Yellow flashing light and red flashing light

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 VDWolfer
Member since 2003 • 593 Posts

I'm sorry if my question seems off but I am just curious, is there a different with yellow flashing light and red flashing light. Mine is green then it turns yellow, then it starts flashing red. So i take it its the flashing light of red. I know this is bad. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep my files. One thing is the hard drive isn't the factory one, it was a 300 gb seagate so i was able to switch it out so i still have the 300. however, how do i get my files. I haven't sent my ps3 yet and i have to, my strikeforce game is stuck in the system.

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

You have YLoD. And I don't believe there is a way, but I'm not completely positive.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

yep YLOD
you can't save your files now
maybe if you can find someone to quick fix it then find a way to back it up
then go out and buy a slim
it's what i did

VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VDWolfer

Yeah i figure that and thats why i know i'm not at a lost yet. I did get the enclosure kit and think that might help. I know already that it won't work on computer. I will say it will be a surprise if they fix it and send it back. My only concern is just getting my games file so i can use them. if i have to wait for it to be repaired that fine.

VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VDWolfer

yep YLOD
it's what i did

GC4ever

really i will keep that in mind, still i need to get my game out. i did see about that.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

Yeah i figure that and thats why i know i'm not at a lost yet. I did get the enclosure kit and think that might help. I know already that it won't work on computer. I will say it will be a surprise if they fix it and send it back. My only concern is just getting my games file so i can use them. if i have to wait for it to be repaired that fine.

VDWolfer

if you send it to sony they wipe your HDD clean
the only thing that is daved is your trophies and multiplayer data that stored on their servers

VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VDWolfer

yeah i know, i'm going to see if i can find someone who could possible quick fix so i can get my files out. thats my concern. Least there is one small bright side, its a good thing that i saved all my files last year in December so not so bad but still trying to see what i can do.

seadran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 seadran
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

well i got that 2 times. youtube helped me save money, and since i fixed it everything is the same. i have all my data and my blue-ray drive works fine. by just buying what i need (which came up to about 40 somethin dollars) and having time saved(instead of shipping and yada yada) instead sending it to sony. one thing you will need definately is some kind of air duster can to blow out everything as you take it apart. and thermal compound is needed to keep the ps3 cool. watch the video on how to fix it. i recommend gilsky, since he also shows how to put the ps3 back together.

if your fan is very loud after the fix, you either put to little, or to much thermal compound (which is how i got ylod second time)

i have the 60 gig launch ps3

VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 VDWolfer

can you give me a link to the repair please. thank you.

seadran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 seadran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo&feature=related

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 crashndash
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
i dont get why no one sends theirs in for repairs? anyways you got YLOD. if you send it in you can get the whole thing repaired and tell them what game you have inside and they will get it out for you and i think they saved my friends data when he sent his in. or the other option is a DIY job where you haveto open it up and remove the old thermal compound and replace it. also you may need to use a heat gun to fix the circuit, those you tube videos can explain it. now repairs will cost a bit but its also a good chance to get any other problems fixed and even get a full internal clean.
VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VDWolfer

interesting. yeah, i feel that there is a chance they could jsut repair it. they didn't say they would have to refurbish, i mean they said they weren't sure but wasn't exact. still this is all very helpful information.

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 crashndash

interesting. yeah, i feel that there is a chance they could jsut repair it. they didn't say they would have to refurbish, i mean they said they weren't sure but wasn't exact. still this is all very helpful information.

VDWolfer
dont worry its not to big of a job, but if u do send it in they will fix it along with clear the dust inside and check any other problems. they will tell u what problems there are and how much it will cost and then u pay the amount they fix it and finally all is finished and u get your ps3 back all spick and span clean with your game in a blank case in a well packaged brown box. its not a matter of replacing the parts its just a matter of fixing the soldering and renewing the thermal compound and cleaning any buildups inside =) oh but the postage is the thing u gotta look out for lol thats where the money kicks in a fair bit
VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VDWolfer

yeah, you see if i knew what the problem was, i be fine with sending it. i mean i want to send it in but i'm more concern about my files so if i get my same system, thats good but if i have to get a refurbish one, i want to have a way to get the files out of my harddrive.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

yep YLOD
it's what i did

GC4ever

Again! the yellow light is not a defect in the PS3 like the 360, it is just an indicator that an internal component is not working. Most of these cases a caused by the user without them knowing, an example is putting the system in an encased area without proper ventilation.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 soulreaper-4

[QUOTE="VDWolfer"]

GC4ever

if you send it to sony they wipe your HDD clean
the only thing that is daved is your trophies and multiplayer data that stored on their servers

You are wrong they erased your data if you receive a replacement not if you receive your same unit.

VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VDWolfer

well i take good care of my system but that doesn't change how it is now. i mean i play on a table that is glass and there is nothing block it. i mean my other systems are there but they aren't neck and neck. so i give it a lot of ventatilation. still that is still helpful info. Also I don't care about trophies. They don't mean much to me. I just like to save my savepoints and time from games. i hate to have to start over tahts all.

seadran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 seadran

well with ylod it has nothing to do with hard drive. its just the gpu and cpu (the 2 big squares on motherboard) got over heated and seperated from it. so all you gotta do is heat it up with a heat gun and your good to go. if your worried about dust you can go to one of computers stores like frys, and buy one of those computer made vacuums that sucks dust out without damaging anything

VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 VDWolfer

really i will look into that.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soulreaper-4

well with ylod it has nothing to do with hard drive. its just the gpu and cpu (the 2 big squares on motherboard) got over heated and seperated from it. so all you gotta do is heat it up with a heat gun and your good to go. if your worried about dust you can go to one of computers stores like frys, and buy one of those computer made vacuums that sucks dust out without damaging anything

seadran
Getting a yellow light doesn't always means a separation from the GPU or CPU.
bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

I think the apocolypse is happening for phat PS3s right now, sorry to hear about it, you'll just have to send it to Sony or buy a slim (I recommend the slim, the phat will probably end up dying within a few moths of getting it back

VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 VDWolfer

yeah i know. i'm just seeing if i can just get my saved files. I mean if i can get it to work for 5 or ten minutes just to transfer it to a flash drive, i be happy. If i have to get a new system, thats fine, i just want to have my saved files. You got to admit this makes you appreciate the days when you have a playstation 2 and kept your files on memory cards. Of course i still have my playstation 2. I don't care if i lose my trophies, they don't mean much to me.

Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts
[QUOTE="seadran"]

soulreaper-4

90 percent of the time it is
crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 crashndash

yeah i know. i'm just seeing if i can just get my saved files. I mean if i can get it to work for 5 or ten minutes just to transfer it to a flash drive, i be happy. If i have to get a new system, thats fine, i just want to have my saved files. You got to admit this makes you appreciate the days when you have a playstation 2 and kept your files on memory cards. Of course i still have my playstation 2. I don't care if i lose my trophies, they don't mean much to me.

VDWolfer
ok i was just backing up stuff on my ps3 today and there is a way to completely move ur ps3 over to another ps3, if you go into that system information bit (the thing that looks like a cube made of 3 squares) theres a option where you can copy over your whole system to another system. if you can get your ps3 working and u choose to move on to a slim i recomend u do that. but if you love your fat ps3 as much as i do depending on the problem they usually can save all ur data and dont need to give u a whole new system, this is in the case of if u havnt damaged it by dropping it or any serious damage. i just noticed today my fat ps3 was miss behaving by when i turn it off the green light flashes 12 times rather than when it useto flash like 4 times so if you hear anything from me about my ps3 getting a ylod i think i may of found a warning sign but if mine does ylod on me i will send it into sony to get it fixed (* knock on wood *)
Respawn-d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Respawn-d
Member since 2010 • 2936 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

This is how I fixed my ylod ps3 by myself. Dont give sony your money man. They dont even give back your saves

crashndash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 crashndash
[QUOTE="Respawn-d"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70SgRDVcBo

This is how I fixed my ylod ps3 by myself. Dont give sony your money man. They dont even give back your saves

my friend got his back with the saves.... O.o maybe sony does it differently in different countries
VDWolfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 VDWolfer

What is DA foliage. Ok just a heads up, mine is the 20G one. i had it around when the wii came out. Are you saying doing that repair will bring it back to life. well i will have a professional i know look at it and the video.

jyoung312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jyoung312
Member since 2003 • 4971 Posts

yep YLOD
it's what i did

GC4ever

Ditto that. I fixed it twice, it worked for a month each time, it died again, I sold it on amazon, bought a slim.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soulreaper-4
[QUOTE="Respawn-d"][QUOTE="soulreaper-4"][QUOTE="seadran"]

90 percent of the time it is

Wow you know pecenstage and all, you must be a Sony rep from the repair center.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soulreaper-4

[QUOTE="GC4ever"]

yep YLOD
it's what i did

jyoung312

Ditto that. I fixed it twice, it worked for a month each time, it died again, I sold it on amazon, bought a slim.

That's the proof that it isn't reapair by using those youtube videos. When you repair it that way and they system keeps failing again it means that's not the way to fix it. I've saw many peoples with the first 60GB model and after almost four years they are working perfectly.