Wow, RED FACTION 3 looks amazing! (mini-preview inside).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for gintheplacetobe
gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gintheplacetobe
Member since 2003 • 4512 Posts

It's previewed in the latest Game Informer, and I have to say that Red Faction 3 (official title is RED FACTION: GUERRILLA) is looking to be an amazing game. Since no info (besides this preview) is really available right now, I thought I'd summarize some of the cool new feature for you guys! :)

- It will now be played from the third-person perspective and will feature a cover mechanic (like Gears of War or Uncharted).

- The environmental damage that made the series stand out has been upgraded significantly. Not only will you be able to blast a hole through any wall, but damage it enough and it might cause the whole building to collapse under it's own weight! The new system is so advanced that they claimed the developers had to learn the basics of architecture design, otherwise the buildings they put up using their editors would just collapse as soon as they finished it. The preview described blasting up a building from the inside to kill enemies on the levels above you... but then hearing the building creaking under it's own weight and seeing pieces of the ceiling begin to fall, meaning...get the heck out of there! You could even damage a single support beam for a bridge, so that it doesn't collapse until a convoy of enemy vehicles drive over it!

GI wrote, "Do you use the high-end explosive that are guaranteed to blow through a door? Do you cautiously make your way through the overstressed structure? Or do you box the enemy inside the place and try to send the whole building collapsing on his head?"

- Red Faction 3 continues the story of mine workers on Mars rebelling against the evil corporation that keeps them there against their will.

-I forget if they were in the past games, but #3 will feature plenty of drivable vehicles

- The game is going to be set in a giant, persistent, sandbox world! Wage guerrilla warfare (hence the title) any way you see fit. All possible targets are rated on how much of a negative impact they make on the corporation, with bigger targets also coming with a higher risk of retaliation. Take over a main enemy HQ, and they may try to take it back at any time (and put up heavier defenses in the process). Or the enemy may destroy some of your safe house they knew about.

Players can attack anything they want and recruit other resistance fighters for the task. Or you can get missions from conversation and radio chatter with your team-mates. Hurt the enemy enough in a given area, and the resistance movement may decide to stage a huge assault without any input from the player. You will now have the decision to join the assault, or to play a support role and weaken the defenses in a completely separate attack from the main forces assault, or you can even just go about your business as normal.

Also all of the NPC's will follow schedules(like Oblivion). Notice that an enemy patrol drives through an area everyday at noon? Recruit some team-mates, set up some mines in the road, and ambush them!

And that about sums it up. This game is currently scheduled for the end of 2008. Hope your as excited as I am after reading this thread!

G-Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 G-Legend
Member since 2005 • 7387 Posts
I was super excited bout this game. Then they said it was multi-plat and I was like okay that's fair i guess. I wanted them to utilize the PS3's powers and have an amazing next-gen shooter just like what Red faction did for the PS2 the destructible environments were amazing. But anyways I didn't really mind that it was going multi-plat, but once I read that it was 3rd person I'm very skeptical about this game now. I'm not sure if I want to get it I need to see some gameplay first I guess.
BrettB7400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BrettB7400
Member since 2007 • 3401 Posts
I dont know if Im gonna like it now because its gonna be third person instead of first person. I will have to wait and see how well it plays before buying it. I loved the first game but never played the 2nd game.
Hububalub2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hububalub2
Member since 2007 • 1922 Posts
Ugh... Third-person?
gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gintheplacetobe
Most people on these forums seems to always complain about the excess of FPS games coming out... And know you guys are complaining that this game ISN'T a FPS?!?! :?
haesuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 haesuse
Member since 2007 • 739 Posts

hell yeah! that sounds amazing, if it really is that open ended/sandbox designed it could easily be the sickest thing u've ever played. i mean just think about waging a complete non-linear guerilla war in a game...unreal. Also i am digging the 3rd person thing. In those cases it is much easier to stage such grand things these guys are planing than it is in fps games!

now if it would just be PS3 exclusive and come out as freaking soon as they can do it...oh man, christmas in w/e month it comes out!!! lol

Gimax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gimax1
Member since 2008 • 177 Posts

That's a nice post. Thx for sharing.

And yeah... I can't wait now :D

LAboy06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 LAboy06
Member since 2006 • 2445 Posts

Cool! Reminds me of Mercenaries...kind of.

The only problem is that I didn't like the first Red Faction. Oh well, I might give this one a try!

gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gintheplacetobe
I just found out that the reason for the third person perspective is that this game will make heavy use of cover mechanics
CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 CommanderTy
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
Most people on these forums seems to always complain about the excess of FPS games coming out... And know you guys are complaining that this game ISN'T a FPS?!?! :?gintheplacetobe
I for one never complain about the FPS games but TPS is just way gross only GeoW and sorta WarhawK are my TPS
Calfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Calfour
Member since 2006 • 561 Posts
I just got that Game Informer today and that article was so amazing. I love how buildings can actually collapse and how realistic physics are used in the destruction. It's kind of what I was hoping for in Battlefield: Bad Company but all that you can do in that game is blow holes in the exterior walls of the buildings.
CommanderTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 CommanderTy
Member since 2007 • 2285 Posts
I just found out that the reason for the third person perspective is that this game will make heavy use of cover mechanicsgintheplacetobe
whoa whoa whoa, it has the cover base system?!?!?!?!?! well if this is true im going to take a look into it now
Hububalub2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Hububalub2
Member since 2007 • 1922 Posts

I was moaning about third-person because Red Faction doesn't seem to be a TPS-type game but now that it's a cover-based game I'll have to reevaluate what I said.

gintheplacetobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gintheplacetobe

[QUOTE="gintheplacetobe"]I just found out that the reason for the third person perspective is that this game will make heavy use of cover mechanicsCommanderTy
whoa whoa whoa, it has the cover base system?!?!?!?!?! well if this is true im going to take a look into it now

Looks like maybe I should edit the original post, lol.