Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

As a gay boy despite the recent lifting of the trans bathroom protection law Im still happy with Trump and think the LGBTQ ?️‍? community should give him a chance! Trump is the most LGBTQ friendly republican we've had and he's the first president to support gay marriage on day 1 of his presidency!

ass_effect2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ass_effect2
Member since 2017 • 35 Posts

We need to respect all people as brothers/sisters if they are sick they need our help not hate.

Now while there is a section of people who hate most Republicans respect LGBT but also understand need to respect religious beliefs and the rights of common law and Obama's "transgender bathroom" law was ruled unconstitutional before Trump was even elected.

The Schools and States can make accommodations for "LGBT" needs there is no strong case for Federal intervention as courts have ruled, courts appointed by Democrats even.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

I think with the passage of that transgender bathroom EO, a lot of good faith has been removed (if there was any). It came as a shock (though not a surprise) even to me, seeing as he didn't ride a huge anti-LGBT wave into victory.

It all seemed unnecessary (politically), so it's difficult to not conclude that he doesn't really care about transgender rights. In my personal opinion, it's not enough to be "tolerant", the LGBT community faces a lot of discrimination from work to housing (40% of homeless people are LGBT) to parenting to safety (high rates of sexual assault and suicide). To combat this, we need proactive and progressive legislation. It's not really good enough that things remain a stalemate (or in the case of Trump, go backwards). A stalemate means the continuation of suffering. People need help, things need to get better.

I don't have much reason to be optimistic, but I just hope it doesn't get worse.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Translation: "Sure he beats me and wants to take away my right to eat in the same kitchen, but he loves me!"

Trump's picks do not suggest that he's friendly towards gay rights. Note, supporting gay marriage is fine but when you allow companies to openly discriminate against gay couples, it's a whole different story that's reminiscent of Jim Crow.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@elpresador-911: I am a LGBTQ supporter (and more generally support equality for all people) who sees Trump doing the opposite of supporting our country's LGBTQ citizens. Yes it's true that he will do nothing to fight marriage equality, but his first month in office he has actually done two things in one that undermine equality. The first and most obvious thing he did was to allow states to decide whether it's schools would allow transgender students to use the bathrooms of their choice. The second thing however is hidden within this rule, it helps set a precedent for civil rights once again become a state issue. Historically state governments tend to disagree on whether everyone should really be treated equally. That's why the federal government have generally overruled state governments on this issue and said, "No you can't discriminate against this or that group of people for any reason."

Trump and the Republicans have seen fit to undermine that almost immediately when they got back in power. Why? I'll let you figure out the answer to that question.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

lol you people are such drama queens. It's great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Gay marriage and transgender issues are very different. There are some that support one and not the other.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@n64dd said:

lol you people are such drama queens. It's great.

Now, as far as Trump and "supporting" equal rights, I think we all know his common response is that "it should be left up to the states to determine" which is pretty much a cop out and a lame way to weasel out of taking an important stand on equality.

Even in the hippie dippy liberal capital of the US, California, marriage equality was shot down a mere few years ago when Prop 8 was passed. This is what we call the tyranny of the majority. Sometimes, the masses don't know what is fair, or they let fear get the best of them, or they can't think rationally, or they just don't know.

So Trump can sit up there in his tower and give lip service and go "Yeah, sure, I tooooootally care about gays!" without actually doing anything about it.

In short, any LGBTQ folks that think Trump supports them have been suckered, and if his latest actions haven't convinced you of this, you're in for a long 4/8 years.