Would you get a beefed up Ps4 Even if you own a ps4 already?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

accesdenied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you get a beefed up Ps4 Even if you own a ps4 already? (22 votes)

yes 32%
no 32%
depends on specs 50%

I read an article on this topic. sony just flirted with the idea but from what I got they lose more than what they gain.

But I notice they over promise and underpay, I remeber the original Ps3 annoucement with the batarang controller, those specs were amazing, but they chopped the system up to make it affordable. If anyone can find the original ps3 specs feel free to post.

Anyways, all the 4k hype and new graphic cards and steam machines, why not make a ps4 machine that is either has customization depending on the owner, (i mean we are alredy able to swap hard drives why not, graphics card, sound, and power) but still using the ps4 interface and mother board.

• 
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

No, because the vast majority of devs wouldn't support the .5+, beefed up version of a machine.

They would follow the money. The money is in the CURRENT 28+ million and growing install base...and right now the PS4 is already the number one selling console by a large margin.

Furthermore the PS4 is already the most powerful console on the market.

No point in buying a updated machine that would have almost no support/divided support. A tiny few devs would throw out half assed support and call it a day. It's simply too risky to cut off the current install base to support a new half measured machine.

Developers would have no incentive to tap the extra juice of the hardware and would lazily slap current PS4/Xbone games on it.

It won't happen and people that have been in the industry long enough should stop making articles like this every generation as all it does is confuse people every five years into thinking it's a good idea when it's actually a terrible idea.

We already have many historical examples of this idea not catching on from the Sega Genesis, Saturn, N64, New 3DS, etc.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2  Edited By polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@SolidTy:

The N3ds is a perfect example. It has like one game that is exclusive to it.

accesdenied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 accesdenied
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts

@SolidTy: I actually agree with that.

peruwolf93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 peruwolf93
Member since 2010 • 110 Posts

@polishkid99: was about to say the same thing

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#5 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

No and it's a horrible idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@polishkid99: Yeah the N3DS was a terrible idea. I was optimistic at first, but an entire year went by and it only had one exclusive game to make use of that added power - and that was a port - annnnnd it still had poor screen resolution.

Anyway... this beefed up PS4 thing... No, I don't think it's a good idea. It should have been "beefed up" from the start.

This is actually probably a thought Sony had to compete with claims that the Nintendo NX could be more powerful than the PS4, making it the most powerful system on the market when it launches.

My thing is, I've had the PS4 since launch, and still don't really have a game for it that impresses me. Right now we have two games for the system on disc - one is a multiplat, the other is a port of a PS2 game, and both of them are my wife's. The game I have on the PS4 that I've enjoyed the most is probably Hotline Miami, and its sequel - and those definitely don't harness the system's full power.

It doesn't matter to me if the PS4 is as powerful as it is now, or more powerful. The thing is, it really doesn't have the games.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No I wouldn't