deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Euthanasia needs to be legalized worldwide for both mental and physical health conditions that are chronic. IMO it's inhumane to keep people alive that just suffer their whole lives with no relief or cures. Let me just give you one example of a nightmare scenario that happened in real life. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ZYrYptKu0 can you imagine being this way for the rest of your life? that is hell he is super young and is stuck in this condition for life. If I where his parents I would have him euthanized I know that might sound evil but just imagine what he is going through.

That is just one example there's other people living in their bodies that are basically just prisons at this point from permanently damage conditions. Also mental health conditions that have no cures people should have the option as well. They shouldn't be forced into violent suicides that could end up failing and leaving them in worst shape. Closing thoughts nobody should have to suffer for the rest of their lives just because society or religion says so. Life is unpredictable and bad shit happens sometimes people deserve a peaceful exit rather than a lifetime full of misery.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3739 Posts

I agree. The opposition to this stuff is 100% because of goofy magic beliefs from religious fools.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
@tjandmia said:

I agree. The opposition to this stuff is 100% because of goofy magic beliefs from religious fools.

You sound enlightened.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34690 Posts

Absolutely. If all you do is feeling pain and all you want is to die, to still being kept alive is pretty fucked up.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Eat the rich, and kill the poor.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58413 Posts

I'm not going to go into the mental health aspect of this (that would be an entirely different talk), so with that said let's talk about the physical and medical issues here:

There are many medical conditions, injuries, etc. that are not only incurable but also cause untold amounts of pain. There are tumors that can grow on your spinal cord that are so painful that not even the strongest painkillers can help, but cause so much pain you literally dislocate your joints from spasming so hard (which only adds to the pain, surprise surprise).

Apparently severe radiation poisoning works so fast on your internal organs that painkillers don't work while your body literally dissolves, however it leaves the nervous system fully intact so you feel every single bit of pain up until the end comes.

And let's not even go that far. Not everything has to be worse-case scenario. What if you're 90 years old, disabled, and can't even do anything basic like take a shit or eat without assistance? I don't know about you but I'd like an option to call the game and end it if I ever make it to that age and was starting to suffer.

Life can be great, but life can also be hell, and none of us chose to exist. Give people an option for when life is hell because forcing them to stick around is inhumane.

Speaking as an American, I think in the US we have this puritanical belief that we have to suffer. That there is grace is suffering. That if you have lived your life well and didn't suffer for it, you don't deserve it or something. We need to get over that. Life is life, everything is relative, you can't make comparisons in most scenarios. Don't hold people to your beliefs.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Euthanasia should indeed be legalized worldwide. Personally, I am hoping I am allowed to euthanize myself when I am forced to retire.

I would still prefer being a test subject, if that is possible though.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I'm not going to go into the mental health aspect of this (that would be an entirely different talk), so with that said let's talk about the physical and medical issues here:

There are many medical conditions, injuries, etc. that are not only incurable but also cause untold amounts of pain. There are tumors that can grow on your spinal cord that are so painful that not even the strongest painkillers can help, but cause so much pain you literally dislocate your joints from spasming so hard (which only adds to the pain, surprise surprise).

Apparently severe radiation poisoning works so fast on your internal organs that painkillers don't work while your body literally dissolves, however it leaves the nervous system fully intact so you feel every single bit of pain up until the end comes.

And let's not even go that far. Not everything has to be worse-case scenario. What if you're 90 years old, ambulatory, and can't even do anything basic like take a shit or eat without assistance? I don't know about you but I'd like an option to call the game and end it if I ever make it to that age and was starting to suffer.

Life can be great, but life can also be hell, and none of us chose to exist. Give people an option for when life is hell because forcing them to stick around is inhumane.

Speaking as an American, I think in the US we have this puritanical belief that we have to suffer. That there is grace is suffering. That if you have lived your life well and didn't suffer for it, you don't deserve it or something. We need to get over that. Life is life, everything is relative, you can't make comparisons in most scenarios. Don't hold people to your beliefs.

I agree it' BS that there's this notion like you said that there's grace in suffering. Also to go even farther I think adults should have the right to be to be euthanized without any condition it should be a freedom. Like you said nobody ask to be born it's our lives and our bodies nobody else's.

@Maroxad said:

Euthanasia should indeed be legalized worldwide. Personally, I am hoping I am allowed to euthanize myself when I am forced to retire.

I would still prefer being a test subject, if that is possible though.

I'm with ya I want to be euthanized too.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic

@mrbojangles25 said:

Puritanical? I don't know about that. The US has a wide spectrum of other cultures, not just those from the 1600's. And I don't think being against euthanasia is because people want to suffer, they don't. I think it comes from the belief in life being important. And no one wants to say goodbye to a loved one TBH either.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

Either way you slice the cake Dr. Kevorkian would be proud and give this thread a 10/10.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mrbojangles25
@LJS9502_basic said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Puritanical? I don't know about that. The US has a wide spectrum of other cultures, not just those from the 1600's. And I don't think being against euthanasia is because people want to suffer, they don't. I think it comes from the belief in life being important. And no one wants to say goodbye to a loved one TBH either.

I don't think it means you need to believe in it for it to have an impact on your life. As you said, the US has many cultures, but that doesn't mean cultures won't bleed into one another, especially when a lot of those cultures have Christian roots (a religion where a dying, tortured man is the savior).

I think it has more or less become part of our society in general. You see it all the time. If your back hurts and you take a day off, your boss or coworkers will think lesser of you. If your parents paid for your college tuition, you're spoiled. If you're not dead-ass tired at the end of your workday, you're lazy. You're supposed to suffer and endure and it is ultimately supposed to pay off.

Just stuff like that.

And what I am saying--to get us back to the topic--is that this is nonsense and if your life has been nothing but suffering, maybe another option than grinning and bearing it would be nice.

*Also I've worked labor my whole life, especially as a chef. So I think I am heavily biased in this regard lol. If you want to meet a bunch of flagellating martyrs, work in a kitchen. "Oh man I had to work 16 hours today and I was juicing limes for five hours and my cuticles on my fingers are rotting off. God I love it" shit like that. Might be different for other fields.

@LJS9502_basic said:

..I think it comes from the belief in life being important...

Is it, though?

We live in a society where healthcare is for-profit. It can't be that important to us.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LJS9502_basic
@mrbojangles25 said:

Puritanical is a general term for often draconic views that generally subscribe to religion, specifically Christianity. At least that's how I have always viewed it. I don't think it has to literally mean Puritan beliefs, but it can if you like.

In either case, I don't think it means you need to believe in it for it to have an impact on your life. As you said, the US has many cultures, but that doesn't mean cultures won't bleed into one another, especially when a lot of those cultures have Christian roots (a religion where a dying, tortured man is the savior).

I think it has more or less become part of our society in general. You see it all the time. If your back hurts and you take a day off, your boss or coworkers will think lesser of you. If your parents paid for your college tuition, you're spoiled. If you're not dead-ass tired at the end of your workday, you're lazy. You're supposed to suffer and endure and it is ultimately supposed to pay off.

Just stuff like that.

And what I am saying--to get us back to the topic--is that this is bullshit and if your life has been nothing but suffering, maybe ending it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

And yes no one wants to say bye to a loved one but it's not about you, it's about the loved one. Everyone dies, not everyone get's a choice (but maybe we should) about it.

Maybe way back then but I can tell you today, employees take off for anything they want. They don't particularly care if the boss doesn't like it. They don't have to even be sick. With social media, they get caught as well because self obsessed society has to put their life out there for everyone. LOL

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mrbojangles25

@LJS9502_basic: fair enough.

And yeah my old boss back in the day fired someone for going on social media when they called in sick. Literally called her up after she posted some picture of her on the beach (with a timestamp on it, no less) and was like "Hey, so how are you feeling? Oh ya? Resting in bed? That's good." he just sort of let her talk herself into a hole so deep she couldn't get out of it.

We all got a kick out of it. She was not well-liked lol.

Moral of the story? Don't be friends with your boss on social media. Probably not even coworkers lol

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LJS9502_basic

@mrbojangles25 said:

@LJS9502_basic: fair enough.

And yeah my old boss back in the day fired someone for going on social media when they called in sick. Literally called her up after she posted some picture of her on the beach (with a timestamp on it, no less) and was like "Hey, so how are you feeling? Oh ya? Resting in bed? That's good." he just sort of let her talk herself into a hole so deep she couldn't get out of it.

We all got a kick out of it. She was not well-liked lol.

Moral of the story? Don't be friends with your boss on social media. Probably not even coworkers lol

Where's the fun in that?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

No doubt there are exceptional cases but the principle's open to massive abuse. Like, terminations for the elderly. It once sounded like dystopian science fiction but DNR forms are already the norm for the over-eighties. It's the "compassionate" route (and nothing at all to do with lazy ethics defined by immediate resources).

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
@sancho_panzer said:

No doubt there are exceptional cases but the principle's open to massive abuse. Like, terminations for the elderly. It once sounded like dystopian science fiction but DNR forms are already the norm for the over-eighties. It's the "compassionate" route (and nothing at all to do with lazy ethics defined by immediate resources).

What do you mean terminations for the elderly? Like, the decision would be someone else's to make?

Not sure if that'd be the case.

I didn't realize DNR forms were so scandalous back in the day, though, that's interesting.

As for other abuses, meh, maybe? I mean, it's suicide...we can already do it, it's just kind of a pain in the ass. Although that's sort of the point I guess of it not being legal; the fear of the attempt failing keeps people from trying. No one wants to be the paralyzed survivor that failed to die when jumping, or the mentally-impaired burden that survived a bullet to the brain that had to undergo surgery to repair their face.

In other words, if suicide was easier, more convenient, and a sure-thing...we might see a huge surge in suicides.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:
@sancho_panzer said:

What do you mean terminations for the elderly? Like, the decision would be someone else's to make?

Not sure if that'd be the case.

I didn't realize DNR forms were so scandalous back in the day, though, that's interesting.

As for other abuses, meh, maybe? I mean, it's suicide...we can already do it, it's just kind of a pain in the ass. Although that's sort of the point I guess of it not being legal; the fear of the attempt failing keeps people from trying. No one wants to be the paralyzed survivor that failed to die when jumping, or the mentally-impaired burden that survived a bullet to the brain that had to undergo surgery to repair their face.

In other words, if suicide was easier, more convenient, and a sure-thing...we might see a huge surge in suicides.

Yeah, like e.g. decisions about quality of life would largely be decided by external guidelines and little white lies. Doesn't sound at all alien or surprising to me.

I don't know if you've had an elderly relative hospitalised recently, but in the UK there's tremendous pressure (to the point of harassment) to complete the form - every time you visit, with no opt-out possible. Once a culture absorbs the notion that there's an acceptable principle somewhere behind it, that it's the right thing to do - unburden families for the sake of the supposed common good - we've started our descent down the slipperiest of slopes.

Sure, there are exceptional cases, but from a utilitarian perspective, I'm more interested in the broader effects of this kind of principle. I must say it's interesting to find someone who believes DNRs have already been justified and normalised. Doubly so that he's also a proponent of expanding euthanasia "rights". Maybe moving from accepting the one to swallowing the other isn't such a long slide after all.