow about paying his employers back

But this rule should of course be implemented

And just for the record in 2017 the internet is a utility and it being so benefits all not just a few.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@horgen said:

Well lets see. Granted not a US resident, but I guess US will come along as well.

My taxes are done online, unless I went online, used their (Norway's answer to IRS) and specifically told them that I still want my taxes done the old way. I want to apply for a job? Well better do it online because no one is accepting anything else. There is also some information sent out by the government that I think is no longer sent out on paper to my regular mailbox, only a digital one.

The internet is already a necessity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

WHAT? the internet isn't a necessity.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 comp_atkins

@narutosup said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

before this spawns a 2 page back and forth, both sides need to define what they mean by "necessity"

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

@comp_atkins said:
@narutosup said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

before this spawns a 2 page back and forth, both sides need to define what they mean by "necessity"

Considering most employment applications are online only now that in itself makes it a necessity. And don't bother with the library answer as anyone should know not to put personal information.....ie SSN.....absolutely necessary for employment.....on public computers.

Also how some education is done now. Even in physical schools the internet is involved in various ways.

Tax returns are slowly being moved to online filings.

Just a few examples.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@narutosup said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

How so? Maybe not in 1997 or even 2007 but here in 2017 I'd say it's extremely difficult to live without access to the internet in some capacity.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KOD
Member since 2016 • 2754 Posts

@perfect_blue said:

How so? Maybe not in 1997 or even 2007 but here in 2017 I'd say it's extremely difficult to live without access to the internet in some capacity.

Last time i went on vacation i left my phone at home and never had internet access... it was not hard at all and goddamn amazing. So refreshing and relaxing.

I imagine its not hard to live without the internet but im guessing it also depends on the job you have. Even if i wanted to fall off the map except for my job, i'd still be using it there. But if i was a construction worker maybe.

That said the internet should be a part of our infrastructure because if you do live in a modern city then its... i dunno... one step behind a requirement.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I'm thinking that within no-time everybody will use a VPN. Which means ISP's will be able to see less than ever before. The people will have to spend more money on their service than ever before (but not to the ISP). And we're all none the wiser.

Also I hear W3C opened the path to mass browser piracy? They are creating a single DRM API within HTML5 for browsers (so no need to crack multiple plugins or anything like that) AND they are forbidding anyone to tell them about holes in the DRM. They don't want to know XD So that will be a party for everyone, we can soon watch anything we want on our browsers. Huzzah!

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@kod said:
@perfect_blue said:

Last time i went on vacation i left my phone at home and never had internet access... it was not hard at all and goddamn amazing. So refreshing and relaxing.

I imagine its not hard to live without the internet but im guessing it also depends on the job you have. Even if i wanted to fall off the map except for my job, i'd still be using it there. But if i was a construction worker maybe.

That said the internet should be a part of our infrastructure because if you do live in a modern city then its... i dunno... one step behind a requirement.

Shouldn't confuse vacation with everyday life. They aren't the same thing at all.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

@kod said:
@perfect_blue said:

I'm not sure what your point is. The last time I went on vacation, I stopped doing my job. It was not hard at all and goddamn amazing. So refreshing and relaxing.

But then I got home and realized I still needed money, especially after taking a vacation. So I started doing my job again. And most of my job involves sending and receiving e-mails.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KOD

@LJS9502_basic said:

Shouldn't confuse vacation with everyday life. They aren't the same thing at all.

@judaspete said:

But then I got home and realized I still needed money, especially after taking a vacation. So I started doing my job again. And most of my job involves sending and receiving e-mails.

Which is why i said the job was the real qualifier. If you could have a job that also didn't require the internet, it would not be difficult.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 comp_atkins

@LJS9502_basic said:
@comp_atkins said:
@narutosup said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@horgen said:

Considering most employment applications are online only now that in itself makes it a necessity. And don't bother with the library answer as anyone should know not to put personal information.....ie SSN.....absolutely necessary for employment.....on public computers.

Also how some education is done now. Even in physical schools the internet is involved in various ways.

Just a few examples.

just saying. some wouldn't define necessity beyond air, food, water, clothing, shelter, etc..

not trying to be pedantic but one can see this argument playing out way ahead of itself :)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

@comp_atkins said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Just a few examples.

just saying. some wouldn't define necessity beyond air, food, water, clothing, shelter, etc..

not trying to be pedantic but one can see this argument playing out way ahead of itself :)

Ok BUT I'll see that and raise with a job is necessary for food, water, clothing shelter etc.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@judaspete said:

Which is why i said the job was the real qualifier. If you could have a job that also didn't require the internet, it would not be difficult.

Except just about all job applications are online now.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KOD

@LJS9502_basic said:

Yah, it seems like that is true for mcdonalds and walmart and what not. But it doesnt seem to be true for construction jobs or any job that requires a resume instead of an application.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Yah, it seems like that is true for mcdonalds and walmart and what not. But it doesnt seem to be true for construction jobs or any job that requires a resume instead of an application.

Resumes are done online now too. That's what sites like Linkedin, Craigslist, Indeed, and Monster specialize in.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No that's not true. They are online as are resumes.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KOD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Goddamnit man. You cant just take a point and let it go?

The point is there are plenty of jobs out there one can get without needing to be online, period. Take it for what it is and i dont give a shit what you feel like nit picking. I did not apply online to get my job, my brother did not apply online to get his job, my mother did not apply online to get her job..... i can think of at least three people off the top of my head that i know who didnt go online to get their jobs. So deal with it and stop mistaking options for requirements.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

The point is there are plenty of jobs out there one can get without needing to be online, period. Take it for what it is and i dont give a shit what you feel like nit picking. I did not apply online to get my job, my brother did not apply online to get his job, my mother did not apply online to get her job..... i can think of at least three people off the top of my head that i know who didnt go online to get their jobs. So deal with it.

You're wrong and getting bent out of shape. I don't care what you think either but I have to correct errors. So deal with it.

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By KOD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:

The point is there are plenty of jobs out there one can get without needing to be online, period. Take it for what it is and i dont give a shit what you feel like nit picking. I did not apply online to get my job, my brother did not apply online to get his job, my mother did not apply online to get her job..... i can think of at least three people off the top of my head that i know who didnt go online to get their jobs. So deal with it.

You're wrong and getting bent out of shape. I don't care what you think either but I have to correct errors. So deal with it.

You didnt correct an error, you simply want to argue and nit pick for the sake of doing so. You're mistaking an option to do so, with a requirement to do so, that is the only error here. Just because you can go online and submit resumes or applications, does not mean that place requires it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:

You didnt correct an error, you simply want to argue and nit pick for the sake of doing so. You're mistaking an option to do so, with a requirement to do so, that is the only error here. Just because you can go online and submit resumes or applications, does not mean that place requires it.

No I corrected an error. Internet is now the main way employers get applications. Very few don't avail themselves of that. But you aren't going to admit you made a mistake with your silly vacation analogy even though SEVERAL people took you to task for that. And you're getting pissy about the posts which means a nerve as been struck. I commented on your point. You took it to ad hominems. Which says enough about you. You're too invested in being right on this forum. You get into arguments EVERY time you post with various users.

/discussion

KOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KOD

@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@kod said:

No I corrected an error. Internet is now the main way employers get applications. Very few don't avail themselves of that. But you aren't going to admit you made a mistake with your silly vacation analogy even though SEVERAL people took you to task for that. And you're getting pissy about the posts which means a nerve as been struck. I commented on your point. You took it to ad hominems. Which says enough about you. You're too invested in being right on this forum. You get into arguments EVERY time you post with various users.

Sure thing cupcake.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 horgen

Internet access might not yet be a necessity in US. In Norway I will claim it is. It is a vital part ever since you put your kid in kindergarten. You wont be getting any messages from the people there on paper. Everything is sent by email and they refuse to print it.

From there on it just becomes more and more.

Some banks in Norway do not have branches that people can visit. Everything is online. Those which still have it are closing most of them. Opening hours sucks. They close at 1500. A few things can be done over the phone, far from everything.

Want a job? Everything is online.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic

@horgen said:

Internet access might not yet be a necessity in US. In Norway I will claim it is. It is a vital part ever since you put your kid in kindergarten. You wont be getting any messages from the people there on paper. Everything is sent by email and they refuse to print it.

Some banks in Norway do not have branches that people can visit. Everything is online. Those which still have it are closing most of them. Opening hours sucks. They close at 1500. A few things can be done over the phone, far from everything.

It's important in the US. Pay no attention to those who say it isn't. You do need it to function in society.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

if an ISP wants to be a content provider and track everything their customers do, then BE A CONTENT PROVIDER.

stop trying to do both.

my power company doesn't give a shit what i do with the electricity they sell me. their charge is to just sell it to me. should we allow them to install meters and limiters in my home so that only if a own a samsung fridge will it cool my drinks sufficiently? can they limit the electricity sent to a GE refrigerator?

Nice necro bro!

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

@n64dd: Nah, there's a gap between him (post #12) and post #10.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

I went to a seminar a while back, it was on signal processing techniques to figure out what types of devices were being powered on at a time based on load patterns.

So...yeah, will probably need that Samsung fridge at some point :p

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 comp_atkins

@n64dd said:
@comp_atkins said:

stop trying to do both.

Nice necro bro!

it showed up on my first page of threads. if it was necro'd blame gs for their shoddy thread ordering.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 comp_atkins

@achilles614 said:
@comp_atkins said:

I went to a seminar a while back, it was on signal processing techniques to figure out what types of devices were being powered on at a time based on load patterns.

So...yeah, will probably need that Samsung fridge at some point :p

well, shit.

in 5 years we'll be having discussions about electricity neutrality.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@horgen said:

Internet is a necessity in the US. Most of the progress in connectivity comes from the us and today a home is more connected than ever, not to mention work, education and private life uses the internet.

Like with power, gas, heat etc... Internet is a utility that every household should have.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic
@Jacanuk said:
@horgen said:

Internet is a necessity in the US. Most of the progress in connectivity comes from the us and today a home is more connected than ever, not to mention work, education and private life uses the internet.

Like with power, gas, heat etc... Internet is a utility that every household should have.

Yes I've mentioned that several times but kod keeps telling him otherwise because he took a vacation without a smartphone.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By horgen

I just realised this thread is over 6 months old... Leave it open or lock it? (asking since discussion has bloomed again here)