Your thoughts on PSN+

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Getix-01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 Getix-01
Member since 2007 • 454 Posts

So i just read all the details on PSN+ and personally i think it's the biggest waste of money i've seen in a long time. Us PS3 gamers have been begging Sony to improve their service, by doing simple things like adding cross game chat and the ability to play music in-game. Then Sony announce PSN+ and everyone gets hopes of everything they wanted to be included, but then they give stuff that PS3 gamers don't care about free mini games an discounts with a free copy of little big planet.

I read that sony only done this to reduce the risk of alienating free PSN users... WTF? If I am going to be paying for this service then I want what i want! Screw free PSN users, if they dont want the new services then they don't buy it, why would sony do this ... other than making a bit of cash of course?

whats your thoughts on the new PSN service guys?

NatsumeKonno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 NatsumeKonno
Member since 2009 • 350 Posts

It will only get better in time. If you dont like it then dont buy it. Sure the launch stuff are lame and i might not even get it till maybe near end of the year when maybe something better happens. That extra 3 months free is just leting you get your money worth as the first 3 months looks horrible.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MushroomWig
Member since 2009 • 11625 Posts

£200 worth of stuff for £50 a year, it's a bargin. I can't wait to sign up.

amber-lilley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 amber-lilley
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Meh, I don't care much for the idea, and I'm probably not going to ever buy it (although some of the free stuff sounds somewhat tempting), but I'm just scared that in the longrun the free PSN is going to suck and sort of force you to get PSN+

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

I'd sign up if they give me the Demon Souls dynamic themes.

schizo_talon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 schizo_talon
Member since 2010 • 249 Posts

I'm getting it, got my new 500 GB hard drive installed to have more than enough space for the games. Really looking forward more to the exclusive beta testing and demo first that should start happening. Discounted prices on things will be nice too. I'll download all the free games even if I don't play them, heck they are free right.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Meh, I don't care much for the idea, and I'm probably not going to ever buy it (although some of the free stuff sounds somewhat tempting), but I'm just scared that in the longrun the free PSN is going to suck and sort of force you to get PSN+

amber-lilley

Outside of online connectivity for titles and the occasional text, what do you use PSN for? I buy content, I get demos, but outside of that I really don't need betas or "free" (*koff*licensed rental*koff*) titles, I have a hard enough time focusing on the pile infront o me to bother with monthly "distractions" -

:D

I have... seven games right now, that's more than enough without getting soaked for a few more shekel, and what will I do with it? PSN-Zero (shall we call it) is juuuuust FINE as it stands, as long as they allow me to buy DLC and get into games on the one FPS I play competively and even the occasional NetFlix, that's good enough. No "+" for me. They're going to have to really raise the bar in terms of services, not "free" content and 20% discounts on DLC, in order to get me interested.

jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

So i just read all the details on PSN+ and personally i think it's the biggest waste of money i've seen in a long time. Us PS3 gamers have been begging Sony to improve their service, by doing simple things like adding cross game chat and the ability to play music in-game. Then Sony announce PSN+ and everyone gets hopes of everything they wanted to be included, but then they give stuff that PS3 gamers don't care about free mini games an discounts with a free copy of little big planet.

I read that sony only done this to reduce the risk of alienating free PSN users... WTF? If I am going to be paying for this service then I want what i want! Screw free PSN users, if they dont want the new services then they don't buy it, why would sony do this ... other than making a bit of cash of course?

Getix-01

Links? First of all, yes it's to make cash... that's kinda what companies do. I'm guessing they'll use the cash to improve the network. How would they be alienating free users? PS3 gamers don't like free games? Really? IMO, it's a great service that Sony is doing us with PS+. $50 per year gets you 4 "free" games per month, full-game trials, beta access, Qore, auto downloading, early access to demos, and whatever else Sony adds later. There's also bigger discounts in the PS Store for Plus subscribers. EU subscribers get LBP:GOTY, and US subscribers get 3 months free if we buy one year sub. So, let's do the math shall we... Qore ($25), 1 PSN game (at least $5), 2 minis (at least $10), 1 PSone classic (at least $5), 3 free months ($18). Now the games are provided each month... so we have at least $5 per game at 48 games per year = $240. Grand total for one year subscription = $283 (this does not include the content during the 3 free months). $50 < $283 = not really a waste of money, IMO. Sony has said that they will be provided the same ammount of content each month. I believe x-game chat is coming soon, just not on the 29th when Plus releases. In-game music isn't that big for me because the game soundtrack usually coinsides with what's happening in the game and increases the level of immersion for the gamer.

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

I probably won't get it anyways, thank goodness they're not charging for regular PSN.

schizo_talon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 schizo_talon
Member since 2010 • 249 Posts

Also I just say this so I figure to post it here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/24/playstation-plus-your-questions-answered/.

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#12 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

Do not want.

I already have Xbox Live, which I tolerate, since I've always paid for it. The difference is I rarely use PSN for much of anything, sometimes I buy a small game or something, but nothing big. I've only played Warhawk online for a long span of time.

For the E3 conference I got really excited when they said you got games for signing up, but that is just for the span of while you are paying for PSN+. Though I understand why they are doing this, I don't see how any of the features would get me to pay another $50 a year.

Perhaps when it comes out I'll consider getting it 6 months after XBL resubscribes so I can has both and only pay $50 every 6 months. At this time, I see no benefit though.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MushroomWig
Also: Automatic updates - I'm sold!
Ospov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ospov
Member since 2007 • 3708 Posts

Actually, this is the biggest waste of money ever.

altairs_mentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 altairs_mentor
Member since 2009 • 696 Posts
[QUOTE="jshaas"]

[QUOTE="Getix-01"]

Links? First of all, yes it's to make cash... that's kinda what companies do. I'm guessing they'll use the cash to improve the network. How would they be alienating free users? PS3 gamers don't like free games? Really? IMO, it's a great service that Sony is doing us with PS+. $50 per year gets you 4 "free" games per month, full-game trials, beta access, Qore, auto downloading, early access to demos, and whatever else Sony adds later. There's also bigger discounts in the PS Store for Plus subscribers. EU subscribers get LBP:GOTY, and US subscribers get 3 months free if we buy one year sub. So, let's do the math shall we... Qore ($25), 1 PSN game (at least $5), 2 minis (at least $10), 1 PSone classic (at least $5), 3 free months ($18). Now the games are provided each month... so we have at least $5 per game at 48 games per year = $240. Grand total for one year subscription = $283 (this does not include the content during the 3 free months). $50 < $283 = not really a waste of money, IMO. Sony has said that they will be provided the same ammount of content each month. I believe x-game chat is coming soon, just not on the 29th when Plus releases. In-game music isn't that big for me because the game soundtrack usually coinsides with what's happening in the game and increases the level of immersion for the gamer.

you just got told.
evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
this is just opne of htose things that sony thinks will do great but will ultimatley fail do to lack of suppport from customers. at that piont they will prly either give up on it or they will be like ms and make u pay for everything online
amber-lilley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 amber-lilley

[QUOTE="amber-lilley"]

MonkeySpot

Outside of online connectivity for titles and the occasional text, what do you use PSN for? I buy content, I get demos, but outside of that I really don't need betas or "free" (*koff*licensed rental*koff*) titles, I have a hard enough time focusing on the pile infront o me to bother with monthly "distractions" -

:D

I have... seven games right now, that's more than enough without getting soaked for a few more shekel, and what will I do with it? PSN-Zero (shall we call it) is juuuuust FINE as it stands, as long as they allow me to buy DLC and get into games on the one FPS I play competively and even the occasional NetFlix, that's good enough. No "+" for me. They're going to have to really raise the bar in terms of services, not "free" content and 20% discounts on DLC, in order to get me interested.

I buy content as well, constantly download demos and other little things here and there so it's just not that necessary for me I guess. Plus, if I bought into the whole PSN+ thing, a lot more of my time would be spent playing my PS3 which I can't really afford now that I'm going to start college/work/etc.

I guess it just seems more practical for some people more than others.

evilmaster2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 evilmaster2424
Member since 2009 • 2060 Posts
ru serious they actually made something like that
amber-lilley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 amber-lilley

this is just opne of htose things that sony thinks will do great but will ultimatley fail do to lack of suppport from customers. at that piont they will prly either give up on it or they will be like ms and make u pay for everything onlineevilmaster2424

That was a concern of mine for a bit (PSN becoming pay-only), but I don't think it would happen. PSN has been free for too long for Sony to just take that away from everyone. Newcomers to PS3 would be really ticked off that people were entitled to something for such a long time that they don't have access to anymore - it's just not fair and I think it would greatly effect their sales. My opinion, at least.

SaaM-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SaaM-x
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

As I pay for Xbox Live I am still undecided on whether to sign up for PSN+. I like the idea of games, themes and a few discounts but is it really worth £40 a year? In all honesty I never really play PSN games, I own 1 of them which is Flower but there are a few I want to play such as Wipeout HD and Joe Danger, these are the only ones that really catch my eye. I think what Sony really needs to do is completely re design the XMB, include PS2 games on the store, enable cross game chat, re design users profiles and add a whole lot more themes and avatars to the store. If all of these things do get done in the future then I will definatley consider signing up for PSN+, but for now I think I may just give 3 months a go for £12 and see what that's like.

MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MushroomWig

Actually, this is the biggest waste of money ever.

Ospov

anzelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 3

#22 anzelm
Member since 2004 • 902 Posts
I already own all of the starting offer games. As it seems now PSN+ su**s!! If they improve the content and add some useful functionality, then maybe.
anzelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 anzelm
Also, the European PSN+ offers is better than the US. They include Little Big Planet which will be yours to keep even after subscription ends.
MushroomWig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MushroomWig
Also, the European PSN+ offers is better than the US. They include Little Big Planet which will be yours to keep even after subscription ends.anzelm
True but come on, LBP? The sequel is out soon, everyone I know owns the original already. Most EU users (like myself) would much rather have the extra 3 months.
hxczuner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 hxczuner
Member since 2009 • 2672 Posts
[QUOTE="anzelm"]Also, the European PSN+ offers is better than the US. They include Little Big Planet which will be yours to keep even after subscription ends.MushroomWig
True but come on, LBP? The sequel is out soon, everyone I know owns the original already. Most EU users (like myself) would much rather have the extra 3 months.

Yeah, I'm so glad I get the 3 free months instead.
anzelm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 anzelm
If I got to choose I actually would too. I already got LBP.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I'm gonna sign up. It doesn't hurt to try out the services for a year (or 15 months right if we sign up immediately?) and the discounts and free games sort of pay for the subscription itself. I already have LBP, but I don't have Wipeout HD. Still, it doesn't hurt to have a backup copy of the game just in case something happens to the disc. Plus we get to keep it no matter what we do with the service.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
If they added a feature to automatically back up your saved games to an online server every couple of weeks, and you could re-download them just by logging into your account on another PS3, I bet everybody would subscribe. They'd have to impose a space limit, but it's cheap enough to just host data that they could do this.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

If they added a feature to automatically back up your saved games to an online server every couple of weeks, and you could re-download them just by logging into your account on another PS3, I bet everybody would subscribe. They'd have to impose a space limit, but it's cheap enough to just host data that they could do this.guynamedbilly

That would be incredible. It stinks when you try to back up your data on a USB drive and the game saves are locked. That pisses me off.