Would Like an Honest Opinion on PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

Recently I've been kind of bummed out on my 360. I mean, looking ahead, there's nothing that looks exciting with the exception of Gears of War 3. The PS3 on the other hand has tons of interesting exclusives coming out and a great catalogue of previously released games.

I'm thinking of getting a PS3, but I would have to sell my 360 because one console is enough for me. Now, I know this is the Playstation forum, but I was hoping I could get an honest opinion on the device itself.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
Can you be more specific on what you want to know?
Rigour_Mortise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rigour_Mortise
Member since 2006 • 873 Posts
Hmm honestly, it really depends on the kind of gaming you are into. Back in the early days of this generation I would have said PS3 is more for epic single player campaigns. 360 is more akin to multiplayer and Wii is tops for family and party games - but they all have such a mixed bag now. PS3 however is still my personal favourite with thanks to free online play (no gold subscriptions here!) and far better exclusives (look up Uncharted). But power wise and all that jargon, it is equal to the 360. Theres also less chance of a breakdown with PS3 -but you're not covered as well (they really balance each other out)
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've had my old fatty for a year and a half now and it's always worked perfectly. I really like the selection of games, and you've got a Blu ray player which is nice, Netflix streaming, free online, all that stuff. If you're worried about reliability, Sony offers an extra two year warranty (for three years total) for $60.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts
I have both consoles and the PS3 is my main machine. It's a great console and if you're interested in its exclusives, you most likely won't regret getting one.
Rutzfuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Rutzfuz
Member since 2010 • 1202 Posts

I've had my old fatty for a year and a half now and it's always worked perfectly. I really like the selection of games, and you've got a Blu ray player which is nice, Netflix streaming, free online, all that stuff. If you're worried about reliability, Sony offers an extra two year warranty (for three years total) for $60.

Jackc8

This is also my hoest opinion.

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

Before I bought a PS3, I had this dilemma of which console (360 or PS3) I should buy to complete what the Wii was offering me (a few superb first-party exclusives appealing to my nostalgia and very little everything else).

For a month or so I looked up exclusives, online games, specs, to help me make up my mind. In the end I conceded that the 360 probably had more great exclusives (in early '08 ) but the free online, Blu-Ray and better reliability (according to RROD/YLOD percentages) composed a better argument than a few better games did.

As of now, I can say with confidence that the PS3 exclusives (Uncharted, MGS 4, Demon's Souls, GT5, LBP, Killzone etc.) are a notch above what the 360 has to offer (even if there are some games I'd like to try like Reach or Super Meat Boy) and you still get to play all those great multiplatform games. I'm pretty happy with the choice I made nearly 3 years ago. That doesn't mean I'd spit on a 360, but now I have the money to buy one and I don't find it interesting enough to do so.

Lanezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lanezy
Member since 2004 • 2438 Posts

Can you be more specific on what you want to know?frostybanana

Thanks for all the replies so far.

To be a little more specific, I'm interested in knowing how the PSN compares to Xbox Live. One advantage is that PSN is free, but is it reliable? I hear horror stories of how Call of Duty: Black Ops is unplayable on PSN and things like that. And is there still a community for some of the earlier titles like MAG and Resistance?

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

When making this decision, weight the risks and rewards.

First thing to look at is games. You're losing a few exclusive, but then you're gaining some. Only you can decide which games are better suited to your tastes. For me, PS3 has everything I want and need.

Next look at what your getting for your money. Xbox has improved their hardware (wireless out of the box) etc. , but they still make you pay to play online. PS3 has free online service. I personally don't care about cross-game chat so this isn't an issue for myself. It's probably cheaper to get a 2nd phone line in my house than it is to pay for xbox live.

gial240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 gial240
Member since 2004 • 2019 Posts

[QUOTE="frostybanana"]Can you be more specific on what you want to know?Lanezy

To be a little more specific, I'm interested in knowing how the PSN compares to Xbox Live. One advantage is that PSN is free, but is it reliable? I hear horror stories of how Call of Duty: Black Ops is unplayable on PSN and things like that. And is there still a community for some of the earlier titles like MAG and Resistance?

I also switched the PS3 November of 09 and I've never had a problem with PSN. There is the occasional maintenance but Xbox has it to. As for the games, MAG still has a community and so does Resistance 2. Resistance Fall Of Man not so much but there is a small chance you can find a couple of games at the right time.

The only thing PSN is lacking compared to Xbox Live would be the amount of things you can do with your profile; mainly avatars.

BaraChat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BaraChat
Member since 2008 • 3144 Posts

I haven't played Black Ops in maybe two weeks (BC2!!), but I've never had a single problem with the game online. As far as other online titles go (I mainly play Black Ops, Burnout, BC2, LBP2 online), no real problem either except when I've had trouble finding matches in BC2 but that's a EA/Dice server problem.

I think Resistance 2 still has an active community, don't know about MAG.

dcontaldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dcontaldo
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
it's a great machine, good for gaming, but i would get what your friends have. if your a hardcore gamer think of what kind of game you want. ps3 has great exclusives like uncharted 2, demons souls, killzone series, etc etc
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts

To be perfectly clear, PSN is free for a reason. It's not better than Xbox Live. If anything, it's a step down. Of course, you can always get Plus and there's actually some nice content and extras to be had, but you have to pay for that. As for as reliability, PSN is as reliable as your internet connection will allow. I've personally never had an issue with connectivity problems or serious lag that wasn't a result of the game itself.
coltACP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 coltACP
Member since 2004 • 1044 Posts

Heya. I have had a fat ps3 for 3 years and a slim one for just over one year. You can use them as media centres to store all your movies and music (they connect to cinema systems an hi-fi's naturally) so they are great to have if your interested in a home cinema device. Games wise they have uncharted, metal gear solid 4 (the only reason i bought one) and a few other noteworthy exclusives like little big planet andKillzone(i'll admit it though i thought killzone 2 was atrocious). I am currently playing Battlefield bad company 2, Dead Space 2 so yes it gets the same games as Xbox, they run online perfectly well without having to pay extra (never had a problem with PSN).

The only thing that annoys me about PSN is the way they handle movies, i have downloaded movies on my FAT ps3 and there is no way to put them on my Slim one, same account, same trophies, same content downloaded, no dice, bit of an over sight (or Sony are money grabbing thieves).

Another note about the older one, sounds like an aircraft taking off compared to the slim when the fan kicks in lol.They are fairly cheap now and a good balance between gaming machine and media centre out of the box, no mods.

I must say though, the only high profile game i am actually looking forward to this year is Uncharted 3, (possibly resistance 3 if they can make it last longer than7 hours) not heard much else that i know will be good.The games that actually show off the hardwares capabilities uncharted 2 and Metal gear 4, Resistance 2 the rest are on par with anything the 360 can do.

A note about the Move, it has the potential to be as good as Motion plus, but again need the games to back it up (unfortunately i refuse to buy killzone 3 which uses the move).